Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis Reunion. Its finally happening😱

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Ya I see what your saying but couldn't they live a comfortable life on 90 million instead? It's like a soccer player demanding 250k a week when he's offered 200k a week and the club say sorry fans we have to increase ticket prices to cover all the wages. Surely if those numbers are correct it must be them demanding the 95m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The commentary today seems to be all about how ticketmaster are screwing people.

Now ticketmaster have a lot to answer for from a technical point of view. Being in queues and getting to the top of the queue and then having it crash, having their servers being unable to cope, that's on them. Do better ticketmaster.

But the underlying anger seems to be about the price, and the random increased prices (this surge pricing). This is for Oasis to own. They would have agreed a price for tickets and would have agreed for the surge pricing too; they elected to make more money knowing that the market would be there. Whether it's right or wrong is another question, but it's up to them to own it.

I've seen a clip loads of times of Kurt Cobain and Dave Grohl being amazed thst Madonna was charging like $50 for tickets when they charged something like $15. I'm guessing Dave Grohl today also charges crazy prices (I haven't seen how much Foos charge). They need to make money to survive, but they can decide whether they want to make some money or more money. Which is fine, they're entitled to it. But they should be asked about it.

At the Coldplay gig on Thursday Chris Martin thanked people for coming and acknowledged how much of a pain it can be to get to gig. I don't know how much my ticket was (it was a gift), but I'd imagine they also could have charged less and still made a tidy profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

My Ticketmaster account is suspended now. WTF is that all about

I didn't buy any tickets and gave up after 5 mins when I saw queue size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭billyhead

Tickets to concerts were distributed much fairer back in the day when queing outside the TM selling agent such as Stephens green shopping centre. Now it's just pot luck. If I log into the portal the exact same time as 1000 other people for example how is it decided that one person is number 1 in the queue and another 1000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭geographica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The bit I can't understand is that there are certain people I know and who I see here online who always seem to get tickets. I don't know if there's magic involved, or secret links or a hidden trick to do it, but some people seem to be lucky.

The 2 times I've tried to get tickets for a big gig (today and Coldplay) I was in the 100,000s in queues to gave up immediately. I don't know if there's an obvious way to improve the odds other than presale codes or something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭nc6000

Apparently it's random, you're being lobbed into a queue with hundreds of thousands of people and could end up with 400k ahead of you like I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭TenPicnics

You are the problem because you have posted comments that claim to justify this greed. Fact: this sht practice is relatively new, and unfortunately there seems to be a lot of money swilling around in the pockets of people who will pay whatever it takes to be at the gig (and watch it through their phones). It is not a good development. Thankfully there are still lots of great gigs at normal prices year round. You probably won't be at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'm sure they could but Oasis (or any artist) can do what they want. If they wanted 200m, they could ask for it - its their livelihood. They're not a charity and much like anyone in any job, they get what they can for it.

The reality which a lot of people seem to be missing is that 180,000 tickets were sold at the prices they were sold for. So people can love it or hate it, but the tickets sold out and punters were happy to pay the prices. So the pricing model Oasis pursued did the job..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

I'm amazed with all the Ticketmaster supporters on here.

Are you all right in the head?

• Advertisement

It's really not that new.

I remember Adele tickets going for €500 each many years ago on Viagogo. The only difference was that years ago, it was a professional tout making money in the margin.

Don't forget that the law to stop reselling came about because there was outrage over people buying tickets to resell them at massive mark-ups.

Sure look at Bruce Springsteen who essentially said he was happy to charge dynamic prices for gigs because (and I'm paraphrasing) "why should I sell a ticket for €100 and someone else sells it for €300 and makes a €200 profit? I'll sell it for €300 myself".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭watchclocker

I'm one of them people

I always get a ticket to a gig I want tickets for I'm known for it ha

Not always first time though either on toutles or through luck on late TM releases

I didn't get all the tickets I wanted today but I got some and maybe closer I'll get croke park tickets too

I could have paid the high price but chose nro to, I don't blame others for choosing to pay it

I left for a few hours and there's been a million posts, most of them upset with each other, don't be upset with your fellow fans it's a waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,671 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I haven't posted comments justifying greed. I've posted some basic logical conclusions that one would come to having looked at all the variables.

We all make choices, no one is forcing us to:

Buy the latest and greatest piece of tech, car, branded clothes etc etc

This is the same.

You have a number of people who have chosen how to set the ticket pricing and you have a number of people who chose whether to buy at that price or not. It really is that simple. Thats not justifying greed. That's point out what is/has happened.

As for me and people like me being the problem. I have no control over the overall situation. I amn't the problem. Those that engage with and pay the prices listed are the problem. You can blame the artist/promoter/ticketmaster/venue/deity of your choice but none of those would set the prices how they do if people didn't engage.

Lots of practices (countless) are "relatively new" - I don't agree with them all - some I can avoid or decide not to engage with.

As someone said earlier, with the amount of demand for these tickets you'd never keep everyone happy.

As for me being at gigs this year, I'll probably be at the same amount that I've been to in the past 12 months - 2 or 3, all small and probably with my kids. I am well past gigging regularily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭nc6000

High horse? WTF?! Was pointing out the obvious, sheesh! I read stuff on here before I ask questions, especially during a high volume ticket sale. Caps was to emphasise the obvious source of an answer to the question asked.

What posters are "supporting" ticketmaster and how exactly are they doing it?

The ones who've bought tickets………the only people on here who've supported ticketmaster in any meaningful way……..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

@kippy

"Buy the latest and greatest piece of tech, car, branded clothes etc etc

This is the same."

Yes, there you have it, in your own words. Sad.

I really don't understand why you have a problem with my commentary but as with most other things, I will make the choice not to be too bothered with the opinion of a stranger on the internet - as I am sure you've chosen to do with me at this point.

No one is forcing you to engage with buying any of those items - same as these tickets - fairly simple concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Which brings me back to my original point. Oasis set the prices but a lot of people here seem to be blaming everyone except the band themselves for the pricing.

• Advertisement

Yep exactly, full agree with you! Blame the band. The ticketmaster are the devil narrative by some posters is the epitome of shooting the messenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭jazz_jazz

I would expect that the band themselves would have had nothing to do with pricing, it would have been their management that would have taken care of all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I didn't get a ticket. They say they won't but they will play some of the festivals. They'll quite possibly play EP or Slane. We're at the point, there's no band big enough anymore to sell out Slane who hasn't played it already, with the exception of Blur possibly, but thats a non runner as Mountcharles and Albarn got in a disagreement before. So Slane will definitely be pushing for Oasis to play, no matter what anyone in the Oasis camp says.

I've seen them twice, Beady Eye once and Liam solo once, so not too fussed really. It probably is better if a younger crowd got to see them, to show them what real music is again. Depressing the amount of people going to Coldplay, get them youngsters into Oasis to show them what it's really about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Oasis are not worth that money. Simple. You think this forum is driving demand? Right

Their management? Liam/Noel (like all big artists) ultimately sign off on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

How are royalties divided amongst the band does anyone know? Does Noel for example "own" the songs, and gets a larger cut everytime an album is sold or a song played? Like some bands, Blur for example, it's 25% each, they all get an equal cut of everything, and own an equal share of all songwriting credits, despite Albarn writing all the songs generally. That's what they agreed at the start. Like will the other Oasis members get shafted, or do they even receive anything, including Liam, when it comes to royalties.

These are crap, but there was an interesting documentary on them after Take That was reformed, and it was about East 17 and where they were now. Uniquely, Take That and East 17 are the only boyands who wrote their own songs, that being Gary Barlow and Tony Mortimer respectively. But in East 17's case, 3 of the members, since the group had long disbanded were all back in full time jobs, with the exception of Tony, who was in a mansion. He wrote the songs, but literally kept all the money, the others seemed to have no cut whatsoever.

Like is that unusual, or would the primary songwriter get a larger cut, but everyone else also getting a %, or is it different from band to band I wonder? There was also a radio show about the Manics Richey Edwards not so long ago, and after he went missing, a cut from his royalties, to this day, go into an account for his family which I also thought was interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭cantalach

But MCD is by far the larger, and it is owned by LiveNation, which also owns TicketMaster. That’s too much power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Avon8

Do we seriously think Noel is being sat down and asked "there's standard tickets but we've these special extiornate market value tickets that we'll screw everyone on, we need you to approve though and sign here".

I've no doubt this is a cash in for Noel (less so Liam who has much less rights in the brand), but seriously? They're, by and large, getting given an overall contracted fee for all the gigs

The promoter is MCD. Owned by LiveNation. Who also owns Ticketmaster. Id imagine the premium price idea is LiveNations somehow

Aside from LiveNation being bastards, there's a serious amount of crying about pricing and availability. This is not the GAA, they don't have a responsibility to grow soft rock amongst the grassroots. If you don't like the price, you can choose to abstain. Plenty clearly did think the price was reasonable, hence the scarcity, and the main reason you couldn't get tickets

What happened between Albarn and Mountcharles? Big Blur fan so genuinely curious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement