Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Initium Novum

• 15-08-2024 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hey! Some of you might remember me, I use to log my training here a few years ago. But for anyone who doesn't know me my old training log was called Positive Vibes. Negative Splits.

My last race was in August 2020 which was a 3000m on the track in a time of 9:59, and before that in July 2020 another track race 5000m in a time of 16:51. My last proper road race was Raheny 5 mile in January 2020 in a time of 28:35. I did a local 5k the following week but if I remember correctly I was really beat up because I was in the middle of home improvements and the Raheny 5mile race the pervious weekend.

So what's happened in the last few years? Injury after injury then when things were finally coming together I was in a serious car crash in December 2022. I was just unfortunate to be parked where I was when the other vehicle came off the road and crashed to me, but in other ways I was very fortunate as a few seconds earlier I probably wouldn't be writing this log today. The past 18 months or so I've been dealing with the fallout of that crash which is still causing a few issues on and off.

I've called this log initium novum, new beginnings. Yes it's a bit of a pretentious log name but it does feel like a new beginning in my life. I'm now a father since my last log and I've recently started a new job which is more family and training friendly. The past few months my running has been pretty decent too base building and trying to get fit again. Nothing spectacular, low mileage and easy runs. My easy runs are a lot more easy than they were a few years ago. Where I would run them at 4:45/km or 7:40/mi in the past it's more like 5:15/km or 8:25/mi. Lately I've been doing some 'faster' runs too with a weekly session. I'm just using my Garmin daily workout recommendations. So it feels quite conservative in the approach, this is what i need right now. I set a 5km race or time trial for the start of November and a 10km at the end of November so Garmin is following that target. I'd say that I would break 20 minutes 5km at the moment but not much more. So I'm not totally unfit. I've a load of weight to loose too! I hope to get back racing in February 2025 with a local 5km which will be 5 years since my last road race. This local 5km was actually my last road race back in 2020. I'll see what happens after that. But I'm hoping for a good 2025 and lay the foundations for the following year. My long-term goal is making my marathon debut and breaking 3 hours in it. I'll be targeting a spring 2026 marathon so likely Manchester.

I see that there aren't many active logs here any more, with a few more semi active logs. Because its quite here now I'll probably be talking to myself as I don't expect much interaction but positive and critical comments are always welcomed just like my last log.

Seán

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Welcome back. Glad to hear you're on the mend and hopefully it's the start of a very productive period for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Best of luck on your return. Hope you have a clear run at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭healy1835

Great to hear from you Sean. I've often thought of how you've been going over the last couple of years. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since we were chatting in that pen at Raheny, way further back then we really needed to be!

Looking forward to seeing how the training goes. My log has been on and off over the last couple of years in tune with my running, but I've timed my return nicely it seems. Your marathon debut is long overdue :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭MY BAD

That feels like ages ago now! Hopefully I'll get to race with you again sometime soon.

Monday 12th August

Easy 30 minutes @5:10/km or 8:19/mi

Mainly loops of the new track around the GAA pitch.

Tuesday 13th August

25 minutes tempo

I did this on a 1km loop in the forest that is now part of our new parkrun route. I ran it a little bit faster than prescribed but not much. My go to session shoe of choice at the moment is the Saucony Endorphin Speed 1 mutant colour way! Anyone remember them from back in 2020? It shows the lack of quality runs I've done in the past four years.

10 minutes warm up plus drills and strides

Km Splits

4:11,4:07, 4:08, 4:07, 4:09, 4:09

10 minutes cool down

Wednesday 14th August

Rest day

Thursday 15th August

Just over 30 minutes easy @5:10/km or 8:19/mi. 33 minutes is what was prescribed. Its a bit of a random time, but that's what it seems to do every so often.

Friday 16th August

7x1 minute with a big 3 minutes active recovery. The first one was almost spot on in terms of pace but on the 2nd one my watch kept telling I was going too slow so I'd speed up more and more, it did feel too hot. In the end I totally over cooked the 2nd repeat so I just ignored my watch an ran by feel for the rest of them as my watch kept saying too slow. On the 7th one I was feeling fresh enough probably because of the long recoveries I deliberately when faster.

15 minutes warm up with drills and strides.

7x1 minute average paces

@3:37/km or 5:49/mi

@3:20/km or 5:22/mi

@3:33/km or 5:43/mi

@3:33/km or 5:43/mi

@3:34/km or 5:44/mi

@3:37/km or 5:49/mi

@3:23/km or 5:27/mi

Recoveries were at around 5:45/km or 9:15/mi

10 minutes cool down

Saturday 17th August

Rest day. But bumped into some club mates who think I should aim for Valencia so we can train as a group again in 2025 they hateed Manchester...

Sunday 18th August

40 minutes easy @ 5:16/km or 8:29/mi

No long run this week I suppose it's because I had two sessions. Good week just over 40km or 25 miles 3k more than last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 Navigator213

Good to see you back! We miss you down at the track

• Advertisement

Monday 19th August

8x2 minutes @3:50/km or 6:10/mi with 1 minute jog recovery

Drizzly humid evening in the forest loop. Definitely working harder in the second half of the session. The Saucony Endorphin Speed aren't great in the wet even though it's a mix trail surface. Conservative enough on the first repeat then close enough to the prescribed pace after that. It's going to take time get the pacing right but a good effort today even though I was speeding up and slowing down over the repeats.

10 minutes warm up plus drills and strides.

8x2' average paces per repeat

3:55/km or 6:18/mi

3:47/km or 6:05/mi

3:49/km or 6:09/mi

3:50/km or 6:10/mi

3:51/km or 6:12/mi

10 minutes cool down

Tuesday 20th August

Easy 30 minutes @5:23/km or 8:40/mi

Legs were a bit heavy after yesterday's session so I worn my New Balance Supercomp Trainer. I find them good for recovery. Average heart rate was 124bpm so my fitness seems to be improving.

Wednesday 21st August

8x10 seconds sprint with 3 minutes off rest.

This is something Garmins daily workouts throws in the mix every so often. The first few times I did them I'd be beat up for a good few days after. I'm still quite undecided about them as it's something alien to me. I would have trained along side sprinters in the past on the track but it's not something I'd ever do. This is the first time having sprints the day before a session. I wonder is the idea have you doing your session on tired legs? Usual they would be a the second session in the week.

I didn't get home until nearly 9pm so I was late enough going out, I was in two minds to just have a rest day as the wind was picking up with the tail-end of this hurricane coming it. In the end I went down to the forest for shelter but it was getting dark. I just wore Nike Infinity RN4. The average paces don't really work on such a short distance but it went from 2:45/km on the first down to 2:29/km on the last one. Very slow walk back then standing around for the 3 minutes in a dark forest hearing the trees creeking and all the other noises is a little unsettling! I met one one man out for a walk on one of my last recoveries when it was almost totally dark. He must have thought I was mental.

15 minutes warm up followed by a few drills

8x10 seconds sprint

10 minutes cool down

Thursday 21st August

2x15 minutes @ 4:10/km or 6:42/mi with 5 minutes jog recovery.

I knew I had ran sprints the previous day as my legs were heavy enough. Heavy drizzly rain but no wind for the session on the 1km loop in the forest. Plenty of puddles and muck to take the new look of those 4 year old Saucony Endorphin Speeds! The first 15 minutes went quite good, it took a 1km or so to loosen up the legs. I've a tenancy to slightly overcook sessions so I was trying my best to keep the pace at 4:10/km without overly relying on my watch. Overall I was quite happy how I preformed on the first 15 minutes, on the second 15 minutes I was definitely working much harder. Looking back at my watch after the session I see I did go a little faster but not much. Overall happy with the session. These are the type of sessions I need to be focusing on to get fit but I'm happy enough to let Garmin guide me until I lay down a decent foundation.

10 minutes warm up followed by drills and strides

2x 15 min6 average paces

4:09/km or 6:41/mi

4:07/km or 6:38/mi

10 minutes cool down

Friday 22nd August

Rest day

Saturday 23rd August

60 minutes easy @ 5:12/km or 8:22/mi

I got a pair Mizuno Neo Vista recently. I'm not sure what this shoe is actually designed for but I find it nice for longer runs if your legs are tired. I got soaked again on this run.

Sunday 24th August

Rest day

Overall great week running I really enjoyed it. I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I'm thinking a lot about marathon training next year and looking forward to the grind. I'm thinking now Frankfurt with Ratoath half in September for next year's targets. I'd don't know is a sub 3 hour marathon is overly ambitious in a years time given my current shape but that's what I'm thinking.

44.77km or 27.8 miles this week.

Monday 26th August

Easy 30 minutes @5:13/km or 8:24/mi

Loops of the track around the GAA pitch.

Tuesday 27th August

23 Minutes Tempo

10 minutes warm plus drills and strides

23 minutes Tempo @ 4:14/km or 6:48/mi

10 minutes cool down

Forest 1km trail loop for the session perfect weather conditions so busy enough with dog walkers etc. I was quite comfortable throughout the session. Would I be able to hold that pace for a marathon in just over a year...?

Wednesday 28th August

Rest day

Thursday 29th August

Easy 35 minutes @ 5:14/km or 5:26/mi

Loops of a different GAA pitch than Monday

Friday 30th August

5x1 minute with 3 minutes easy recovery

15 minutes warm up plus drills and strides

5x 1 minutes average pace 3:33/km or 5:43/mi

10 minutes cool down

Light enough of a session overall. Still struggling to keep the pace constant over reps on the shorter sessions. Perfect conditions.

Saturday 31st August

Easy 40 minutes @5:09/km or 8:17mi

Flat enough route but warm.

Sunday 1st September

Easy 40 minutes @ 5:23/km or 8:40/mi

Another flat enough route deliberately keeping pace back.

Still no long runs but 6 days running building nicely. I deliberately stayed on flatter routes all week. 45.4km or 28.2 miles so similar distance to last week but overall effort was dialled back a small bit to see how the body would react to six days running.

Sean with your background and a full year's training with no speedbumps behind you ;) Sub 3 is not a goal to shy away from at all. What I might suggest though, with this being your debut, is to maybe think about Dublin instead of Frankfurt. I know I'm probably influenced by the varying degrees of disaster that have been my overseas marathons (Berlin, Rotterdam, Manchester 😭), but the buzz of Dublin is hard to beat, and it takes a lot of variables off the board for your debut marathon, allowing to focus more on the race. Just my two cents.

It's the speed bumps I'm worried about! I'd like to do Dublin as my first but it's so hard to get an entry, or at least it was a few years ago. The lads in my club have done Frankfurt a few times and like it, I think thats what they'll be targeting next year. Better course but the atmosphere isn't as good as Dublin is what they say.

Monday 2nd September

32 minutes Tempo

32 minutes @ 4:13/km or 6:47/mi

10 minutes cool down

I was feeling fresh before this one had to check the warm up pace a couple of times to cool the jets. Perfect conditions on the 1km forest loop. Very controlled, never working too hard but id consider that quite a big workout for me at the moment. I'm enjoying straight tempo sessions but if i was doinga plan for myself I'd probably cap them at around 24 minutes followed by some 20-30 seconds on/off for turnover. I'm feeling a lot stronger. Even on the cool down I felt great.

Tuesday 3rd September

Rest day.

Feeling good but around half way through the day I started getting a niggle in my left knee. I was on my knees for a job so maybe it's related to that or it could be yesterday's big session. I'd be quite weary of knee issues.

Wednesday 4th September

60 minutes easy @ 5:20/km or 8:35/mi

Just not feeling it for this one. Legs were fine but no energy. My knee was niggling a little during the day but fine after the run.

Thursday 5th September

7x1 minute with 3 minutes recovery

Just like Mondays session it was the same as the previous week just longer. Ideal conditions. Didn't get out until nearly 8pm so it was getting dark finishing up. Really cool sunset. I wore an old pair of Nike tempo, I haven't worn them in ages. Great shoe but takes a bit to get used to the ride and noise. It kinda felt like I went over slightly on my right ankle during the session. I noticed it a bit on my cool down.

15 minutes warm up

7x1 minute average pace @3:33/km or 5:43/mi

10 minutes cool down

Friday 6th September

30 minutes easy 5:26/km or 8:45/mi

That right ankle was bothering me quite a bit so I slowed right down. I probably should have stopped after a mile.

Saturday 7th September

Rest

Sunday 8th September

Rest

I took the weekend off except for a short mountain walk on Sunday. I decided to take yesterday the 9th of September as a rest day too. I hope to do 30 minutes easy this evening and resume business as normal all going well. But if not I'll ease back in more slowly over the week. It's funny how I started the week thinking I'm undercooking it and by Friday I'm thinking am I over cooking the come back 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Welcome back. You'd a great log previously and I remember your 9:59 well, which gave me plenty of inspiration back then. Didn't you take a bad tumble on a track 3km also (hardly the same race)?

Very lucky to be able to tell the tale and even luckier to be back running at the pace you are again. Was hit by a drunk driver myself back in the noughties, while walking in the middle of a town and it certainly changes your perspective on things when you (1) survive and (2) recover from something like that.

Yeah that's the race, I took a fair tumble in that race alright. Hopefully this new log will give inspiration to someone too 😀 Been involved in a car crash does change your perspective on things its hard to describe it. Thanks for the nice comments.

Update on the last two weeks .

After I took the weekend off I decided to take Monday off too as I thought there was still a slight niggle. I went for a easy 30 minutes Tuesday I thought it was fine after 3 days rest but if im honest with myself I still didn't think I was ready for sessionsaddingto the load. But I ignored that voice in my head telling me to take the next day off then followed by another easy day and assess it then. So it was business as usual on Wednesday with my session. The session went great but towards the last 5 minutes of the cool down I could feel niggle playing up again. It was bothering me a bit the next few days so more rest. I'm kicking myself for not easing back. Last week I did 4 days easy Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday all good so I'm hoping to return this week. If I had taken the previous week easy I think last week I'd be back doing sessions again.

Monday 9th September

Rest day

Tuesday 10th September

30 minutes easy @ 5:13/km or 8:24/mi

Wednesday 11th September

5x3 minutes @ 3:45/km or 6:02/mi with 2 minutes jog recovery

10 minutes warm up followed by drills and strides

5×3 minutes average paces

3:44/km or 6:00/mi

3:42/km or 5:57/mi

10 minutes cool down

I was probably quite fresh after 3 days rest but that session went great, very smooth.

Thursday 12th September

Rest day

Friday 13th September

Rest day

Saturday 14th September

Rest day

Sunday 15th September

Rest day

Monday 16th September

Rest day

Tuesday 17th September

30 minutes Easy @ 5:18/km or 8:32/mi

Wednesday 18th September

Rest day

Thursday 19th September

45 minutes easy @ 5:18/km or 8:32/mi

Friday  20th September

Rest day

Saturday 21st September

40 minutes easy @ 5:17/km or 8:30/mi

Sunday 22nd September

40 minutes easy @ 5:16/km or 8:29/mi

Monday 23rd September

28 minutes tempo

10 minutes warm up plus some drills and strides.

28 minutes @ 4:12/km or 6:45/mi

10 minutes cool down

I was feeling quite fresh after the two weeks pull back. No issues, working but not too hard so quite controlled overall.

Tuesday 24th September

Rest day

Wednesday 25th September

33 minutes tempo

10 minutes warm up

33 minutes @4:13/km or 6:47/mi

10 minutes cool down

Not sure why I had two sessions so close my only guess is to run the legs tired. I was off work so I did this run in the middle of the day which was very refreshing. Flat enough route on county roads but a slight pull for the last 2km into a head win had me working harder. A little dog tried to bite my heal around the half way mark so I had to give him a clip and he ran off. I've some of this route planned for a 5k time trial later in the year, I might have to change the route if that dog will be a problem.

Thursday 26th September

Rest

Friday 27th September

Easy 55 minutes @5:13/km - 8:24/mi

Almost 9pm when I got out, I couldn't find my headlight so I stayed running around town.

Saturday 28th September

Rest

Sunday 29th September

Easy 40 minutes @5:15/km - 8:27/mi

I love getting out on the country roads. Wet and cold first time wearing my jacket in a while!

Good week overall following the set back just over 40km/25mile and two solid tempo runs. Keep building the base!

With Berlin last weekend I'm doing a lot of marathon thinking. Should I follow a plan from a book? Should i go with my club mates? Should I buy a plan of a coach? Should I hire a private coach? Its a lot to think about. The last time I trained for a marathon was 2016 this was the plan from my club. I got injured on week 11 so I didn't get to the start line. I ran a 83:56 half in the build up to it it says 14 weeks but I was gearing towards it from June. I had a 10 mile race at the start of July.

