Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LSL to charge for the App

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

At least if the ole codgers go to the mart they might leave some few small Bob in the canteen ,what benefit is it lsl or the mart having codgers watching online only putting strain on the live stream

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭grass10

I agree fully lsl has been a total game changer excellent service I don't like marteye either and I don't get the logic of marts leaving lsl as when you have real online bidders a fiver a month makes no difference

IFa man stated last week that he had contacted lsl several times representing farmers in opposition to lsl charges and seemed to be taking credit for lsl backtracking on charges I wonder what would happen Monday morning if lsl shut down would the other 2 systems cope I doubt it then we would have the scenario with no online mart system in many marts what would the whingers say then it would be more in farmers benefit to pay lsl and pay ifa nothing as I never see that organisation achieving anything for farmers only issuing popular press releases after the horse has bolted usually looking for the govt to throw farmers a few euro to keep the farmers happy and quiet but actually achieving nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

You'll be an old codger yourself someday or die younger.

There was a simple solution, charge the marts more and let them pass it on to the buyers and sellers or not in their fees. It's in the marts interest to have online bidding.

Sellers definitely benefit from a potentially larger market for their livestock. Buyers could buy online if they want to. I'm sure most of the larger buyers do use it for bidding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

You think any of the 3 couldn't be replaced or expand if one left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ah LSL are way ahead of Martbids & Marteye. They seriously messed up. All they had to do was introduce a small charge initially, say €20 per annum and then increase it slowly every year. Bad management on their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭QA1

go to the agm if your a shareholder most marts are in very sound financial footing and increase cash in bank every year how many dealers are selling cattle in marts now very few I’d say

I think online is great too for both buyers and sellers but lsl just seen more money for them and didn’t weigh up the negatives enough

They still have some msg on the screen for money ball bust game over re the charge

Their is only 3 in total you lose 1 and the other 2 must do half the marts each I would not like to rely on the other 2 and its fairly obvious they would then introduce charges anyway I cannot understand why their is so much opposition to lsl proposed charges

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

We were talking about this the other nite and working on the commission for the last week and average half of that at 50 weeks of the year they would be taking almost 2 million a year in commission from it.. some twine...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Murang

the great advantage of LSL is you can go in check different lots and see how things are going or look at your own again after selling.marteye is a disaster you have no idea how the trade is going

• Advertisement

Agree marteye is very unworkable and just very poorly set up I am wondering is anyone here connected to any of the marts that have left lsl to join marteye and explain why they have changed because clearly for buyers and sellers you are going to a very poor system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 jambon0104

Are you confusing martbids and marteye, all my local marts are on marteye. I find it easy to work. They have the clips thingy on the app that I can go in and look at clips of lots sold around the country. I find it reliable to buy on aswell. I tried buy springers in kilkenny last year on martbids and it froze right on the lot I tried to buy.

Not confused at all if I look right now at marteye can I see a replay of lots sold yesterday can I see yesterday's catalogue from mart x to see how trade was at that mart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭kk.man

The figures for salary and wages is astonishing, I'm here searching for the annual report so I don't want to get it wrong.

Go to kilkenny mart on any given week they are about 10 dealers as a friend of mine say 'you could set your watch by them'. The ordinary farmers have to accept the lot numbers by a draw to be submitted the night before.

That's the true benefactors of the co op marts.

Do you have to pay on LSL to go back on sales. Most of the marts in the east are on marteye except carnew so it works and suits me perfect. I love watching some of the big sales in the UK on it. Carsile was on today selling sheep and they were flying through lots. I often watch LSL in Carnew but the new fees will probably stop me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭148multi

Don't get too excited about any mart having a few million on the books, they have to keep certain amount of liquidity and giving credit to farmers buying will eat into it fairly quick.

Every mart has to constantly upgrade premises and are getting constant claims, mostly from workers now I believe. I know managers that it is a vocation to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We are registered to bid in five marts with LSL. I also pay for the "premium" which allows us to look back on any ring on any date from those marts. I'm prepared to pay a subscription because it allows us to view online sales in those marts. We don't have time to spend or travel to most of them as were sorta busy most of the time. We buy calves, cattle and cull cows online and collect the animals ourselves. IMO LSL is the best of the three online mart services. We are registered with Marteye in two other marts.

I think, as others have posted previously LSL shot themselves in the foot. It's unfortunate but I think they will overcome it and move on.

Do you really think they will overcome?

