Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

1247248249250251253»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

All you can go on is the polls, which they themselves haven't been accurate in the past.

Right now, all we have is some tells. There's the empty seats at his rallies. That's a good sign. There's the money he's raised Vs what she raised, that's another good sign. The republicans that are coming out publicly against him, another good sign.

The theory of the secret No Trump voter is also giving hope. He didn't do as well as polls suggested in the primaries, so hopefully that could carry on to to the election.

Right now the polls are far too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Steviemak7

A good portion of that 74m are dead and the first time younger voters will be more in Kamala's camp.

Good God, this guy is a grade "A" ar*ehole.

And if 78 year old, unfit, overweight Trump croaks, this guy could be president. Christ on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Rawr

The secret “No Trump” voter is something I wonder about. Given the cultish fervour that many in MAGA appear to have, I can easily imagine family or community members amongst such people wanting keeping their distain for Trump quiet whenever the topic comes up. Sort of like an atheist growing up among extreme Evangelicals in the Deep South; they might give the church lip service, and then act differently once they have the opportunity.

So when people are polled about their voting preference, I sort of imagine that this isn’t done in the form of a closed anonymous vote like in the actual election. I imagine that your answer to the pollster is heard by others, potentially people in your own family or community. So these secret No Trump voters might tell the pollster that they’ll vote Trump for the sake of peace in their home life, but once they get to the privacy of the voting booth they might put an X beside Harris instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not at the same rate by any means.

There's a massive bubble of Gen Z voters now eligible, much larger than the Boomers and older that have died off.

The Gen Z age group overwhelmingly vote Democrat and there will be 40m+ eligible to vote this time around.

Turnout will be key and as others have pointed out there has been a massive spike in vote registration among younger voters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,705 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Obviously some people have died in the last 8 years, but many of the much older group would not have been inclined to stand for hours waiting to vote or getting organised to do a postal vote. They would likely have not been voting anyway. Whereas the younger grouping who have any sort of interest at all are more likely to actively do something about voting.

This Supreme Court ruling https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ckg21x1j54mo could resonate with students and is timed well for the election, it could backfire on the conservative ruling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fortunately I think there will be more Republicans and Independents that have been put off by Trump. Bernie supporters turned to him before as a '**** you' to the DNC after the delegate/primary fracas in 2016, and Republicans would have voted for an inanimate carbon rod over Hillary Clinton, but now you have a fairly staunchly united Democratic Party and they have the support of the likes of never trumper republicans, your Cheneys and your Kinzingers, and probably a lot of older neocons that the Tea Party once ostracized from their own party as RINOs and turned it into the mess it is now.

The only glaring exception to this is supporters against what is happening in Palestine, which of course is a complete mess, even if Trump would be worse, a lot of these voters might stay home, and still a lot of them might, rather recklessly IMHO, vote for him out of spite, and cut their own noses off. The one real hope in this election is that Women voters are really getting out there, and most women voters are single issue voters, without any guesses required as to what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thumb potentially going hard on the scale for Trump in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Meh….. it's not like the Supreme Court is full of his appointees or people whose partners led part of the Stop the Steal narrative in 2020…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He was a very poor choice as VP pick by Trump. He's even further to the right than his boss, meaning his appeal to anyone outside that bubble is very limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

In the pre-maga era, a presidential candidate doing a thumbs up at Arlington would have immediately sunk their campaign. Shows how far the GOP has fallen. I wonder can the party of McCain and Mitt Romney be salvaged. If Trump loses, the direction the party goes in will be telling. I wonder is it possible that the the MAGA wing will split and form its own party and the GOP will revert to traditional conservatism.

Advertisement