Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis Reunion. Its finally happening😱

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,241 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The reality is, the prices were what they were and all of the tickets sold out. So the prices were appropriate.

This isn't a new thing. Scalpers have been taking advantiage of this for decades. They know that a €40 ticket is really worth €150 for the right show. But the promoters or acts hadn't been quick enough to adapt and all of this extra money was being made by dirtbags who blocked you in a queue to buy tickets so they could charge you way over the odds for the privilage.

This isn't much different, but the MAJOR differences are that these direct tickets, even though they were €415 in the end are MUCH cheaper than had they fallen intot eh hands of the traditional scalpers.

Also, this extra revenue goes to the act, where it should go!

Lots of sour grapes form people not getting tickets but the reality is you could have bought some had you been willing to pay €415. You didn't, and that's on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Well not 'concerts'. Top level concerts, as you say at the end of your post. Top level referring I suppose to big names. Because there are dozens of top quality concerts happening in small venues around Dublin for half nothing every week. People should check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Avon8

How did that work for the people who panic bought Coldplay tiks for 400+? Each and every one of them got sold this week id imagine.

The demand for these gigs seem about 3x those Coldplay ones. It'll give people options the week of, sell on for no loss at worst

Same way that people seem incredulous that plenty can afford fancy cars (all on PCP supposedly) or 500k plus houses (widespread despite stringent borrowing rules). There's a lot of wealth in the country that people can't fathom or refuse to acknowledge. 400 for a gig this hyped doesn't seem that unreasonable to some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Stillill42

What do you mean 'no original acts are coming through.....' Do you mean no original acts are getting airplay? Or the credit they deserve? Or any money? All true. But there are a shitload of original acts out there playing to 200 people every night and making no money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yeah, the band have no say I'm sure...…

Who cares. Irish begrudery at its finest today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Yes i get that, that's always the responce. But since 2010, the last decade and a half is the first time there's been no original acts in the mainstream, getting their sound accross. This is in the context of bands playing big gigs, which the established bands like Oasis are now at a premium. We're starved of big bands playing big gigs as regularly as we once were, getting smaller all the time, as new bands simply cant get into the mainstream anymore.

I'm fully aware there's real and original acts out there. Thats not the point

Saw a clip from a podcast recently, so far this decade only three "bands" have had UK No.1 singles.

Little Mix is one, the other two are a Various Artists group put together by the BBC and….. The Beatles.

Most acts don't have a say anymore, most are commercial outfits, that have to tow the industry line. But Oasis would have some sway here, but don't really care. Not so much don't care, aren't arsed getting into the politics of it because it will ultimately be futile and they can't stand dealing with the industry to begin with.

Bands that tow the line will also get heavier promotion etc. The "music industry" hate the Damon Albarns of this world, who will actually push back, and stand against everything the industry does

• Advertisement

And any bands we're told to go and see in the smaller venues have nothing to say tbh. The thing is I find, bands that play the likes of Whelans, hipsters and all if you will, have music as their primary interest. The irony is, if your a "music nerd", and the music itself is your only interest, what else do you have to say?

Most bands, "the lads" in the 90's etc, music was the secondary interest, and a tool used to get across their views on life, they had something to say about the world. Young people stuck on phones and concerned about social media, have very little to say, and the music is quite weak as a result imo.

You need something to actually say. Most bands from the 90's wouldn't make it today, as the market it's aimed at simply don't buy it. The only band who would still break through now would be Oasis themselves, the force and sound of their music is too big to ignore in any era in any circumstance

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Ignacius

@Exclamation Marc the prices were not what they were. The price amount came out but this is not what people were being charged when they got to the top of the q. Was dynamic pricing. Ticket touting by Ticketmaster authorised by oasis the knobs. All while oasis were trying to get good PR by saying we don’t like ticket touts:-)

Well the prices were exactly as advertised... "from €86" (or whatever it was). The ads never said anything more than that.

Fully agree with you though as you're spot on... "authorised by Oasis" and they spin the good PR, I even saw earlier on twitter that they're saying resold tickets would be cancelled. Despite authorising tickets to be sold at x multiples of the face value.

What can Oasis do exactly, or their people, other than give lip service? I don't think you realize, for them to go up against ticketmaster (the industry or whoever), gets them nowhere, other than into muddy waters where everything gets twisted on them. They'll be told tickets are selling at "x amount" to cut down on demand for example, otherwise we won't be able to handle it. And if they don't do it, will be spun against them publicaly. Ticketmaster and the like are in with all the big media companies.

It's not worth the headache and futile, they just want to play a few gigs. The music industry, touts and sellers have become a monster, and unless people stop buying into commercial acts like Coldplay and Taylor Swift and feeding it, nothing will change. Anyone who does speak out, is effectively ostracised, and not to bring him up again, Damon Albarn being a good example. Oasis are pissing against the wind, even if they did try and do something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,819 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Since the band and the promoters are mad for the money, in the future, maybe for gigs like this Oasis one, make all the tickets €1000 to start with.

See if the 160,000 sell out.

If they don't, put the remainder up for €900.

And so on, until they are gone. That way the plebs are priced out of the concerts completely, which is what the organisers want. Maximum profit.

What a nonsense post. An Oasis reformation would be one of the most lucrative tours going right now. They could have dictated exactly what they wanted, they're not the begging bowl paupers you're inferring. This tour only happens at their say so, they are literally big enough to dictate how things will go.

The amount of money this tour will make not only them but everyone associated with it is vast - this tour will be a cash cow - and you're extremely naive to think that they're at the whim of ticketmaster or mcd. If they didn't like something, they could have said no and kept on as they were. MCD will be bending over backwards to make this tour happen. Oasis don't need MCD, MCD need Oasis.

Damon Albarn ostracised? That's just total nonsense. Blur, Gorillaz and himself solo have played Malahide, the 3Arena and National Concert Hall in recent years so he is certainly not ostracised.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Oasis are plenty plenty big enough to do whatever they want this side of the Atlantic. If they didn't want dynamic pricing that'd be that there'd be no dynamic pricing.

They're no different to Taylor Swift, ACDC, Coldplay etc from a commercial sense as evidenced by the sale today.

They don't just want to play a few gigs. They want to make as much money as possible. Fair enough can hardly blame them. But its pointless trying to imply they had no choice in these matters.

Damon Albarn isn't on the same level for this sort of scenario no one could ostracise an oasis reunion no matter how unpalatable their hypothetical demands would have been to the corporate world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Because that's a dumb idea.

The way they did it, while greedy, was calculated to extract the maximum amount they could. And they did.

Clever but greedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,819 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Ah ok, It's hard to to tell in here sometimes!! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭rodders999

The extra dates (if there are any) needed to be released by 10am yesterday when the uk sale was going on and it was clear releasing the croke park tickets an hour ahead of everywhere else had turned the the whole thing into a massive shambles.

If they announce something during the week or next weekend then the same thing will happen all over again with half the world logging on to try and buy tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

If there is extra dates announced it'll be interesting to see if they sell out given how angry or frustrated so many people are.

I for one won't be wasting any time in a virtual queue or spending €500 for an "in demand" standing ticket.

There has been some very valid points raised when comparing to airline tickets or hotels who effectively use dynamic pricing. The thing I have learned this weekend is that dynamic pricing is different than surge pricing. When an airline ups the price of a ticket for a 6N match in Paris, everyone knows it's going to cost more. By and large everyone on the plane will have paid the same price and you know what the price is before you click on it, where you are sitting and what your luggage allowance is. It's open, fair and I know what I am getting when I login to their website.

With Ticketmaster and surge pricing, it's very different. You go into a queue and have no idea what your options are. You have no idea of what seats are available and and how much you are going to pay. When you get in, then you're pressured into taking these scandalous priced tickets. The more I read and try to understand that the more I believe it is an awful practice.

If someone wants to charge €500 for a ticket fine but offer it to customers at €500 ticket. Don't offer me a ticket from €86.50......

Personally, I think anyone who has paid that amount of money to stand at a gig needs their head examined. As a 43 year old Dad of 2, I won't be spending 2 months grocery budget on 2 tickets to see Liam Gallaghers High Flying Birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

For surge pricing to be effective to the extent that Oasis have done it here, you probably have to have massive level of uncertainty at the start of the process. That's how you make it work - escalate the FOMO levels.

I suspect there will likely be less than 24 hours notices and at that, they will only announce one concert. Say nothing for a few days and Crtl C/V for gig No. 4.

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It's gas reading comments relating to Oasis calling the shots, or allowing it to go ahead this way, or it being TicketMaster to blame. It's the same conjecture on every hyped ticket thread,nobody here has a bulls notion of the extensive time and effort that would go into such contracts relating to concerts. Unless you're someone who works in the industry (which I don't believe anyone has claimed here), we'll never know who allows what and how the revenue is calculated and paid to the artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭kolkio

I strongly disagree. Original Irish rock/indie/folk/metal music is in rude health at the moment. With bands that have a lot to say. Look at all the Irish bands that played UK festivals this summer (Glastonbury, Reading/Leeds, etc). They all have individual sounds, styles and attitudes.

Fontaines DC's new album has gone top ten in ten countries just this week. The headliners of tomorrow are here, kicking and growing.

On a different note, I wouldn't be surprised if the resurgence of Oasis led to a renewed focus on indie rock similar to the 90s. The media have seen the drawing power of Oasis so they may throw a tiny bit of their spotlight on a scene or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

Your last sentence is just akin to victim blaming. You can't afford to pay the ridiculous, greedy, unjust prices, so that's your own fault.

I find it remarkable that anyone should try to justify this greed while **** on the punter.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

the Gallaghers - voice of the Everyman etc etc - are up to their necks in this. IMHO they are no where near worth the money nor is their music …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭T.V Eye

I wouldn't be a fan but I think it's impressive that Coldplay were a big indie band when I was a teenager and 20 years later they are one of the biggest pop bands on the planet with a huge teen following. I don't follow them enough to have seen that journey but it's rare enough.

I seen them about 20 years ago in Marlay Park because Interpol were supporting. I'd say a good chunk of people that day don't even list to them now. A total refresh of your audience is mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭COH

People can be as indignant and annoyed as they want over the pricing - but the fact remains that if Oasis announce more shows they will sell out again in seconds.

Advertisement