Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster House Bicycle Shed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

the waste of money in county councils and opw must be unbelievable. It’s just name your price kinda stuff. And no accountability.
    €18600 per bike 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

20k per bike to park your bike in the open air, nothing to see here, sounds legit.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Anyone doing work for government or any state owned entity can basically write their own cheque. No one cares. There is zero accountability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It looks like it was fabricated off site.

It'll be interesting to see the full price breakdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Our inept government is exceptional at wasting the US MNC tax windfall that we have. It's great that this windfall will last forever and ever.

No wonder they lost complete control on the Children's hospital.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

If it's taxpayers money then no expense will be spared.OPW could not care less and politicos even less.The more money spent to house their E3,000 bikes the better

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wonder how much of that was spent on solicitors to write a watertight planning application.

I think that was mentioned in consultant fees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭geographica

the OPW are the greatest wasters in Ireland and don’t have to account to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I think as it's taxpayers money we are fully entitled to a breakdown of the costs involved in this wannabe smoking shelter. Every single cent accounted for - surely not too much to ask given the cost of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭geographica

We’ll have to wait to see, Ken Foxe squeezed this

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Soc_Alt

One public funding is in the mix, everyone is involved in a massive scam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭JP 1800

There you go lads one for 12k (VAT included in that price). Not as aesthetically complex but functional. OPW can send my 10K consultancy check in the post.

https://www.pittman.ie/products/brooklyn-bike-shelter?variant=44519797096739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

These would have been more economical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It looks like about 30k.

*Disposal of dug out material.

*A few metres of concrete

*18 bike stands

*8 prefabricated columns with a cantilevered section welded to carry roof.

*Glazing or perspex sheeting on top and back.

It would have taken maybe a day's work for 2 men to dig out ground and remove off-site.

A few days of skilled work for maybe 3-4 men, digger/teleporter on site.

I'm struggling(and I'm no QS) to get north of €30k, say €50k because it's Dublin and €10k for oversight and sign off.

What was the other €275k for?

I'd love to see the QS's paperwork

I don't see any Dail or Seanad crests on that shelter so add e100,000 plus fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

5 of these yokes would do the same job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭POBox19

It’s all Eamon Ryan’s fault, he could’ve just taken his bike into the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

😅🤦🏻‍♂️ it’s this sort of crap continually happening that basically makes me think of my long term future away from this country because it’s really turning into an absolute basket case of a place ….and dangerously so.

Nice for anyone reading this on a hospital waiting list for a year with a condition requiring intervention, or waiting an hour for a Garda car following a break in or any one of the multitude of public services getting less efficiently attainable for citizens …… at least cyclists to and from Leinster House will have dry arses though, brilliant.

Bicycle seat cover in Halfords….waterproof, costs a tenner. But €335,000 of our money 🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

This 100%. Never any questions asked do things their way and that5s it. As always this will just disappear and be forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

How embarrassing will it be when the IMF are in again to sort this s#it out. It is immoral the way this government are spending public money.

It's 2008 all over again except this time the public debt is over 230 billion and your average joe is up to their necks in personal debt.

Thank God I don't intend being here when the " we are the wealthiest country in the world " comes crashing down. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder will they have a red carpet ribbon cutting ceremony to open it, get in outside caterers, champagne on arrival etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Raichų

this really isn’t acceptable at all. The attitude of them as well according to the indo

Asked about the costs involved, a spokeswoman for the OPW said: “The bicycle shelter is a new structure located within the setting of Leinster House, a protected structure of national importance.

“In response to the character of the historic setting a well-designed structure with an appropriate use of high-quality materials and finish were required.”

it’s a flipping bike shelter…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

You could apply this to any line of government spending but there was a news item on Friday about them cutting the amount they reimburse people who are travelling up north for cataract surgery.

Bad enough they can't get it done locally.

You'd get a fair few cataract operations done for the price of this bike shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

"The work ... upgrade ... core function of OPW ... does not require a business case"

The absolute arrogance of this statement is hard to take. Yet there was a headline in one of yesterday's papers to the effect that two-thirds of voters want this government to continue?

