Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Jesus lads it's the 1st game of the preseason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭FtD v2

It’s also a largely full strength Bordeaux side, given all their front line internationals had the summer off, and they’re at home.

We were disjointed for a lot of the night, but a few guys showed up well IMO.

Try scorers: Russell (9th), McKee (63rd), Osborne (77th, 80th);

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭FtD v2

I thought Conan scored the second try? Stream was a little hard to make out though. Andrew Osborne had a ropey first half but looked good in the second half on the wing I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭johnh6767

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RAKM

What was the FT score?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

As far as first games of the season goes, that wasn't too bad.

I thought the set piece was very strong. Scrum, line out and maul were all quite good.

The scrum especially has been our achilles heel at times and our props scrummaging ability has been well documented and debated. The Bordeaux props we saw there were all seasoned and experienced players. All featured heavily in the Top14 and Champions cup last season. Jefferson Poirot in particular is a seasoned loosehead with 36 international caps. Clarkson did very well against him.

Boyle and Milne both held their own well on their sides. But it's clear that Slimani is a scrum doctor haha. He commanded the tighthead side and I thought it was a fantastic debut from him. I'm excited to see what he can bring.

None of the rest of the pack looked out of place or out of depth. Few of them I would wager comprehensively outplayed their opposite number but there were solid outings from Connors, Culhane, Deegan and Boyle.

I thought the ruck techniques of our pack was excellent for the most part as was the tackle technique and linespeed.

Foley I felt had a superb game. His pass was always quick off both hands and rarely inaccurate. Yes at times he made wrong decisions but overall his passing quality was helping us scrounge some front foot ball. Easily good enough to surpass McGrath.

Gunne when he came on had an equally nippy but more inaccurate pass. Plenty of receivers needing to check. But overall a decent performance.

The overall backline play I thought was disjointed and lacking shape. Bleyendaal has his work cut out.

I thought Turner was poor. Osborne took his tries well but I thought outside of that he was poor. I commented at Under20s how he had an aversion to tackling and that has persisted into senior thus far. Technically a very poor tackler.

TOB was the pick of the backs with some decent involvements. I particularly enjoyed his enormous hit in our 22. And putting his feet past the 10m mark before claiming the restart so it counted as 10. Very high rugby IQ (if intentional!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

They're still playing the attacking patterns they'll be using during the season - and it didn't look to me as if it was a case of things not clicking because players weren't on the same wavelength but the basic ingredients being there when they play together enough. They just look very predictable. I think it's concerning.

Not a time to lose perspective. Lots of encouragement to take from it particularly the last 20-30 minutes when they seemed to be more settled, bearing in mind the youth on the field. On the lingering 9/10 debate, 10 is clear it’s Frawley & Prendergast for next cycle. 9 I thought Foley had a good game, as previous post stated, definitely enough to remove McGrath from contention. Gunne is a very well rounded player, lovely skills and pitch awareness , powerful all rounder. Osborne & McErlean, both very talented, will continue to do well. Unfair perhaps to compare to what is their first choice back line with international presence. Pack out in a strong shout, Culhane as captain 2nd year running clearly a prospect for next breakthrough and leaves every ounce on the pitch. Gus McCarthy a well earned try in a competitive position. I’m encouraged that we can take a squad ex our best players and compete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Let this be the season TOB stays injury free please. Hate seeing talent like his going to waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭50HX

Always enjoy watching him play, pity he's been made of glass these past few seasons.

Very intelligent player & v physical...not a huge player & I was surprised he wasn't bigger when I met him in Dublin last year

He doesn't shy away from defensive duties

Looks like Rory McGuire and Andrew Osborne moved into Leinster senior squad.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/teams/mens-senior/

Surely a mistake? Bizarre to promote them after announcing the academy so recently.

Unless Ulster came sniffing to McGuire as they're in dire staits at TH.

They're both still listed on the academy page also. McGuires profile is the same on the academy page as well as the senior page.

Osborne however has different profiles and his senior profile states he's a senior player.

Extremely strange decision. While he might come good I haven't seen anything from him that suggests he should be a senior squad mainstay. Certainly not to the point where we promoted him early presumably to ward off other provinces…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,516 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Love the new thread name - as long as he doesn't bugger off to France.

They also haven't updated Jamies picture to denote his Ireland cap yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

It's tough to keep on top all of the content needs. The Comms Team seem very good in Leinster generally.

Oh boy that's a hard disagree from me.

On the website point. It shouldn't be hard to get the squad correct on a website about that professional team. That's bread and butter. Slimani arrived weeks ago and his profile is still a sillouhette. Jamie Osbornes international honours have not been acknowledged with an IRFU logo on his pic.

The website is clunky and slow. Domestic results still redirect to the old sportlomo site which isn't optimised for mobile or desktop.

Adding to the fact there is such a poor online presence. Very little behind the scenes info. Rare if ever streaming pre season games, A games, Underage games etc etc etc.

It's a hard job. And you wont please everyone. They do some things well. But I feel they're strongly lacking in the comms department

Yeah it's been poor and has been for awhile. They seem happy with it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

I wouldn’t say they’re good, nevermind very good

It seems to be a feature across many rugby unions for some puzzling reason. The highlights packages we get for URC are piss poor. No idea how they can be that bad and I’d hope nobody is getting paid for them - could literally get a TY student on it that could produce far better.

As I said it’s an issue with rugby as a whole. Dunno is it down to the blazer dinosaurs in the upper echelons not grasping the power of YouTube and other social media platforms for spreading the game and raising interest but the way things were during the RWC were a travesty. Such a lost opportunity to promote the comp. Backwards idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭PMC83

Whatever about the Leinster comms team the URC highlight stuff on YouTube is pretty good I would have thought. Highlights up pretty quick after the game and generally contain everything you'd want to see. They put up past full matches as well as individual player highlights. They have kept the content going well over the summer.

Post edited by PMC83 on

• Registered Users Posts: 35 thePigeon_

+1. No complaints with the URC highlights, they're miles better than some other offerings. I feel like international highlights are some of the worst.

A gripe of mine is when some highlights packages show all available replays of a try, even if it means sacrificing the build up play or other snippets from the game. In fairness to the URC they'll show disallowed tries, penalty kicks, etc.. actually bringing you through how the game went rather than spending 3 minutes on multiple views of 3 or 4 tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

The gold standard for YouTube highlights imo is SANZAR's output (both Rugby Championship and Super Rugby). Premiership highlights are really good too. I have always found the URC highlights to be absolutely dreadful, they come out quickly but tell very little about the game. Would prefer they spent a bit more time preparing a more comprehensive package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Pro 12 URC etc have never nailed media stuff. I’d love to see a weekly in season magazine show, light hearted enough a bit like the footy show in Australia. Doesn’t need TV on you tube would do. Highlights of games, bit of banter a a couple of ongoing bits with various players doing something light hearted as a competition.

Don't They already have that with Ferris and Shanklin and Barclay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Honestly I see clips of that but haven’t a clue what it’s off or normally about. Which is either a failing of theirs or I’m just too stuck in my ways to change how and what I consume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭PMC83

It doesn't uniquely stand out from House of Rugby, Rugby pod or all the rest. I didn't even know it was URC based.

Honestly between all that stuff and the paid stuff like OTB and the 42 there's more rugby content out there weekly then the average fan has time to watch

I think it's really poor. It's all about bed banter. You know a podcast where one makes a small joke in the middle of making a point and they all double down and make tiny iterations on the what was a 2/10 joke to begin with? Well, it's full of that. Hard to watch. Not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Finally the new season is upon us. I'm cautiously optimistic. There's little chance that our offense will be as poor this season. JN has had a pre season. No excuses, time to play to our best abilities. Slimani will be a good signing. The scrum should be ok. As far as R G goes, I don't expect too much. I'm hoping he shows up for the meaty end of the season.

Advertisement