Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ticketmaster and dynamic pricing

• 02-09-2024 4:28pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Thread started to avoid specific gig threads being inundated with comments about this. Please only use this thread to discuss the issues we have seen with Oasis and other events

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's wrong and anyone supporting it should be executed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Dynamic pricing and the ticketmaster queuing system will continue since it is the most effective way to sell tickets at the highest price possible. The name of the game is to maximise profit, like any business.

I don't know why people think gigs should be different to the rest of the economy.

Fairness doesn't come into it. Never did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Isn't it amazing how the ticket price for half sold Gigs never comes down, surely it should work both ways...…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

In that case I’ll support it as long as I can have as my last wish 2 tickets to Oasis next year and a deferred death sentence until after the gig 🤪

Don’t suppose you’d downgrade that sentence to my right arm?

Anyway- listened to BBC today and a commentator said that the band in question must have been involved in the decision making- he had spoken to another artist on the basis of confidentiality and was told yes, it is an option for artists to choose dynamic pricing

not in favour of it myself have to say- given the volumes looking there will always be disappointed fans - Coldplay had how many sold out or near sold out gigs this year? Many fans went multiple times as they did for some of the other gigs earlier this summer.

Dynamic pricing simply means band or artist can receive maybe 1.5 times (that’s my guess) the money per gig than they would without it. It is pure greed - it’s better to make it more difficult to re sell on tickets or only through official channels and same purchase price or whatever and concentrate on that - for ordinary fans, the outcome is similar -it’s simply a case of either the ticket tout will scalp you or the band will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭Fanirish

the fairest solution is oasis should of charged €50 extra per ticket and not done dynamic as they would have generated same amount of money

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The UK government have started an investigation into it. The Taoiseach has questioned the system and the US authorities are already investigating Ticketmaster's monopoly.

I think this is the beginning of the end of dynamic pricing. It may well be outlawed in some countries, but that may take some time to happen .In the meantime it may well be that Ticketmaster (and of course the band) have tried to hold off selling tickets for any additional Oasis gigs while they review the backlash they have already had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Until there is some way to come up with an alternative to the random number generator that decides where you are in the queue there will always be issues. Having some sort of merit based approach to tickets would at least make it less galling if you can't get tickets (e.g. that person queued for 2 nights, so they deserve it more than me).

A guy I work with's brother-in-law logged onto ticketmaster at 07:55 and when the queue started he was number 2,000 or something. Easily got tickets. Whereas I know other people were on from whenever the waiting room opened and got put into position 200k or 300k in the queue. That feels wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

To be fair it does in the instances where they're not sold.

The issue is that they largely sell long before that point…

If you don't do it randomly then people and bots will game the system. While someone waiting patiently at their screen for hours might "deserve" tickets, a bot or a script could easily mimic that.

The only way the system cannot be gamed is to make it random. When it's random it's unfair, but it's always been unfair especially when there aren't enough tickets to go around so the market sets the price at an affordable level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Government just needs to cap the dynamic pricing sillyness - put a limit of 15% on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Widescreen

It is the Bands getting there own back on the ticket touts and to a certain extent the music buying public many of whom have been downloading music for free for years.

I guess putting up a gig for sale with tickets priced at 100 and then seeing touts selling them on for multiples of that price sickened the promoters and bands and dynamic pricing is there solution to that problem.

So the bands are trying to get back the money they feel is being stolen from them on an ongoing basis.

I don't agree with it though, because most people are law abiding and as usual the majority are paying for the minorities actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do they still have tickets for €400+ for them gigs on sale or did they never got above the FROM price advertised? Dynamic pricing can go up and down but all companies have a base price it won't drop below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

With all the bad press Oasis has had over this, it's become very clear of the bands mindset.

It's obviously all been done to gain a large income but if they had fixed the prices they would probably have made more money.

People feeling good about the band might have started to buy more Oasis albums, merchandise etc.

Now, I'm not so sure. Plenty of peeved off people out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Don't need to hear politicians whinging about it, when they're the ones who can put stop to it it with regulation.

Thankfully, I've never been stung by it, as I only attend gigs by uber cool/obscure small acts 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Agree .

Bad feeling after this would not make you inclined to spend anything more on them , their music or their merch .

Think they won't care as probably not going to play again .

US has taken Live Nation to court over this this year so as @Beasty said could be the beginning of the end for dynamic pricing if other countries follow suit .

But not going to help us with Oasis tickets unfortunately .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

They could probably legislate that ticket prices have to be announced the day before and no changes can be made. The way around that I suppose is any gigs that are a guaranteed to sell out the cheapest ticket will €200+

You're spot on. Ticketmaster will just say "Standing Tickets €170 - €500 (subject to demand)".

It won't happen though. Nothing will come of this in the short-medium term.

And even if somehow Dynamic Pricing is removed, ticket prices will just go up anyway to account for it.

Unlikely. The average price of tickets is likely around 275-300 mark. Single fixed sitting and standing prices would have cost Oasis at least €100 a head. No way would you have every attendee spending that much on merch if the ticket prices were lower. Instead, touts would have pocketed the difference.

The only thing it's cost them is people now consider them greedy and out of touch with their roots. What that's actually worth remains to be seen as it hasn't harmed the likes of Springsteen in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

A possible solution would be to reform the licence process for these big acts to include clear pricing limits per category of ticket in the licence.

The reform shall include a stipulation that event licence must to be applied for in advance of any tickets going on sale.

Promotor makes application for event for x number of people. They include breakdown x number of tickets at certain price points within the venue. They could do this easily.

Alternatively, just state in the licence that dynamic pricing of tickets is not permitted.

A concert licence clearly needs to come with commercial guidelines and restrictions to protect fans from what happened on Saturday last.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It does not happen in sport. You can pay a premium equivalent to a VIP package, but imagine the outcry if they tried this with a major soccer event.

Sky News presenters have the bit in their teeth now and I think changes in the UK are inevitable. And that will flow through to Ireland but it may take time. However it may put TM on notice and they could act yo stop it. And to be clear, yes artists have a say, but it it TM who are selling this product to them and they are raking in more fees on the back of it.

I have picked up a ticket in France for Paul McCartney without any suggestion of dynamic pricing. It was the same for the Who last year. That may be down to local legislation or the fact TM have no monopoly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭beachhead

Oasis or any concerts and dynamic pricing=consumer rip off

we should also require all new hotels not to charge more than €200 a night.
    dynamic pricing only affected a small number of tickets, in the 5% range if even.
    tickets to events have always been stratified. And if dynamic banned all that will mean is artists will move dynamic allotment to vip packages for €500 or more

The alternative, I would suggest in a similar situation as last weekend is fixed price tickets at a higher price point, which if that is what people what is perfect.

It still wont protect consumers from themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think if a robust push back comes against dynamic pricing, it will be from the EU.

On the face of it, its already highly illegal under EU consumer and competition rules.

I mean any fool could have seen there would be demand for these tickets and indeed any popular act. And so dynamic pricing, as described, is also highly disingenuous.

Comparisons excusing the practice have been made with Air Fares and Hotel Tariffs, but while concert or match demands may certainly affect both, at least when you search Ryanair or Aer Lingus, the price is there in front of you. It does not increase between selecting the flight, or the room and completing the transaction.

If concert promoters want to set their prices, at say 85 for the pitch tickets, or 105, or even 405, then thats what the prices should be advertised as from the beginning, and let consumers make the choice, not have a gun put to their head after hours and hours of waiting.

I think if Ticketmaster is to be probed, then it should also be a systems audit to investigate the queuing process and site capacity, as its clearly disadvantageous to the consumer as things stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Stillill42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

is this the first thread in the history of boards where we all agree on something?

My god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Hotels are not the same thing! You have a choice to stay elsewhere with them.

• Advertisement

dynamic pricing is not illegal. It’s common in dozens of industries particularly hospitality and transport.
    when you select the flight the price options are displayed similarly when you pick ticket options for oasis. Buyer is fully informed when making purchase decision as to the price. They make purchase with full info.

no system can’t easily handle millions of IP addresses trying to gain access and carry out transactions in small window. Glastonbury system barely copes every year.
    quite simply oasis could never do enough summer shows to meet demand. Supply affects demand and they increased ticket price to reflect the actual market. If 5000 people bought those expensive Croker tickets it’s on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,734 ✭✭✭squonk

I’d say the “Ticketmaster are great” Lads from the other thread will arrive soon enough.

But you have a choice as well with tickets - buy or don't buy…………..

Who is saying ticketmaster are great?

For some reason people think they have no option but to buy something if its there in front of them - that seems to be the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Some people don't have a choice to stay somewhere other than accommodation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah totally - it will short term I guess but come next year? Yeah some will remember and shy away from the Oasis overpriced sho1e merchandise tent but it will still be tempting for many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I remember years ago the government brought in a law to make ticket touting illegal, it's number one objective was fans could not be charged more than the original value of the ticket.

Ticketmaster have just cut out the middleman and are touting the tickets above face value themselves.

Time to see the law applied which is a fine of up to 100k euro or up to two years in prison if you sell tickets for above their face value.

The audacity of these people is disgusting.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The way I see it is that dynamic pricing is a creation of consumerism and lacks definition as it's a open-ended profiteering strategy.

If you take any hypothetical reasonably popular band who are touring, the vast majority of their gigs are going to be desirable to the average punter and would be reasonably expected to sell out in a short time. A marketing strategy therefore would try match the availability to the demand, but this creates a three-fold opportunity to the gougers such as ticketmaster:

1. What defines when a gig is "in demand" and therefore subject to dynamic pricing; and how is the level of demand measured and respective pricing increases applied? It can't be left down to Ticketmaster to define as they have been proven to be dishonest in this respect.
    2. What then happens in a case where a gig is sold as a one-night event and the ticket prices are highly desirable and therefore dynamically priced on that basis - but then a second night is later announced. Ticketmaster have then modified the marketplace by later increasing the availability of a limited commodity. This is commonly called market manipulation.
    3. Irish legislation has made it illegal to sell tickets at a value inflated from their face-value, but if you control the face-valve (through dynamic pricing) and also control all of the resale opportunities, then you're defined as a monopoly within a closed marketplace.

So this absolutely needs to be tackled at a European level and not just an a national level, but the end result should require the separation of Ticketmaster from Live Nation and then also from the resale websites at a minimum.

The ability to stay somewhere else is irrelevant. You could argue by that logic that there are other gigs you could go to.

Interested for that... Not sure I've seen one poster claim that they're great or even good yet.

But it's fairly simple to avoid the impact of a ban on this type of selling.

For concerts where demand is likely to outstrip supply you have various tiers of fixed ticket prices.

X for the first 10K standing tickets sold, 2X for the next 10K etc etc and so on……

For gigs like this one X could have been 150 euro……..

Ultimately, if you have fans willing to pay stupid money for tickets (which is the case for numerous gigs we have seen over the past few summers) and where supply is no where near demand AND where the artist wants to maximise revenue - there isn't much you can do…….

Agree, that anything is done has to be at least pan european otherwise artists will chose to go to countries where its not in effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

so make it illegal

this maximum monetization method escalates greed, the consumer gets gamed and screwed while big business highfives

and yet again with all things that go digital it becomes a 1 or 0, winners and losers, haves vs have nots

also the Gallagher gobshites can stfu now with any claims they're of the working classes because they're 100% in on it

pure profit and greed

that's my opinion

It will be very amusing to see reactions if it comes out that only a tiny % of tickets were dynamically priced and people will have to find something else to get their knickers in a twist about.

True, but it pisses on that marketing model and disrupts it. It will probably end up akin to fuel pricing but in this case you'll get to see the ticket pricing and availability in advance, ie:

7,000 standing at 80 EUR
    500 standing at 180 EUR
    20,000 seated at 120 EUR
    25,000 seated at 170 EUR
    3,000 seated at 210 EUR

…and so on. It's then still stinks but at least it's up-front.

It won't change the end result but agreed it would be more up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Dynamic pricing for gigs such as Oasis is a complete joke. You can have someone at their computer 10 hours before the sale paying multiples of what someone who was at their computer 1 hour beforehans(which doesn’t happen with airlines and hotels for whoever insists it’s the same thing).

Its meaningless and not based on demand, ultimately its Ticketmasters algorithm deciding that you’re simply going to have to pay more because of where you were assigned in the queue.

Hopefully the EU do something about it. Can’t stop bands demanding ridiculous amounts of cash, but don’t force someone to pay way more than they should. Have the ticket prices posted 48 hours before sale so people know what they should expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Valencia in La Liga in Spain are bringing this in with their league matches. It's the way it's going to be in the future. Demand will set the price and events like football matches and concerts will be the preserve of the rich only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

When Mary Lou McDonald came out with an idea to set house prices at €300K the outrage from the shysters in government was off the scale. Now it's outrage because concert ticket prices are not set in stone.

Again, no one is being forced into paying more than they should. The consumer has the option at any stage not to buy the ticket.

People keep saying 'concerts' like they're all the same. It's doing my head in. It's like saying 'football matches' when you're talking about Champions league finals. There'll be 20 great gigs in Dublin this week, great acts in lovely, small venues with crowds made up of sound people who love music. I don't give a **** if Coldplay become an act only accessible to the rich. Actual music is there whenever people want it.

Rich is a very subjective word.

I'd argue that most concerts/football matches/events are currently the preserve of the "rich" only already and have been for decades. An average person living in Ireland is richer than 97% of the worlds population………

• Advertisement
Advertisement