Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ticketmaster and dynamic pricing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The in demand algorithm is really quite simple. A range will be set by the promoter and as tickets sell the price creeps up. If too many people reject a particular price, then the demand price starts to fall. Demand pricing tries to find the correct market value for a ticket at a particular time.

So for example, we will say during a sale demand pricing is triggered, and prices rise to €300. All of a sudden people at the top of the queue stop buying and pull out. The price will then fall back to a level to where the ratio of buys to fails becomes acceptable.

As tickets continue to be sold, the market becomes aware of the scarcity and the price rises. The purchase to fail ratio changes too and also reflects the size of the queue remaining.

The only way to defeat demand pricing is a collective refusal to engage with it. That requires a level of organising which I doubt is possible these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Being logged into the site at 5am was no advantage. The waiting room opened at aprx 7.55am so everyone who clicked at that time went in at the same time.

How they randomly allocate who is placed where in the queue at 7.55am is the million dollar question.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

But the consumer is spending hours of their time and being kept in the dark as to what they’ll actually have to pay. If they do manage to get through the queue then they’re presented with obscenely high priced tickets and given a few minutes to decide whether or not to pull the trigger. Between the stress of it all, hype and fomo, it all seems designed to prey on fans and bleed them dry.

It’s a completely scummy practice that people shouldn’t be subjected to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I get it, you get it… but the average punter doesn't either want to have to understand that or even need to. It should be just like in the pubs where you see the price list on the door. No smoke and mirrors or fancy algorithms. Face-value of the bearer instrument (the ticket) should mean just that. Ticketmaster can't pick and choose how they want to run the sale and potential resale without oversight.

I think it is unfair that price information is withheld from the queue. All people have to go on regarding the state of the ticket market during a sale is social media, which really isn't good enough.

I think dynamic prices should be required to be provided in real time to the queue. I think this is something that promoters and acts would strongly resist. If the queue starts to collapse as prices increase then that takes away much of the pressure of making the purchase when presented with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭Fanirish

dynamic pricing only affects a handful of concerts out of hundreds if not thousands a year in ireland. It’s all getting overblown

Yes, quench the instantaneous demand would be a good idea, except there's a massive hole in this plan, and that's the bot accounts which is buying up tickets. Even if you could get the humans to agree to back-off, the bots would just attempt to snap up the tickets.

The solution here is probably the blockchain as a means of controlling all of this mayhem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Not if you had your heart set on going to one of said dynamically priced events and couldn't afford it in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No matter what "system" there is, the consumer won't know until they get to the top of the queue what price options are availabe (because lower priced tickets may no longer be available). They might know the tiered prices that MIGHT be available to them and MAY have had the chance to decide before hand how much they were willing to pay.

And again, the consumer is not forced into anything - they have the opportunity to decide/chose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

That's capitalism. Happening everywhere else in the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

Perhaps those who feel they have gotten a bad deal regarding ticket pricing, should attend the event and not spend money while there on such discretionary items as merchandize, food & drink ect.

Personally have no time for these nostalgia events and pension top up events for aged artists from the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Oasis must be the most over rated band in history.

Just because it can be identified as a component within an economic system doesn't make it ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

The main issue here is that Ticketmaster have a monopoly and should have been split years ago.

A big issue with this “dynamic pricing” is that it obfuscates the price of the event. A customer doesn’t know how much they will be spending until they commit hours of their morning in unreliable queues and only be given seconds to decide to buy. Ticketmaster know at the checkout stage that they have buy-in from the customer already and can throw any price at them.

Could the customer walk away when they see the inflated prices? Yes, they could. But they probably won’t as ticketmaster has made them commit so much time and effort already into getting the tickets.

Since everyone is given a different price for the tickets, it’s more difficult to complain about the prices as there is no one-figure that everyone can point at and say is too expensive.

It’s anti-competitive as a result.

As an aside, I have a mate who got to the end of the Oasis queue, was shown “dynamically prices “ tickets for 400 and decided not to buy. Out of boredom he refreshed the page and was shown tickets for 175e. More evidence that the system is a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭mgkelly

😮😨😕…you could raise some eyebrows over in the Oasis reunion thread…! 😉

• Advertisement

Again,

What is the alternative?

Oasis say they want 200 million net for the "tour" but only want to play 15 shows.

Budgets are done out and total cost of tour once all bill including artist is paid is circa 400 million which includes a healthy profit for all involved (not least the artis)

But wait maximum number of tickets that can be sold is 1.2 million (15 *80K).

Average ticket price is going to need to be 333 odd euro (lets just forget about the other income streams that maybe available via the concerts, merch, food drinks etc)

So, how to TM get to the point whereby this is the average ticket price - fair enough they cannot use dynamic pricing.

So they go back to tiered ticket prices, so many at 200 euro, more at 300 euro and more circa 400 euro, a more at 500 - with the ultimate average price being 333 Euro.

Everyone is happy in the chain.

So there is a price list on the door - it's expensive but its there - but the punter won't know until they come off the queue what tickets are going to be available to them - no matter how you do it.

That's the reality of what we have here.

At the end of the day the figures have to work for all involved. If they don't work, it doesnt happen, either for the artist, the promoter or ultimately the consumer. They have the ultimate decision on whether to pay that price - no one else, no matter how much regulation you add.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

Similar issue occur with long haul flights and airline websites, using different devices or login details ect can get vastly different prices for the same seats on the same flight.

I can see how this might happen - person a few hundred in the queue before your mate gets offered a ticket for 175 euro. The ticket is "locked" to their account until they complete the transaction. Decides 175 bucks is too much and cancels/timesout the transaction. Your mates queue ID is lucky enough to get the offer of that ticket on refresh - or something similiar - this things will happen with tiered pricing and so many folks in a queue - no matter the provider I would add.

Ticketmaster hasn't "Made" them do anything - they've, at every stage, made those decisions themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

At the rate things are going with ticket price inflation we may have to mortgage our homes to buy tickets for concerts in 10 years time !

Regulation can't come soon enough imo .

Right now in Ireland the small gig economy is healthy in Dublin anyway .. But that is not the case over in UK where these big giant concert venues and hyper groups are sucking the money and life blood out of the music business , with smaller venues closing down and less and less smaller groups playing gigs. UK has been hit worse than we have in the last few years and people just don't have a lot of spare cash to go to gigs .

If people are putting money aside for entertainment out of a tight family budget , one or two of these high priced big events might mean a cut for any smaller gigs or nights out that they may have gone to before .

This is what the greed of these gougers are bringing about , the demise of music industry , and exactly why people like Robert Smith and a few others, who could charge higher prices if they wanted to , are speaking up about it .

Disgusting that these bands who go for this quick money have the utter cheek to talk about working class roots as in the Gallaghers , or helping food banks as with Taylor Swift, when they are dismantling the fabric of the industry and making it difficult for fans and younger bands starting out , alike .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Oasis could’ve set a price limit, but they don’t care. They are cashing in big time. They want big money for very little shows and this has become the norm it seems. Just look at Adele in Munich.

Didn’t Ed Sheeran make sure prices were decent for his gigs? Garth Brooks tickets were 60 - 80 or something like that (I think). It can be done if the artist wants it to be. The fees need to be looked into though, that is a complete disgrace. Doubling the fees for the in demand tickets, wtf.

• Advertisement

Oasis say they want 200 million net for the "tour" but only want to play 15 shows. Average ticket price is going to need to be 333 odd euro (lets just forget about the other income streams that maybe available via the concerts, merch, food drinks etc)

That there is where it all clearly went wrong because Live Nation obviously stood up and said… "errum - the average ticket price for a stadium gig is 89 EUR, but with dynamic pricing and our monopoly of the market we can get you the average of 333 EUR".

You see if the opportunity hadn't been there in the first place to facilitate that request by the Gallagher brothers, then they would have been told to walk back their payment demands and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Capiche?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Ticketmaster made nearly 4 million from the service fees of the 4 Coldplay shows. That’s some amount of money when it’s just mobile tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ah yeah, poor Liam and Noel. Being frogmarched against their will into a dastardly scheme.

They were given a range of options to make their money and they and their management picked one.

It's been a long time since 89 bucks was the average price for a major stadium gig in Ireland.

That said, no matter how many companies are involved in the market - if those were the Oasis demands, those are the Oasis demands…………they came to the party from a position of power.

Your comment makes absolutely no logical sense. If the opportunity to sell tickets online wasn't there in the first place none of this would be relevant either. Capiche??

Look, I get that there is a massive dynamic there in terms of the net weight of the brothers reforming, but at the end of the day there is a facilitator within the equation who isn't being upfront or independent in their dealings with the public and are an established monopoly as well as a closed marketplace. That's the crux here and if there was better competition out there then Joe Public would be getting a better deal and a fairer hand dealt to them.

If you disagree with that then we have other issues.

Nobody saying they were "frogmarched "but their demands/requests were enabled with both parties getting what they want with least effort . And the only one getting screwed is the customer .

Both former parties were aware that this would be the case and they went for it .

Sure. But the ultimate blame lays with them who signed off on it.

Except some who got presale lottery tickets..

Well that's not true. Check the Oasis thread and you'll see a load of posters say they got regular priced tickets in the general sale, myself included.

There's an assumption that every ticket was sold under dynamic pricing which clearly wasn't the case.

Some few alright but pretty soon into it people were getting asked to pay the higher prices .

It will be interesting when / if TM actually give exact numbers alright .

You were lucky . But don't know why you and one or two others keep justifying this unacceptable greed .

If you had been asked to pay 425 for a standing ticket would you still be feeling so positive about it ?

I haven't justified it. Not once. I've called Oasis greedy for what they've done a least a dozen times.

I've no idea how you think that pointing out who is responsible for the greed and pricing is somehow justifying it. I suggest you carefully re-read what I said and then maybe you can retract that bullshït claim.

I paid for my face value ticket at 8.42am. So there were at least 42 minutes of people paying face value.

And no, I wouldn't feel happy about being asked to pay 425 for a standing ticket as it's way too high a price. I'd have walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭NiceFella

Lol both sport and gig atmospheres would then become sterile borefests. It would do a lot of harm for both industries

• Advertisement

I understand however I don't think the monopolistic nature of TM is a factor here. Ultimately they are just a platform for selling tickets that have a few features than can be turned on or off but at the end of the day the artist dictates the financial side of it. TMs main role is to work on behalf of its clients to get as many tickets sold as possible at a price point that the clients and consumers deem acceptable.

I don't think any other platform (and there are a few that come to mind) would work off any different a role so I really don't think that's as big a deal as is being stated.

Ultimately Oasis are the monopoly here. They set the prices, there's no competition for them. If you want to see Oasis you jump through the hoops that have defined and pay whatever price is presented to you at the final stage. Outside of possibly a few UI enhancements, maybe better traffic management/tech and perhaps less commission from both sides would there really be that much difference if there were more completion on the platform side had the artist made the same set of requirements for overall pricing?

Completely agree.

The problem is that these things are all being run by people who's eyes are on the bottom line.

Get as much money as possible. Fück the experience. You can already see it seeping into some events (e.g. International rugby in the Aviva)

Customers were “made” to sit through morning queues to find out what price the tickets were due to this “dynamic pricing”. Because of this anti-competitive system, there is no way for a customer to know the prices otherwise before they buy.

No body is 'made' to do anything. At any point you can decide not to partake.

Even with standard tiered pricing, where the prices are published prior to going on sale, the customer doesn't know what they will be presented with until they get to the top of the queue -you get this -right?

At this point, they will see and have the opportunity to accept or not, the various tickets that are left, the is whether you have standard tiered pricing or dynamic pricing.

The customer doesn't just hand over their card details, say 'Ill take whatever you have no matter the price' -the price they are paying os visible to them.....

I am not saying the behaviour of Oasis or Ticketmaster is moral or ethical however the consumer has many opportunities not to engage but unfortunately enough people seem to engage with the process for major gigs here over the past few years that it continues.

Yeah perhaps, it will really really harm sport in particular. Without a diverse following you are literally harming the future of the sport. Having ol lads in the stands yapping about balance sheets won't make a game interesting and having watched some of the rugby in the aviva in front of a flat atmosphere. It's like watching a game down the local club. With music, you have people who don't know the songs and wreck the atmosphere also.

I think the solution is fairly simple. Break up ticket master and bring some competition back to the consumer the way capitalism is supposed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Grey123

Point 2 is a very good one.

most of that goes to Coldplay and some to promoter! Coldplay will get anywhere between €2-4 of the ticketmaster fee

A well functioning market is one where a customer can quickly see the prices of a ticket from multiple vendors before deciding on which one to buy.

A failed market is where there is only one vendor. The customer has to sit through an indefinite length of time in a queue just to find out the price of a ticket, and only have a few minutes to make the decision to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The idea of showing the price range available live while queuing would help the consumer. Have it update every few minutes.

If you're queuing and you see the cheapest tickets are available at €80 you might be happy to stay in queue. If they go to €150 you might have a think, and if they go above €200 you might decide to pull out. But you have time to think and decide while still queuing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Why will you never just let people complain about ticketmaster? 😂

Dynamic pricing is not illegal, but that doesn't mean that it won't be in future for tickets.

Ticket touting was made illegal, and now Ticketmaster can do it right at point of sale.

And the millions of IP addresses is only for the recent massively hyped concerts, Ticketmaster has always had issues crashing for events that were much smaller than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Everyone will just log on when it opens then so that doesn't solve anything.

I also only found out that your position is the queue was random recently, previously I would always log on as soon as the waiting room opened.

It's not like it took any effort, log on, make a cup of tea etc, do something else in the meantime. You know ticket sales aren't starting until they're starting so it's not like you have to be glued to the screen.

What if the tickets are the same price from all vendors? €250 € 400 and 500 for example? This would be defined by the artist. Granted there might be fee differences to the artist and the consumer.

People are going to lose out when demand exceeds supply - and queuing is required in almost all high demand events - it's only when you get to the top of the queue you can see what tickets are left. For example, your queuing position means that there are only 400 and 500 euro tickets left when you get to the top of the queue. How long should you be given to make a decision to buy (bearing in mind others are queuing also)

A well functioning market definition depends on where you sit within that market.

This isn't gonna solve too many problems either - especially if you give people more time to complete their transaction. There will always be situations where this information won't be correct and people will no doubt complain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

One thing which I think could at least be considered in terms of regulation is the council should put in place a policy that for gigs to be licensed, all intended gigs need to be announced, or tickets put on sale, at the same time.

If you paid 400 quid for a ticket for 'one of the only two Irish gigs oasis will ever play again' (say - that's just for dramatic effect) and they decide to cash in by announcing two more shows - those extra licences could be denied?

I don't have an issue really with dynamic pricing because if you do, what you are really saying is that an artist should not be allowed choose the price of their art. That's something I don't agree with.

What I think needs to be improved is information to the buyer. If artists want their tickets to be fully market priced then they need to provide information on the state of the market throughout the sale. This includes the amount of unsold tickets and the current market price, updated at least every minute.

• Advertisement

Are people going to pay 400 euro for gigs on a regular basis? I highly highly doubt that. These gigs had mania and histeria written all over them. As I have said, there is no atmosphere at events full of rich people. I don't care what you say. People will see it as a money grab that really isn't worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AFAIK harvey norman aren't allowed advertise 'latest samsung 50 inch TV for €400' and then tell you when you get to the till that they put the price up because they were popular; but that's effectively what we're allowing ticketmaster to do with dynamic pricing.

dynamic pricing is effectively an auction in that sense.

I am speaking about large, in demand stadium type gigs where people will pay 400+ for a ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

IMO people conflate different issues and assign blame randomly. The process stinks to high heavens and everyone in this chain contributes to it.

On the ticket prices itself (regular and dynamic) there are 2 key factors: the artist and the promoter. The artist says "I need such and such money to come play at your city". Then the promoter says "it's gonna cost that much money to do the show and I want to make that much profit out of it" so they start calculating prices etc. In this part I think it is greed from the artist and the promoter. The whole dynamic pricing (as previously said) is because there are people that really want to go to the gig that can afford and are willing to pay the dynamic price. Thus the promoter can keep the majority of the tickets at a regular price (which is not cheap to begin with) and get the extra money from the dynamic prices. IMO so far Ticketmaster isn't to blame for the dynamic prices.

Two issues that TM are to blame.

First the extortionate fees. 10 euro minimum fee on each big concert ticket for what? What exactly do they handle? They are just a facilitator and do almost nothing. For a gig like Oasis, TM must have gotten 1.6 million euro (160.000 tickets x 10 euro) for doing nothing. Someone in another thread has said that this money are split between TM, promoter and artist - not sure if it is correct but I'll take their word for it. In my opinion, this is the one that governments etc need to go hard on TM.

The second (more minor) issue is that you only find the exact pricing only when you are ready to buy the ticket. I'm from Greece and old enough to remember before Ticketmaster where the promoters would advertise the prices before the tickets went on sale. Obviously dynamic pricing wasn't a thing back then but the promoter would clearly state if there was an early bird or that the first few tickets were cheaper etc. And the fees were reasonable. Not sure if anything can be done in this area.

but that won’t work. Promoters often hold extra dates and then deciding on how well the sales are going then announce the second night.
    promoters need the flexibility cause what if the first night is actually a slower seller. They decide not to do the second night as demand ain’t there. They lose millions as a result

• Advertisement
Advertisement