Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

how do you know. It doesn’t close until tomorrow night? If the player really wants it it will happen as is usually the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I could give you four strong reasons and, given your post history, you’d just come back with, what I would consider, sh*t responses. So I’ll just say to a 90% degree of certainty he has another season to go at Liverpool.

Mod Edit: Warning applied for this post

Post edited by Necro on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don’t think he’ll go, but there’s no shortage of deadline day deals done (dddd) year in year out.

he should go. Haven’t Liverpool already bought another keeper to replace Allison? He’s not going to be the number 1 there. He should go as soon as possible. If it’s not now it will be January but that’s just another waste of half a season for him. He should tell them clearly he wants out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is Bosun Lawal out injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Forest’s initial bid was supposed to be £15m plus Matt Turner. Which is about £15.5m! So a long way to go to get to £25m. And while many sources say Liverpool’s asking price is £25m, that is not confirmed and I have seen £30m and £35m mentioned too. I can understand that as that’s what he’s worth to Liverpool, because it’s a certainty that, in addition to the cups, there will be some league and CL games where Liverpool will need a keeper to step in for Alisson.

Also, Caoimhin is guaranteed to start all Ireland games this year. Massive gap between him and the other available keepers, and when Bazuna gets fit again he won’t be playing for Southampton unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭TokTik

Can’t you buy out your contract once you’re in the last year or 2?? Was there not something called the Webster ruling?? Going off memory here.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

The keeper Liverpool bought is staying with Valencia this year. If Liverpool let Kelleher go now, they'll have to buy a second choice keeper. Can't see that happening, to be honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod: Can we please act like adults and stop all the bickering? A number of posts deleted and a warning applied. Let's keep it civil folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yup, something flagged in his medical will keep him out short term said Jonathan Walters. Well what he technically said was Lawal was signed with a long term view so the medical issue didn't turn them off but could have been an issue.

Yes I read that, so Liverpool have signed Mamardashvili for 25 million to take over from Allison next season but they want 25 to 30 million for their sub keeper Kelleher. They were willing to part with him if someone stumped up that money.

I think that’s poor from Liverpool and Kelleher is being badly treated. He’s contracted and Liverpool can of course ask for whatever they want but Kelleher in my opinion should have agitated for a move, instructed his agent to put it out there that he wanted a move and made it happen. There’s lots of ways of doing that.

Unless he’s been told that he will get a chance at being the number one when Alisson moves on and that he’ll be first pick because he’s already in the building and Mamardashvili will have to fight him for the spot? It doesn’t look that way as Kelleher will enter his last year of contract at the end of the season. He should have got out of there. Players can orchestrate transfers to happen in various ways, it’s been done all the time a thousand times before. He should have got a move out of there this summer. He might go in January or at the end of the season now but another season largely on the bench waiting for Alisson to get injured or to play in the Carabao Cup or whatever they call it now is not good for his career.

Was looking at the CL draw yesterday. They did a wee scene with these big name players in a kind of skit about how complicated the new CL system would work. They had Buffon, Figo and Zlatan. They also had Robbie Keane in it? Fair play Robbie but wasn’t expecting that.

Mark Travers possibly going nowhere now as talks of Kepa to Arsenal surface.

No he doesn’t. A contract is an insurance policy for a club but if a player makes it clear he wants to leave then it’s not in the club’s interest to keep an unhappy player.

When a player through his agent indicates he wants to move it comes to pass normally that arrangements are made for the move to happen and compromises are arrived at. It depends on how much the player really wants it.

In Kelleher’s case he may have been comfortable being number 2 for another year but he’ll have to go then by the looks of things anyway. He’s just delayed it and the question of whether another year as a number 2 at his stage of his career is the best outcome for him and his career is highly questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He Is powerful lad.

We really lack physical presence in middle. If he could devlop into a CM he could be big for us going forward. Although we need find few more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

too late in the window. I’d say even if 25 million bid comes in at this stage they’ll turn it down as liverpools backups won’t ever have played for the club and it’s too late to get a deal done for a replacement

Forest had all fcuking summer. The price tag is known, kelleher gave an interview at the start of summer which was basically a come and get me.

