Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oasis Reunion. Its finally happening😱

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Damon Albarn is ostracised generally, other than from his own label. It's only through Parlophone he has any voice anymore, and they're the reason Blur and Gorillaz can still gig. He even speaks out against his own label, and openly refuses to write what he deems a "commercial hit". Parlophone just let him do what he wants now and will release whatever for him on a small scale, just to hold onto Gorillaz due to their past success, and because he's one of the few songwriters left.

But they find him difficult to deal with, and is not giving much back to them anymore, in the way of money or success, and he does it intentionally. Only for the fact he's one of the last high profile songwriters, any other artist would have been dropped long ago. They even tried to put him to work with Adele, forced him even for all the financial support with no return they give him, and he hardly even bothered. Won't let the likes of xfactor or Glee use his songs, which is an easy money maker for his label, and they couldn't even get that off him.

If Parlophone dropped him, he'd be out completely, no one else in the mainstream industry wants to deal with him, as he's difficult due to being against everything they do and stand for. As I said, Parlophone would of dropped any other artist long ago, only he's one of the last high profile songwriters left.

Why would anyone in the industry, or media outlet, give him much time with anything, if he's detrimental to them all financially? And actively does his best to speak out against them, and more worryingly for them, turn fellow musicians against them like Billie Eilish, where he would have influence and sway!

The name "Damon Albarn" in itself isn't a household name anymore, and none of the younger generation would have a clue. But Gorillaz and Blur are, and everyone inside the industry would know who he is. So within the industry itself, from their point of view, he does have a worryingly big influence.

Most songwriters would be big fans of him, see how upset Taylor Swift was when he criticised her, she made it public. She generally doesn't get into that sort of stuff publically, but did on this occassion as she was so upset, as she always looked up to him. And she's the biggest "act" in the world. So ye, the industry generally try to shut him out, publically, and if Parlophone dropped him, you'd hear nothing much about him again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not true .

Some big bands treat their fans with respect and refuse to engage with dynamic ticket pricing by the likes of LiveNation.

Like the Cure who famously threatened to cancel their US gigs on their sold out Lost World tour if fans were not refunded their money and tickets sold at the reasonable prices they themselves stipulated . stipulated

We paid 87 for standing tickets in 3Arena on this tour and they played a wonderful setlist for nearly 3 hours . Merchandise was reasonable too .

People have choices about how much they spend on artists and gigs and if you choose to pay the inflated prices like TS , Coldplay Oasis et al are asking , you are choosing to pay gougers and to increase prices exponentially for no reason except to fuel the greed of those asking for these prices.

This money does nothing to help the industry but soaks up any spare money that might be spent on those going to smaller up and coming bands who are keeping the smaller venues going . Without these smaller gigs those venues will and are closing (UK has seen many close their doors recently and directly attribute it to big stadium concerts )

I said earlier in the thread I saw Noel play an excellent 2.5 hour set in Kilmainham just a year ago for 50 odd euro presale .

People are just pure nuts paying prices like mentioned on this thread or have more money than sense

or than they need .

Justifying it by saying " once in a lifetime " or" the kids made me do it " is just an excuse .

They will play again if they are back together now , the greed factor will ensure that , and the kids don't have to have unreasonable sums spent on them to enjoy a day out .

Those same kids won't be happy when dynamic pricing has them priced out of the concert going market as is happening now . Because people just have to have those tickets ..at any price !

They will keep charging higher and higher prices if they think people will pay it .

It is an industry increasingly populated by greedy gougers who are more interested in their image and how big a venue they can fill than the music and those paying the high prices are some genuine fans squeezed by all of this .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

It's not that impressive. Many bands who are big, could do what Coldplay have done, but wouldn't sell out like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

But the prices aren't a secret.

When you get to the ticket selection page they're laid out in front of you. Nobody is pressing purchase on a ticket and finding out they've been charged more than they thought.

You get to the ticket selection page and see a list of tickets and prices as they are there and then. You find no tickets for €150 as they're all gone. You find there are "in-demand" tickets there for €300 and you add them to your basket. That's the price. You can then make an informed decision. Plenty of people on this thread saw that inflated price and walked away.

