Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2024-25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The stuff from Sturridge during the Salah interview was wince inducing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Caustic

Tbf to keane he actually started that off by asking the question about how easy it was to get at united. Keane is about as good as you are going to get these days as sku have totally gone away from the tactical side of thing, when Neville and carragher were on Monday night football together it was good analysis and this often was brought into super Sunday debates but it's totally been shelved now and Roy Keane's the top level allowed.

Which is a shame given what Neville and carragher did is what made them the big name pundits they are, but even Neville himself watches feck all football these days which is probably why he comes out with so much nonsense.

Post edited by Caustic on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Keane is entertaining but his analysis doesn't go far beyond "they need to give it their all", "get stuck in", etc. No surprise that his managerial career petered out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yeah he definitely seems to have a better, more concise grasp of English than his compatriot too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Keane brought Sunderland from the foot of the Championship to the Premier league. I think he has a decent amount of managerial ability. Lots more than you or me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did he actually say he's not Harry Potter 😁

He has given some of the oddest interviews since he's joined United but I honestly can't remember has he ever taken the blame for the poor results because of his awful set up or inability to change a game when it gets away from United (bar calling a hailmary of McTominay grabbing a goal off the bench).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

To paraphrase the great Eamon Dunphy "a bluffer, a spoofer that fella"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

ETH seems to be a dead man walking. He's allowed Ruud to come in and from reading his body language and the fact he's an ambitious guy starting out on his own management career, probably has his eye on ETH job. He's now in season 3 at United, he can only blame everything and everyone else for so long, the rope is getting short I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Once ETH is sacked we'll spend 2 years hearing about how the new man needs to clear out the deadwood before he can be judged, that deadwood being everyone ETH bought.

Then the cycle repeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Saw this comment on BBC lol

I'm not Harry Potter? Not sure what he means, but he's sure made £500m+ disappear

• Advertisement

I expect ETH to be gone very, very soon. Being embarrassed by your biggest enemy at home is just too much after losing the week before.

He had a summer to sort things out and it looks like it's the same as they were. There's no excuse for the continuation of what went on last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

This is where Spurs are since season they reached CL final. United unlike spurs pick up trophies but feels like they have been in this position for 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

The most damning thing about ETH is that hes in his third year there and it’s still very difficult to see what kind of team he’s trying to build. When players come in, it’s difficult to see what impact they’ll make because there doesn’t seem to be a system he’s aiming for. At times they still look most comfortable being that counter attacking team Ole had built.

United definitely need a period of stability regarding a manager but it’s very difficult to argue that he’s the man for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Ironically, the FA Cup might very well have been a poisoned chalice as far as Man Utd are concerned, because two good performances there papered over a million cracks. Ten Hag gone at Christmas, and Ruud in, originally just as caretaker?

Post edited by jacool on

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

This is rather bizarre, its the type of stuff you hear from a manager who's taking over a struggling team half way through a poor season. Not one who's starting his 3rd full term in charge and has spend £616 million on his squad, yes £616m!!!

He seems completely incapable of accepting any form of responsibility for the disorganised mess his team resembles every 2nd week. There's no way that statement can fly within the powers that be at UTD, it's absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Richard Keys weighs in on the Rice red card, quoting a WWE Hulk Hogan tribute video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Clubs shouldn't hire/fire a manager based on one result. It's way too reactionary and devoid of clear thinking because emotions are high. It's well known that INEOS wanted to sack ETH in the summer, but they bottled the decision because of emotions.

For all the talk of the new top class footballing structure being put in place, they have got the first big decision horribly wrong and I think they can as good as right off the league campaign this season with ETH at the helm, even at this early stage. The alarming signs were there from January onwards last season, let alone the warning signs for the months before that. Scraping wins or draws after being outplayed was a regular feature. Conceding 20+ shots every game etc. But it's too late now to bring someone in to make a good run of the season and achieve something as the new manager will want his players, time to implement his new system etc. They need to get the new manager decision spot on and then stick with him for a(nother) year 0 and manager cycle.

Overloading the squad with defenders this summer suggests to me that those in charge might be looking towards a different manager who prefers a 3 at the back system, as ETH does not. They spent €45m and €62m on 2 CBs this summer when at least one of them isn't even going to start every week in ETHs system. Zirkzee would suggest a change in direction too to me as he is a bit more of a 10 than a 9, but Bruno and Mount are the dedicated 10s in ETHs system.

Maybe writing off this year gives that new structure time to get settled into the club and get the smaller issues ironed out. They really need to prove that they are top in class, but also do it while having some PSR restrictions and won't have the appeal of CL football either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I actually think United were quite a bit improved in the first two games compared to similar games last year. Mount and Fernandes as false 9s or 10s was working well and they were creating plenty of chances and they had a clear plan and direction.

Not sure I rate Zirkzee yet but goals came when he came on, and tbh it was a bit of a freak that Garnacho/Zirkzee incident didn’t result in a goal v Brighton, and that would have been 6 points out of 6.

Overall their players are miles below the level of City, Liverpool, Arsenal. I don’t think ETH had any significant input into signings this summer, so I doubt a new manager would have got any better results/performances this season. ETH did try and wean Casemiro out at the end of last season, but he’d no option but to play him this season when they couldn’t get rid of him and they did get rid of McTominay against ETH’s wishes it seems and it’s taken an age to get Ugarte in

United fans giving him a load of abuse for not taking off Rashford. But Garnacho was every bit as bad, and Rashford’s cross for the Zirk header was the single piece of top quality that any United player showed.

Just to be clear, I am not defending signings ETH was involved in during his first two seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I think what Southgate would offer would be defensive stability which utd absolutely need.

He'd set them up to not concede which would give their attack some chance of winning a game of football.

I think he would get more out of that team than Ten Haag would as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

ten Hag getting the dreaded vote of confidence from the utd CEO tonight.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I think anyone proposing Southgate as new United manager has to be trolling! I'd personally love it and could see Big Jim deciding he's the best of British. Southgate would be so far out of his depth at the shitshow that is United.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Lauras Law

Do you at least have a source/link you could provide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Caustic

When he was trying to buy into united one of the sticks used to beat him by the Saudi supporters was that big jim is/was a brexiteer. And people just kinda assume he wants everything British at united, which of course is nonsense when you look at the hirings behind the scenes, but it was a popular narrative on social media so its true now.

• Advertisement

Thanks for providing those. So despite what the other poster said, the Man United CEO in fact did not come out tonight and give ten Hag "the dreaded vote of confidence".

ETH doesn't look good at United but he's a hell of a lot better than Southgate ever was or will be. It's that simple.

There's loads of managers out there, short termers like Tuchel and maybe Allegri. You've got Conceicao and Terzic too. Southgate is a horrendous manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

While the quotes are from before the Liverpool game, I would think that if the feeling had really changed at the club they would have quitely requested those quotes be dropped. Maybe the couldn't/wouldn't do that - but I would think if you are now discussing if you should sack him, you wouldn't want 'we fully back him' to be hitting the papers just days before you announce you are parting company.

Thats a regular occurrence though. It's known as the dreaded vote of confidence for a reason, and that's because a lot of managers get the boot shortly after it.

I agree, somewhat, but would argue after the vote of confidence you need to fail more before getting the boot. My point is I don't think EtH is going to be sacked in this international break, based on these comments coming out.

Whether he lasts to the next one is a different matter.

• Advertisement

He won't last past Spurs and Villa unless there is a miraculous improvement between now and then. If he loses either of the two games before then I expect he'll be gone immediately after the loss.

I'm surprised he's not gone yet. Losing at home in such embarrassing fashion to your biggest rival is the perfect time to pull the trigger.

If INEOS are ruthless, maybe.

But I reckon he will get enough wins and results to stumble on unless INEOS are ruthless.

Realistically we COULD beat Southampton and Barnsley, get a result vs Palace, beat Twente - and then things aren't looking doomsday going into the Spurs (H) - Porto (A) - Villa (A). We could then realitically lose all 3 of them and he is back under pressure and that could see him sacked. But does a draw vs Spurs at home buy him enough rope to last defeats in the next two? If he survives that lot we go Brentfornd (H), Fener (A), West Ham (A), Chelsea (H). I could see him getting 2 wins a draw and a defeat there. Is that enough to keep it stumbling along? Then it is Leicster at home and POAK at home. Should be two wins heading into the international break and are things turning around for him?? (lol).

IMO he should have been sacked in the summer. He should be sacked today. But he has a habbit of doing *just* enough to save his bum every time.

I'd like to think INEOS will be ruthless, but the fact EtH is still manager indicates they either don't have the courage to sack him or they can't afford to sack him. I can't honestly believe they think he is the man for the job going forward, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Headline on today fm sports news at 8:30 was Ten Haag receives dreaded vote of confidence from United executives. Whoever said that didn’t happen should sue Dennis O Brien !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Don't think anyone is saying it didn't happen. The issue being discussed is 'when'. The original poster indicated 'last night', after the Liverpool game. However it seems to have been Saturday night, before that game, but only released now.

There were articles around the time of his percentage takeover that he wanted to target the best of British throughout the club. Dan Ashworth came in, Wilcox came in, Brailsworth came in, McKenna was interviewed for the job and links to Southgate refuse to go away. They are all key positions within the football structure.

No major British signings were made, but there were very public bids made for Brantwaithe at the start of the summer. That didn't go through, so Yoro/De Ligt were signed instead.

At board level, Blanc and Berrada also came in. For the managers job, Tuchel was also interviewed. There's literally no pattern of Ratcliffe only wanting to bring in the best British people.

You mentioned the articles when the takeover happened. Those articles said Ratcliffe wanted to implement a 'buy British' transfer policy. You're trying to back that up with the fact that the club bid for Brantwaithe this summer. If they were only buying British, why didnt they move onto someone like Guéhi when the Brantwaithe deal didnt happen?

The fact is, United signed 6 players this summer and not one of them is British. Anyone who would still try and push this narrative that they club want to target the best of British throughout the club clearly have their own agenda.

Also just to add, the 4 biggest sales out of the club this summer (if you include the Sancho obligation fee) were British players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Get out of here with your logic and facts. They have no place in a discussion involving Manchester United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

As much of an omnishambles that United have been in recent years, even they would know that Southgate would be a dreadful appointment.

He’s never been successful in club management and has consistently failed internationally with arguably the most talented squad in the world, playing dour football and showing himself to be tactically limited.

No serious club will be anywhere near him.

So are you disputing that there was articles saying he wanted to implement a British structure and/or recruitment policy? As it sounded like you were.

I was on the side of ETH getting another year because I looked at the performances of every previous manager under the same regime since Ferguson retired and world class players have continuously failed to perform there. I felt there was something upstairs causing the problems.

He got the extra year starting with another summer under a new regime to get things sorted but it's blatantly obvious already that nothing has changed so he has to go now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

You might want to read your own posts and theirs again. They never disputed that articles existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I don't think anyone should concern themselves with what Ratcliffe says, because in the end, he is only interested in himself, and can twist and turn in the wind, to suit his own agenda. The man who weighed in hugely behind Brexit, now finds himself living in Monaco while INEOS build vehicles in France and Austria. Their biggest manufacturing site in Britain is Grangemouth, and just before Christmas it was announced that Petroineos, the owner of the refinery, intended to cease operations there by 2025, putting all 400 jobs at risk. If he identifies Ten Hag as a risk to his investment, which he looks like, he won't last too long and the board will thanks him for the job he has done, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

There’s absolutely no way UTD offer the role to Southgate. Could you imagine the circus involved around him getting it? He would be a dead man before he even sat in a dugout.

I think Amorim at Sporting is the best candidate, obviously as lot less profile of a rebuild, but there’s a lot of similarities to the situations at Sporting and UTD when he took over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Great news for Leicester, they’ve won their PSR appeal against a points deduction.

It’ll be pretty funny if they still end up going down.

That's a really poor effort at deflecting from the fact that you had no comeback to the points I made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Screenshotting your own post to prove a point? Jesus, it's just a discussion forum, not the International Court of Human Rights. Get over yourself FFS.

mod: warning applied to this post

Post edited by DM_7 on

Southgate is now the favourite to be the next permanent utd manager. I'd be surprised if that happened.

That Dortmund manager, Allegri even Tuchel would be much better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Utd seem to be in circus mode much of the time, looked from the outside looking in that ETH was going to be sacked until they beat City in the FA Cup final. After 3 games into a new season with new players recruited under their ownership, it is not very likely that his job is in danger.

I am not a Utd fan though it would be interesting to know what a reasonable season for them would be, think this is his 3r year - top 4 & a cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Minimum expectation I had (as someone that didn't want to see him sacked) is CL qualification and a significant uptick in performances.

Of the three games we've played thus far,we were favourites in one of them (Fulham) and won (should have won by more) and betting underdogs in the other two which we lost. We should have at least gotten a draw at Brighton but didn't. Is it acceptable for a team of Uniteds stature to be underdogs against a team of Brightons stature? No, but it is where we are currently.

Last Sunday was a shytshow. We were actually doing OK until Casemiros first faux pas and after that the heads completely went. There is a very soft underbelly across the team so unless the manager can redress that then he probably won't see Christmas.

Advertisement