Forest come in 30 hours before the deadline with a lowball offer. Total morons.

forest:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/99d143e5-8dd1-4309-92ad-57cc8c8cd8a7#uiC197Au.copy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Not to not pick at other posts, but 15M +Matt Turner is actually 12M bid 😳

Not sure why some calling Forest Moran's while also saying Liverpool's valuation is not based on PL games.

Forest are not as bad this year in GK position with Sels (good enough) and Miguel (unproven but looks good) and last resort USA international GK Turner (not as bad as made out but not great either)

We were probably in for Ramsdale also, so from Forest point of view maybe they're testing Liverpool with a late bid for a player that doesn't want to be at Liverpool anymore to see what happens.

If anyone is Moran's, it's Liverpool for not sorting out their unhappy player earlier in the window. I mean they are still saying they are open to offers.

I still not convinced by Kelleher, especially at anything above 20M, but if he comes hopefully he proves me wrong, and at least he should get his opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

I'm not sure you understand how negotiations work. Waiting until 30 hours before the deadline and lowballing is a pretty common strategy. Nothing wrong with chancing their arm. Weird to call them morons.

• Advertisement

Liverpool don’t want to sell, don’t have to sell and don’t need to sell.

The 25 million valuation is too high but Liverpool don’t have to lower because they want to keep kelleher so they’ll sell if they get stupid money but it’s too late for that now probably at this stage.

forest (the club that paid 20 million for a centre back who never plays and were paying Harry arter 40 k a week up till a few months ago for 3 years) are morons because they are pursuing a dead deal for a player with hours left in the transfer window who was on sale at a given price tag for months. They could have played this lowball game months ago and unsettled kelleher. Now they’ve only unsettled Selz who’s effectively being given a vote of no confidence.

Kelleher wants to move but you call him “unhappy”. He may well be satisfied with the clubs position that he has a price tag and if it’s met he’ll be let go. There is no evidence Kelleher is unhappy.

Because they did the exact same thing last season waiting until the final day of the January transfer window before giving a low-ball offer. If I was Kelleher I'd even be wary of joining them. Their purist of him seems half arsed in that sure if we get him we get him and if not we'll play one of the other five or six keepers we've also signed recently.

good strategy when the club wants to sell, bad strategy when the clubs doesn’t want to sell

Yeah they offered €15M towards the final hours before the window closed in January.

Good strategy when the club who are buying him are not pushed either way. Nobody wants Kelleher, submit a bid to see where Liverpools head are at.

Calling them morons lacks an understanding of the most basic negotiation strategies.

It is too late in the window but if Kelleher really wanted to move he could have made it happen. I don’t think he wanted to burn bridges with Liverpool maybe? Too nice a guy perhaps or he weighed it up and it didn’t make sense to agitate too hard for the move? Clubs don’t care as long as they have squad cover and Liverpool are happy that he’s sitting there available to call on for this season if required and then they’ll dump him next season when they bring in Mamardashvili. They might even say you can still stay on as number 2 Caoimhin, it would save them the bother of getting a back up.

If Kelleher really wanted to leave, he needed to down tools and burn his bridges with the club and then they would have compromised on the fee and he would have got his move. I suppose if you weigh it up the nearer the end of contract the more options open up for the player concerned. So entering his last year of contract next season Kelleher could sign a pre contract with another club in January of 2026. At that point Liverpool might drop the price tag or just let him run his contract down and leave for free. He is condemning himself to a number 2 role for this season though and possibly right up until the end of his contract which has 2 years left IIRC unless agitates for a move and is willing to burn bridges to get it.

Adam Idah missed his flight in a pre season trip for Norwich because he wanted to move. He was condemned by some for doing so including one or two on here. They’re wrong. Adam was right. He wanted the move and he forced it to happen. For Caoimhin staying as number 2 at Liverpool if better options open up next season or even in January may have been a better call for him in his circumstances? He might get a better offer than Nottingham Forest in the next couple of windows? He’s still a number 2 keeper though at age 25.

Paying 40k a week for Harry arter for 3 seasons, paying 20 million for bench fodder, lowballing a club that doesn’t want to sell with hours left in the transfer window that you already lowballed for the same player in the previous window shows a lack of understanding of the most basic negotiation strategies.

Making the owners 23 year old son the man who runs the club and makes these decisions. Their business acumen is legendary.

Most of that isn't relevant to the Kelleher bid.

It's alright, you clearly don't understand negotiations in the same way you (claim) to understand player contracts. Can't know everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

You seem to have a bee in you bonnet about Forest. I guess it's been a while since anyone cared about us.

Harry Arther was brought in a long time ago, yes on inflated wages, but was playing for Ireland at the time, but it was him who screwed Forest and is a pure mercenary.

Didn't play well fell out with everyone, and instead of taking multiple opportunities to be sold and go on loan , preferred to sit on he's arse , training with reserves/youth team, take his paycheck , and didn't care about his playing career.

But it shows the other side of how much players can influence if they want to stay or go.

Also not sure what's wrong with the owners son involved in Forest. The owner is over regularly also for most home games, he has olympiacos also, and it will be the son the inherits his business and football clubs in the end .

As for Kelleher, you said we should not leave it this late in the window, but also give out that we bid in January also.

Remember Forest don't need a GK urgently either at the moment.

20M defender, Omobamidele, he was bought for potential and to be integrated into team, he played last year and already this year. Do you complaint about all the big teams with riches in the bench? Chelsea for eg , man c. Alvarez etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Ebosele moving to Watford in a move that will surprise nobody!

just think their transfer business in the cases mentioned is incredibly stupid. This current self defeating pursuit of Kelleher is more facepalm material. A tutorial in how not to sign a player.

I don’t care about forest, I was happy to see them back in the Prem because they are a proper club. Their front 4 is potentially interesting.

Troy Parrott’s AZ drawn vs Spurs, 8! Swiss model group games

An angle forest might be playing here is that they are registering their interest in the player ahead of making a move next summer at a price that will be lower…but I don’t know about that really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

i wonder what kind of banter will happen from the Irish fans with regards to Carsley. It's a bit of an unusual situation. Will he be welcomed or have the piss taken out of him for managing the old enemy. Do some English fans dissaprove of an ex Ireland international is managing them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Gas, I turned on one of their games this week and wondered why he had not joined Watford yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I doubt English fans care who he played for. He has an English accent and he's just one of plenty of English born-and-bred players who opted to play for Ireland, NI, Scotland and Wales. They don't tend to notice that as much as people from those countries. Sure, there are quite a few English people who consider Irish people to be "British" as it is and don't get why they can be unpopular.

England fans seem to have more rivalry with Scotland when it comes to the other countries from this part of the world.

I imagine there'll be the odd eejit who'll call Carsley a traitor or the likes, whereas most people will have moved on now that we have a permanent manager.

They'll be too busy trying to decide do we boo United/Liverpool players or just Rice and Grealish.

I'm surprised it took this long. Thought they'd do this within 12 months.

Luke McNally has joined the Irish contingent at Bristol City too. Signs a four year deal with them. Great move for him as they've started the season well and have a good young manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Robbie did say that he it had always been a "boyhood dream" of his to participate in a chat about a complicated champions league draw, though.

so Liverpool just rejected the bids below the asking price for a player they didn’t want to sell like I and anyone with any understanding of the transfer market predicted they would .

Forest left to marvel at Liverpool’s transfer acumen

you’ve got yourself a bit wound up about this transfer that never happened and that the player decided for himself that it wasn’t worth pushing too hard and burning bridges over. Another season at least as a number 2 beckons for Caoimhin. Enjoy the Carabao Cup.

Well you got yourself noticed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Ferguson doesn't even make the bench today. You'd wonder is there something else going on. Bench midweek for cup game and not used but fit for the Ireland squad

Yes but you seem to have difficulty with seeing other legitimate views on this topic?

It wasn’t exactly a revelation to declare that Liverpool put an exorbitant price on a players head because they didn’t need the money and it was more useful to them to keep a compliant player around the place that they could turn to when they were stuck.

It remains true also though that it’s not necessarily the best thing for Kelleher to continue as a number 2 and that he could have kicked up a fuss, burned his bridges and forced a move earlier in the window if he really wanted to. What was the worse thing that could have happened? They would have mended the situation and kept him for another year as a number two anyway. He had nothing to lose by trying to force the move but maybe he decided if it was a bigger club than Forest then he might have tried harder.

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ramsdales move probably affected Travers worse than Bazunu, with Neto replacing Ramsdale his Blackburn move was called off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement