Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭treascon

Anyone looking for a site in the Dordogne region we are just back from Camping Le Paradis and can recommend. We drove from Roscoff to the site in one day. Would not do that again. Very very long drive and hefty tolls! Next to no Irish there, mainly Dutch. We travelled with our caravan which I would not do again. The pitches are quite small & compact with difficulty navigating the caravan in & out. The Dordogne region is absolutely beautiful with so much to see. It will not disappoint. We normally travel to the Vendee region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

Does anyone have a recent update of Sandaya's Sequoia Parc or Chateau les Marais?

I've read reviews from a good few years ago (200o, 2014, etc) that said there were big problems with mosquitoes, but if anyone had a more recent review itdtbe greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

We're heading there next year but going via Bilbao. Just short of 8 hours with €40 tolls according to via Michelin. Just the wife and myself so we're not really fussed about the long drives and we actually enjoy the longer ferry too.

We've never done the Dordogne so looking forward to it. Looks really good on the videos I've seen and looking forward to going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭treascon

You won’t be disappointed. I had suggested that route to my husband but he’s not a fan of the really long boat journey. We had a really long road journey instead 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi. Have you priced up Brittany Ferries?, I know it’s Rosslare to Cherbourg but from 5th returning 18th comes in around €1400

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭corkgirl17

Went last year to Sequoia Park, Mosquitos were a big problem. Lovely site but wouldn't go back as we were eaten alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭spuddy

It's right beside a marsh is why you had so many unwelcome guests! Sites near the coast generally have fewer of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I used to go the long drive down but I'm happy now to sit eat sleep on a ferry to Spain for between 28/30 hours as opposed to the 17/19 hours on the Rosslare/Cherbourg/Roscoff run and then face the long drive through France.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Thanks to all who replied to my ferry questions.

Recent reviews here and on tripadvisor have put me off Clarys Plage.

Le Pin Parasol looks very nice. As far as I can tell they haven't opened booking for next summer yet though. It looks more up market than Clarys. Could I expect it to be more expensive? Hoping to book in early July, before UK and French schools break up.

[edit] Ignore. I can see Le Pin Parasol is available for booking on Eurocamp site.

Post edited by Evil_g on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Are you sure the bottom bunks will fold? Did Brittany ferries at Easter and Irish Ferries (back today!). I have not seen bottom bunks folding on any of them . Only ever seen top bunks folding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

You have me questioning myself now :D

I definitely think one of the bottom bunks folded up, as there is room for a travel cot if you request one.

It was another couple who put us on to the idea, as they told us about the kids sleeping on the mattress on the floor.

But to answer you're question, I wouldn't be 100% sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭Heroditas

On the WB Yeats, the bottom bunks fold away to create sofas and that makes a load more room in the 4 person interior cabins anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭rex_turner

For Brittany Ferries it will definitely work on the Pont Aven - we have done this in the past. I'm not sure about the Amorique, the beds are always down on that and haven't tried to fold them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

we were on Pont Aven this year .only one of the bottom beds folded up . The other flipped over and became a couch

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭rex_turner

There is enough room to take the mattresses off both beds, fold the couch back up and the two mattresses will fit on the floor together - we've done it quite a few times. It's a bit of a faff and no additional space to walk alongside the mattresses but works well with small children who might otherwise roll off the bed but are too big for cot or if you want to use the couch as an extra bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Hi all, any advice on a nice town to stay about 2 hours from Cherbourg en route from the Vendee region? Just want yo split up the journey back so we are closer to Port on final day. Would prefer not to stay anywhere too busy as trying to keep the stress of driving in traffic to a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Thanks, this is exactly what I plan to do next year. The 3year old will definitely roll out of the bed, so better to have the mattress on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mrchips

smappen is a great place to start:
    https://www.smappen.com/app/map/0cXoBbQIYVZqx2ee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Seems like spam…?

Have a look at Sainte-Mère-Église, very interesting town and I stayed there 6 years back and found it ideal to relax as well as kill time in.

Bayeux too, but you'd regret not spending two days here at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭I dont know

Rory's Travel Club are advertising the 2 adults + 3 kids - €999 deal with Kelair for next May again, ideal if your kids get a week off in May

departure dates

6, 8, 13, 15, 20, 22 May 2025

WHAT is Included

· Return ferry crossing with car & passengers – 2 adults /3 children (under 15 years)

· Irish Ferries – Dublin Cherbourg on board W B Yeats

· 1 x 4 berth Inside Cabin each way

· 7 nights Mercure mobile home with decking & Gas BBQ

· Available at Domaine des Ormes (6,8,13,15,20,22 May 2025 departures) – 2.5hrs drive from Cherbourg.

· Available at Camping Les Genets & La Yole (22 May 2025 departure) – 4.5hrs drive from Cherbourg.

Optional Extras:

· Upgrade to 3 bed Model - €10 per night per party.

· Upgrade to 3 Bed 2 bath with A/C €30 per party per night

· Upgrade to window cabin €20 each way.

· Possibility to extend your stay.

· We supply duvets with Duvet covers – you can bring your own linen & Towels, or a pack is available to rent- prebook (family of 5 €100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

We stayed in Pontorson for 1 night on way to Vendee this year. Very close to Mont Saint-Michel too, so was able to visit there for a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭flyer_query

Thanks to those who replied to the above, still haven't found the ideal camp so if any other readers have any ideas appreciate it.

Other posters have posted similar questions over the last few pages and from research the area between Nantes and la Rochelle has loads of ideal options but 1 hr south of La Rochelle does not seem to have the same options (english kids club, some Irish), I am getting the feeling that factors like the swamp area (mosquitos) and once you are below La Rochelle people will generally fly rather than ferry and therefore will just further south limit the demand and therefore the options.

Bayeaux, Caen, Mont St Michel or even Fougères.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭spuddy

We've done Mont St Michel & Fougeres over the years. Both are both just off the A84, handy when coming from Vendee, and roughly 2 hrs from Cherbourg.

Mont St Michel is the more dramatic choice, if you've not done it before, it is well worth the visit. Just make sure you have enough time to enjoy it (you've got to take a shuttlebus out/back from the carpark these days). Fougeres is lovely spot, not too big, has an amazing castle, and I'd say is probably the better choice if you're on a tighter schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭Schrodingercat

Just to give another opinion on this, we were in Sequoia this year for the last 2 weeks of July, and had no issues. We were worried when we read the reviews, but bought Mosquito bracelets, that we wore most (but forgot some ) days. I have heard some people are more attractive to Mosquitos. We may have been lucky.

Really like the site. Good pool. Restaurant and Pizzeria were good. Good playgrounds .Kids club was in French, but translated for English speaking kids. Mostly French , with a bunch of English, Dutch and Irish. Quiz and Kids disco each evening, and then some other show.

Its about a 10 minute drive to a beach, and île d'Oléron is a short drive as well.

We would have no problems going back to it or recommending it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭Schrodingercat

On Irish ferries if you lift the mattress there is a guard rail you can fold up to stop falling out of the bunk . 100% on the top ones anyway. We didn't check the bottom ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

Looking into a few places to bring the kids and came across la recredes theme park. Has anyone gone there, we have a 4 and 6 year old. Also if tis good has anyone stayed in the campsite would really look into staying there if it was good. The prices are great

This one hadn't crossed my radar but it does look good so thanks. I've searched this thread and reviews over the years look good with great access to beach and cycle path as well as a nice village within walking distance being big pluses.

Anyone visit it in 2024 and able to give a more up to date review? Thinking about the kids camps (english?), are there many Irish (for kids to meet) and whats the pool look like (only downside I can see is no indoor pool for the wet days and slides maybe limited as well as some trip advisor feedback about loungers being scarce).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Beaufort Boy

We were there last year and I'd go back, great value. Loads of Irish there in late June/early July, plenty for the kids to do at night (play soccer or volleyball, bug their parents for change to play games in the arcade etc.) Not sure about the kids' clubs, ours didn't go. Nighttime entertainment wasn't great, but it was an easy cycle to the village where you could go for a swim and have churros and beer afterwards on the beach. One thing about the pool, it's shaped like a cone in that it's shallow around the side and deep in the middle, so you'd need to mind your kids in there if they're small. Slides are grand, ours liked them. The site itself is really relaxed, and you can cycle on dedicated paths to Indian Forest adventure park, great way to spend an afternoon. Pick a cabin down near the sea, some of them have big gardens. We were in 106 I think.

• Advertisement

Beaches there range from wet'n'wild at the Atlantic coast 3.2kms away just beyond the lighthouse (Côté Sauvage), to very calm and idyllic 4.4kms away (Plage des Pins de Cordoua). All easily accessible by bike.

We were there this year with two other families from the middle to end of July. Hardly any Irish people there (maybe another 3 families and maybe 3 British families).

Our kids hung around with the other two families' kids. They didn't bother going to the kids camps because, being honest, they looked shite with the kids standing around most of the time as the animation team explained everything and nauseam.

Pool is very nice. They have dedicated roped-off lanes if you want to do lengths. Slides are good and are supervised so they don't get too manic.

Evening entertainment is alright. I loved the whole bar area though. Bar staff were quick and it's nice to sit outside and watch the world go by. Games room was quite good too. A little market is also set up twice a week near the bar/pool area so some vendors can come in and sell the usual tourist stuff ranging from saucisson to t-shirts and "jewellery".

We loved that we could pick our mobile home and they were a big step up from the Eurocamp ones. Lovely decking and spacious with a proper awning over the decking for when it rains.

Loungers weren't scarce when we were there, provided you don't head down at 3pm. It usually gets busy by 12, eases off at lunchtime and then gets busier later in the afternoon before easing off around 5.

Some lovely walks and cycle paths in the area which we loved and Royan and La Rochelle are two nice day trips. Luna Park is also great for the amusement rides and it's 5mins drive away.

Hi folks. I've skimmed the last hundred pages or so, and I don't think I've seen this mentioned. Is it possible to get a babysitter for an evening through these sites? Specifically, we've booked Le Littoral through Sandaya.

I've never seen babysitting facilities in any of the campsites we've been in. The closest was a sort of evening kids club in La Garangeoire where you could check the kids in for a couple of hours

Thanks. I have vague memories of being babysat at various camp sites back in the late eighties, early nineties, but maybe modern liability and vetting requirements have made that too much hassle for the sites. Would have thought there'd be demand for it all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭dzer2

Used to get the girls working in the kids club to do it

hey, would you mind sharing a review of this site, it’s on our short list. Was it good? Been to Sandaya in France and found them good.

Appologies to others, a little off topic as this is a Spain site

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I’ve been meaning to post about our trip on here but haven’t had a chance since we got back 🤣 I really enjoyed the site. I was there back in the late 90s before it was a Sandaya site and I thought it would be nice to take my own kids there for a bit of nostalgia. We’ve booked for next summer as well.

The site is well organised and nicely laid out, from what I experienced. We stayed in one of the “colours” mobiles and we were happy with it. It had air con, which we definitely made use of, and both bedrooms were en-suite which was handy too. Kitchen/living area was quite compact but we didn’t really sit indoors, it was mostly on the deck outside, which was very pleasant. Im not sure what the kitchen would be like to cook in - we ate dinners out.

The supermarket on site was great, I was expecting to be absolutely gouged in it but it’s the same price as others off the site. The snack bar was pricey enough though, we got lunch there on our first day and were shocked at the price of it. The Pals area in general does seem to be pricey for Spain though. The restaurant was very nice, we ate there twice and both times really enjoyed it.

I can’t comment on the evening entertainments because we didn’t end up going to any of them, but they sounded good fun. The pool area was very nice and they are very strict about not letting people reserve sun beds, which was great! We had no problem getting sun beds when we went, and there’s also a large grass area that you can put your towels so if it’s really busy that’s also an option.

If there’s anything else you’d like to know, ask away and hopefully I can answer 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Hi, sailing to.Bilbao planning to spend a.week there in a campsite and then a week in mid france before cherhourg home

Any recommendations on campsites near bilbao and the secondly, halfway to cherbourg?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Does anyone know if Irish Ferries still give a free trip to the UK when you travel with them to France? I know it was a thing a few years ago and kinda hoping it is still there.

BTW, got a decent deal for the Vendee in June next year, 10 nights in Clarys Plage from the 8th June, Ferry/accommodation for just over 1k ( 1 adult 2 kids ) Its been a long time since I seen it that cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Stena withdrawing Stena Vision from Rosslare Cherbourg route at end of October. Looks like it's going to be a 1 ship operation next summer 😯

https://stenaline.com/media/stories/stena-line-announces-change-to-rosslare-cherbourg-service/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭browne_rob5

Had booked the Vision for the way home next August but see that sailing is gone now. No contact from Stena yet. Will book on the wb yeats to Dublin the following day instead I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Is the Stena Horizon smaller than the vision or similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,448 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's much smaller, but it's still a good ship.

We went over on the Vision but home on the Horizon this year.

Six of us squeezed into a 4 berth cabin on the Vision, but we had a 6 berth on the Horizon that was massive.

The Vision seemed to be more of a cruising ferry, with lots of outside cabins, a sun deck with a bar, a spa, lots of play places for kids, big shop, table service restaurant etc.

The Horizon was more functional, but still very good.

Went on to answer my own question

https://stenaline.com/about-us/our-ships/stena-vision/ - Vision Holds 569 cars and 1300 pax
    and

Stena Line Horizon - Horizon Holds 200 Cars and 970 Pax

Thats some drop on cars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

HI, If your kids like to meet other Irish/English might be best to book with an Irish Operator (such as Kelair),

Family Camping Holidays in France, Spain & Italy | Kelair Campotel (https://www.campotel.com/)

their mobile homes are all in a row in a distinct part of the campsite so you'd be virtually guaranteed to meet other Paddy's'; when we were in Cypsala a few years ago we stayed in the Parks own accommodation/lodges but in the evenings when out strolling around the campsite I'd see the Irish in groups. Some of the parks are so big, there may be many Irish/English but if they are spread all over the place you might never see them.

We were in Delfin Verde last year and you could hear Irish accents all over the place but there were no Irish near our lodge. My kids wouldn't be bothered about meeting other Irish / English so wasn't an issue. eldest girl made pals with 2 French girls near our unit and Son did the soccer tournament with hundreds (literally hundreds) of Dutch - they probably spoke English better than him!!

Yea I travelled on the Vision from Rosslare this year and liked it, As you say of horizon is more functional than thats good, Pity its slightly less sailings now.

We went on a friday and got there on saturday which suited as the check into campsite was on Saturday but they only seem to leave Rosslare on Thursday and Saturday next summer (End of june anway) so won't suit alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭oleard1987

We booked C'ote Ocean in Angoulins last year .Nice tidy place with two pools and restaurant next to one of the pool -Very busy people wise but very boring for kids -We had a 13 and 9 year old and there was very little to do onsite .So we had to plan activities daily

This year we have booked Bonne plage on recommendation of some friends -Does anybody know when Ryanair release the flights for June 2025 to La rochelle/Bordeaux ?

Stena ferry news is not great. Be interested to see what "deploy additional support vessels to the route during periods of peak demand from freight and travel customers” means. It sounds like a ship which is not as good will be hired in. Either way poor planning from Stena Line, they should not have released their 2025 calendar on sale if they were unsure, and they shouldn't announce this without also announcing the calendar for the relief ferry. Its going to result in passengers going with BF / IF.

I can also see this resulting in price increases as less ships sailing, I can see IF quickly reviewing their current 20% off offers, they were finally looking like ok value once this discount was factored in.

The Vision was my favorite ferry on the route. You could tell that the ship was designed for another route and not the ultra competitive IRL to FR one. The supreme cabins were great with kettles and free breakfast for very little extra money, even preferred it over the WB Yeats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Drive into France and the campsites are much better and generally the weather too. Only 2hours away. Just my opinion

Campsites in northern Spain tend to be a bit basic

Advertisement