Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia-Ukraine War

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭rogber

Doesn't sound like the Ukrainians think they can hold it or that Kursk is going to balance it out:

“The situation is extremely difficult,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky conceded on Wednesday.

“If we lose Pokrovsk,” military expert Mykhaylo Zhyrokhov warned, “the entire front line will crumble."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

I knew you would have an answer. You always have one and it is always other posters that are incorrect.

No need to reply, you have now the privilege to be on my ignore list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

It was a big gamble to do. It might of worked if Putin had of made kursk a priority and transferred troops from Pokrovsk. But he hasn't. I say Russian high command for once are happy in the sense OK it's bad Ukraine took over a part of Russian territory but it's some of Ukraines finest troops doing this. There not in eastern Ukraine where were advancing so leave them where they are in kursk and we will deal with them in due time while we take the territory the donbass region. It's more Ukraine in kursk are digging in but I'm sure there loosing forces from drones considerably there as Ukraine probably can't bring in a lot of tons of jamming equipment and heavy digging equipment to make better trenches etc. It's annoying as hell for Ukraine but I really think there going to have to call a full mobilisation from ages 18 and up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Happy to be on your ignore list. Instead of making petty jibes all day you could have just listened to the 10 minutes of a very reputable publication and responded to what was said. But no, you decided in advance you dislike the message so it has to be wrong and attack the messenger instead. Waste of time

• Advertisement

It was a big gamble and I don't want to believe it was a big mistake though at the moment it doesn't look good and the backlash could be pretty strong, both from Ukraine's allies (who were not briefed in advance) and within Ukraine itself. Let's hope all is not lost and the damage can be minimised. A couple of weeks ago it seemed like a brilliant move so maybe this has just been a very bad week but not a definitive setback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

is it possible some of that cash designated for maintaining the nuclear submarine fleet was also pocketed ? It seems to be a trait in almost every area of russian society.

Almost certainly. Corruption from top to bottom (irony being that the prosecutors are probably the most corrupt of all):

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/kremlin-says-military-corruption-investigations-will-lead-trial-2024-08-30/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

If that quote is true then it means Ukraine is running out of soldiers. If they collapse they'll end up losing everything east of the Dnipro.

But I can't see why Ukraine would admit this publicly so maybe it's not true and they want to lure Russia into a trap. Time will tell, no point speculating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I doubt the front line in the east would collapse. Losing Pokrovsk would be a set back but not the end of everything. I suspect at this stage a lot of psychological warfare is on the go. Anything to further unbalance the Russian war machine.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

It's a fair point, I didn't listen to the podcast after my first post :) But I have listened to it just now.

I know they are reporting on the facts and taken as they are, there is undeniable evidence that Russia is getting what it needs in a roundabout way. However is seems very naïve that the report is saying "This means sanctions are not working". Look at it this way, Russia was importing, for talks sake, ball bearings from Europe at €100 per kilo. if Europe was selling them to Russia for €100 per kilo, chances are they are selling them to Kazakhstan for €100 also. Kazakhstan KNOWS Russia is desperate for them, not to mention they need to cover the logistical costs for getting them in and then out. Kazakshstan could very well be charging what would be €300 per kilo, plus a fee for the fact that they can only trade in rubles now.

So the sanctions may not be BLOCKING purchases of components for now, but they are undoubtedly making them far more expensive. It's not surprising that some of these countries are willing to risk additional sanctions from the US or Europe for now as it's incredibly profitable to do this business. But you only have to look at the reports that China of them pulling back from visible support due to fear of secondary sanctions.

I think the belief that a few sanctions would be slapped on Russia and they would be uncompromisingly blocked from the components the sanctions define is just ridiculous. And I certainly wouldn't expect anyone who defines the sanction packages to believe they are absolute. They will surely be aware of how world economics operate, in particular how opportunistic some countries/organizations will view this situation.

Look, I'm not an expert in economics, but it honestly feels like this is a very shallow report, based on a single collection of metrics. Perhaps that's the intention, just to highlight those metrics in particular, as a more comprehensive view of the situation would require more time than available in the podcast. But when taking into account the logical details we know about the war, the aversion in the world to rubles, the workforce demographic issues, the countless attacks on oil/petrol refineries, the communication with countries like North Korea, India and China, its not hard to draw the conclusions that Russia simply CAN'T be "just doing fine" with all these sanctions among everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Putin seems to be thinking of visiting a country that has ratified the ICC (Mongolia next week apparently). Dipping his toe in the water of making international trips other than to clients (Belarus), fellow pariahs (North Korea) or his managers (China)

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c0e852r50x7o

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AngeloArgue

There's no collapse in Donbass. Due to limited resources (thanks Biden and Scholz) the Ukrainians traded some area for an over all strategic advantage. It's like in a game of chess were you might exchange queens. Except Ukraine has traded their pawn for the Russian queen (Kursk).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Leaving aside the economic damage aspect (shortages and higher costs for Russia), I think the sanctions have had less effect on Russia's war machine and abiity to supply itself in that regard than expected. Unfortunately they are operated on a sort of honour system. I remember David O'Sullivan talking about the implementation of EU sanctions, mentioning how they try and do outreach and diplomacy with the countries helping Russia evade them, and I assume there is a sort of eternal whack-a-mole game that goes on with customers in such countries, that are fronts, with Russia as the final end consumer. It's a nonsense really.

To seriously restrict the flow of these goods, they would need to make some examples at both ends of the chain. Fining of companies and even punishment for company officers that turned out to have focussed solely on the profit to be made and did not bother "knowing the customer" (or ignored who the real customer was). Apply some secondary sanctions on the countries that have been repeatedly asked, and have shown no willingness to help with this.

This is going to anger the companies, it is going to affect their bottom line, it is going to enrage EU trading partners like Turkey and China (doing this via Hong Kong) too. It's going to harm our own economies.

Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion it's been decided that it just isn't worth going to such lengths & trouble/difficulty to aid Ukraine. Ironically I think it is the market fundamentalist ideology long promoted by US and UK organs like the Economist that helped develop this mindset of putting free markets & the profits above all in politicians, business leaders etc. (arguably elevating it above our future security and long term safety perhaps, in case of Russia sanctions?)

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭deadduck

But doesn’t a huge amount of frontline logistics flow through Pokrovsk?? It likely won’t mean a collapse in the front line, but it seems it will make things a lot more difficult for the Ukrainians

‘The West’ need to stop insisting the Ukrainians fight with one hand tied behind their backs. The resistance the Ukrainians have put up, against such a much larger neighbour, has been Herculian, to say the least. At an earlier stage in the war, the ‘Real Politik’ might(?) have been understandable, but Russia’s red lines have been proven to be bullshit, multiple times, so let the Ukrainians have at it. They have proven themselves a very impressive force, imagine what they could do if fully tooled up…

And even then, it’s not like Western/NATO troops are being deployed to Ukraine. The Ukrainians have asked for help, and certain countries have chosen to provide assistance. But to send them missiles like the Storm Shadows or ATACMs, and then say you can only fire them so far??? **** that, you’ve asked for help, here it is, off you go.

As has been said on this thread multiple times, if Putin and his cronies (and the 100’s of 1000’s of souls he’s sent to their lonely death) wanted to end the carnage, they could turn heel, and piss off back to the 2014 borders. If they choose not to, they should reap the whirlwind of everything Ukraine can throw at them, whether that be ammo that’s been domestically produced or donated from the West

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Ozark707

How much longer can they keep going losing territory in the Donbass though. If the reports of them sending an elite unit to defend Pokrovsk are true then maybe it shows that they feel that they must not cede that town to Russia given its strategic importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

Unconfirmed reports on various SM sources claim Sergei Lavrov is dead……

Ukraine's Representative to UN hints Lavrov may have already passed away | RBC-Ukraine

Yes it's always hard to tell exactly what's going on. As always, will take time for things to become clear

At least you took the time to listen to it and actually I don't think our interpretation is so wildly far apart. The message is clearly: Russia is getting around these sanctions, albeit at a high price, and yes the sanctions are having an effect, but more needs to be done because Russia is still getting a lot of the stuff it needs. I hope more action will be taken to try and tackle the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Another 25 years at current rates, Donbass is big and Russian gains are tiny

Meanwhile refinery and thermal power plant in Moscow are on fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Oh ,I hadn't seen about the refinery in Moscow having gone up ,

That'll cast a dark shadow over the kremlins war .. 😉😁

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭thereitisgone

If they could sustain these attacks near Moscow would be good to bring thge reality of war to the Moscovites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

not least because the people would get to vote on it. I like living in a country where politicians cant impose their will (thinks back to the debacle of Anglo Irish when living in Ireland). Not a chance Switzerland joins nato etc. Like Ireland we rely on our geography plus unlike Ireland we have a well armed army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I guess “every little helps”- but given the control he has over the people, I don’t think it will be pressure to end the war that will come- more pressure to bomb back Ukraine to stop the attacks . Yes there are people who want to overthrow the Russian elite but they’re heavily policed and suppressed - we’ve had hope before seeing demonstrations on Russian streets but it hasn’t progressed to anything .

some interesting stats and commentary here - some nice increases in discontentment of the Russian people which is always nice to hear - also including the challenges Ukraine faces in how it uses the same missiles donated from different EU countries -looks like a good website kept up to date daily - apologies if posted previously

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-august-30-2024

Russian state-owned polling agencies are recognizing limited upticks in Russian domestic discontent towards Russian President Vladimir Putin and Russian authorities amid the Ukrainian incursion into Kursk Oblast. 

The Public Opinion Foundation, a Russian state-owned polling institution, published a poll on August 30 that it conducted on August 25 showing that 28 percent of respondents expressed outrage or dissatisfaction with the actions of Russian authorities over the past month.[13] This is up from 25 percent and 18 percent in polls that the Public Opinion Foundation conducted on August 11 and July 28, respectively.[14] Respondents to the Public Opinion Foundation poll have not expressed such high dissatisfaction since polling conducted in November 2022, following the first month of the deeply unpopular partial mobilization in Russia.[15] The Russian state-owned Public Opinion Research Center (VCIOM) noted that Putin's approval rating fell by 3.5 percent to 73.6 percent between August 12 and 18 — a record fall in Putin's approval rating, 

I think we’ve all been scratching our heads on that one- I don’t think historians will be kind to the EU country leaders involved .

Surely they realise that Russia taking Ukraine will simply mean millions of displaced Ukrainians rushing the EU borders , countless numbers slaughtered and countless numbers of young children and babies kidnapped and sold to Russian families .

There are a lot of challenges facing Europe right now- but I don’t see this as a small issue and they won’t be able to contain it long term.

Any thoughts from people here or external references if all constraints were lifted tomorrow morning on how Ukraine uses the weapons donated- would it put Europe on a path of war or would it put pressure on Russia to call a truce?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

It's just very difficult to see the attacks that would be needed to really make a difference in places like Moscow actually happening. The chances of the people rising up is next to zero with the control Putin and his cohorts have over the country .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Hah!, he died again!? I remember it was reported he died 2 years ago as well

I'd put that source in the same file as when it was widely reported years ago that kim jung un and Putin had weeks to live

seems like the only way Ukraine can win this war is by drone warfare

Yes, economic destruction of Russia is the way to go.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

I cannot understand why there is nearly always someone ‘on site’ just before the bomb/drone explodes filming the whole thing. Anyone know. I thought that Putin would not allow such thing/anything being filmed /photographed without his permission. Or/ and the local guards/good Russian citizens would beat you up and smash your camera

• Advertisement

The sound of the drones will alert the camera-happy people.

The world has changed as Putin literally wants to dismantle the post WW2 conventions that made Ireland rich while outsourcing or defence to others

It amuses me that we and Swiss think that neutrality will somehow save us is Putin goes nuclear on our neighbours in UK and Germany respectively (both are top of his list)

Or we have another attack like last week and remaining Ukrainian reactors melt down

Radiation and refugees and economic collapse won’t give two **** about our borders

A lot of them seem to have a dog ready to add barking sound effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I’m curious when they can ramp up drone production to such a level that they can carry out these attacks on a daily basis.

Then major damage can be done to the Russian economy, and by extension their war machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Putins mistress and children live in Switzerland (wonder why there?) so I dont think there will be any nuclear fallout blowing across its borders. The prevailing North Atlantic South Westerlies will be more effective for us than any military initiatives could be.

We are already socially imploding under the hordes of migrants Putin and his buddies are deliberately driving into Europe

I rather Ukraine is armed now and wins, while they have the chance and Putin’s war appetite is being held in check, than hope that wind holds back the chaos that could be unleashed if half of the European continent is uninhabitable for next 50,000 years all because European leaders learned no lessons from our not so distant history

Once again, last week “ordinary Russians” not only deliberately targeted a dam but Ukraines remaining nuclear plants

How is it even a “choice” or “dilemma” to arm Ukraine and keep it armed? I just don’t get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭jackboy

Because the US does not want Ukraine to do enough damage to cause the Putin regime to collapse with unpredictable after affects. The US are trying to titre the weapons to Ukraine carefully to do a lot of damage to Russia, but not too much damage too fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There is no "path to war".

Macron could literally go stick a finger up Putin's rear end live on TV and nothing would happen. Russia can't take a province of Ukraine so would be scared shttless of a war with the EU.

NIce. Give Russia a taste of their own medicine.

I think it's definitely a good call that. Hurt Russia on the battlefield but really hurt the higher ups in Russia by targeting their oil and gas refineries. If they can't finance the war then it stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

maybe. But Switzerland has areas of terrain that are easy to defend, a well equipped army and compulsory military service.

Ireland has its location, an assumption Britain would come to aid and no attractive natural resources like oil.

Switrlzerland neighbours Austria Italy and Liechtenstein are not in a position to invade. So that leaves France and Germany. Belligerence from either of those would not be accepted by the German or French people. Biggest threat to Switzerland would be booming oil prices etc from wars elsewhere.

You can’t defend against radiation

See the post before yours, the same Russian missiles as hit this shopping center deliberately targeted nuclear plants last week

Don’t forget how higher ground received more fallout after Chernobyl

The Swiss and we are delusional in thinking we can hide behind neutrality

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement