Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2024-25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Yes. By kicking the ball away. If he didn't kick the ball away, and Veltman drove the ball off him it wouldn't be a yellow. You don't get a yellow unless you deliberately make a movement to stop the restart, which is what Rice done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He deliberatley made sure the free couldn't be taken quickly, he knew what he was doing. Deserved yellow and consideroing he knew he was on a yellow, rather stupid of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think the point is that he doesn’t get a yellow for such a light touch on the ball, if he doesn’t do it as the free kick is taken (think Veltman is ‘clever’ about making sure that’s the case aswell).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

TNT sound like they'll be donning black ties for the sad lose of Declan Rice

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Whatever the reason it's stupid from Rice to get involved already being on a yellow card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Arsenal are really clinging on, wasting as much time as possible.

Especially since his first had a light shade of orange off it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Ref rightly books a keeper for wasting time during injury time. But instead of adding on whatever time was wasted, he blows it up directly at the end of the stated added time! Makes no sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Baleba looks a player. Surely the next massive profit maker for Brighton.

Like a young Essien.

Only to the biased and blind.

Anyone with any semblance of knowledge about football knew it was never more than a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Good game. man of the match was the ref. Arsenal fans whining about him is ridiculous and embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ref couldn't make his mind up as to what level of physicality he wanted to allow. Out of his depth.

Romero is a top defender but too much of a lunatic to be considered the best 😂

• Advertisement

Whatever about the complaints, what game have you watched that ever seen a ref as man of the match. The best refs don't even get mentioned post game.

🤣 yeah he’s a bit mad alright but I think he’s managed to rein that in a bit.
    His tackling, positional sense, strength, and passing range is top notch.
    Speeds not bad either but that doesn’t matter when you’ve VDV next to ya!

You crawling into the Arsenal thread with your hot takes would be class as more pathetic by most I'd imagine.

Mod Edit: Warning applied

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

well you’re right of course refs don’t get motm but I think the ref did well to interpret what happened there accurately. He could easily have got it wrong, so when a ref gets it right it’s fair to acknowledge that, they get lots of stick when they get it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Caustic

Arsenal got their pockets picked there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

VVD has went back a bit over the last twelve months. I think it's the armband, he seems stressed a lot of the time since he became captain both for club and country.

I’m a spurs fan and I’m fairly happy with rice getting sent off from a fan perspective but from a footballing perspective I’d have to ask how rice got booked there and pedro didn’t for kicking it 30yards earlier on in the match which resulted in a delayed restart?

If that happened to a spurs player I’d be snapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Martin Keown looking stupid here. First pure Arsenal bias, then condescending tone to the Brighton boss, as if he had a cheek to try and get a result at The Emirates.

Mod: Keep it civil please. I've warned one post and deleted another responding to it. The game and incident can be discussed without the name calling.

Generally seems to be putting forward a view that you should be allowed cheat a little, as long as you don’t cheat a lot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Think Fabian has copped on pretty early. His English on a feature on Sky a couple weeks back was excellent. Distinct difference there post-match, which comes in handy when having to deal with idiots like Keown.

Everybody knows that Keown is Arsenal through and through. It's not stupid when you know that.

Yeah it's not so much the decision it's the lack of consistency as always. Rice is silly to get involved on a yellow, no question but then you have to ask why Pedro isn't booked in the first half for the same thing really, which we've been told repeatedly they're supposedly clamping down on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Yeah, but why bring the managers age into it? I get the first bit, but not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think these two posts are it on a nutshell.

I think also adding a rule where it’s ref interpretation and because the penalty is a yellow VAR can’t intervene on. I can guarantee they’ll change the application of this rule over the next month or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

ridiculous 2nd yellow imo. The level of inconsistency in the English game is off the scale. Brentford player on the ground last week punches the ball away - no 2nd yellow. Rice tips the ball 6 inches with his foot - 2nd yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,336 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was he booked for kicking the ball away, or stopping the quick free kick, or both?

Tbf, I'm still salty over irwin getting a second yellow vs Liverpool in 99!