Is it me, or is there something amiss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Randycove

how the **** can they even begin to think that is justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Just as a comparison, it basically looks to be about the length of 3 or 4 of these with a few 'hoops' set into concrete -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The people benefitting from the scams are hardly going to want things to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/bill-of-335000-for-shelter-to-store-18-bikes-at-leinster-house-incredibly-expensive-eamon-ryan-says/a1502076818.html

"Asked for a copy of the scoping documents involved in the work, the Office of Public Works refused to provide them.

It said these had been prepared as part of a planning application and could not be released for “security reasons”."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,297 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is there a secret bunker underneath?

They could have put one in for that price.

Otherwise what possible security reaskn could there be... the security of someone's job and cushy contracts more like.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I start typing something I think sounds funny.....and then I delete it.

Coz this isn't funny. Not funny at all.

Coz my young adult kids are living with me, yet they want to be able to afford their own places.

And the price of the car of the lad that got the contract for this "canopy", could likely cover the cost of a place for them.

Someone, paid by us (taxpayers), signed off on this PO.

Someone sent in that quote, knowing someone would sign off on the PO.

This is brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No point the likes of Eamon Ryan moaning about it now that it's built.

The outrage should have been at the quote given to build it.

Indeed.

The OPW aka. The Commissioners of Public Works in Ireland are a law unto themselves.

Fiercely independent and proud of their history which predates the State going back almost two hundred years.

Maybe they have overstepped the mark this time and change will come but I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The entire Green movement was always about shifting money around.

This is just one last piss-take before the voters reject the madness in a few months (you would hope)

No business case needed as it comes under scope of "essential maintenance"!!!

Nice one, but no way. It is not "essential". A leaking roof, broken window or cracked wall repair is essential.

• Advertisement

Didn't they build a glasshouse in the grounds of Leinster House for €1,400,000 back around the time of the crash? I don't know if it was the OPW, but it was brushed under the carpet fairly quickly at the time, what with the world's cheapest bailout coming into being hot on its heels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

lots of schools have sheltered or unsheltered bike storage, and for a lot more than 18 bicycles. For hundreds of bikes. My old school has a mix of both.

You can be guaranteed that no school was offered a budget remotely approaching €335,000 for their set up.

I’d be grateful if the constituents of Dublin Bay South might have a look at themselves, and instead of enabling this individual to top the poll at the next GE… that instead they may show him the door, exit stage left, and away to obscurity where he will find himself not of the ability to exert such obscenities at the taxpayers cost…..

Here it is again…

18 bikes, shelter, €335,000…. Paid for by the taxpayers…. 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

running an RFP was probably €250k and the actual work still an exorbitant €85k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭riddles

the amount of waste is appalling in every department of government

• Advertisement

Good try but wrong target.

The minister with responsibility for the OPW is Kieran O'Donnell TD Fine Gael.

https://www.finegael.ie/our-people/ministers/limerick-city/kieran-odonnell/

Post edited by elperello on

Have another look at that link.

E Ryan welcomed the provision of a bike shelter last April.

Given his history in cycling you could say "he would wouldn't he".

Most likely didn't know the cost then either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

He has already announced his retirement so nobody will have the pleasure. This will be the last stain on his atrocious legacy..

….

Post edited by Andrea B. on

Yes, it was built to house a souvenir shop for visitors to Leinster House.

Currently disused.

This is par for course with the wimps and clowns we have in there ....how is it that there is no alternative options at this stage. They are making us cringe and embarrassing us on a daily basis.

It'll be up to the electorate in Limerick.

See post above.

In this case, it is my view that Eamon Ryan is a total idiot. Unless he has solid information as to the prevailing wind coming from the north in future, the bike shelter will be relatively useless on top of being very expensive, as in the photo it is open to our currently-prevailing southwest wind. I foresee wet saddles on all bikes kept in the shed on a frequent basis. And as current predictions are for more rain in the future, it's not a very good example of climate-change action at all at all.

I suspect you may have had a slightly jaundiced view of him to start with anyway 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

The absolute incompetence and arrogance of this is unbelievable. The government has disdain for the public and absolutely zero interest or respect for the citizens of this country .

When you look at the absolute shambles the country is in as regards , health , law and order , immigration , housing , public transport , tourism , cost of living , it’s soul destroying to think that we as a once proud people are probably going to vote these cretins back in again for another go at putting the nails in our coffin

• Advertisement
Advertisement