And anyway, if Ticketmaster advertised dynamic seats as "€200-€500 (subject to demand)", people would still be moaning.

I got a ticket at 8.42am on Saturday and it wasn't a dynamically priced ticket.

I'd like to see that information too but I'm only a ticket purchaser, I've no rights or entitlement to it from a private company. And just because I might feel screwed over, doesn't mean I suddenly have a right to see it. Concerts are not a public service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭waywill1966

A poster mentioned this earlier, here is the link!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Duffy98

Ahh in fairness neither your nor me are aware of how much tickets are for any gig until we get to selection screen, up until then its deliberatley hidden from you bar the starting price which you'll never see or their the worst seats in the place, MCD will announce another artists gig tomorrow, they'll state the from price but thats it, I go to the event info and all you'll see is price: EUR and blank…, its hidden from you intentionally.

Again, you fall into the hysteria of FOMO, I know people who paid 1.2k for two tickets who would think twice of paying 70 for a gig its mental, it needs to be clear how the demand is guaged is it from pure sales, traffic or just clicking on it because the latter you can artifically inflate.

Sure for AC/DC in wembley I got gold circle no bother it was 150-170 pounds, i go on 10 minutes later and they are unavailable and then log on later to find they're now 350 pounds, but if I decide i dont want to go I have to sell them for what I paid while ticketmaster can sell that same ticket for 200 more, its just sinister.

They are a private company but the tactics they use are disgraceful, I'm happy in a way I've seen pretty much all the acts I've wanted to see the last 7-8 years because it's just gotten to the stage where the greed is taking over unfortunatley, thats my take.

I'd also like a geo-blocker / grace period to prevent international fans from hoovering up tickets or creating the chaos seen on Saturday (I understand a VPN would get around that to some degree),could use a phone number to establish country of origin etc. I just think for acts that barely come here, it would be great to give us a chance instead of people who have seen them X amount of times, anyway thats my thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Duffy98

Yep, saw the cure went against dynamic pricing, unfortuantley they are the exception and not the rule, a lot of the acts primarily you'll see in the 3arena take on this platiunum dynamic pricing, I've been to tonnes of gigs you name it I've probably been at it, from the half full, barely full to sold out, my point in one of my other posts is that you never see it work the opposite way where a show is so poorly sold it actually goes down in price, you'll only ever see it go the other way.

Saw Noel back in Malahide and St Annes and Liam three times, great gigs can't fault it and they were reasonable and tickets were obtainable at the best of times, I think what people have a problem with now is thats gone out the window and the two have been radio silent especially Liam who's always online, they're gonna have to address this at some point,

I don't fault the bands for the merch costs, the 3arena / venue takes a cut of that so thats why it's so expensive, thats why bands now like Metallica, AC/DC, Rammstein etc. Rent out a space to sell all the merch, they keep the profits makes sense to me, cant fault them there at all more power to them.

You can blame social media for why people who know nothing about an artist go to a gig, get the instagram pics, say they were there etc, saw a lot of that at AC/DC actually, its peoples money they earned it they can do what they like with it.

Having gone to stadium shows, arenas etc, you'll never beat the small rooms I was lucky to see Muse in Berlin to 500 people when they were promoting their last album and zero dynamic pricing there, 80 euro and 500 people in a theatre, what more do you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Haven’t they said from the start, that they wanted to be rich and commercially successful?

Best way to get rich is making as much money off your fans as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Please ppl get behind the campaign to get Oasis to do a free concert at Knock Airport.

We need to get momentum going to get them to commit to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Do we assume no more Irish concerts or are they just planning it out behind the scenes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

I got mine for €127.25, albeit in the presale

Micheal Healy Rae was on Newstalk earlier defending Live Nation - when asked if they have a monopoly he said maybe it’s because they are doing such a good job…utter joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

no… you are right..

No Band has …………

🤷‍♂️

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭ooter

Surely it was used for Taylor Swift and Coldplay also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭squonk

Not too far away from the opinions of some on this forum too all said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'd say if there was, it would've been announced and already been added/tickets sold the same morning (similar to the Wembley extra dates)

someone should let @The Golden Miller know there is a whole entire genre of rock, over 50 years old called “Heavy Metal” - far louder and heavier than the 60s/70s influenced radio pop rock of Oasis -

so much so the big names of Heavy Metal would laugh at Oasis being described as “heavy”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭ledwithhedwith

Equslly, why wouldn’t you be entitled to it? If i wasn’t to buy a phone I can clearly see various price levels based on functionality or memory etc. Should be the same with an event. If various ticket categories are on sale there should be a price published for each category. For one it helps me plan my expenditure and allows me as a consumer to decide my maximum spend, my requirement and a fallback requirement if the ticket I want isn’t available. Going back to the phone example, if I have to go to a shop to find out the price it’s one thing but it might also not be clear where the extra value lies for my extra expenditure. The one thing about a phone however is they’re around for a year. Once I’ve visited a shop I can get a feel for the price list and have ample time to then make up my mind. In arms case, I have maybe 7 minutes on learning the price of the ticket in order to make up my mind. So up front publication is consumer friendly. It’s about being above board.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭xyz13

Bien faire et laisser dire...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Anyone know when the ability to resell tickets came available for Coldplay.

Just want to know if it's open currently for Oasis tickets so I can check occasionally over the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Christ, that’d be enough to make you consider putting your tickets up for resale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Resale was available a month or two before iirc

Wolfe tones as support would make sense - they are the Oasis of Irish rebel songs in terms of popularity.

Huge cross over of fans - often you will hear a guy at a party doing wonder wall then get out yiz Black and Tans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭ledwithhedwith

the dynamic pricing is funny , I got my standing tickets for 177 each but if I sold them for 350 quid I’d be considered a ballix. TM sold them for 415😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭crl84

The prices were stated ahead of time.
    They were stated when you got to the payment stage - that's ahead of time.
    There is no obligation to publish prices X hours in advance.
    You got to payment, you were given the price, you make a choice whether to purchase or not.
    So the CCPC is entirely correct that there's nothing for them to investigate.

It's exactly the same as Aer Lingus advertising their winter sale with "Flights to London from €9.99", and when you get onto the website, choose your flights, you see that your Saturday flights are €50 and the less desirable ones on Tuesday at 11am are €9.99…….

And UK prices came from SeeTickets/GigsAndTours from what I remember, nothing to do with any UK protection authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Except on aer lingus the price is visible immediately, not after a 2 hour queue when you then have a very limited time to make a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭TenPicnics

Ridiculous to compare it to flights, most of us never got to even see what tickets were available at what price, spending hours in queues, getting booted off for allegedly being a bot, finally getting to the almost-end of the tortuous process and then "something went wrong with the connection". That does NOT happen when booking flights, you see the various prices straight away when you pick a flight, its a matter of minutes, not hours/days.

Irrelevant. It's displayed prior to purchase, as the CCPC stated.

If the Aer Lingus site was facing enormous demand from people trying to book flights, it would be the exact same.

That has zero to do with what the CCPC said. Prices are displayed prior to purchase. This is a stone cold fact.

What you're whinging about is a technical issue of a website not being able to function due to the amount of traffic/demand it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Never realised there were so many 'gullibles' in our little country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,228 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The difference is airlines use dynamic pricing to fund cheap tickets. People who otherwise can't afford to fly now can thanks to Ryanair and dynamic pricing.

Starting at 125 and then going up is just gouging and I can't understand why some people are are so staunchly defending it. You are right though there is nothing to investigate but that doesn't make it ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

If people are gullible enough and so easily led by fake hype then ,hey, its their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I appreciate that it would be beneficial for consumers were TM to publish the prices prior to a consumer getting in an online queue for tickets etc, however the consumer is aware of the price they are paying for a ticket under the system used at the weekend - it's not "hidden" from the consumer. They are told what's left for their position in the queue and the price of it - it's up to the consumer to decide whether to pay it or not.

Now if someone told me prior to getting up at 7:00 on Satudarday that there were X tickets available for 86 euro, Y tickets available for 150 euro, Z tickets available for 400 euro then some additional price points for various VIP packages, would I have gotten up and joined the queue anyway - probably.

Also, publishing the prices prior to going on sale isn't going to change the fact that there were at most 163,000 tickets on sale for Croker and approx 500,000 or more tickets to meet demand.

You'd still have acres of people annoyed cos they didn't get tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Yvonne007

The OH's friend got 4 standing tickets for Sunday. Non-vip, no benefits, just the "In-Demand" standing tickets.

€1749 in total.

Sickening.

Worst thing is, I probably would have done the same if I had got there in time.

As a previous poster retweeted from Stan Collymore, it would have been the dopamine hit. I would have had serious buyers remorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 slideaway

https://youtu.be/Tptt50mCg3A?si=_aJc_g7p1-L_igby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭jj880

No. No. According to those on here as long you clearly display your price and say you are "selling at what you think is market value" its fine. No-one is forced to buy after all. Or maybe that only applies if you are Ticketmaster 😂

How you cannot see the issues here baffles me. Perhaps you don’t wish to.

Are Lingus aren’t going to have a huge surge of people arriving at there site, I’ll give you that however that could be mitigated by publishing of prices the day before for instance or a current pricing ticker for the benefit of those in the queue. Whatever way it’s done is a v lack of infrastructure and public service.

With Aer Lingus I see the price points relatively quickly and can decide at my leisure what price point suits me. I can also go back after purchase and skter my booking if I so wish. Let’s compare with TM where you are shoved onto a queue and given only a number. You’re there for hours as was the case Saturday. No further information is provided. Your number ticks down. Perhaps you’ll get kicked off, perhaps you don’t. Finally you’re presented with ticket prices far in excess of reasonable expectations. You’ve already invested hours in this process. It promotes panic buying but, just in case it isn’t enough, a timer starts amping up the pressure and your time window is closing. If you do purchase, god help you if you change your mind with a ‘generous’ 24 hour cooling off period with no great prices to get your money back in place.

Complaining about people whinging about the website is moot. Plenty of other organisations deal with high traffic. You don’t see Amazon making you queue to get in. Surges are the nature of TMs business and it’s not that they can’t cope, it’s that they don’t want to because queues promote pressure purchasing. Plenty of cloud based solutions exist to deal with surging. It’s no argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,228 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well I'm more concerned for the people who can't afford a dynamically priced ticket and don't press buy. You would hope the bands would also care but obviously not in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I am not defending the practice - I don't believe anyone is - what we are saying is if you don't like it - It's not a life or death requirement to go to a concert, you can decide not to engage, there has to be a bit of personal responsibilty attached to this.

If you hate it that much, boycott the artist altogether.

There are very obviously people with the means to pay and queue up for tickets priced at these levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭TenPicnics

It really isn't "whinging", and even when flights are in high demand you can see immediately what the price is.

Well you don't know that the €125 tickets aren't being subsidised by the small number of dynamic priced tickets, as we have no clue how much Oasis want for these gigs, or what MCDs costs are for putting the gigs on etc…..

Yes, it's not OK, but many things in our capitalist society aren't…..

Because there isn't 7 million people trying to access a website at one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

buy a phone I can clearly see various price levels 

A phone is not a finite commodity. Samsung/Apple/whoever will make as many phones as the market demands and so anyone can buy one at the advertised price.

On the other hand, a concert ticket is extremely finite. When demand massively outstrips supply, there’s no way to meet the demand.

Anyone who has ever bought a house has experienced dynamic pricing. Estate agent puts it up for 500k, house sells for 450 or 550. Book a flight to Edinburgh for a random Tuesday in January then book one for the Friday of the Six Nations weekend. A hotel in Portlaoise in January versus the Saturday night of Electric Picnic… these are far more relevant comparisons for concert tickets. Dynamic pricing is everywhere, it isn’t new, it’s basic free market economics. We’re just not used to it for concerts, that’s the only difference.

If people panic buy just because there’s a timer in the corner of the screen, then that’s on them. Anyone I know who got the option for 400 euro tickets declined it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement