Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oasis Reunion. Its finally happening😱

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭jj880

People dont know something until they find out about it. Something being around for a long time is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Exactly. You've answered yourself - it's irrelevant if people were or weren't aware of it before they joined the queue. It's a thing that's part of the process.

Its irrelevant if people knew or didn't know about dynamic pricing before joining the TM queue? Err... Ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭nc6000

I was talking about dynamic pricing not platinum tickets. I've heard of those before and VIP tickets and meet and greet stuff etc, they've been around a while.

What appears to be new is this idea of tickets prices rising based on demand. Not based on extras like going backstage or meeting the artist or having a better view, just based on demand. It sounds like people will be standing beside each other at gigs and one person may have paid multiples of what the other person paid.

I don't see what the problem is. They knew about it before they decided to buy tickets. There was a big i next to the ticket type which explained what the tickets were and how prices were set. Did you expect ticketmaster to send a letter to everyones house before tickets went on sale or put an ad on RTE to explain it? Where did you expect them to find out if not on the website during the purchase process? It was crystal clear once you got to the ticket selection page what they were.

They probably didn't know about 10% service charges or delivery fees before joining the queue either. Is that a problem?

They're the same thing. Platinum tickets don't have any extras. They're not new.

A £20m divorce can change a man’s perspective.

I think its safe to say not everyone was aware of dynamic ticket pricing before Friday morning which was the original point. Id also say its very relevant to this debate / thread. Im not going to discuss daft tangents like letters in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭Fanirish

people paying different prices for sold out shows in same areas is nothing new. It was just previously that touts got the difference now it’s the artist. Some seated beside you at all ireland could of got it for cost whilst you paid 300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭crl84

It's been used at a few gigs here in the last few years.

Commonly used in the US.

If you get rid of it you just end up with more tickets in the VIP bundle grouping.

Get rid of that and you just have more seats in closer rows with more expensive prices, and more/larger "golden circle" standing areas.

Get rid of all them and you just have more expensive standard prices across the board.

"Some might say" that having tiered pricing is actually more fair for people who have less money, and those with more money choosing to pay the crazy dynamic prices subsidises those €87 tickets....

Not much different than a progressive tax system, where the highest earners pay more tax and subsidise those less well off paying less. Rather than a flat rate tax which disproportionately affects those on lower incomes.

I competely agree with you that a lot of people wouldn't have been aware of it.

But they were made aware of it when they got to the ticket selection page. I'm not trying to be daft, I'm genuinely asking where else could someone logically be made aware of it - other than when they're going through the process.

Nobody was sold a ticket and found out later that it was actually a dynamically priced ticket. It was labelled very very clearly as such at the selection page so unless someone didn't bother to read the information on the ticket selection page, they'd have been made aware of it BEFORE they purchased it.

Does anyone have the explanation wording of a "dynamic price" ticket from the ticket selection page?

Good call, some of the replies have been pretty daft and it's surprisingly how many people seem to be defending the dynamic pricing nonsense.

Explaining dynamic pricing is not the same as defending it.

• Advertisement

That doesn't mean an awful lot really and doesn't say that prices would change during the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,999 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its deliberately vaguely explained in order to cause confusion, but is sufficient for legal cover, but its gotta stop now, you d have to wonder how many more events will have to occur before regulatory bodies truly step in, im not holding my breath!

it didn’t change during the sale those were always €415. It was just that as all other cheaper options bought the only remaining tickets were the €415 ones being offered

Regulatory bodies won't step in because it's not a regulated activity. It never will be.

People are free to not buy the tickets.

It was labelled very very clearly as such at the selection page

Just so Im clear. Is that everything related to dynamic ticket pricing shown to customers during the ticket sale on Friday morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Stillill42

The sheer relief at knowing with certainty that nobody I like is anywhere close to popular enough to be involved in this sort of **** show is priceless. Priceless I tell you.

I agree nothing wrong with explaining.

So lets have it. Do you think there is nothing wrong with how dynamic ticket prices were used during this sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭rockterrain

It could be more clearly highlighted in pre comms which needs to be backed by more robust consumer legislation. "Tickets from 86euro" used to have some meaning in the pre dynamic pricing era and was often interpreted as standing tickest or lower quality tier seats with a reasonable upward range (normally not even doubling that amount for the most expensive seats). Perhaps anything between 30-40% of tickets actually went for that minimum price. Now the "dynamic cost" of standing was about 5X that price and nobody knows if those 86 even existed or how many there were. Something like "expected average ticket price range is between x and y" would make more sense where dynamic pricing is at play.

I don't like it AT ALL and I hate the practice but theres nothing 'wrong' with it. You could clearly see the price of a general admission ticket and the price of an in demand ticket with an explanation next to it. It was impossible to be "duped" unless someone didn't bother reading all the information.

If I don't like the price, I'll walk away as many people did.

Do I think the prices were crazy and unjustified? Yep.

Do I wish that dynamic pricing was done away with? Yep.

Do I think that Oasis have gauged their fans? Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭squonk

There only needed to be 1 €86.50 ticket available. That’s the reality. The translation of Dynamic Pricing is “Touts were making money on tickets. We’ve lobbied to outlaw that so now we can fúck punters over instead. While a tout you can haggle with or walk away, we’ll stick you in a queue, feed you no meaningful information then quote you an over inflated price, give you a small time window to decide and pressurise you as much as possible. It’s all legal. We’re brilliant!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

How could you not like Liam and pay big money to go see Oasis next year? the singer. 🤦‍♂️🤣

sure Noel wrote the songs but let him sing all the songs and see how many people turn up.

Im not sure where to go with that from a debate standpoint.

There's nothing wrong with it but it should be done away with?

It's like when someone starts an answer to a question with "yes and no".

Sorry but i have to correct this again.

Ticketmaster lobbied AGAINST that legislation that outlawed reselling. A quick Google will confirm that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,043 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Christ, this thread reads like Oasis were the pioneers of dynamic pricing in some sort of unique collaboration with Ticketmaster.

May I present Bruce Springsteen..

“What I do is a very simple thing. I tell my guys, ‘Go out and see what everybody else is doing. Let’s charge a little less.’ That’s generally the directions,” he shared. “They go out and set it up. For the past 49 years or however long we’ve been playing, we’ve pretty much been out there under market value. I’ve enjoyed that. It’s been great for the fans.”

He added, “This time I told them, ‘Hey, we’re 73 years old. The guys are there. I want to do what everybody else is doing, my peers.’ So that’s what happened."

The problem is you can't take on Ticketmaster.. plenty have tried and failed.

LiveNation owns loads of venues.. where do you propose bands play in the case of boycotting?

It's not difficult to grasp. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean there's a legitimate reason it can of should be done away with.

Maybe I'll rephrase it. I would like Dynamic Pricing to be done away with however I can't see how Ticketmaster could be obliged to get rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,509 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Regulatory bodies are formed to deal with situations just like this, usually because people complain about bad business practices.

Accepting a bad status quo shouldn't be the only approach to a bad situation.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭squonk

Ok fair enough but likely only so that could protect their own shíthole site that I think is cashed German but legend it’s changed now. It just paints an equally bad picture though. We’ll become tours ourselves. That’ll sort out the other touts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭TenPicnics

Just happened on a live Oasis gig from '95 or '96, I think, from somewhere in Sweden, being broadcast in full right now on RTE radio 1 ... have to say, Liam sounds absolutely brilliant alongside a wall of guitar sound. All the band on ultra top form, worth a listen back.

Ok since no-one has replied lets assume (for now) this is the only information presented to the customer for dynamic ticket pricing for Oasis:

So you say you dont like this however you also say there is no legitimate reason to oblige ticketmaster to change this wording.

Yeah you're right. Im definitely not grasping it.

Edit: just because it's legal for TM to do this at the moment does that mean they should be left to monopolise and gouge round them. New legislation is commenced all the time for when cowboys find ways to take the p!ss. I think the in demand ticket wording above is a very legitimate reason for new legislation / regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kennytheboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭flended12

ahem...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kennytheboy

Also to let ye know there were definitely 4 €86.50 tickets as I was offered them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Poor old Oasis fans are paying for Noels divorce. Sarah Mcdonald you bitch😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No one is forced into buying anything. This is the main point.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭tommythecat

But that's not dynamic then. It says the price changes based on demand, not that there are a certain number at X price and then the remainder are at y. So it very much does change during the sale or else it's all a load of tosh.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭TenPicnics

Turns out the gig was from '94 just after DM released. Liam sounded quite polite between songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't know if anyone is saying 'its legal so it's grand'....to be clear I am saying if you don't like it, don't engage. Enough people do this, practices change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

On your last line, that certainly wasn't the case on Friday night anyway. There were 2 teenage girls next to us alright, but we made a point of it at the time that there were a lot less people under say 20 years old than we thought there'd be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

What’s it got to do with taking on Ticketmaster? The artist sets the prices and opts into dynamic pricing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

I am shocked.

Shocked I tell you, that people think concert tickets should be cheap.

Who doesn't want everything to be cheaper.

I'd love to be a top quality car for a price I deem acceptable.

The fact of the matter is, they sold out every single gig, so potentially, you could argue that the tickets were priced perfectly, or even a little cheap.

These arguments have after every big event, where people don't get the tickets they were hoping for.

The only issue I have is with the ticketmaster site. People queuing, and then getting kicked out for no reason is ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I was one of the lucky ones to get tickets in the presale on Friday night. I actually bought them while walking into Croke Park to see Coldplay. €136.75 each for the Upper Cusack back toward the Davin so a good bit back from the stage. But I'm happy out with it and realise I was one of the very fortunate ones.

I'm just catching up on this thread now and I hadn't realised about the dynamic / platinum tickets or whatever they're calling them. That's very disappointing and I'd hate for that to become the norm. Having one fan standing next to another having paid multiple times the cost of the same ticket is wrong in my opinion. If the band / promotor have a number that they aim to make €x in ticket sales per concert, I'd prefer they increased all tickets by €20 or whatever (even if it would have cost me extra this time) rather than the way it was done. Hopefully there'll be extra dates added, although I wouldn't blame anyone for staying away after how these 2 dates were handled.

Agreed. If all tickets have to go up a bit for everyone to get a fair shake so be it.

Just because dynamic ticket pricing is within the law or unregulated right now doesnt mean it should stay that way.

Many underhanded advertising and sales tactics have been banned. It happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Duffy98

Catching up with all the posts regarding all the dynamic pricing nonsense and the justifications behind it and the cons of it.

It's as simple as this, Noel has gone on the record saying if ya offer me X amount I'll reform Oasis, he's now got a 20-30m divorce bill to pay and because of that he's reformed the band, he clearly wasn't making enough with HFB to be able to pay that. He's cashed in on the Oasis reunion and will make a fortune, more power to him along with Liam. If anyone of us were offered a load of money to stand next to someone for 90 mins and play some chords we'd all do it in the morning.

People were gonna pay what they needed to pay to see them, do I think the prices are mental? Yes, but its the way the market works, if theres low supply and high demand the markets gonna adjust, does it price the average person? Yep, but in the endless queues and ticketmaster dragging it out they create a now or never scenario where they put you in a panic to buy them, im sure they have a team of people who's sole focus is to design this in such a way for you to buy them and get the dopamine rush.

It's a concert nobody is forcing anyone to go, I've seen so many of the bucketlist acts this year that I wasn't fussed in the slightest at the end of yesterday. Was I disspointed, of course I was, im as big a fan as anyone else, I've seen Noel and Liam 6 times in the last few years, been there done it and would have liked to finally have seen both on the stage.

Only part that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth is who they deem is a loyal fan and who got presale access, is a loyal fan someone who is on a mailing list for a number of years where they were inactive or someone who's seen and supported both their solo work and paid merch, tickets etc? Or is it someone who googled the answer to the ballot question, thats my only real gripe with the entire thing, they should have allowed genuine fans who supported them an actual chance at being able to see the reunion and they failed to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

You’re bang on. The people complaining about gigs getting too expensive etc. mostly have no interest going down to Whelans, The Grand Social etc. and seeing someone for the price of a couple pints, nor do they seem to realise that the reason the likes of Oasis can charge that much is because they are interested in going.

• Advertisement
Advertisement