Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Max and Kimi in the same team would be a nice combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think Max and Charles in the same team would be great. Don't know if it will ever happen. They both like the same driving style as well so that woukd be a bonus.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Kmag has hit the 12 penalty points so that presumably means another chance for Ollie Bearman this season.

Good to see that the FIA actually followed through with this for once.

Ms

So who is the Haas Reserve driver? Next race at Baku in 2 weeks time I take.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ollie Bearman is the most likely, however should he decide to concentrate on F2 which will be attending Baku or Fred doesn't release him from Ferrari reserve then Pietro Fittipaldi is also available.

• Advertisement

Ted said on his notebook that while it needs to be made official, it will be Bearman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Update: McLaren reduced the gap to RedBull from 30 points to 8 points. But also, Ferrari reduced the gap to RedBull from 70 points to 45 points (37 points between Ferrari and McLaren). Very possible RedBull might end this year in 3rd place. 3 horse race for constructors.

Norris reduce gap to Verstappen from 70 points to 62 points. So thats 8 points he took off in each of the last 2 races.

Keep going like this and he will beat Verstappen to the title by 2 points I think.

8 races left, 3 sprints. If Norris wins every race, takes the bonus fastest lap point and wins every sprint, with max finishing 2nd in all the Norris will gain 67 points more than Max, so he'd win by 5.

So technically/Mathematically it's still entirely in Norris's hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,266 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I do think Max will have a Button 09 WDC this year still. I wonder if this is because of red bull focusing on next year/26 instead of this, or is it an impact of the shortened dev time rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Yup, he can win by slightly more points, I was just looking at him taking 8 points out of Verstappen each race till the end, like he did the last 2 races.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Mclaren need to be ruthless for the last 8 races and Norris too. If they want Lando to get the WDC that's what they need to do. They need to help him both on and off the Track. Make sure he is in the right frame of mind at every race and is keeping as fit as he can possibly be.

This is Mclaren and Landos WDC to lose now. If Max wins this year then Mclaren letting Piastri finish ahead of Lando yesterday and in Austria will have cost them and they only have themselves to blame.

Get Lando to win the Drivers Championship this year and then next year then can concentrate on Piastri.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well I'd agree except next year they start again and see who is the leader after half way and see if they need to support that leader.

He is a point. If Lando narrowly loses this, I can't see him ever supporting Piastri if the tables are turned next year.

Oscar winning WDC championship next year is better than Lando winning this year. Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I would probably agree they should be ruthless, on balance.

They're probably weighing the options. They have 2 very good drivers. Piastri has improved so much in the last 18 months they probably don't want to relegate him to no.2 status this early in his career. They're probably trying to do a real experiment on them to see which driver has the higher ceiling for the medium-term.

I totally understand prioritising the here-and-now, but I also respect them supporting both drivers to express themselves and reach their potential so they can decide which one they want for the long term. If they both turn out to be excellent drivers, they won't both stick around. So they probably want to keep the better of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭bren2001

This is Mclaren and Landos WDC to lose now.

62 points behind. Its hardly Landos to lose. Very much Max's title and would take an incredible string of results for Lando to take it. Max is still going to get podiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The absolute braying from the UK media yesterday and this morning is slightly maddening - bemoaning that McLaren messed up Lando, both in Hungary and yesterday by not switching the positions.

I'm a McLaren fan, but I'm sorry - no. Just no.

If Lando wants to win the championship, he needs to deserve it. He didn't deserve to win in Budapest (he only got ahead by being boxed first twice - something which is usually done for the lead driver on track), and he definitely didn't deserve to be in front yesterday.

The (mostly British) media made a big deal about how Oscar couldn't catch Lando to pass in Budapest, but no mention of Lando being told yesterday that he could fight Oscar - only for Lando to then be unable to keep up to Oscar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

So what will happen with the Red Bull car, is Newy still getting full access and input on the car even though he is leaving ?

Ms

Why?

Exactly. Me either

Lando needs to take the chance in front of him now and Really run with it. He needs to use all his experience and skills if he wants to catch Max and win this. He has not made it easy on himself either do. He had lots of 1st places that he could have converted into wins. If he had not messed up at the start of races but hopefully he has got that sorted now.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

By all accounts his main focus for the last few years was the suspension aspect of the car. Their issues seem to be aero now, plus they are really hindered by the lack of wind tunnel time, so the rules are properly working in that regard.

I think he is still kinda working for RB, but mainly on the new car they are making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'd forgotten about the aero rules. They're a slow burn but glad they're working.

Are they weighted more towards the drivers championship or construction championship positions? If Max wins the drivers and Red Bull wins the constructors, will it go on one or the other or both championships combined?

Edit: i looked it up and it goes on constructors position.

This Year mclaren gas a decent advantage on red bull

Red Bull: 840 hours

Mercedes: 900 hours

Ferrari: 960 hours

McLaren: 1020 hours

https://racingnews365.com/how-many-wind-tunnel-hours-do-f1-teams-have-in-2024#:~:text=Team%2C%20Red%20Bull%2C%20Mercedes%2C%20Ferrari%2C%20McLaren%2C%20Wind,per%20ATR%20Period%2C%20224%2C%20240%2C%20256%2C%20272%2C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The FIA released a statement saying that the Mclaren and Merc flexi wings are compliant with the regulations after RB and Ferrari questioned it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭shanec1928

how long till we see two new front wings on both teams

I'd assume RB and Ferrari will the flexi wings as soon as possibl and will probably bring Verstappen back to the front row

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Longing

Newey to Aston Martin. No surprise really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Hijpo

limited gains until they bin Lance and time a driver hitting their prime when Alonso retires.

Autosport have the story. Eddie Jordan has said all along that money isn't playing a factor in his decision, but I reckon the money that Stroll can invest in the facilities will help.

They just need a better driver now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Dan fallows back in neweys shadow

Ms

A pity he is not going to Williams has had Been speculated.

Still be interesting to see what he can do at Aston Martin.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Well they say now that he had limited input to the redbull car recently and that one man can only do so much nowadays with the size of the design teams so it will surely be interesting to see firstly what they can quickly put on the car for next season and secondly what they can do for 2026.

You have to imagine if he joins Aston in early 2025 he'll have no real input into next seasons car, it'll be full steam ahead for 2026.

True but I always wonder about these joining dates...… if the man is signed with Aston, surely he will be doing everything in his power to make changes from today whether that's ensuring the right people join him or whether it throwing technical knowhow at it even if officially on gardening leave or with redbull in some capacity until December.

Interesting to see where the driver line up goes as Alonso is 43 surely won't stick around for the 2026 season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭waynescales1

How has Alonso spent so much of his career in an uncompetitive car? Then to top it off, he falls into the same team as Newey, but too late in his career to take advantage. Cruel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭bren2001

Of course. Like anyone who has ever worked a notice period, you completely check out and do what is necessary. You start thinking about the next job and allocating your energy to that.

• Advertisement

Sky f1 confirming Newey to Aston, there's a video on YouTube below. He'll apparently be paid £20 million a year!

And Lance Stroll still won't win a race.

I wonder if this makes Aston Martin a contender for Max's services should Alonso decide to retire at the end of next year?

It's possible. They'll have Honda and Newey who he'll be very familiar with.

Didn't he sign a 2 year extension this year, which would take him into the 2026 season?

• Advertisement

Ms

Well it is confirmed.

Ollie Bearman is racing at the Azerbajan GP for Haas.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I'd love if he got a point or two and moved up the drivers championship.

I'd love it if poor Bottas was able to get off 22nd in a 20-man championship. It's not representative of his ability or performance (it's because the Sauber is rubbish)…

Ms

Maybe not but I think it's time for Bottas to retire. Let one of the few recent F2 championship winning drivers get a seat in F1 next year. Bottas could go rallying.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

BBC reporting Newey will be announced at Aston Martin on Tuesday, 30 million a year.

He's gotten a pay rise since last week when sky reported 20 million.

And Eddie Jordan kept saying he wasn't going to go anywhere for the money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭niallm77

Is the regulation change in 2026 very different to the current regulations. Reading about Newey and he seems to have nailed the car a few times on significant changes which could be the making of AM

Ya, there'll be a chunk of changes. Engines changing too. DRS will be gone, cars will have 2 aero setups that drivers can switch between based on speed or something. They'll still be ground effect though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭niallm77

Paid more than all but 3 drivers. Mad when you think about it. Stroll flinging money around.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1

• Advertisement
Advertisement