'Kicking the ball away' isn't a specific offense called out

'Delaying the restart of play' is the actual offense. 99% of the time, it's because the ball is kicked away so it's much of a muchness. But in much the same way, a player refusing to retreat or holding onto the ball or dancing in front of a FK to be taken or pulling his willy out would prevent play from restarting, it is treated the same.

Rice was stupid, as was the defender, but in black and white it's the right call. Personally I'd like the officials to exact some reasonable common sense - well, maybe not these officials.

What are you suggesting would be common sense. If you are suggesting that because Rice already had a card that he should let it go, he can't. Preventing a free kick from being taken is an automatic yellow.

Generally people tend to view ‘common sense’ as being the thing that leads to the outcome they want.

Rice did a stupid thing and got punished for it. Others have and will definitely do stupid things and get away with it, but that’s a conversation about those incidents rather than this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

There are a lot of valid complaints to be had about the ref but Rice absolutely deserved both of his yellow cards.

Not suggesting he should let it slide because he was already booked, as I said, the ref was correct in his interpretation of the rules (not to mention Rice was stupid), but the defender was also taking advantage of the situation kicking the ball towards Rice, who was actually walking away from the foul - ideally perhaps the ref should review the incident itself as opposed to making it fit a prescribed set of rules. Put it down to two players taking the piss and drive on.

No point getting into demanding pure, explicit consistency when others are freely allowed to boot the ball away down the pitch to prevent a throw-in being taken quickly and taking no action - and then saying the ref's hands are tied when a fairly innocuous event results in a team being reduced.

I'm no fan of Rice, or Arteta's whingey Arsenal side, but I think a modicum of common sense could have resolved that today.

It's part of the issue with football nowadays - trying to make every incident definable within a binary set of rules.

Rice kicked the ball away, it was only a slight touch, but it prevented the free kick being taken, it's a yellow card all day everyday and I think every referee gives that yellow because it's clearly stated in the rules of the game.

This is the rule,

3. Offences and sanctions

If, when a free kick is taken, an opponent is closer to the ball than the required distance, the kick is retaken unless the advantage can be applied; but if a player takes a free kick quickly and an opponent who is less than 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball intercepts it, the referee allows play to continue. However, an opponent who deliberately prevents a free kick being taken quickly must be cautioned for delaying the restart of play.

But Rice did the thing he was booked for. Everything else there feels like logic gymnastics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The ref didn't book this in the same game....

https://x.com/billycarpy/status/1829868628130345302

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Yeah and he should have, that's a mistake.

He was still correct to give Rice a second yellow.

Has the whistle been blown before he does that? If not then it's no foul

Don't think anyone is disputing what he was booked for - I even literally say it in what you quoted and a couple posts before that ??

I'd question the incident should alternatively be judged on it's own merits. In this particular case, I'd argue there was a little more at work than a restart of the play. People can say the defender was 'clever' or whatever, and that Rice kicked the ball 6 inches away, but I think a ref should be able to look at that incident and use his own judgement. I doubt he even saw the ball being kicked at Rice to begin with

Don't ever change Everton……….please !!!

🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Everton my god how did they throw this away

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Surely Dyche will be shown the door. Moyes reunion maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's a major part of Arsenal and City's game, cynically stopping the game and delaying restarts until their defence is set. It happens non stop, and it causes many secondary incidents, like the one with Jesus last time out pull the Wolves player down on him and getting 'choked'/not getting choked. These secondary flashpoints can be avoided if the cynical nonsense is clamped down on, as in the case with Rice. He just barely flicked the ball away but he did flick it away and he knew exactly what he was doing, and was carrying out what the Arsenal players are obviously been coached to do.

Play silly games, win silly prizes - if Arteta wants to play this way, he shouldn't complain when refs call them out. It's part of the equation he'll have to add up, and take the rough with the smooth. The fact the ref may or may not have called another incident differently is beside the point-the ref got this call right.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I was coming on to say the same thing. Arteta and Pep are masters of the subtle "dark arts" with their teams. Little pulls and drags here and there, standing over or flicking the ball away on free kicks. They usually always get away with it, but didn't today, they can't really have any complaints about that card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Jamie Redknapp is coming up to 20 years as an analyst/pundit on Sky and he still talks nonsense.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement
Advertisement