Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

😔 Let's try this again. There's an Aldi near me, it has only one DRS machine and it spends more time out of order than actually working. This was it a few days ago.

This was it yesterday(Sunday).

This was it this afternoon(Monday), which I told a staff member about and was an easy fix.

So often I see bags of empties at the machine or by entrance/exit. People frustrated and just dump them. I happened upon the "reject items only" bin being emptied today. It filled a shopping trolley and more of people putting their empties in there when the machine isn't working.

And this has to be a regular occurrence. I seen the staff member then putting them into the DRS machine as I was leaving. It's not the first time I've seen it happening. I'd say the staff are only too delighted to see the machines "out of order". I don't know what arrangement they have on divvying up their proceeds. It reminds me of Groundskeeper Willie on The Simpsons with his retirement grease.

There was an elderly man with both hands full of large bags of empties on Sunday. I was talking to him, he was saying he looked like he had raided Electric Picnic, he had so much. He had to go back out to the car as the machine was broken, leave the bags there and come back in to do his shopping. I was telling him it wasn't as bad for me as I only had a few empties(he offered to take them for me, but then I'd lose out on this scam) and where the nearest other options were, but then of course his voucher would have to be used in that specific branded retailer. On his way out, I seen a bag of empties and was saying someone must have left them there out of frustration.

When I was leaving a few minutes later, the bag was gone. I don't know if that old man came back and took them or if a staff member got to them instead. The thought has crossed my mind to take these bags home myself, I'm sure that's what some people do when they see them left behind.

Also today, I had to wait several minutes as a guy ahead of me had a shopping trolley full of empties and was going to town on the machine. I managed to sneak a shot of the screen, it's a little blurry.

And that wasn't even the final count. Where the eff are you getting 250+ items? Maybe he had a house party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭jj880

BoardsBottler had a 200 euro voucher posted here IIRC. So probably well over 1000 containers if the majority were for a 15c deposit. Think they had some kind of pallet on wheels setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,619 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's a bit of a nightmare all right.

Is there another shop in the area with an RVM ?

If Aldi can't keep their one working it might be better to go elsewhere.

You can cash the voucher and do your shopping wherever you prefer.

As for the guy with 250 containers, he could be working somewhere that lots of containers get left behind.

Maybe a school or works canteen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The pallet on wheels is a creative one. Others I have seen are a skip bag out of a van and an actual wheely bin out the back of a jeep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Thats a feature, not a bug! It prevents small children from running around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

After months of uneventful trips to the machines followed by serene shopping, I had one of those horrible experiences today at Aldi. They have two machines outside, and of course one was out of order. I was surprised to see that the usual queue of hundreds was not there. I soon found out the reason when I tried to put in my first bottle. A swarm of wasps emerged from the machine, and I had to beat a hasty retreat.

The wasps went on their merry way, so I tried again. I got the voucher, but when I was a few yards away heading into the shop the machine exploded. I mentioned the wasps to the assistant who was guarding the trolley with handle monstrosities inside (what is wrong with wire baskets, life is so difficult these days?). He said I was lucky it wasn't the locusts.

Did my shopping and presented the voucher along with one from a few days ago. The assistant said you have to use those within three days. When I queried this she drew a gun on me, saying Listen Pal I am from Rossiya, we know how to deal with troublemakers like you in my country. So I paid with cash. On the way back to the car, I noticed the locusts demolishing a nearby hedge.

Well I suppose this is better than irrelevant links + copy and paste dumps. Or bringing up soda water prices again. Points for effort. Your delivery could do with some work though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭geographica

Not been near a clean machine yet, they are absolutely filthy and stinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Recycling bin and general waste bin now go out about once a month, if that, rarely even close to full. Given my provider has been acting the Michael about collecting compost recently, I'm thinking it's probably time to cancel the service altogether. Must be a fairly common occurrence around the country so charges will only go one way for those who still need their wheelie bins.

Oh and I've had no issues with the machines since I last posted, lest someone comes along to imply I'm trying to find out of order machines or some such nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Fighting wasps to return my cans is now at the top of the list for why this scam melts my brain... fun times. Made worse by the fact that my job now allows me access to see how many boats are currently sailing and how many planes are flying every day.... makes my efforts seem utterly pointless tbh.

• Advertisement

Its some craic.

Would be interesting to see some monthly stats for total cans and plastic bottles sold over the last few years. At least then we could point to that as some kind of win because if it hasnt reduced this scheme is increasing carbon footprint due to the many reasons already discussed here.

I also would like to know how they're managing to recycle both aluminium and plastic seeing as they both go into the same bucket after getting crushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭marvin42

....there are many videos on YouTube explaining the process.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Re-turn aren't threatening to take money out of your bank account like the bin companies are.

No, they're taking your money at the tills, with you then having to work to get your own money back with your time and effort. At least the binman is working for you, not forcing you to work for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Not made with hands

If you have a 2 litre plastic bottle, and it's crushed a bit, then it's wider than the outer "neck" of the machine.

However it's easy force this through the neck of the machine, the barcode gets read ok but at the next "neck" it gets stuck.

You can't force it along this time as it's too far in so the machine goes into lockdown faster than Tony Holohan can implement one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭bog master

But our Minister said,

“One of the big learnings that we took away from our examination of theDeposit Return Schemes in other countries was that everyone in the DepositReturn Scheme chain has to be paid for their work.

https://www.checkout.ie/packaging-design/a-step-closer-to-the-circular-economy-198985

Just checked, can't see a single video from ReScam showing how they separate and recycle what is going into RVMs. But you seem to know they're there, so an aul link would be great. I don't want to see how other companies do it, I want to see how ReScam do it.

That's how a DRS works.

It's a deposit, you get it back.

They don't want your money, they want to reach their targets.

The friendly binmen are threatening to increase your charges to put pressure on the Government in their negotiations.

Those 2 litre plastic bottles are quite pliable.

They can be manipulated back into shape.

You can also blow into them and they will pop out.

Don't do it with ditch finds though 😊

Yes I know that.

But it illustrates how temperamental the machines are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,421 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Their target is 90%. If they wanted everybody's money back, they wouldn't have screwed over people who get deliveries, those with mobility issues accessing RVMs with slots set too high for wheelchair users, people buying in ports or airports.

Your binmen are threatening an increase in charge because your friendly Return operators are using the revenue from selling on recyclables to fund their operation. That was previously offsetting the code of kerbside bin collections.

And spare us any fantasy legalese nonsense about you not having a contract with your friendly binmen specifying that.
    That isn't worth the paper it isn't written on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

A man walks into a pet shop and says "I'd like to by a wasp". The assistant says "We don't sell wasps". The man says "I saw one in your window yesterday".

We're going over old ground yet again.

I've previously acknowledged the issues you mention, discussed them and even came up with a few possible solutions.

The binmen are doing exactly as I said in the post you replied to.

Bit rich that.

You brought up binmen to defend Re-Turn not giving stats on unclaimed deposits.

Jaysus 😂. Next time you return a container throw yourself in after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭bog master

Last two episodes of DRS machines I noticed a lot more rejects or having to insert several times before accepting the can. The most recent, of 38 attempted returns, 11 needed multiple attempts. This was also the case of the person at the machine before me.

Previous 6-7 weeks almost 100%. Is this a sign of machines needed a service?

There have been several conversations here about the bin companies.

I think you are referring to when someone suggested that the bin companies should get statistics from Re-turn.

I pointed out that the bin companies would have their own figures for the amount collected before and after DRS introduction.

Hardly a hugely supportive intervention in favour of Re-turn.

I have noticed that some machines are more temperamental than others.

A quick check of the containers at home helps to avoid problems at the machine.

No that's bullsh1t.

You don't go through all the containers at home manipulating them trying to second guess what issue the machine you decide to go to might have today.

That's being plain silly.

I'd an issue with perfect bulmers cans recently. I found I had to kink them to get the machine to scan them.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 c2r

I was down in the south last weekend, and did a free shop at Dunnes having cashed in about 30 euro of cans and plastic bought in France and the north over the last couple of months. Thanks Return 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Was in the city centre yesterday and brought a couple of bottles back to a supervalu and there was a person in front with a couple of bags, they had to stop every time they reached €10 and print the ticket and then continue. First time I seen that.

The most frustrating thing is putting in a bottle or can and machine rejects it, then you put in again facing a different way and it gets accepted. This is when there is nothing on barcode stopping it from being read. Such a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I meant to post yesterday that it's a new day, but it's the same old $h1++¥ banjaxed DRS machine.

I had a check before I left, and almost as usual it wasn't working. I was in there the day before, but was in such a rush, I never thought to check. I'll be in there later and must remember to check it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,576 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So at least 1 in 4 items not going through the DRS…

So Re-turn want years of that, pocketing the deposits, not asking questions as to why 25% - 33% of items not being returned. Zero regard for flaky machines, for people who get deliveries.

The gombeens continue to gombeen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭bmc58

I'ts the signe of a con.People get frustrated with the machines and dump the can/bottle into the trash chute.Another 15/25c for the return company.

That headline is framed like its a bad thing, but if 1 in 4 is not being recycled through the scheme, then 3 out 4 are, which is 75%. Then add in people who are still recycling through their green bin at home, then you are looking at ~80% recycled which is above the targets.

I predict that "bad news" is the precursor to an increase in the deposit.

Do the items in the green bin count towards the required EU target i.e. non Return recycling? When I looked into it before, it didn't seem to count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,576 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I think the media are beginning to question where the large amount of unclaimed money is resting.

Short answer: I don't know. I would imagine they must do, otherwise all the countries without a DRS, would have a score of 0.

Remember, the EU did not direct Ireland to implement a DRS. They are directing a recycling rate of x - how each country does it is up to them. It's our own government who decided the easiest way to do it was put it in the hands of a private company.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭jo187

How Does this work? Is there no tax on cans/plastic there? And if not how does the machine accept it without the Return logo? Just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

We have no idea what the stats actually are. There's a lot of fluffy wording in that piece

Even if Re-Scam spend all the unclaimed deposits on "recycling initiatives", that leaves a hefty amount of interest to spend.

Some cans sold in other jurisdictions have the Re-turn logo and barcode.

I presume this is because they are produced on the same line as ROI stock and they are just sold wherever the producer wants to sell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 redshift-rider

We recycled 79% of cans already in 2019, without any deposit scheme. (source: Aluminium Packaging Recycling Organisation Ireland)

The problem is that these cans went to the bin companies, then the drinks companies and their canners had to buy the aluminium from them at market rates. The DRS scheme was setup specifically so that drinks industry control aluminium collection and recycling. Drinks and can companies are the ones running the scheme.

When you buy a can of coke, you pay for the drink and the container, both are included in the price. You own the container, you paid for it. This scheme compels you to give your paid-for property away for free to the companies who sold it to you, so they can sell it back to you all over again. It's a money-making scam, disguised as environmentalism and forced on us by the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

No DRS in France, most communes have public recycling centres where you drop off your cans, bottles etc. It was wonderful going to the local Carrefour this summer, being able to buy cans of beer for less than one euro and then bring the cans/bottles etc to the local centre without any fuss. Interesting read below on the plans the EU have for DRS:

https://www.france24.com/en/environment/20240318-activists-say-eu-s-proposed-deposit-refund-schemes-are-false-solution-to-plastic-pollution

These are calculations made by a RTE journalist. Nothing to do with Re-Turn, other than using their monthly return numbers. They have made it clear that it will take a year to come up with any useful sales v returns data. But he did get a representative from the Retailers to make a guess that things will continue on the up and up. Which the raw return numbers probably indicates anyway. But impossible to know without the actual sales figures. The last time he had a go at this in May, at least he had the good grace to point out the obvious.

- "Given the open-ended nature of Re-Turn’s liability to redeem deposits, a return rate calculated over a short period will not yield good information as to the scheme’s performance."

https://www.rte.ie/author/968575-padraic-geoghegan/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 c2r

Some of the tins, like the Warseteiner bought in france, and the Brewdog ones I got in the north have loads of different countries logos on them - mainly from Scandinavian countries - but it's clear that these smaller brewers are probably not doing it at sufficient scale to produce separately for different markets. Same with things like M&S own brand stuff - e.g. tonic water - their Irish sales are very small in comparison to GB so just stick the logo on everything. Other items like fever tree tonic water tins have the return logo stuck on in the south, but the tins from the north went in just as well. Then I do plastic picking from the beach, and some of the discarded stuff there has the logo - whether it was bought in the south or not, who knows… I would normally put it in my blue bin, but instead it's gone in the pile to take south next time I'm there for work or visiting relatives etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement