Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

1247248249250251253»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

All you can go on is the polls, which they themselves haven't been accurate in the past.

Right now, all we have is some tells. There's the empty seats at his rallies. That's a good sign. There's the money he's raised Vs what she raised, that's another good sign. The republicans that are coming out publicly against him, another good sign.

The theory of the secret No Trump voter is also giving hope. He didn't do as well as polls suggested in the primaries, so hopefully that could carry on to to the election.

Right now the polls are far too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Steviemak7

A good portion of that 74m are dead and the first time younger voters will be more in Kamala's camp.

Good God, this guy is a grade "A" ar*ehole.

And if 78 year old, unfit, overweight Trump croaks, this guy could be president. Christ on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Rawr

The secret “No Trump” voter is something I wonder about. Given the cultish fervour that many in MAGA appear to have, I can easily imagine family or community members amongst such people wanting keeping their distain for Trump quiet whenever the topic comes up. Sort of like an atheist growing up among extreme Evangelicals in the Deep South; they might give the church lip service, and then act differently once they have the opportunity.

So when people are polled about their voting preference, I sort of imagine that this isn’t done in the form of a closed anonymous vote like in the actual election. I imagine that your answer to the pollster is heard by others, potentially people in your own family or community. So these secret No Trump voters might tell the pollster that they’ll vote Trump for the sake of peace in their home life, but once they get to the privacy of the voting booth they might put an X beside Harris instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not at the same rate by any means.

There's a massive bubble of Gen Z voters now eligible, much larger than the Boomers and older that have died off.

The Gen Z age group overwhelmingly vote Democrat and there will be 40m+ eligible to vote this time around.

Turnout will be key and as others have pointed out there has been a massive spike in vote registration among younger voters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,705 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Obviously some people have died in the last 8 years, but many of the much older group would not have been inclined to stand for hours waiting to vote or getting organised to do a postal vote. They would likely have not been voting anyway. Whereas the younger grouping who have any sort of interest at all are more likely to actively do something about voting.

This Supreme Court ruling https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ckg21x1j54mo could resonate with students and is timed well for the election, it could backfire on the conservative ruling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fortunately I think there will be more Republicans and Independents that have been put off by Trump. Bernie supporters turned to him before as a '**** you' to the DNC after the delegate/primary fracas in 2016, and Republicans would have voted for an inanimate carbon rod over Hillary Clinton, but now you have a fairly staunchly united Democratic Party and they have the support of the likes of never trumper republicans, your Cheneys and your Kinzingers, and probably a lot of older neocons that the Tea Party once ostracized from their own party as RINOs and turned it into the mess it is now.

The only glaring exception to this is supporters against what is happening in Palestine, which of course is a complete mess, even if Trump would be worse, a lot of these voters might stay home, and still a lot of them might, rather recklessly IMHO, vote for him out of spite, and cut their own noses off. The one real hope in this election is that Women voters are really getting out there, and most women voters are single issue voters, without any guesses required as to what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thumb potentially going hard on the scale for Trump in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Meh….. it's not like the Supreme Court is full of his appointees or people whose partners led part of the Stop the Steal narrative in 2020…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,076 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He was a very poor choice as VP pick by Trump. He's even further to the right than his boss, meaning his appeal to anyone outside that bubble is very limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

In the pre-maga era, a presidential candidate doing a thumbs up at Arlington would have immediately sunk their campaign. Shows how far the GOP has fallen. I wonder can the party of McCain and Mitt Romney be salvaged. If Trump loses, the direction the party goes in will be telling. I wonder is it possible that the the MAGA wing will split and form its own party and the GOP will revert to traditional conservatism.

If it does, it's bye bye governing for any time in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭briany

In order to get American politics back on an even keel, American society would have to do some serious soul searching and reconfiguration of its power structures, and I have seen little to no indication that the country is willing to undertake this kind of hard work. Would they even know where to begin?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Maxface

JD was an exceptionally poor choice. I wonder what numbers they saw that edged it towards him? As for Trump, I presume somebody somewhere has looked under the hood of his support. Obviously you have the Republicans who will vote R regardless, what else is the appeal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Don Jr liked Vance. That appeared to be the deciding, and possibly only, factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭Penn

At the time of selection, Trump was up against Biden, it looked like Biden was going to dig his heels in and stay as the nominee, and Trump looked pretty certain of victory.

Vance wasn't chosen for how he could get more votes for Trump. He was chosen because of his links with the creators of Project 2025, the donors who seemed to be pushing for Vance as VP and therefore the money they might donate to Trump, and Don Jr and Eric seemed to like him as someone who they felt was cooler and wittier than Harris (then the VP). Plus if push came to shove, Vance seemed to be someone who would do what Pence refused to do, which is "whatever Trump told him to do". Vance offered no electoral advantage, just personal advantages to Trump for bigger donors and better backing from the likes of the Heritage Foundation.

Vance was a pretty awful pick from the start, but now that Biden is out, Harris is opposing Trump and now someone like Walz is opposite Vance, now Vance's flaws are far more highlighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I feel the same. Unfortunately finding another planet is not feasible right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,137 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Obviously Thiel giving Trump a lot of money for him and the sons liking him was massive.

However the electoral gamble from Trumpworld is he may appeal to white working class type voters in the swing states who probably lean right and obviously the base love him.

It does seem like its backfired but that's on Trump, he could have picked Rubio and this election would have been done but neither wanted to deal with the hassle of picking 2 from the same state and the sons thought the other contender Burgum was a nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

He tried to convince people that he was intelligent !!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭amandstu

Hard to tell it it backfired as ,imo the main thing was the exit of Biden from the race (hiding other factors although Kamala has indeed excelled so far).

I thought Vance's advantage was that he could string sentences together (lie better and more logically than Trump)

A balanced ticket in that regard.

If Biden can secure some kind of a cease fire in Gaza ,maybe that will pull a swing state or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Maxface

It's interesting that the thought is that it was all about money, which makes total sense with Trump. I would also say that JD probably isn't a negative voting wise, just probably not a net gainer. I worry that the Trump/JD pairing in swing states is pretty solid, for whatever reason. It will either be a slow chip away at that support or it will stay solid. Makes it a nervous election for Harris/Walz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,137 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

To Amanda Stu…as quoting not working for some reason.

Fair but all we can do go by is approval numbers and JD's are awful especially compared to Waltz.

Vance is highly intelligent but their is so much "edge lord" stuff he has said over the years which has obviously came back to haunt him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Just came to mind there as I was reading about Musk personally targeting a supreme court judge, he could be as dangerous in terms of rhetoric as Trump if Trump loses in November. Even pre November, I expect he'll be pushing every election conspiracy going.

Musk is definitely dangerous. He is the stereotypical evil billionaire from a James Bond movie at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Yep and he really doesn't seem to even comprehend potential personal consequences if he uses Twitter to go after Democratic elections. On the plus side, at least he can't become president.

When I was a kid I was a big fan of Thunderbirds. For those not in the know, around the year 2060, former astronaut turned Aerospace Billionaire Jeff Tracey "retires" to an island in the pacific, but secretly sets up International Rescue. Using unique, high powered machines, he helps the world along with his 5 sons. Musk could have gone down that route, but seemingly helping people for free is not enough of an ego boost for him,so he wants to interfere in elections instead.

Advertisement