Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2024 - Round 16 - Italy- Monza

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The cut of Rosberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Norris not in the mood to talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Good race, great strategy from Ferrari (who'd have thought it?).

I wonder is Piastri setting down a marker here, I can see him being absolute evens or ahead of Norris if he continues his progress into next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Incredible scenes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

That anthem was epic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'll never get sick of seeing Ferrari winning in Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Longing

Yes was going to say the same. Compared that to some of the dire end of race's celebrations, especially the ones in the desert. This is the heart of motor racing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Goosebumps watching that podium and hearing the crowd sing their national anthem. Can’t imagine what it felt like for Charles. Mental.

It helps that the Italian anthem is a banger. The combo of Dutch and Austrian is no match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

On the upside, Magnussen banned for next race as he achieved more than 12 penalty points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

I thought Ferrari had made a mistake earlier in the race when they tried to follow McClaren and got LeClerc undercut so the one stop may not have been the original plan at that stage. Either way, it worked out! Think Ferrari still get ridiculed as a legacy of Binotto’s time than Vasseur’s who has improved things.

100% Piastri has improved at such a rate that Norris could be under pressure next year. Piastri seems to have amazing composure for his experience. Unlucky not to get the win today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You don't get that at any other race, hearing them sing the national anthem was something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Absolute crazy stuff from McLaren.

2 car on the front row and got way in 1 2 positions. They should have worked together to run away from the rest of the field or use the 2nd car tactically.

Instead, Piastri attacking Norris fecked the whole race, let LeClerc into the mix and also resulted in having to take early stops and ruling out 1 stop race.

They are costing Norris the championship. What happened to the Lando play nice messages when he had to let Piastri past before, saying you will need Oscar to win the championship. Well he is not returning any of this so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Fair play to Piastri for not sitting back and going on the attack. Lando left himself open for the taking and that's exactly what Piastri and LeClerc done. Lando has 7 pole positions and everytime he's lost the lead on the first lap. Piastri is only 44 points behind Lando, he's an extremely good chance of catching him. As much of a team sport f1 is, you need to beat your teammate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

the only one costing Norris the championship is himself…

Ms

Delighted for Charles and disappointed for Lando.

Dull race do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

A Ferrari win in Italy is always special. This was extra special as it really wasn’t on until the last 10 or so laps.

Incredible drive from Leclerc, mega mega stuff.

McLaren will be kicking themselves (again) I suspect. They are not taking full advantage of their pace.

Ms

No he was not. Lando was the better driver. Mclaren just fecked up there strategy that is all. Absolutely stupid letting Piastri finish ahead of Lando.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Fact of the matter is, if Lando is forced to beat Oscar, he won't catch Max and it could give Red Bull an undeserved Constructors championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I definitely hit the jackpot at my first GP with Ferrari winning in Monza. Fantastic racing and fantastic atmosphere.

I couldn't quite make it so that I could see the front of the podium, but delighted nonetheless to be on the track and in with the crazy tifosi!

Piastri was the better driver. Had the pace, got the early overtake done.

Norris needs to make the case that he needs to be the number 1 driver and get the help he wants, but he hasn't yet.

Realistically the drivers championship isn't on the line this year, and if you start screwing Oscar now it'll hurt for next year. If the gap was much smaller then it'd be a different conversation.

If it were Red Bull, Ferrari or even Merc in the position that McLaren are in now, with the championship etc, they have swapped drivers. Red Bull would 100% anyway, McLaren have to start being ruthless to fully exploit their pace advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

While it's only an outside chance, Max and RB dont look great right now. One DNF with a race win and it's very much on.

Crazy from McClaren to not swap them. Every point counts and until Max pulls away more, you've got to try everything to reel him in. Massive comebacks happen every now and then but not if you're throwing points away.

Fantastic from Piastri. Saw his chance and took it. Poor from Norris. You have to defend even against your teammate.

I disagree it hurts Piastri for next year. It very clearly tells him, get in front and we will back you for a championship if it comes down to it between you and somebody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

I would think much the same way but they probably should give Norris every point he can get while there’s a chance.

I’ve little sympathy for Norris though as he hasn’t taken the opportunities that have come his way. 2 wins from 16 and has probably been in the best car (or close to) for at least half the season. He’s gotten in his own way as much as the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I am thinking that McLaren are not interested in getting Oscar to sacrifice his well earned lead just to give those better points to Lando. If I was Oscar, I'd only be interested in getting the best finish to the season as possible. Currently 4th in the Championship and could definitely go 3rd the way McLaren's form has been. And if Lando had a dodgy race and Oscar continually places higher in the races left, Oscar could potentially catch Lando (diff. -44). Also Lando is 62 points behind Max so is a bigger feat in a sense.

Max 303

Lando 241

Charles 217

Oscar 197

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

One of the few races I missed live and LeClerc wins it! Just finished the highlights, absolutely amazing. Good haul of points for Ferrari and great to win a home race.

Red Bull really struggling but Norris and McLaren struggling to bag all the points they should be getting with the fastest car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

I suspect McLaren are increasingly realising that Oscar is the future of the team, and Lando's behaviour at Hungary has left him in a more difficult sport where he lost a lot of the team's trust in him. The championship for its part is still a very long shot so it may be sensible not to rock the boat and create further tensions by intervening and stopping the faster driver on the day from coming out in front. They can't just calculate how many points they take today, but how many points they might potentially throw away in future races by creating a toxic culture within the team.

Norris has really tarnished his reputation this year though. I personally always highly rated him but he's had the best car for the majority of the season and yet he's nowhere near Max in the championship who has had to manage with a much slower car for most races. A day like today really highlights the difference. Lando had the best car and should have won comfortably, but he got caught sleeping and ended up down in third. Red Bull had the slowest car by far of the top teams, but Max still finished ahead of a Mercedes to get the maximum possible points, losing only 8 points to Norris in total.

When you reverse those roles, I'm not sure there's been a single race in the last four years when Max has had the fastest car and hasn't won barring reliability, he's won many with the second fastest car too. And if he's got the fastest car and McLaren is slowest of the top teams, that's a race where Max gets 25 points and Lando probably gets 6 or 4 - something like a 20 points gain versus the 8 points Lando gained. I know that's a wild hypothetical, but it's what's been happening throughout the season prior to now and it's the reason why Max still has such a commanding lead with a car that ought not to be up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

It’s not really like when Bottas was ahead of Hamilton or Perez ahead of Verstappen asking Piastri to make way for Norris, he is at worst marginally slower then Norris and I’d argue he’s even to him and today he was quicker, was he to relinquish a 4 second lead for example to let Norris through and then what, slog along behind him for the race in DRS?

There was 9s between Norris and Sainz. If team orders were given, all he had to do was slow down with a lap to go as the win wasn't possible anymore.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he let Norris through earlier.

Until and unless Norris makes it abundantly clear he can challenge for a title this year (and I don't believe he has done enough this year to show he can yet) then I think McLaren keep doing what they are doing and get the most out of their combined results.

It's nuts what they are doing.

There Is no excuse for it. If I was Norris i would be furious. Norris has a good chance of the title, Piastri does not. Its a no brainer. If the cars are running together and norris is behind, you swap. No loss to constructors points, but a big increase in drivers chances.

Allowing Piastri to challenge him and messing up the whole race is really not good enough. It cost them points and shouldn't have happened.

It boggles the mind.

I don't blame Oscar at all but I think Lando has a right to be annoyed with the team.

7 points lost to Piastri in Hungary and a possible 10 taken off him. Its adding up.

On my phone so I can properly link, but if you get a chance to check out Will Buxtons rant during the after race show on F1TV, do.

He sums it up pretty well in that McLaren are throwing away their chance for a drivers title right now, and I agree.

With Ferraris pace, Merc as well and if Red Bull can get some pace back, there is no guarantee of smooth results for McLaren and they could end up with half baked outcomes like today.

I don’t really know if it will fully hurt them, but imagine if they lose out by just a handful of points at the end of it all.

I'm watching f1 since 1993 and I cannot remember such a silly stance by any team when in mclarens position, specially such a big team who have been at the back for so long. They are basically saying they don't give a f##k about getting their driver a championship.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah watched that this morning. Not sure who he's trying to kid saying it's not because he's British, of course it bloody is. BBC have an article up too quoting Stella saying they'll have to think about team orders going forward.

Sure swapping Norris and Piastri and the end gives the team the same points.

I've no issue with Piastri being allowed to race but it's silly to not swap them when he couldn't catch LeClerc.

It would have cost them nothing in the constructors.

But Norris isn't putting himself in the position he needs to be in to make it a slam dunk swapping order.

Learn to start a race properly for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Who let those Sky gobshites up on the podium? You’d think that THEY had won the race the way they were going on. Can’t stand that Karun Chandok fella. Any of them in fact, except Brundle, although he’s getting worse as time goes on.
    Good on Leclerc blanking them when he came back for his selfie.

• Advertisement

Leave Karun alone. When you have to deal with the likes of Simon Lazenby, Anthony Davidson, Danica Patrick or Nico Rosberg the good people (people like Karun, the GOAT that is Bernie Collins, JB) need to protected.

If I was in charge of sky with current talent I'd have Natalie Pinkham host, I'd have Bernie Collins, Karun Chandhok and Jensen Button as pundits with Ted in the pits and Brundle and Crofty on comms. Have I missed anyone?

(note - this is based on current people who work with sky. I'm sure you could put a better line up together if you plucked from other broadcasters too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

Yesterday won’t have cost Norris the title. He would have cost it himself

Ms

He did start the race properly but then fell asleep after the first 2 turns and that's unfortunately when Piastri got through. Lando has a change this year to win the Drivers Championship and Mclaren should do everything they can to get him to win it both on and off the track. Then next year they can concentrate more on Piastri if they want too.

" Can’t stand that Karun Chandok fella."

Ye me either. Another Traitor.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No, the argument was if he wasn't going to pass LeClerc for the lead, to let Norris past on the last lap to give him second.

I can understand not asking Oscar to give up a win (though i'd probably still argue it), but giving up second is a very different ask.

If the situation was Perez in secone with Verstappen in 3rd, any basically any position with Verstappen the car behind Perez yesterday, I reckon RB would have asked Perez to let Max through, to maximise the points of their title contender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Acosta

Even If Red Bull, with Verstappen's current lead, were in the positions of the two Mclaren's yesterday, they would have swapped it. They also would have not swapped the drivers around for Piastri's win. It might be admirable from a sporting point of you, but McLaren are throwing away a decent shot at a drivers championship

Unrelated to the McLaren conversation, and maybe one specifically for @Jordan 199 - but that Alpine is looking much bluer now than I remember, they must have gotten to the bottom of the weight issues if they can afford paint now.

I agree. He should have been closer and, lets be honest, he should never have been in this position. Piastri never should have gotten past him.

I still think they should have swapped them. If they get close to Max in the WDC, these decisions may bite them in the ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Barrett

Lando's race engineer is failing him. McLaren should focus on winning both Championships this season. It seems at the moment they are mainly focusing only on WCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

It's Lando who is throwing away a decent shot of the drivers championship. Get off the line properly and none of this happens.

• Advertisement

I don't believe Webber will let Piastri be a number 2, he has the potential to be a world champion. I don't agree with team orders especially if a driver is still mathematically able to win it. If Lando can't put himself in the position to win races without his teammate moving aside then that's on him. If Mclaren don't give Piastri a fair shot then they'll lose him

Advertisement