Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Amazon it continuing to shoot the new season but without the showrunners or the writers or any producer with writing credit/ union membership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,707 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

new Trailer for August Season 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭jones

Looks decent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Looks good but I don't think that was ever the problem with the show.

I don't think it's as doomed as some are saying on social media though. I think the last episode was actually quite strong.

I agree I loved the last episode. The show has problems but there's a lot of good there too. Be interesting to see if they can resolve some of the issues in season 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,625 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The first 3 episodes of season 2 drop tomorrow by the looks of things.

A new addition to the case : Tom Bombadil will be played by Olivier award winning actor Rory Kinnear
    (The Creature in Penny Dreadful, Bill Tanner in recent Bond movies).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Great actor, hopefully the material will be on point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

To say the anticipation for this is muted is being generous

Should be one of the biggest media events of the year and I haven’t heard a single person even tangentially talk about it (and lots of my friends would be big LotR fans, myself included)

Season 1 was such a trainwreck it killed most anticipation. Hopefully this season is a marked improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

There was good stuff in the first season: I liked the relationship between Elrond and the Dwarves. I liked the black Elf and his relationship with the human woman and I liked the Dark Elf. And some bits here and there. I wasn't even too offended by the Not-Oirish accents.

BUT for every good thing there was bad.

Galadrial was an awful interpretation with an actor who had ZERO charisma or range… or even ability to move her mouth it seems.

Isuldur was unlikeable. I assume you are supposed to root for him and feel sad knowing his eventual fate but… I don't care.

"The Stranger's" reveal was predictable and his dramatic line "I AM NOT EVIL (Or bad, I cant remember or care)" Is not exactly on a par with his character's other classics (Trying to stay vague)

I liked (Bronwyn?) the mother but HATED her "kid"

Season 1 really came across as an intro to season 2. You could easily have condensed it into a 2 or 3 part opener for a 10 episode season.

Production values were very high (They'd want to be given the money spent) and I did REALLY like the Dwarves in this. A lot! but, as @Stephen_Maturin said, anticipation is just… not there. I don't hate it. I'll watch it but I think I'll have forgotten it again 2 weeks after it finishes

If they still keep Morfydd Clark front and center this season will die on its ar*e again. She was woejus and sucked any immersion outta any scene she was in. Dreadful miscasting.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to season 2 I enjoyed season 1 for all its faults. I agree though very little buzz about this compared to say HOTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A lot of people didnt watch it to the end so it would be surprising if ratings picked up, seeing the Harfoots in the trailer made me wince lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

nearly 3 and a half hours across first 3 episodes, so they’re giving us quantity at least…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

She was awful. I mean I kinda get where they were coming from… Maybe. Trying to make her capable but aloof. However there is a difference between being aloof and simply boring, unengaging and unlikeable. The other Elf… Arondir? He was standoffish with the humans but done right.

As I said, I loved their Dwarves and the relationship between Barney Stinson… I mean Elrond and Durin. Give me a Dwarves spinoff. I'd watch that.

Or let Peter Jackson reinsert all his extra footage from the movies, re-edit and make a miniseries.

I've seen Morfydd Clark in other things and she was good, and I understand she is an award winning stage actress.

I suspect maybe her fault might be adhering too well to direction that high born Elves should come across a certain way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭corkie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings%3A_The_Rings_of_Power_season_2

First episode was long and bit of a chore to get through. The distraction of attempting to destroy or dump the three rings. Was poor because we know they weren't. Good preview of what is to come this season. Don't know when I will watch the next two available episodes. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Another familiar face pops up... Ciaran Hinds. Oscar nominee for Belfast. Commanding presence in Rome, Game of Thrones.

Hamstrung with some dreadul lines, costuming and accent. What a waste.

Looks like Rory Kinnear will suffer similar fate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭geotrig

Didn't mind the 1st episode anyway still have about 20mins to watch though as needed to go to bed , I'm not going to get bogged down in rights or wrongs.Trailer looked ok for the season also so hopefully its on an upward curve, I didnt hate season 1 but some things did jar and annoy me to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭byrne249

I didn't like it and won't be watching it, didn't realise it was even back myself. People with whom I discussed it who disagreed with me at the time, now saying they don't remember the first season, it was very average, no interest in 2nd season. Lots of those people around.

What I am particularly interested in are the people who truly can't see that we've been singled our for the sort of ridicule that would have any nation with actual pride up in arms. I can't imagine the French or Spanish accepting such gross stereotyping. Said it before, say it again, you don't make a Planet of the Apes movie and put certain accents on the apes. It's exactly what they did here. Scum

It seems to have the same problem as season 1; good parts in each episode along with the bad.

They're perfectly OK pieces of television, whether they should be more than that is the question.

Hamstrung with some dreadul lines,

Looks like Rory Kinnear will suffer similar fate.

Nosense, how can you possibly go wrong with Hey doll, merry doll, ring-a-dong-a-dildo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I must say so far I thought season 1 was much better. I did not think episode 1 of season 2 was great at all. Its very dark and hard to see in part but the parts we can see look great. Why did your man drop the 3 rings?

Some of the fighting scenes were hard to msjd out too.

Maybe the next few episodes will be better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭corkie

Episode 2 was another chore to get through dragged out storylines but had some good beats in it.

I did get catch the the new name Sauron used in viewing but this below link confirms his new identity, as out of literature.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/29/arts/television/the-rings-of-power-season-2-episode-2-recap.html

Episode 3... one sentence summary:

my kingdom for a horse.