Week 1

Monday - 4miles easy into 6miles slightly quicker than marathon pace

Tuesday – 6 miles

Wednesday – 8 miles

Thursday - Mild work out with big warm up and cool down - 2.5mile warm up and cool down 5x1mile cruise off 60sec jog rest

Friday – 4 miles easy

Saturday - Long run 12-14miles depending where you're at on build up

Sunday - Rest

Total 50-55miles

Week 2

Monday - 6 miles

Tuesday – 6 miles easy into 6miles 10sec faster than marathon pace, on marathon pace just set yourself a target and work off it, as if you have pace in the legs the strength can be developed

Wednesday – 6 to 8 miles

Thursday – 5 to 8 miles easy again depending on body

Friday - Session on tired legs - 6x6min @10mile race pace off 2mins rest. 2mile warm up & cool down (approx. 10mile total)

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - 12-14miles easy

Total 51-58 miles

Week 3

Monday - 6-8 miles

Tuesday - 4miles easy into 8miles at marathon pace

Wednesday - 8miles easy

Thursday - 6-8miles easy

Friday - 5x2km off 1km float - pace is 1/2marathon pace and float rest is 35/40sec slower on km 2 mile warm up and cool down (approx. 12 miles)

Saturday - rest

Sunday - 12-14miles

Total 56-62 miles

Week 4

Monday - 5-8 miles

Tuesday - 4 miles easy into 8miles at marathon pace

Wednesday - 8miles

Thursday - 6miles

Friday - 10x1km off 500m(1/2km float rest) the kms cruise pace +8-12sec & float rest is km pace divide by 2 and add 45sec(go 2km warm up and cool down and hit 21km/13 mile total)

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - Long run up to 15mile

Total 59-62 miles

Week 5

Monday - 5 - 8 miles

Tuesday - 20km progressive - 5km easy into 5km @marathon pace +5-7sec followed by 5km @marathon pace 5-7sec into 5km threshold(10mile race pace) (12 miles approx.)

Wednesday - 8miles

Thursday - 6miles

Friday - 5x2km off 1km float rest(2kms @1/2marathon pace and 1km float add 30sec or maintain active) go 2km warm up and cool down also (approx.11 miles)

Saturday - rest

Sunday - long run up to 16miles

Total 58-61 miles

Week 6

Monday - 8mile easy

Tuesday - Turnover stuff - warm up followed by 2x1mile cruise off 60sec then jog 60sec and go 8x45sec hills with jog back rest and into 2x1mile cruise again off 1min rest & cool down (Approx. 9 miles)

Wednesday - 5 miles easy

Thursday - 8miles easy

Friday - 3km warm up followed by 7x2km off 1km float rest - 2kms at marathon pace or tad bit under and 1km float 30-40sec slower. For 3hr marathon 4:10/4:15 pace per km on 2kms and float would be 4:45 & 3km cool down (approx. 16 miles)

Saturday - 5 miles easy

Sunday - Rest

Total 51 miles

Week 7

Monday - 6-8miles easy

Tuesday - 3km easy into 12km @marathon pace into 3km easy (11 mile approx.)

Wednesday - 6-8miles easy

Thursday - 5-6miles easy

Friday - Rest

Saturday – Athlone Half Marathon race (ease down for all)

Anyone not racing do a long run with the last 3 miles steady on long run.

Sunday – Rest

Total 45 miles

Week 8

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 8miles easy

Wednesday - 15miles - 5easy and 10 @marathon pace

Thursday- 5miles easy

Friday - 6miles easy

Saturday - 9x2km off 1km float rest – 3 hours marathon would be 4.10/15 per km and float is 4:45 km & it's 2km warm and cool down (approx. 12 mile)

Sunday - 5miles easy

Total 51-52 miles

Week 9

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 3km warm up followed by 5x5mins off 60sec jog rest - 5min runs @ cruise km pace pace & 3km cool down (approx. 8 miles)

Wednesday - 6miles easy

Thursday - 8miles easy

Friday - 7mile easy followed by 10x100m with walk back rest(turnover)

Saturday - 16miles - 10miles easy & 6@marathon pace

Sunday - Recovery 5miles

Total 51-52 miles

Week 10 5k race on Friday

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 8x1km - 4x1km @ 1/2marathon pace, 2x1km @ 10mile race pace(cruise pace) 2x1km @10km race pace all off 60sec jog. Warm up and cool down 2 miles (approx. 10 mile)

Wednesday - 8mile easy

Thursday - 6mile easy

Friday - Race 5km (7mile approx.)

Saturday - 10mile easy

Sunday - 5mile easy

Total 46-48 miles

Week 11

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 6miles

Wednesday - 8miles

Thursday - 8miles

Friday - Turnover - 5miles easy plus 10x100m off 60sec jog

Saturday - 30km - 10km @5.10 pace, 10km @easy pace, 10 at marathon pace and then 10km steady(objective is marathon pace balance out and progressive)

Sunday - 5mile easy

Total 51 miles approx.

Week 12 Last big week before taper

Monday - rest

Tuesday - 8mile easy

Wednesday - 2x1mile cruise pace off 60sec and 8x45sec off 60sec jog pick ups - just turnover with 2mile warm up and cool down (6.5-7miles approx.)

Thursday - 6miles easy

Friday - 8mile easy

Saturday - 10x2km with 1km float rest and 2km warm up and cool down - 35km total. 2km @1/2marathon pace or tad bit faster(nearing 10mile race pace) and 1km float 30-35sec slower should balance at marathon pace

Sunday - 5mile easy

Total 55 miles

Week 13 This week start to unload

Monday - rest

Tuesday - 8miles easy

Wednesday - 5x1mile cruise off 60sec jog rest with 1&1\2 mile warm up and down

Thursday - 8mile easy

Friday - 8mile easy

Saturday - 4miles easy into 4miles at marathon pace into 2miles steady(10mile race pace)

Sunday - 5mile easy

Total 47miles

Week 14

Monday - rest

Tuesday - 5 miles easy

Wednesday - 2km warm up 4x1km cruise off 60sec and 2km cool down (5miles approx.)

Thursday - 6km-4mile easy

Friday - rest

Saturday - 2.5mile - 4km easy

Sunday - rest

Total 16.5 miles

Race Week

Monday - Marathon sub 3 hours

Monday 30th September

21 Minutes Threshold

21 minutes @ 4:03/km or 6:31/mi average

10 minutes cool down

Late getting out around 815pm my wife has her gym session at 7pm on a Monday. It absolutely bucketed it down for a hour at 7pm but stopped and cleared up by the time I got out. Still plenty of puddles but perfect conditions for a session. My 1st km was the fastest at 4:00/km and slowest at 4:05/km Overall happy with the pacing. Session in town with open loop of main street which isnt ideal avoiding people. Nice workout overall, definitely getting harder towards the finish. Just over 5km of work and hit the 5km mark at 20:14

Tuesday 1st October

30 minutes easy @ 5:16/km - 8:29/mi

Perfect conditions again out and back on the country roads before it got dark.

Wednesday 2nd October

Rest day

Thursday 3rd October

9x 10seconds sprints with 3 minutes off recovery

15 minutes warm up plus drills

9x 10 seconds

10 minutes cool down

Not a fan of this sprinting, it comes up regularly enough on this program. Waiting around 3 minutes recovery felt quite long and awkward doing them in town. Ideally you'd do this on a track. I wore my jacket for this one to stay warm during the recovery. Paces on the 10 seconds were around 2:45/km on my watch but you'd take that with a pinch of salt given the short distance.

Friday 4th October

Easy 30 minutes @5:14/km - 8:25/mi

Late getting out so just around town

Saturday 5th October

Easy 77 minutes @ 5:03/km - 8:08/mi

Great to finally do a "long run" it's over a year since I ran this distance of just over 15km or 9 mile. I really enjoyed this run. I had a bit of pop in my legs after the sprints on Thursday and a tail wind or sheltered for the 1st 10km or 6 miles so I was deliberately slowing down. Good head wind for the last 5km mind you. This was my first time running this route in 4 years. It was a regular route back then.

Sunday 6th October

Rest day

Good week overall again. I'm continuing to build back up slowly

with over 42km or 26 miles

Some absolute whoppers of workouts in that marathon plan Sean. If you had gotten to the end of it in one piece, you'd be in great nick for a marathon I'd say.

Without writing down all the sessions and LRs and analysing them closer, it seems like you'd need to be in pretty solid shape to start the block. I've started marathon blocks close to peak fitness before and I've always found those were the hardest to manage, as opposed to the blocks where I built up to peak fitness.

Some meaty sessions in the early stages; week 2, 6 Miles into 6 Miles faster than MP :) Also, the 10x2k @somewhere between HM and 10 Mile pace off a k float, that session seems risky 3 weeks out (and a little insane 🤣).

All of the options you've outlined are workable. It's whatever suits you best…

I think if I got to the start line I'd have a great race but been honest with myself I don't think I was ever going to get to the start line. I was starting to break down from the half marathon onwards. The whole plan was too high risk and it was never going to workout the way my body started to breakdown after that half. I should have pulled the plug sooner. The 5km race was the nail in the coffin for me. I think I'll need coaching next year. Maybe following a plan from a book might work but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭crisco10

That 10 x 2k had me wincing. Isn't that basically 20k at Threshold pace (give or take)??

Advertisement