Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭batistuta9

that's kinda what i was asking, not like they're unaware of them. need someone who knows a few using the one service with different isp

they're only blocking what they're told so maybe yours didn't make the list yet, which likely updated regularly. though it'd be interesting to see if you knew someone being blocked trying it from your house. I've noticed with pure & sky they're only blocking some servers from the provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭jj880

Using or providing illegal streams is dangerous for the consumer in terms of exposing them to scammers

The dangers to the family home are real for those who take the risk of using these criminal services

Speak up if you know about the criminals involved. You’ll be helping to protect people from putting themselves in danger

The fact you would post this drivel as some kind of source is telling. Similar to your form over in the DRS thread though.

I have family and in laws with 4 different ISPs using the same as me. Nothing blocked.

Edit: there are some channels that go off line but not often. Usually back in a couple of days so maybe there are some getting blocked. The good thing is there are about 4 or 5 different versions of the sports. HEVC, UHD, FHD, 50fps, 30fps etc. so I dont miss anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

I think it bypasses the restrictions that happen from time to time on my iptv service. That's all I use it for.

Post edited by SteM on

• Advertisement

Anyone else have Deadpool Wolverine appear last night then disappear this morning?

Epic opening scene. It was running at 1.3MB per second for me and was planning to watch it all tonight. Did some quick sums. Nearly a 10gb rip 😂 so not surprising it was pulled down.

Fyi its available elsewhere and is very good quality. Have it on usb now for tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Id be lucky to get a 10mb quality rip 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Lads anyone PM me their provider? My lad is messing lately by deleting accounts he feels are being used in multiple households or accounts connecting from different ip address over the course of days. Not happy with him as i use vpn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

they can come up with strange notions at times , but only heard of this one with dual line accounts in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tommysocks11

I have a dodgy box actually a firestick but watching matches it can buffer a lot, I have fiber broadband so speed isn't the issue, I don't have a VPN and I'm wondering if I did would that resolve the issue, any ideas??

• Advertisement

no check your wifi speed and strength on your firestick = - have your modem up high , it may be just the server your connected to , you will always get some buffering now and then . try other streams also ie ss prem lge not just main event and other channels etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭shmeee

Go to WiFi settings on your Firestick and do a speed test firstly. What speed you hitting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Try watching the same channels (sky sports I'm assuming) when Premier league isn't on (eg a random afternoon). If its still buffering then, could be a networking issue or a WiFi signal issue. If the channels work perfectly though, and the buffering only happens when the soccer is on, a vpn should help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

A lot of the routers supplied by Virgin/Eir etc are limited and often out dated as speeds increase. I suffered for years with a Virgin router and through constant searches I found it was not able to cope with the 100gb fibre BB. I bought a new TP link router and switched the virgin one to modem use and then connected the new router and boom….happy days.

Dont ask me any tech questions as I am not that savvy, just use google and youtube.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

A question for the savvy people of this thread. I have 2 suppliers for dodgy box. Both offer their own apps, which are fine, but nothing special. Both also provide xtreme code url links to use in 3rd party apps.

I use the service on my phone, a tablet and my TV (using nvidia shield). Just wondering if there is a preferred app I could be using?

I tend to use either the standalone app or smarters on my phone or tablet, and just use the standalone app on TV.

Any alternatives?

Two issues I've had specific issue with:

1. On my phone (and to lesser extent tablet) the ability to play PIP so I can keep using phone without the stream stopping would be super handy.
    2. Across devices I will occasionally use the catch up feature to watch stuff I've missed. This doesn't seem to work for me properly on any app I've tried on TV except the providers own. The catch up usually works on smarters on phone or tablet though.

Thanks in advance!

Mine started working again. Im tempted to switch though. Providing an illegal service and then try and penalise lads for using a line in two diffetent gafs. **** off.

So if i have a vpn on with a mongolian ip how do they know what is going on? Dopes.

a double line are meant to be on the same ip if you want to use them in different areas you need 2 seperate lines

running picture on picture is 2 streams - twice the internet and processing on an tablet thats not set up for it is an issue

2nd issue is likely the same - if your running in an underpowered tablet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Eir have always supplied me with the router appropiate to the internet product, before Fibre and since. I had Fibre to the Cabinet up to 100 Mb and the router for that service. But I could never get more than 40, nothing to do with the router, just the physical distance to the cabinet.

I have 1 Gb Fibre to the Home now with the appropriate router for that service. Getting around 940 Mb down and 100 up. You are not on a 100 Gb service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why don't you get on to their customer service?

People on here are always yapping on about how the customer service from their illegal IPTV service is better than what you get from the likes of Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭con747

And you are on here for? Oh yeah, no idea. 🙄

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

Mine is, I stand by that. No calls tho, all done thru messaging on their website. I've never waited more than 10 mins for anything to be resolved, usually done in less than 5 mins. I couldn't say that about sky when I used them.

I have. And got it sorted promptly enough. Plenty more providers though so i will have a look around.

I also got some cans in the north yesterday and watched the match on my dodgy box. Your biggest nightmare tod 🤣. Lads enjoying themselves and not getting fleeced in the process.

Doesnt answer my question about how they identify your ip.

If im using a line on one firestick with my VPN connected to thailand and a second line on another firestick with my vpn connected to canada how to they police that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

To be fair, Sky and Eir customer service is woeful, it can't be that hard to be better than them

why you would use vpns based so far away i dont know lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭shmeee

I know on my provider, when my account is active (in use) on a 2nd TV, the first TV it was on will cut off. It will take a minute or 2 for one of the TVs to go black. This is when using the providers app, so they must see multiple logins, and the system boots one out. Only ever myself using the service in the house so doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

On a shield the only thing I use use is Tivimate.

You can add the as many services as you want to it so everything is in one place. It has great PIP functionality so you could watch a match on service #1 and have another match from service #2 on a smaller screen. You can hide groups or re-arrange groups and channel order to get rid of the dross you don't want to see. Catch up works fine, we use it all the time. Any channel that has a little 'clock' symbol beside it has the catch up so you just press the left button on the remote and scroll back through the shows to find the one you want and select play.

Edit. I've just run Smarters, started a channel and pressed the home icon (the circle) on my android phone. It has minimized the screen so the channel is playing in a small box that can be moved around the screen and I can open Chrome, Gmail etc in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I enjoy cheap cans and illegal IPTV streaming myself.

But shopping in the north and using illegal IPTV streaming are not the vanguard of the revolution some people think they are or wish they were.

• Advertisement

Customer service on mine is excellent. Friend I know locally and he always responds quickly on WhatsApp. However if I saw a better service in someone else's house and the record of the provider is good (uptime and customer service) I might move. Doesnt hurt to be on the lookout for a better deal. Yap! Yap! Yap! 😂

Advertisement