Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oasis Reunion. Its finally happening😱

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,999 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you gotta love the opinions of those that advocate for this extreme form of capitalism, free market libertarian's etc, there is no justification in these hyper inflated prices, there is no fairness in this behavior, this is not a case of supply and demand and equilibriums, this is blatant price gouging….

im glad to see other countries are starting to stand up and say, enough is enough….

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c20r26p7d0ro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭ericzeking

But the old school touts outside the ground weren't selling the volume of tickets at inflated prices that TM are?

Touting was a minor issue that has been nuked by the corporates, with the happy coincidence that they are creaming it themselves now.

They got rid of the big bad touts in their overcoats, we should be so grateful eh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Why should a band sell tickets, a luxury good, to me for less than me or someone else is willing to pay for it?

What did I do to deserve a discount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭Fanirish

anyone can rent the 3 arena. Board members could chip together if they wanted to rent it.
    Mcd have not used vicar st or aiken has not olympia/ academy venues which are run/ operated by mcd.
    Oasis may have asked for some or all of their guarantee fee to be paid over. That’s for promoter to pay without touching ticket revenue . Promoter does not have any access to that 33m and won’t be paid any monies till a week after the shows occur.
    All monies required to be paid to put on the shows are liability of mcd.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭crl84

Yes, they could have.

And the outcome would still be the same.

If anything, this is arguably a worse system as those who got the cheapest tickets would instead have to have paid more for them.
    I got my seated tickets for €125 each. Everyone I know who got standing got them for €167 or whatever it was. We would all have had to have paid more if there weren't a small amount of people paying €400 for standing tickets towards the end of the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I for one amn't saying these practices are correct and proper but greed has been around since the dawn of time.

In this case of this type of thing: if you don't like these practices then don't engage with them. It's pretty straight forward not to engage with them.

Some people seem to have lost all sense of individual responsibility and even more seem to be easily whipped up into a frenzy over something as non life and death as this!

Spot on.

And to use the concert analogy, I've bought "Loyalty Tickets" for All Together Now and Electric Picnic. Someone who buys a ticket later will pay more, despite us both having the exact same experience.

Likewise, most festivals now offer Early Bird/Tiered ticket pricing. Someone who buys now will get a cheaper ticket than someone that buys a week before the festival, or buys after the allocation of Early Bird tickets sells out.

They still have the exact same experience, despite paying different prices for no reason other than the organiser/promoter deciding to divvy up tickets into different price brackets based on perceived demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Touting was a major enough issue for people to lobby politicians to have it banned here.

And yes the corporates are creaming it. The online sales and dynamic pricing model allows them to extract near the full market value for tickets.

The only really unfair part of this system is the random allocation of your place to enter into the market. It is a lottery to whether you will be offered a low price by being early into the market or a high price by being a late comer. Participants do not choose when they can enter the market.

That aspect really is on ticketmaster and how they operate and indeed charge their booking fee for.

touts were operating at an industrial scale in the uk and ireland there has been uk court cases which show that.
    thing is that dynamic pricing only affected a small portion of oasis tickets. Maybe a few thousand across both nights were designated as such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,228 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's basically the well off just cornering off another piece of life for themselves.

"Just don't buy it if you can't afford a luxury item" is a lovely code to live by for the people who can afford it. Sure why not just make all luxury items the preserve of the rich and happy keep our poor mouths shut about the situation too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fafy

bottom line here is, Oasis/management authorised the dynamic pricing which is not illegal in the EU, so long as total price is advised to consumers prior to purchase.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/E-9-2023-002400-ASW_EN.html

This pricing model is optional, and most bands do not allow it, some do, like Oasis.

Whats more interesting to me, is there were no extra Dublin gigs announced, which they could have played, and demand was certainly there, which leads me to believe there is another act who has dates booked, for earlier in the year around May/June as the GAA calendar is closed off for gigs throughout most of June, and all of July up to mid August.

its not a discount, such practices are clearly gouging, to pit humans against other humans, the whole process is designed to manipulate basic, fundamental and critical emotional needs and wants, art is in fact one of the most critical of human needs, this is why we form deep bonds with our favorite acts, now we have entities simply trying to play on these critical needs, and extract as much from the process, so that they accumulate more and more. there was once a feeling of mutual benefit, these entities made some money from the process, and fans got to see their favorite acts, but now the tides are turning, most fans are now simply getting fcuked, and they know it!

its actually not a luxury good, humans have always had a very close connection with art, including and in particular with music, this goes all the way back to the cave…

…the difference now is, we ve commodified the whole process, leading to hyper monopolisation of the whole industry, most artists are making a grand total of fcuk all from this process, only major acts cleaning up, winners taking all…..

…if people want to keep seeing more and more new acts being formed, this approach needs to change as young acts generally cant make any money from it…

….a member from one of my own favorite bands recently admitted, hes now a glorified t-shirt sales guy, as this is truly how he makes money now, after 40 years of playing professionally, somethings not right there! he is regularly asked by younger musicians, how to make a living from music, he has no advice for them, only, maybe do something else!

…the whole process is fcuked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Sorry, but seeing Oasis Live isn't on the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Time for some perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So touting was a "minor issue" now? Mother of God! How quickly those forget……… or choose to forget in order for it to fit into their outrage!

yes greed has always existed in our societies, but we ve clearly entered an age of extreme greed, and ultimately extreme wealth inequality, and looking back in history, when this has previously occurred, it generally ended in serious conflict and war, so…..

ah yes, the ould individual responsibility malarkey! seriously!

what next with this approach, do we start bidding on other, far more critical needs such as food, health care, or maybe even housing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Extreme capitalism is morally wrong especially when there is no justification for it apart from greed.

Taken to its limit you end up with guys like Martin Shkreli who bought the company selling the drug Daraprim

to treat Aids patients and upped the price 56 fold to $750 a pill just because he could.

And there is a difference between peak Airplane fares, peak Hotel prices, Uber and these Oasis concerts. The amount of Oasis tickets and demand were known in advance. So there was no need whatsoever for dynamic pricing.

…taken to its extremes, you end up with nothing, no humans, no living planet!

You may or may not have noticed but we've been bidding, at one level of another on all three of those critical needs since the dawn of time.

There are some protections in place to protect the most vulnerable but lets be clear, tickets to an Oasis Concert aren't a critical need.

People seem to be gone a bit demented on this particular topic.

Of course individual responsibility comes into it.

As for "wealth inequality" - doesn't really come into it when taking about concert tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Are you really drawing a link between the price of drugs to treat Aids and the price of tickets to see Oasis in Croke Park?

An Aids patient likely needs those drugs to survive. Nobody needs an Oasis ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Can a separate thread be created to discuss dynamic pricing?

And keep this one purely for discussion about the actual upcoming gigs, potential support acts etc?

again, yes, to some degree, but again, we ve clearly entered a far more extreme stage of this approach, and now we re starting to see its outcomes, i.e. a rapid rise in social unrest, aggression, fear, anxiety, stress etc etc, and again, this has happened in history before, leading to significant conflicts and ultimately war!

a connection to art is in fact a critical human need, including attending concerts, we require this to form and maintain human connections, human bonding, and simply, to have fun, this is needed to maintain human well being, and our connections with others, so no, you re actually wrong!

Remember I used the term "Taken to it's limit". It does help quite a bit if you read what I have written before replying to my posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

He's best ignored…He WUM's on the League of Ireland thread too

You're so misinformed.

Professional touts were buying up mountains of tickets and selling them on Seatwave, Viagogo, Stubhub etc. It was an enormous problem. Tickets were being sold for prices well above anything charged for Oasis by those touts. They used mountains of bots to hoover up tickets.

That's why the legislation came in that Ticketmaster ('the corporates') actually objected to.

• Advertisement

Yeah but its a totally disingenuous statement to make.

If Oasis 'took it to its limit' and sold tickets for over 1k each, they wouldn't have sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Will be interesting when people’s dopamine levels return to normal after a few days, they realise they wouldn’t have paid that much to see a re-animated Beatles show, decide to sell the tickets on at face value, but can’t because all the people who missed out on the day have had time to think about the massive stroke TM/Oasis just pulled. The Gallagher Showband could be bottled off stage at gig 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,228 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Neither is eating in restaurants, cafes or takeaways. Neither is having a pint or wearing non basic clothing. Museums, cinemas, galleries and theatres the same.

Should less well off people just go about the place existing and sitting there quietly in their misery ?

Oasis are greedy and people are right to call them out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kennytheboy

Fontaines and inhaler being guessed. Would be a good evening of music.

Disingenuous to the Gallaghers? LOL. They made a living out of it.

• Advertisement

Calling out Oasis as greedy is absolutely fine and justified.

Calling for legislation to be introduced and there to be EU intervention because people are are unable to take responsibility for their own financial decisions for a music gig is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Just crossed my mind, will the time honoured tradition of pints being flung at an Oasis gig still hold given the crass amounts of dosh handed over to be there in the first place??

Luxury goods have always been the preserve of the well off.

That's why they're "luxury".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭griffin100

We’re jumping the shark here. Posters referring to people who didn’t get tickets as ‘victims’, reference to being ‘forced’ into paying high prices due to FOMO, calls for EU intervention because you didn’t get a ticket. It’s laughable.

or simply oasis have a set number of shows they want to perform and earn millions doing so and they aren’t going to kill themselves doing enough dates to meet demand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭Patser

Just heard a good way of putting things being mentioned on Radio Nova:

Imagine if the MCD announcement had been - Oasis Reunion: Tickets on sale 9am - Standing tickets from €400!

A lot of eyebrows would have been raised then in advance. Saying 'oh it's demand driven' but giving people little idea as to what they'll be expected to pay until they are at final step of purchase, after hours of queueing is chaotic. Having a lovely announcement saying prices from €87 sounds reasonable - not making it clear that that price is for an non-disclosed number of randomly lucky 1st in queue people, but not declaring what levels the tickets may go to in advance. I can see why consumer protection would kick in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

spoken like someone with a ticket……………..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭TenPicnics

Yes, nail on head. They'd probably like the same approach to food and water, and sure throw in medicines while we're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Yeah… The four pillars necessary for survival.

Food, water, medicine, Oasis ticket to Croke Park in 2025.

😂

• Advertisement

You are probably more upset at the backlash than the Gallaghers are.

😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,912 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm seeing Fontaines in December but if they were to support Oasis in Dublin, i think that would almmmoooost make up for the whole ticket debacle.

Or indeed the cost of pints - I'd expect most pints will be €7.50 by the time they play next year if not higher.

Not at all. I got my ticket at face value. I'm happy out. 😊

Gallaghers won't give a toss about the backlash either way.

…They already are!

€7.20 for Guinness at Coldplay. Rockshore was over €7.60 I think.

Again, no issues with calling Oasis or indeed anyone else greedy.

But he hand wringing around investigations and blaming others for not getting tickets isn't a great look.

Look, this is all very relative but it really is a first world problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Mac-Chops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Doc07

slight difference, those getting festival tickets after tier 1/early bird/loyalty pay about €50 more for the same experience,not 400% more.

Again nothing illegal, just sour tasteful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Just out of interest

Did anyone here buy a ticket at the dynamic price?

I know plenty of people who got tickets at the regular price (myself included). I know plenty of people who got offered a 400 euro ticket and let it go. I don’t know a single person who pulled the trigger. And EVERYONE I know was trying.

Point is, how many dynamic tickets were there? I’m guessing not many. For all the backlash, you’d have to wonder if it was worth it for Oasis and MCD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭ledwithhedwith

I don’t think the standing was ever 86, I got 177 with fees in the presale was 1500 in the queue.

Advertisement