The Reason they introduced these fees was because of financial reasons wasn't it, now they have lost 8 or 9 marts who each provided weekly or monthly revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

If LSL went in the morning there would be some other company would start up to take over the business, this is not a huge thing for to be run now that marts have a customer base buying on line and have less sellers standing around in a mart all day.

But is Kilkenny mart not a traditional mart for dealers for a long number of years bringing cattle from the south to resell there, the traditional trade of dealers bringing stock from the west to marts in the east has nearly if not completely gone at this stage,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I reckon LSL will remain the premium online provider as they provide the best service - just my opinion.

Post edited by Base price on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Yes you do it was 98 euro a year, now ot is going to 100. It's a tax deductible expense. The rag costs 100-250 depending on your subscription choice.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/subscribe.php

Why do all the old codgers as @cute geoge describes them mainly use LSL not Marteye or Martbid ( one of them is owned by the rag). The reason is the quality is better. Would a nursing home worry about forking out a 50-100 euro yearly subscribe for live streaming I except they would treat it as a business expense.

Ya Patsy bad management on LSL parts however maybe they were under financial pressure

Another company might but the quality of the LSL product is a way ahead of its competitors and it probably has higher costs.

I think Clare marts may have shot themselves in the foot. They are dependent on both feedlot, processors and small bidders. Some marts have an agenda here. They dislike online bidding as most lads now bid online and it harder for dealers to push them if they are patient buyers. On the other hand tanglers around the ring find it harder to pick-up value or get other to bull on there own stock. Clare marts had stopped showing historical mart videos ( except for last sale) with 12 months. Castleisland refuses to show historical sales. They may think about moving as well. However as Clare marts have a monopoly in Clare except for Sixmilebridge mart it was easier for them to move

What amazes me I was talking to a lad last Thursday about it, he is driving a crew cab around the place, he has 20ish sucklers and buys a few suck calves. A 30k tractor in the yard and the rag under his arm. He was complaining about as he called it the LSL money grab.

I asked him had he a receipt for the FJ and he said no. I said the LSL premium. Was 1/3 of the price of the journal in that situation.

Slava Ukrainii

You would not want to be selling cattle in a mart that has poor reserves. Most dealers will have credit facilities in a mart. 2 million is about 2500 average @800/ animal accross maybe cull cows, bulls, calves weanlings, stores and finishing stock. I suspect that some marts have reserves of 10 million to carry the trade they have.

Over how .any mart days and how many rings. What is the a tragedy mart day lengh public and employer liability is probably anything from 20-100k maybe even higher.

Accross 50 weeks it's 4k/week. It averages 40k/ week. I am involved in a management company at a holiday home site. 100+ houses @ 2k/ house. By the time everything is paid there is nothing left over. There is very little volunteering. Most employees in a mart are doing 10-12 hour days on average accross the year. Is a good mart manager costing 50-100k in wages, pension and other costs ( maybe more if he is supplied with a car). Every mart day there is 3-4 in a mart office at say 200/day minimum by tge time you pay holiday, bank holiday employer prsi eitc that is 10k per employee per year per mart day per week

Auctioneers are probably 3-500 per mart day and are usually subcontractors. It probably costs 7-10k a day for a fairly busy one ring mart to open for a day.

Slava Ukrainii

@Bass Reeves we were working on Carnaross Mart which are selling 4 days a week now with 2 rings running & 3 auctioneer. The numbes of stock they are getting at the minuteis unbelievable. Bullocks & Calves on a Monday.

Weanlings & sucklers Tuesday night

Sheep on a Wednesday night.

Cows & Heifers on a Thursday.

Then add in at least 1 special sale a month for dairy cows.

They Probably have at least 2-3 fulltime staff with the mart manager. Another 09-25 on mart days.

It's probably costing them 1.2 million in mart day costs before you even allow for insurance and bank fees and interest. They are probably working on a net margin of 10ish% which is not outlandish on a scale like that

Slava Ukrainii

It's not simple to set up a company like this if it was a large mart group would just do it and I don't see what you're point is about sellers hanging around the mart I only know of 1 mart that doesn't have a sellers box every other mart has a sellers box and has online bidding system in place so sellers can attend the mart if they want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Never felt that you got as good a deal if you were not there to represent your stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

I'd say mine is an outlier opinion but **** it I'll give it anyway!

Call me tight/mean whatever you want, But I've always disliked the idea of subscriptions etc...I can see how they are good for a business, relatively stable predictable recurring revenue etc...makes it easier to borrow and invest when you go looking for a loan etc

But they can become a right royal drain on an individual as there are **** loads of them and you inevitably forget to manage them and end up paying money for stuff you don't really use for significant amounts of time .....I used to donate to charity on the street in the past...once off no commitment and I would do it frequently enough....I don't anymore because its inevitably bank details, full details (why would I want you to be able to build a profile of me) and a steady drain and I have to monitor/cancel after a period and the amounts some of them look for amounts to over a hundred a year etc....if you are asking people to give money it should be made easy not a hassle would be my mantra ..and I suspect im not the only one as I see less and less of the direct debit collectors on the street so they may not be collecting much.. now that's a bit of a rant about charitable donations but I have some of the same feelings about this LSL thing

Also maybe some people are sick of the amount of **** admin they have to do in their own lives now...

Most services nowadays if you don't switch annually you will be stung and in some cases stung badly for not switching

That means every year you have to do the **** dance..hours upon hours spent using comparison sites and sitting in phone line queues just to get back to what you were paying plus a reasonable inflation increase instead of being raped

Now Multiply that by ....phone, electricity, gas, broadband, sky, car insurance, house insurance, health insurance, tractor insurance, farm insurance, bins etc etc etc and add on same process if you are helping elderly people in your house etc

Add in all the other paperwork, record keeping, compliance, sending back receipts for health claims etc etc

Significant chunks of a person's life nowadays are spent trapped doing the most stultifyingly frustrating tedious admin/waiting/detail giving and general tending to shite just not to get financially drained....maybe a lot of people are reaching an upper limit

If this service really does require more money for investment (even if its to leave a bit more of a margin for the owners) ...then I for one would love if it wasn't more **** admin ...

Is there anything to be said for a very small fee levied on the buyer and seller if an online transaction takes place....rather than a subscription....that way the people getting the most use out of the service ....or deposit money to your account like the way the bin company does it and pay a small amount by the hour minute whatever if you are just viewing...although with that one I think its a bad idea as you are reducing the potential buyers maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Murang

maybe we are looking at this the wrong way why not charge a good subscription and cut buyer and sellers fees if they want entertainment let them pay for it

• Advertisement

Totally agree but the young trained farmers seem to think that they have more important things to do rather than be at the mart to sell their cattle like a man said they go to so much trouble to breed and rear cattle and the most important day when they sell the animals the farmer has other stuff to do that day but each to their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I’ve seen one or two marts around the country come out and say there will be no change to view or bid with lsl at their mart. Is the mart paying the fee in this case or how is it working. I really only say this payment for lsl mentioned elsewhere in the last few days.

Post edited by SodiumCooled on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

I very rarely got more by standing there repeatedly saying see if you can get a bit more.....or that's not enough

Pulling an animal you felt you were getting ridden on may have had a better effect ..but it's hard to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I think that’s both unfair and inaccurate in our experience. Most farmers have busy off farm jobs and a load of other things going on and don’t have time to hang around marts multiple weekends or attend midweek marts with work commitments.

As for getting more sitting in the box I see no really correlation - we sometimes stay at the mart, sometimes drop off in the morning and follow online getting other stuff done and I can’t say we see any impact on animal prices we also like the option to think on a price which you get when selling subject while you wait for the call. We find online bidders great to drive up a price too as the dealers can’t get their way as much.

Post edited by SodiumCooled on

What I was saying is a lot of sellers don’t spend the day standing in marts any more, also you say about sellers box it doesn’t make much difference any more if your in the box or not as most marts animal are on the market when entering the ring, the marts we deal in are all trying to move through lots as fast as possible and you know to bid up, the day of auctioneer taking 5 minutes to sell a lot is gone most good auctioneers are averaging 45 to 50 lots an hour and buyers don’t want to stand around marts all day.To set up a private tech company is not a big deal where did LSL and MartEye and Martbids come from anybody that sees a opportunity in business can jump in.

Time is one the most important things on farms with labour in short supply, if your selling calves in the spring you standing in the box is not going to effect the price they make it’s a buyers market, the last store cattle we sold made 150 a head more than what we hoped to get and that was watching the trade on line to determine prices and left us at home to get silage done, most farmers know what happens in their local mart and avoid the marts that might be messing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

Damn I just paid 98 for my yearly subscription 6 weeks ago and now ennis has moved to martbids so not much good now

You're obviously a part time farmer which is fine but for commercial farmers over time you will end up with less by staying at home but for part time lads with off farm income who are juggling work and farm work I can understand why they don't have time my comments were aimed at full time farmers

Labour issues is only a popular excuse by many dairy farmers nowadays I am full time farming and I and many others find time to sell their animals in marts your animals that made 150 more than what you thought are a perfect example of a person that didn't realise what the current mart trade was like on that week their is no store cattle at the moment making 150 more than other similar animals on a given day

What I am find with the on line system in the Mart is the auctioneer doesn't want to talk to a farmer in the sellers box. So he knocks down the animal after the last bid, if you are happy you take if not you bring the animal home. The staff in the office know which buyers are likely to give more and which aren't, if the buy is a lad likelyto give more they will say to you if i can get a bit morewill you let it go...

If you are selling cattle you have to know their value and you have to be prepared to bring them home if you aren't getting their value.

I know with disease and haulage most people hate the idea of "missing" cattle.

No there was a feedlot buyer in and northern buyers and local guy who always tries to buy our cattle and cattle took 40 a head rise from the previous week, good Charolais cattle always sell better than you think. Full time or part time farming makes no difference and as regards knowing the trade I can tell you I am well with like most lads and doesn’t take a full time farmer.

• Advertisement

Was taking a look at which marts have moved today. Will more marts move provider do you think.

I would know a mart manager that moved from LSL. Spoke to him today,He wasn't impressed with LSL support in the last year and said this was the perfect opportunity to move. Supposably there's some big buyers that wont buy on LSL, he wouldn't tell me who

I say it nothing about support. LSL seldom is down or gives trouble. As I stated there is an agenda by some marts, LSL is probably more expensive than Marteye or Martbid and a few marts want to move onto a cheaper platform. As well some marts dislike having historical sales available for weeks on end

I say the story about certain buyers is bullsh!t. The marts moving are hoping that this will not effect there businesses but they might have to come back with there tails between there legs

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

You need to be a client (buyer/seller) to view livestream from this location/auction/mart OR subscribe to LSL Membership in order to view livestream after 1st September.

Do sellers and buyers then get free Access?

The online bidding has speeded up sales especially where auctioneers drop cattle when bids are too slow. This used to work on my favour with one or two marts a year plus ago where an online bidder was deliberately slow bidding.

Lads have got more used to it now and bang in the bids, often it's so fast the auctioneer is behind the action. The dealers around the ring now often wait until online is finished before they start bidding. If the value is there they bid if not they let them off.

Slava Ukrainii

You believe the usual pub stories about the magic feedlot buyer.northern buyer and big local buyer all fighting over the animals that's the oldest story all the marts spin along with the magic online bidders driving the trade, the real truth for the majority of cull cows and forward/finished cattle is marts usually have 1 ring bidder on each lot against 1 online bidder if they are lucky or a lot of the time the ring is bidding against the mart manager people like you have no understanding of how marts work

@grass10 it would be a very poor marr that would only have 1 ring bidder. If I take my local mart there is a bidder from 5 different factories there and a few lads from the North to buy cattle plus feedlots & farmers. They would all get on but at the same time compete with one another. Ever so often there would be a fall out between resulting in good prices for the sellers. Seen one day 1 lad got passed of with the others he bought the next 27 that came into the ring.. size weight breed made no difference & he paid over the odds for them all...

But he went home that evening and looked at the sheet and said WTF did I do. That is probably a weeks profit or more gone unless he can find a patsy to offload them to. Brother used to pick up a few weanling for me before LSL. Mostly black LM's. There was one buyers that used to buy a lot of them and my brother just said he was interested in a few. The dealer got indignant explaining it was an open market. So my brother drove the first few by 70 euro, the next few by 50-60 and the last of them by 30 over the normal mart prices. The dealer bought the 15-20 of them. The following week he approached my brother and asked him what lots he was interested in.

@grass10 highlighted the cull cow part of the sale, they come in as singles and are generally shared, the heavy fat cows are shared out between 3-4 buyers at really large marts and 1-2 at smaller marts unless there is an online factory buyer. The rest then are shared between certain buyers that opt for certain cow type depending on weight, age and quality

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

I will leave with you then as you seem to be the man that knows about every mart in the country and don’t think anyone knows anything but you and the likes of Anto Meath and myself know nothing about marts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's an eye opener to be in the sellers box watching the auctioneer having to continuously focus back and forth between the screen and the lads around the ring. It must be mentally draining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭leoch

Grass10 it sounds like your the one that knows very little about marts

• Advertisement
Advertisement