Got a deja vu in this episode to Amazon stablemate series Wheel of Time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I've watched the first two episodes of Season 2. Fell asleep midway through the first episode, rewatched it last night and discovered I hadn't missed an awful lot for the last 20mins.

Watched the second episode afterwards and felt sorry for Ciaran Hinds. There was more ham in that appearance than a Christmas dinner. Good God.

As others have said, it really is the mix of the good and awful which is such a pity because the production quality is through the roof.

Parts of the second episode felt like they were a ChapGPT script drawing on the Phantom Menace, Rome and the Hobbit.

I'm enjoying the new season. I've only watched the first two episodes but thought they were good and the writing seemed "tighter" than last season (for want of a better word).

The caveat to this is I thought season 1 started and finished very strongly but with a lot of filler in the middle so hopefully they've learned the lessons for this season.

a lot of filler in the middle 

They're burning through the story from the books pretty fast despite this though, I can't see how we aren't going to get a lot more of that if they are going to fill out five series…

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cirdan looks about 70.

The main point of Elves is that they don’t age. Has anyone involved in this show actually read Tolkien?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

they aren’t burning through a story from the books. Absolutely none of this is in the books.

It completely contradicts the books at times. The only thing it shares with the books at this point is character names. It’s an abomination

they/them/theirs

Its making Season 1 look excellent. I have zero idea why they spent so much on the rights only to flub on basically make it up as they went.

They’ve made so much up, it was as easy to create a new show with this storyline.

Orcs killing Sauron, Elrond wanting to destroy the rings, Old looking elves. What’s next?

Don’t get started on Venom Sauron.

Fine, move some bits around. But at its heart this is no longer Tolkien. It’s like some mix between the Witcher and the MCU

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭geotrig

while I said I've enjoyed it ,its not without its faults and the one that bugs me is the orc family with baby 🙄

It might have worked as an original (probably not as it so poor) but by promising something tied to LOTR only to then not deliver was just an expensive stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

This thread today is the first I heard of it. Season 1 completely passed me by. And I already have Amazon Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Watched first 3 episodes over the weekend, surprised they are so long.

Celebrimbor being played like a flute by Sauron is a bit daft.

The messaging system to Lindon needs an upgrade.

Orcs turning against Sauron in favour of Adar makes little sense too but the whole thing is makey uppey so roll with it.

Happy meteorite Gandalf buggered off in the twister with the Harfoots.

Should be getting some action soon once the elf troop reach Eregion.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Hard thread to find this, buried on page 5, maybe cause the title should be Rings of Power but I digress.

Episode 7 is the one we waited for, the whole 100 million is up there, it's Hardhome/Helms Deep/Battle of the Bastards good.

Only problem is will have to pay for that next week with Hardfoot & Blind Queen dirge but it was worth it for that one episode.

Definitely a great piece of television. The Celebrimbor actor was fantastic, and Charlie Vickers has been more than admirable as Sauron this season.

I saw some criticism of humanising the Orcs but I don't mind it. They're definitely building up to a point of no return for them and Addar, which Sauron will seize upon.

All in all so far it's exactly the same as Season 1, strong in parts, weak in others. A slow burn season is no problem as long as you're invested in everything, which unfortunately isn't the case.

There seemed to be a lack of co-ordination with the Elves… Elrond was still fighting and defending the wall but it seemed like Galadriel had made contact and everyone except a skeleton crew had fled? I suppose you could chalk it up to the chaos of war.

Also, Sauron's levels of power seems off the scale… to be able to mind control multiple Elves at the same time into suicide attacks like that. That is beyond anything I can recall from any of the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sauron is supposed to have literally awesome powers that grow as he gets stronger.

He is one of the Maiar but far more powerful than the wizards for example - that’s why they all fear him so much.

He is the source of all evil in Middle Earth and has the powers to match it.

• Advertisement

I know he is a Maiar and has 'raw' power, not veiled like the wizards but even then… I don't recall that level of power in the Silmarillion or book appendices. It does mention 'shape shifter' but doesn't detail out if that is a genuine change of shape or merely projecting that appearance. I suppose you could spin that into, he is deceiving someone else and they see an enemy and attack.

And he is not the source of all evil in Middle Earth, that was Morgoth.

"Sauron gathered under his government all the evil things of the days of Morgoth that remained on earth or beneath it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

He doesn't, sure he runs away from the Numenorians when they do decide to go after him. He is certainly powerful in that he was immortal and had unbelievable strength. He was originally Aules Maiar, Melkor only managed to get him to come to his side with the promise of order. I guess that's where he learned his skill in manipulation. Maybe they are going one step further with this manipulation to include physical manipulation.

You can surmise his power wasn't all too powerful either, as he never managed to get the Balrogs to follow him (also Maiar).

I am trying my hardest to like this and giving it the benefit of the doubt on the basis, they actually only have the rights to the Appendices of the Lord of the Rings. Thats the sum of about 40 pages. The amount they have to flesh out and fill in to make a story is unreal. They would have been better served at least getting permission to use the Second Age material from the Silmarillion or his letters. You can see how hamstrung they are as the story isnt too deep!

I find if you're trying to tie things together against the book, the enjoyment of it wanes. I'm trying not to think about the lore and just trying to enjoy it as a piece of television. To me it's good television for the most part.

I've a similar mentality towards AMC's Interview With The Vampire.

nope. He was put to sleep by Luthien singing and needed help control Beren.

Tolkien isn't Dungeons and Dragons. There are no power levels.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There are power levels for sure.
    For one thing, power levels are what the “rings of power” are all about?

Also, the Maiar have levels of power that far exceed an average hobbit,man, dwarf or elf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement