Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis Reunion. Its finally happening😱

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Not defending Ticketmaster by any means but they get a lot of ire for things that they enable (platinum tickets) while not actually being the root cause, which is that Oasis opted in to the pricing structure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭893bet

this really is it. The promotors did not sort the “touts” for the consumers benefit. They were annoyed about the margin they were missing out on.

I don’t see why people are moaning. It’s stupid money. If you can afford it well and good. If you can’t hard luck. Supply and demand. The lottery system is probably the fairest. I missed out today. Life long fan (well first 4 albums in my teens). Never saw them. See Noel with HFB last year…..not a sell out. Liam was amazing this year for definately maybe (not a sell out).

Where the **** were the 400k infront of me for them gigs in the last year. But their money is the same as mine. And the same as some lads who saw them live 20 times.

Another 2 gigs will be the same story if released. I will happily pay 500 for a standing ticket if I can get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭MattressRick

It's more like fifteen people sitting around a conference room with Noel and Liam, and them saying that pricing will be similar to all recent gigs, with the cheapest tickets going for X pounds, and the lads thinking that sounds fair enough. The unspoken details, the small print, is that they'll hike the same tickets at the last minute like a tout would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I saw Oasis in 2005 in The Point and they were decent but not amazing. Liam’s got charisma and a voice but there are much better frontmen in terms of working a crowd and putting on a show.

Saw him in Thomand a few weeks ago too and he was worth the ticket price and it was enjoyable but not enough that I’d stress myself out to get a ticket for this. And I’ve been a big Oasis, Noel/Liam fan for 20 years or so. The FOMO is incredible. Guarantee the gigs will be decent but far from exceptional.

On another note, I genuinely had no idea Coldplay were anywhere near popular enough to sell out Croke Park for 4 nights. Amazed at that. Decent band but that’s about it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭cantalach

Right, MCD sets the prices, but they and TM are essentially the same thing because both are owned by LiveNation. So for TM to be coming out with the “don’t blame us - we’re just doing what the promoter tells us” line is horseshĩt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If that even was the case (which it probably isn't), it's still on them to read "the small print".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Actually went googleing it recently and can't find much, but I remember it at the time alright. Around the time the record label wouldn't pay for Gorillaz holograms anymore, it was getting too expensive, and Albarn was paying for them out of his own pocket by the end, before they became a live band. And the label weren't too impressed with the fact Albarn was refusung to write a "traditional hit" to cash in, as he went so against the mainstream. So if the label couldn't cash in on him anymore, they pulled the holograms funding, which was leaving most Gorillaz gigs in the red apparently.

So Gorillaz were in talks to play Slane years ago, but from what I remember at the time, Albarn wanted Mountcharles to pay for the holograms, and Mountcharles refused. And talks broke down and as you know, once Damon takes the hump, that's it with him and his principles. Blur were supposed to have been offered big money to play Slane on a few occassions since, but Albarn point black refused. And I doubt he'll ever come around, doesn't care about the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭macchoille

I think ticketmaster have captured tout market. They lobbied hard to clamp down on reselling at a profit (seemed ethical at the time) only to then charge tout prices for in demand gigs.

Keeping this bit as non technical as possible…… With a keen eye on keeping their IT costs to a minimum to maximise their profits , they still didn’t even temporarily spin up the necessary IT resources in the cloud to handle the predictable volume that was also measurable by the amount of people waiting in the queues.

Instead us plebeians had to wait for hours in massive queues and give up because they were 400,000+ place or be in a reasonable position and get booted because they thought you were a bot or if you were lucky enough to get as far as purchasing find they were 400+ euro for a standing ticket

Oasis set the prices. Mcd might suggest a pricing model but Oasis approve it as they're the ones who ultimately want x profit/revenue from the tour and the gigs.

Jesus, people will twist anything to not blame the band. Oasis are big enough to tell MCD to get fücked if the prices are too high.

Noel sold out Kilmainham last year, remember being surprised at it in the run up to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭hold my beer

You sure about this? Does a promoter not just come along and say I'll pay you 30mil for x amount of gigs?

Hence guys like Paul Heaton! People like the illusion that the big artists care about them, I guess

Coldplay wouldn't have been popular enough up until after their Viva la Vida album. It was around then they stopped progressing and evolving as a real band. Started going on X-factor, and tried to start creating a sound, that was the commercial manufactured mainstream sound, that 15 year old girls would buy. That's what sells.

They're bigger now, in particular America, than they ever were. But they're not the band they once were, who were a credible outfit. They're a boyband with guitars now, aimed at teenage girls, who's goal is to be as commercially successful as possible. Sold out years ago

And he's a man, who would be worth paying that bigger money to see. Incredible songwriter

Sorry that's just utter bollocks. They very publicly opposed it.

Ticketmaster Ireland and Ticketmaster’s official marketplace for the resale of tickets, Seatwave, have expressed their opposition to a new bill that would make it illegal to resell tickets to events in Ireland for a profit in excess of 10%.

https://www.joe.ie/music/ticket-touting-587775

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dublinlive.ie/news/ticketmaster-seatwave-hit-out-proposed-13012567.amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭squonk

Ticketmaster are taking the brunt of the flack because they’re the sellers and are dog a pretty poor job at that. Waiting in queues to get into the actual ticket queue is pants. Waiting in a ticket queue where you get kicked out is pants. Waiting on a queue ditch no feedback and a shaky response is also pants. They are taking a tidy ‘service charge’ for their rubbish work so can bear the flak IMHO for that but ultimately they don’t care. They won’t change until change is legislated and forced upon them.

Liam & Noel deserve blame here as well. Authorising dynamic pricing is fairly poor. I’d have had time for the two lads but this fiasco is making me change my opinion. True, they’re not a charity and if there’s money on the table they probably should take it. The difference is it’s their choice. They’re making a decent fee for the gigs you’d have to assume as they’re not playing at a loss.

In Demabd pricing is fine if there’s an alternative. Plane or hotel cost too high? Find another airline/hotel or change your dates. You innately have travel and accommodations options. Here you see Oasis or you don’t. There’s literally no alternative.

You want to foil touts? Fine. Change your process. Disallow transfer of tickets til close to the gig and/or only issue electronic tickets for high demand gigs. Allow trade only via Ticketmaster website so there’s oversight of a scalp price. Actually earn your stood service charge in other words. Not only are they scalping a service charge but subsequent charges for trading tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya, but what do you really think about Coldplay?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭crl84

I'm amazed at all the morons here who think that Ticketmaster set the prices.

It's MCD who are largely in control of the prices.

The artist gets a fee and will probably have negotiated a small percentage on ticket sales. So they'll be aware that they've agreed to dynamic pricing at a certain level (eg the final 5% of tickets).

MCD are the ones who decide what the prices are going to be overall, and how the split happens and what tickets are cheap, what are expensive, and what are static/dynamic, because they're the ones who are ultimately putting the gig on and have to balance the books. If they don't bring enough money in, they make a loss. Simple.

Ticketmaster have basically no say in the prices charged. They get their service fee and that's about the height of it. They're there to facilitate a sale based on conditions and pricing as defined by the promoter/organiser of an event.

That's not an anti Coldplay rant, so much as it is what actually happened. Chris Martin would probably tell you as much himself. Fair play to them if they can do it, but I'd just personally have more respect for acts who are original and authentic.

You'll have a lot of teenage girls at their gigs, that wouldn't know alot of their stuff pre X&Y tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭893bet

I stand corrected but selling out took weeks/month. Same as I bought tickets for thomand last year I would say and they were still available in the weeks to the gig in July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,819 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Concerts are quickly going the way of top level football, a past time for rich people or those with disposable income.

I used to travel around Europe and UK watching football, seen several CL finals buying tickets from touts for less than some face value tickets now . I have resigned myself to never being at a CL final ever again, unless I get lucky in the lottery. It is now priced way above what I could justify paying.

And now with Swift, Stevie Nicks, Oasis, it appears that top level concerts are going the same way.

But really, Ticketmaster are in the office down the hall from MCD figuratively speaking while the lads in another office a little further down the hall run venues the Ticketmaster lads are selling tickets for.
    It’s like saying Volkswagen have no control over Skoda pricing. Not a direct control maybe. But the Volkswagen-Audi Group management sure do. Same holds for Live Nation who own TM, MCD, Yhe Point etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,241 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 Futilecrescent

Is it any different from selling a house for over half a million quid through an estate agent because that’s what the market will bear, even though you bought the same house for a fraction of that 10 years ago? Which most people in this country seem to do without questioning the ethics of it, even for a minute. Granted the two situations are not entirely analogous. But if you read interviews with Oasis down through the years, I think you’ll find that they are fairly self-centred and libertarian in their thinking and you’ll definitely be hard pressed to find any suggestion that they have any kind of moral or social obligation towards their fans. It’s natural for music fans to develop an emotional and affective connection towards bands, but that’s illusory in many cases and certainly misguided in this case.

I think you're spot on and your examples are apt.

All three artists sold out at huge ticket prices and that no doubt justified the high price for them. Once those arenas are packed to the rafters, they don't care whether it's you, me or someone else in the seat, once it's full.

People will do anything to say its the promoter or ticketmaster but if Oasis said "we'll reform but only if all tickets are €100 or less", then the tickets would be €100 or less. They/artists don't care about individual fans as much as people want to believe they do.

You could infer the prices from UK price details. In the end they weren’t too different until dynamic pricing crept in. There is a point to be made though that this cloak and daggers stuff around pricing needs to change. If you have X classes of ticket you should have to advertise X price levels. Advertising as “From €86” is just lying through you’re teeth.

Your comparison is more apt than you think.

Who is the estate agents client? The seller.

And who is ticketmasters client? Oasis. The seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,241 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So now you're "inferring" is it? Because that's not what you said originally, you said they were ADVERTISED at particular prices. It's not the fault of Ticketmaster or Oasis that you made a balls of an assumption.

it’s not TMs fault you’re overly aggressive. There’ll be other dates added. You’ll get your ticket or maybe someone might give you one for your birthday.. Good luck either way.

• Advertisement

Possibly, "premium bands" being so far and few between these day, could be a factor also. Hard to see a "real" band anymore regularly on the big stage, cause there are so few now, no "big bands" have really come through since 2010.

But when it comes to festivals, people want to see "real bands" and not pop acts, and already we're seeing festivals struggling to fill the line up with top bands, it's about wheeling out bands pre- 2010 over and over. And guys like Post Malone, pop rappers, are now playing. Harry Styles at Slane sums it up.

And as time passes, we can't keep wheeling out the Rolling Stones etc. Even in 20 years, it will still be festivals trying to get the likes of the Killers to play, but that can't go on forever. Bands that made it before the era of free downloading, are becoming a premium tbh.

Real bands coming through since then can't make a living as we downloaded their music for free. And radio play and exposure is all based on sales, with the only thing selling in the mid 00's being what 15 year olds girls buy basically, they didn't know how to download for free. And this is what we're left with. A generation of bands unable to make money or get exposure with the free downloading, in the maninstream. It's hard to see if real bands writing origincal music can find a way back to the mainstream, a generation needs a spark for young people to start picking up guitars again, and only then can they sell out big gigs again.

The state of the music industry is very depressing right now. Music stopped evolving and being pushed and expanded on circa 2010, as no original acts or songwriters are coming through to do that

Advertisement