Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oasis Reunion. Its finally happening😱

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

You paint ticket buyers as victims who don't have the mental capacity or nous to walk away from tickets. If you're an adult who doesn't have the capacity to rationalise something and make a judgement call on a price, you shouldn't be in charge of the credit card.

There are plenty of people here who got to the inflated ticket prices and saw them and said 'not for me' and walked away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭squonk

So any supplier selling a finite quantity and manipulating buyers in the process svd finally using high pressure tactics to push someone into an inflated price purchase is grave, it’s the buyers fault? Right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,228 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The only time I ever spent over 100 for a ticket was Springsteen last year because I was desperate to see him just once. It wasn't dynamic pricing either. So I suppose in a way I am boycotting the big gigs.

It's just full of the well heeled just there to be seen and buying into the hype instead of proper fans when you start sht like this.

There are always people with the "means and willing to pay" but that's a bit too Dickensian for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

how long were you queuing before you secured tickets at those prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I saw a UK based Oasis fan saying they wouldn't dream of going near the concerts. They expect it to be little more than a glorified karaoke evening where the stadium sings along to Wonderwall and Don't Look Back In Anger etc and you can't even hear the band play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 nippy12

Vip route is different. You have get extras. The in demand is the exact same standing ticket that was available in the pre sale and start of general release but jumped part of the way through to a higher price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Nobody HAS to buy anything.

If the buyer is in a position where they feel they HAVE to buy something at the price stated despite that price being a multiple of hundreds of Euro then that really is on the buyer……….

There's no doubt that there a shed load of marketing tactics being deployed to maximise the income for the artist and all involved, but marketers try to manipulate us all the time. Just say no.

Plenty people said no to 415 euro standing tickets……it's a personal choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭jj880

But according to some here this explains dynamic pricing clearly:

Other supporting arguments include:

• no-one made them buy
    • theyre just a sap for not knowing others were getting the same tickets cheaper

This dynamic pricing for concert tickets really is a gross practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

There IS a potential compromise. I mean the "On Demand" prices is legalised touting. I think everyone can agree with that. And there is nobody putting a gun to anyone's head to buy tickets. Again, I think everyone can agree to that.

However, wording in the queue or popup can be updated dynamically. There should be an alert saying something like "All standard tickets for Standing, Seating etc are now sold out. On Demand, dynamic pricing tickets available. These prices can fluctuate due to demand. Click [HERE] to leave queue and return to ticketmaster.whatever"

That way people who do NOT want to pay On Demand prices can leave the queue, reducing the queue and let them get back to whatever else they wanted to do on Ticketmaster. They don't even need to say how much they are going to be but everyone will know they are going to be MUCH higher. If someone decides to stay on the queue anyway and not purchase at the end then sobeit. But people could see this and go "Ah sh*te. Nah. I'm outahere. They are gonna be above what I want to pay by the time I get there"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I bought 2 tickets to Bangkok in January with Etihad. €790 each. When I got to the payment screen that is what it was.

Dynamic pricing = dishonest.

Ide say some people here quietly love dynamic pricing because it keeps the tickets out of the hands of the plebs. More tickets to go round for the rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It’s a sure sign of a weak argument and a poor debater when you have to invent strawman arguments against a point I didn’t make.

nobody “manipulated” anyone. What are the “high pressure tactics”? It’s a fncking website like, it’s not like Ticketmaster are hounding you to buy. Buy it, don’t buy it, there’s no as shortage of people who will. What would you propose, give people as much time as they want to mull it over while half a million others are in the queue?

“Inflated” price is a matter of perspective. Different things are worth different prices to different people.

I’m not happy with this development btw, I would rather the old model of fixed amount at fixed prices but some of the reaction is beyond hysterical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

That was me. Full on excited all week and put 1000 into revolut in order to buy 4 tickets. That was my limit and the entirety of my rainy day fund. I’d be getting the money back for 2 of the tickets. Those people were doing the same.

Got into the buy tickets section about 3/4pm. I can’t even remember the location. There were plenty of tickets available still but at ludacris prices. I couldn’t justify spending my entire rainy day fund on just 2 tickets. I’ve a feeling there were many people who were in the exact same position as me and the tickets sold to those who haven’t got to worry about money.

I’m not bothering trying again if more dates are released. Liam & Noel deserve the online backlash that they’re getting.

Again, when a person got out of the queue they were presented with the options available and prices associated with each. Just like you did for your flight. There may or may not have been a few different options - the options were clearly priced. If they selected an option the next scree (the payment screen) contained the price of the option they selected. Nothing different to your flights.

Not a fan of dynamic pricing (I doubt any consumer is unless it might work in their favour? - does it ever?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭GreenPanda99

I dont know. I cant see how you can price control entertainment tickets. Its not like they are essential to keeping you alive. And price controls have totally destroyed other things, like the rental market.

If I had room for 50 people to watch me sing and 100 people wanted to watch me, id let in the people who paid me the most money and wouldnt care where the other 50 went.

Now the most money offered to see me sing would probably be negative.

• Advertisement

It's not legalised touting. Ticketmaster have not bought those tickets and resold them at a higher price. They are just being sold from the point of purchase at a higher price. Whilst Ticketmaster will get more money by virtue of the ticket being sold at a higher price, so will the artist. Touting is where I buy a ticket and resell it. But if they don't sell those tickets, nobody gets paid.

I don't see an issue with your suggestion but I don't think that it will accomplish a huge amount in the grander scheme. People will still stay in the queue 'just in case' or to see what exactly the dynamic pricing is (because if its €40 more they might be fine with it vs €400 more). But you're right, TM usually post pop-up updates throughout the queue about availability so yeah, they could easily add that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

There is absolutely no justification to rip fans off, person a paid 86.50 and are stood right beside person b who paid 415.50. its just pure greed, all the tickets were in demand so all should have been subject to in demand pricing…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,509 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Dynamic pricing essentially means that prices increase as time elapses.

"You don't have to buy anything, it's a choice" is an argument that misses the point.

If your local supermarket charged more for groceries as the day went on you'd be rightly annoyed by it.

Demand wasn't exactly unexpected for Oasis tickets, so for prices to increase for being "in demand" is a nonsense position.

At what point does "in demand" become the standard? When 50% of tickets are sold? All tickets were going to be sold anyway, a good number of customers were penalised for falling foul of the randomised nature of online queueing.

It's the wild west out there with ticket sales currently, monopolies should never be tolerated in any sector, there's a reasonable argument to be made about this issue that goes beyond peoples noses being out of joint.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Dublin tickets were gotten via presale on Friday night

London gig were purchased around 10:50 on Saturday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Anyone watch Justin Hawkins (the Darkness) youtube, I find him interesting and entertaining….anyway, he said that what this says to him is that Oasis opting in to the Dynamic pricing indicates that there is no plan to tour regularly afterword or to make more music as the DP would not especially ingratiate the fanbase to come along for the ride and it's basically a money grab to get as much as possible for this one off exercise.

That brings me on to another point. If it is as such and the two boys still aren't best buddies, then these gigs will be them just going through the motions and will not only be not great but certainly not 500 bob a ticket great.

Anyone, who saw Oasis back in the day knows that there were lots of times the boys just phoned it in. I saw them in Slane in 2009 just before the implosion and they could have easily just put on a CD…now that day was also soured by missing all of Kasabian queuing for pints and the bus fiasco to get out of it…and the p!ss.

The long and the short of it is Knebworth or Maine Road, these gigs will not be.

Here's me justifying not going…but if I get offered one of the regular ~200 quid tickets I might…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

The most popular musicians charge more for their concerts. This should come as no surprise because like the rest of use they are human and driven by money. There is nothing to justify because it doesn’t need justifying.

I can’t claim to understand why a multimillionaire with enough to money to last well after he’s gone wants another million but that is their right if they wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭swededmonkey

I had flagged ticketmaster’s behaviour after ACDC tickets went on sale this year with 5 local td’s. I got two separate responses from Simon Coveney’s office basically saying, we know it happens, they have the autonomy to apply dynamic pricing to a handful of concerts per year and there’s f**k all you can do about it. Miceal Martin calling for a review is paying lip service and nothing more.

I've booked flights where people around me have paid more or less than I have. And stayed in a hotel where people have paid more or less than I have.

What's the difference here?

Is it pure greed from Oasis (or in my example, Ryanair or a hotel chain)? Sure. But greed isn't illegal.

Ultimately, if someone doesn't like the price, don't pay it. The calls for government intervention (not from you) because a mature adult is unable to make a financial decision on a concert ticket is bewildering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Supply and demand is not the issue here.

The total amount of tickets was known in advance. And the demand was known in advance. So this dynamic model is just a Gallagher money grab.

They had the power to allow dynamic pricing or not.

It's not like peak date Hotels and Uber. People using this analogy are idiots.

The Gallaghers are probably laughing and sneering at the fallout and controversy like they always have done. Rubbing their two fingers together. They don't give a crap, Have never given a crap. The money is probably divvied out already amongst them.

Post edited by 10000maniacs on

You don't have to buy a ticket - it is a choice - is a simple fact.

I don't see what other point there is on this particular issue - same with your shop.

A few million people bought tickets for these gigs (UK and Ireland) - and there were probably 2 or 3 times that in queues to buy tickets for these gigs. Lets say you didn't have dynamic pricing - at what point do you think that market of 5 million or so people would have decided "Enough is enough"

I consider any abusive pricing such as this "Touting" but that's neither here nor there and that's all I'll say about that.

Yeah, you will get people (certainly initially) hanging in there "just in case". It's human nature. But not everyone will. And certainly, if this is allowed to continue, more and more people will stop hanging in there. Certainly after a period of time.

Sure, if you were at 100 in the queue and this popped up, you'd likely stay "Just to have a look" and hope. But if you were 200K in the queue and it took you 2 hours to get from 300K to 200K, are you likely to stay in line for another couple of hours when it pops up saying "All initial tickets sold out. On Demand pricing in effect"? For some, yes. For people with a more casual interest? Probably not. Imagine how fast the queue would drop if everyone who backed out after 4 hours knew they were probably going to be charged 2-3 times initial price and would back out anyway. People who are willing to pay the On Demand price can stay on the (Now shorter) queue. The tickets will sell out. The On Demand tickets will sell out. People will still pay what they are willing to pay. People unable or unwilling to pay the higher cost won't and will feel let down/angry/disappointed.

People SHOULD be given the opportunity to exit the queue and go back to try another queue or simply do something else on Ticketmaster.

Edit: Typo

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

Yeah, this would be preferable to wasting hours in a queue alright - messages advising what price points remained etc - had I known earlier that the lowest priced tickets still left while I was 10K in the queue were now 415 euro each, I would have exited there.

I'd think though that their back end infrastructure would need to be scaled appropriately to handle that type of thing - it could barely handly what was significant demand on it over the weekend in fairess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭fits

if I was offered tickets for 176 euro now I wouldn’t take them. They aren’t worth it. 127 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Annani

This thread is so depressing. Those of you defending this need to give your head a wobble.

There is zero justification for charging more on Saturday morning for standing tickets than what was paid on the presale on Friday night. Zero.

Yeah I think that's a fair approach. Ticketmaster currently pop up messages when tickets are limited or there are only VIP tickets left (like they did for Taylor Swift) so there's no reason why they can't have one saying that "only in-demand pricing tickets" remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Avon8

There's a bit of misconception that this was 'surge' pricing similar to say Uber, or that the prices went up once demand was high

There was a set amount of tickets and the vast majority went on sale at regular prices. There's a small portion set aside as "platinum" ticket options, which usually includes some sort of crap like merchandise or a pre-party. Same for Coldplay, Taylor Swift etc. In this case LiveNation were just being lazy and added an option with no additional crap, which is what's getting people's backs up. They still make up a small percentage of overall tickets

There was a presale the night before where these were available alongside the regular tickets, and obviously people only bought the regular prices ones. Same the following morning when there was 700k in the queue, the first in bought all the regular tickets immediately. So then when the vast majority of people got in, there was only this segment of tickets left, which most obviously baulked at buying

Not defending the practice but it wasn't something decided on the fly. Fairly sure it's not the band deciding it either, they're given a set percentage of revenue from the promoter (and were clearly happy to milk it), and the promoter monitizes as it best sees fit. In this instance the promoter (MCD) and the ticket supplier are one and the same, LiveNation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭watchclocker

There was platinum standing tickets available separately and these were available from the start but were actually cheaper than the final standing price

What showed up later was 'in demand standing ticket' for 415

In this case LiveNation were just being lazy and added an option with no additional crap, which is what's getting people's backs up.

This isn't accurate. VIP/Premium tickets are not the same as Platinum tickets and never have been.

VIP/Premium tickets always include perks and extras and are the same price to the first person in the queue as the last person.

Platinum tickets never include perks and have a variable price.

They are set and sold entirely differently.

Say for simplicity, there were 80,000 tickets available.

20,000 are standing and 60,000 are seating

Would you have rather the following?

Tickets prices announced as follows:

Standing:

0 - 3,000 - €100

3,001 - 10,000 - €176

10,001 - 20,000 - €415

Seating:

0 - 18,000 - €150

10,001 - 30,000 - €250

30,001 - 60,000 - €500

It's not much different to what happened. You would have still queued, and only when you got in, would you have known what number you were, and had to pay the price regardless

I think what people want is for a standing ticket to cost the same for everyone.

You know the way concerts were done since the dawn of concerts.

Yes we know "it's their right" and "I don't have to buy" that doesn't mean I dont get to call Oasis greedy €unts for allowing it. They are helping ruin the industry that created them as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Question:

Were tickets for the gig advertised at a certain price, and then when customers arrived at the point of purchase/ payment, they were asked for a higher price than advertised?

If this is, indeed, the case, then we can expect to see the Advertising Watchdogs in both the UK and Ireland push for a change in legislation to address the issue. I imagine this will be the last year we see the practice and I'm sure Live Nation will kick and scream about it, with their usual overly-convoluted commercial-heavy prose attempting to justify it's " fairness".

When you begin to see government ministers on both sides of the pond making this a political issue, it will be a case of " who blinks first".

They don't even need that. Just have an embedded Twitter/X window (Which I believe they have elsewhere. Certainly SOME suppliers do). There you go on Twitter: "All initial tickets now sold out. Dynamic Pricing in effect". One looks at their depressing position and says to themselves "Ah, b0llox to this. They'll be 500 quid by the time I get there. Life is short. Time for a cuppa. Slàn"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Tickets were priced "From" 86.50 standing

Then a little while into said sale tickets for standing changed to "In Demand - Standing" for 415.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,044 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

They could easily have announced tiered pricing before hand, and not used surge prices.

Break the pitch into three sections.

Gold Circle/Pit/Closest to stage - €200

Behind that - €150

Behind that - €100

Do similar for seated sections.

At least everyone in a particular section all pay the same for general sale, unless you decide to buy it aftermarket.

Still will be millions in profit for every gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,774 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think the only real solution to this, whereby customers are upset at the long queue only to not get tickets at the 'advertised' pricing and the company (Ticketmaster and Oasis want to and should be allowed to maximise their revenue) is to have a pre-biding.

Rather than set a price, Ticketmaster gives a range. And each account (customer) selects the highest price they are prepared to pay.

<100, <200, <500, 1000 etc.

If enough people select 1000 per ticket, all tickets are offered at that price range. Unfortunately, those only wanting to pay 100 are priced out, but at least they know that and don't waste their time queueing.

What is being done now is to lure the customer is with the hope of a 150 ticket, then after waiting 5/6 hours, faced with a 500 ticket or no ticket at all Ticketmaster know that a sizeable amount of people will opt to buy the ticket. People can point out that people should have spending control etc, but this system is designed specifically to override that control on the basis of sunk cost and FOMO.

Make it so that the emotion of taken out of it and those that can/want to pay do and those that can't don't. Yes, its crap that people are priced out, but people are priced out of lots of things and that is just life, and capitalism.

Ok, so we are at the nub of it now.

Say they announce standing tickets at 250 bucks - seated at 300 - do you think it would have changed to outcome of hundred of thousands of people being dissappointed?

I have no issues with charging a set price for ticket categories has has been the case for decades - but for these "high demand" gigs and particularily for the given set of variables for this one you'd probably end up with tickets at those prices and hundreds of thousands still being dissappointed.

Ticket prices were as advertised as they were 'from €86.50' (or thereabouts). And tickets were indeed 'from €86.50'.

When you got to the ticket selection screen, the ticket price for every ticket was displayed. Once you added it to your basket (assuming there was stock), that was the price you paid.

The CCPC have already said there was nothing illegal about it and they've ruled out an enquiry as everything was above board.

I'm not justifying the prices but people are clutching at straws trying to find some illegality about the whole thing.

In that case I would say "250e for a gig. Man Oasis are greedy €unts who don't care about fans".

You seem to keep saying that high demand gigs are going to be way more expensive as if it's some natural law of nature. It's it's not it's a decision made by gougers.

I get ya.

Using my simple numbers above, all standing tickets would have been set at €285, and all seating would have had to be €345

The problem for the bands then is the psychological effect. Lots of people would have said no, based on the transparent price, and perhaps the gig doesnt sell out.

The way it's done, maximises the chance to seel out a concert for a band.

The only way it changes, is if gigs don't sell out.

And as we can all see from AC/DC, Oasis and Taylor Swift, the current approach works for them

They obviously don't have to be more expensive that other non high demand gigs - the decision is ultimately with the artist and their representatives. Various people have various choices to make at various points in the whole interaction from the artists, promotors, ticket selling platform, venue and ultimately the person looking to buy a ticket.

Again for the "major" summer gigs the past two years here, we've seen people willing to pay what I would call extortionate amounts of money for tickets. Until people decide against doing that it's hard to see the "bigger" acts and all involved in the process going back to more standard/cheaper pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Tickets have never costed the same for everyone as for sold out gigs some will have paid a lot to touts.

Sometimes the touts lost though and you could pick up tickets for less than face value. The point is there has always been market pricing for events. The only difference here is that it's the organisers that create the market and take the profits.

And Oasis show is as cheap as they come to put on. They dont do flashy staging and croke park will likely only have a standard concert stage. The costs really are just hire of the hall, security and minimal staging. The minimum break even cost would be something like €50 per person. Everything above that goes to pay the promoter and the acts.

Flat pricing means that effectively the promoter and the acts are leaving money on the table for touts to take. Dynamic pricing means that the organisers see the profits for their endeavours rather than a third party opportunist.

Understanding the logic of the pricing and why it is done is different from endorsing it. Of course I'd like to see tickets at a flat price, it means that I might be able to get a ticket to an event for a price far below what id be willing to pay for it. The question is, why should acts be so generous. Why should they effectively give me free money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

At last a poster with a bit of sense, this is pure manipulation and in fairness if people are gullible enough to be drawn into the hype of 'must see' fcukkery, and buy into the manipulation, well its on themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭GreenPanda99

Id love to know what the total ticket haul was in the end :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

My bloody valentine aren't metal but would shake a stadium 😀my clothes started flapping like I was in front of a jet engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Advertisement
Advertisement