Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis Reunion. Its finally happening😱

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

For Coldplay, the cheapest at €67 were at the very top of the Davin upper stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭eggy81

how come when tickets were printed in paper and announced at a particular price and you queued up over night for the big gigs you payed the advertised price but now you don’t. What’s changed? As I said earlier in the thread if the tickets went up pre advertised at 450 quid how many nights would then sell out? It’s dodgy at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,671 ✭✭✭✭kippy

To be fair, I'd reckon as an 'experience' the Coldplay gigs are tens of times better than Oasis gigs, unless they completely up their game. I thought the Coldplay tickets were mental money last year. I was badly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭nc6000

Could it be one for the EU to look at? I know there was a bill in the Dàil a while back proposed by Noel Rock but he wasn't re-elected, not sure what happened to it or if it would have helped today.

• Advertisement

Why is it accepted that prices just change on a whim now when they didn’t before. Obviously the method of delivery has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭spakman

Yeah, would need an EU approach. If Ireland went on a solo run to crackdown on Ticketmaster/MCD/Artists, they'd just stop coming here as much as they currently do.

There's literally hundreds of interlinked things that have changed since those days.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I didn't get a presale code. I did get tickets at 1033 Euro for two, upper cusack. Didn't buy them, but someone did and I don't begrudge them at all.

Noone is forced to buy tickets and no-one deserves them more then anyone else. That's life lads. Build a bridge. This craic of TDs and the like giving out is ridiculous! It's a concert. It's not governments business to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Gonna be a lot of people stuck with €400+ tickets that they can't shift next year. I was hoping for extra dates this morning after failing but seeing the bullshit I'll give those a miss, if they happen. Funny that LG played all of definitely maybe in Belfast and Limerick and wasn't sold out.. seems like folks just love to say they were there and don't really care what's actually happening.

• Advertisement

It would and I'd argue that any business or indeed artist that was restricted from trading based on an enforced law, would have a good case to challenge such a law particularly on a scale such as this or with such a service.

Again think of any areas where price controls have been introduced(in Ireland even) and ask yourself, have they achieved what they set out to do.....

I know digital downloads killing record sales and all of the shift in where the income comes from for artists. I’m not arguing against high prices for anticipated gigs. I’m more arguing against dynamic pricing as it’s termed. It stops the marketers having to gauge real interest and sucks in lots of people that wouldn’t give a toss about the act normally but have to be at the big gig of the year just because they do. Suppose that’s probably the idea really 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭nc6000

I see a few batches of tickets are up on Toutless already. How is that allowed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ireland does have pretty robust anti-touting laws. It’s why you can now often get tickets to most gigs for cost price or lower through Ticketmaster’s own resale service. It has IMO made a welcome and noticeable difference.

But it’s not robust enough given they’ve obviously found workarounds like surge pricing and ‘platinum’ tickets to keep prices artificially high, and direct the profit straight towards Ticketmaster, promoters and the artists. There does seem like some political will there to push Ticketmaster concerns to EU level after today’s fiasco - hopefully not just attention seeking bluster to grab some headlines, but something actually followed through on.

Again, the individual doesn't have to buy the tickets at the price offered. From what I saw today I don't think there was much dynamic pricing going on, just different categories of tickets/experience.

If you were to have an issue and I'd agree, it was that the various ticketing prices were not disclosed prior to the release date, just that 'from 86 euro speil' that in fairness many business used to get customers in when there may only be a very small percentage of goods available at that price.

But again, it is very clear to the purchaser when they have the options available to them, what the pricing options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭forumdedum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭COH

Why wouldnt it be? Its face value only over there

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭TenPicnics

Please, take 5 mins and find your own answer by GOOGLING, or even here, in this actual thread! Can't believe the lazy questions on Boards. Is the concept of doing a bit of research too much for such busy people (with such money to throw around)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭flyer_query

They are the only game in town and once they had the market, there was no space for anyone to sell tickets. 

It's a lot more complicated than that but put simply, ticketmaster is a live nation company, and live nation also own mcd, and also own some venues including the 3 arena and have agreements with others. So they're entrenched everywhere. It would be impossible to compete with them.

• Advertisement

Glastonbury isn't legally obligated to do what they do.....

As far as I am aware the artists fees from Glastonbury are completely different to other gigs.....which I'd say has an impact on the costs to run the thing.

Glastonbury tickets are great value compared to this shitshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭crl84

People buying tickets last night and getting better tickets this morning.

Or friends/relatives getting spares with more desirable spots/prices.

Kippy, you and your like = the problem.

No, the problem is people willing to pay over the odds for tickets to gigs and feeling like they HAVE to go.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah and nobody is complaining outside of prospective ticket buyers who are just out of joint over not getting tickets or them being too expensive. I guarantee that Ticketmasters ultimate client (i.e. Oasis) are thrilled right now. As a ticket-buyer, the buyer (not aiming this at you Kippy) is not owed anything. You can buy the ticket or if you don't like it, you can pass. TM's client will get paid. Those who bought tickets got their tickets. Job done. They have no legal or moral obligation to anyone who didn't buy a ticket.

Airlines do the exact same thing. Think of a destination with one carrier flying the route. They charge what they like depending on demand.

Artists are free to work around ticketmaster and sell their tickets on eventbrite or tickets.ie in a non-ticketmaster venue. But they don't, because they're happy with the service - whether we like it or not.

And again, I'm not justifying the price or system but people are going on like Ticketmaster are a state body that owes them something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭lukin

Sure I logged on there now to search and I got told I was a bot. Clearing the cache and using a different browser made no difference. It goes by the ip address, not the logged on user.

Oasis and Taylor and AC/DC and all the rest who opt for dynamic pricing are not legally obligated to fkk the punters either. Some folks don't seem to get that in life one has choices sometimes, and SOME people don't always opt for the money option, especially when they're rich already. Even acts who could, frequently don't go for the scalp. Oasis, Taylor & the rest are now the opposite of rock and roll. I won't add "just like their fans in 2024"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Disappointing for fans I must say - hope if the new gigs are going ahead you’ll be more successful - probably only a handful of people I’d pay top dollar for at this stage so my extraordinary prices days are over.

appreciate how these gigs came about but can’t help but think the whole quick announcement coupled with the very quick sale was part of the promotional plan to drive interest, no hysteria , to the max, hence driving up prices .

They’ve taken the piss in terms of “ticket prices from…” - as someone else here said, the lowest price advertised would tend to be standing - that’s ALL standing - except maybe a pit in more recent years-but times have changed drastically - it is what it is now - at least we know - any other “reunion” band likely to adopt the same model - quick announcement- rapid route to ticket sales - scalping - don’t envy fans - maybe route to go for younger people is see every 15-30 euro gig you can - one of them will be a mega band /artist of the future

• Advertisement

I didn't say they were, they are free currently to price what they like. That's for them to choose.

If you don't like it, don't 'support' them.

We all have choices in this game. The artist, promotors, ticket sellers, consumers etc etc

Being accused of being "The problem" earlier in this thread is hilarious.

Lots of people looking for someone else to blame - standard fare nowadays unfortuantely.

Post edited by kippy on

Advertisement