Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yes, what Hamas did was pure evil, but it is mostly innocent civilians who are paying the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

A price that Hammas was more than willing to submit to, and will pay more.

I don't really care what your name is, just read out the weather/traffic news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Never thought of it this way, but you might be on to something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,885 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

and Bilbao, they’ve one top four finish in the last twenty years so it’s not exactly serving their purpose.

Like Bohs, they are not doing it on the pitch, but colossal efforts off it to get involved in politics and social carry on to levels that shouldn’t concern them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

So what? It's sport, not real life. You'd swear every club except the league winner is irrelevant

Lads, I find the animosity towards seeing an organisation with principles, fascinating. Why would someone else having principles make you cross?

To be fair to Bilbao, their ethos is ingrained in the club, throughout their history. Not like Bohs, where it's a modern invention.

Can't really compare the 2 clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,045 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Isn’t it obvious? They have the “wrong” principles.

If they were banging an “anti-“ drum there wouldn’t be much complaining, except about the crappy performances which would be blamed on the manager/players.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Yvonne007

Completely untrue.

I know from my OH that football clubs, especially local football clubs are a community. Their community means the world to them and they are made up of all types of people with various outlooks on life but with one definite thing in common; their club. They could disagree on everything, but they all turn up and get along because they love their team.

When a club puts out a statement like "Refugees Welcome" or even if they said "Refugees Not Welcome" it reflects on its supporters. Some people won't share those values but feel like they are being tarnished by being involved with the club. A club they have invested time, energy, money and emotion into; in most cases, since they were children.

It's different with a club that was founded on those values, but for a club to suddenly take such a definitive stance on a particular issue which has polarising opinions does a disservice to the people who are dedicated to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,543 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So I guess the only way Israel has to make sure it won't be attacked again is kill all Palestinians? Esp the kids, well if they get polio they won't be able to hold a weapon properly anyway, but yeah gotta murder them kids, they could still carry a rocket launcher even with a limp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭cms88

Few things are more annoying than the bleeding hearts of hostility owners we hear every second week in recent times.

It's all just take take take by them and they're still never happy.

I seen a post recently claiming pubs are only making something like .17c profit per pint. Trying to claim over a euro of the cost goes on wages! You'd have to admire their confidence to post something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Any ceasefire that leaves Hamas in power afterwards would be unbelievable. Such a ceasefire would vindicate Hamas’ actions on Oct 7.

If you support a ceasefire but not the eradication of Hamas then you are a Hamas supporter and you disgust me.

Hamas could end the war tomorrow. They could surrender and return the hostages.

Yes I agree. Going back to the October 6th apartheid by isreal and Hammas would almost certainly lead to violent resistance in the future.

Whether it's Hammas in power or not is irrelevant. There will either be a new group to replace them or the Palestinian people will live in an ever shrinking part of the land until they're successfully ethnically cleansed.

The only way they might get peace for both groups is if there's a settlement with equality for both groups.

In this settlement of yours - what do you think that the Palestinians would be happy with?

What is their line - if we get to X we will never engage in war/terrorism again??

I don't know. It's never been tried before. I suspect it would take years or decades of negotiation to settle. I wouldn't have a clue how to settle it in a single post.

Do You have a plan for a lasting peace that you could sum up in a post?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

The Catholic Church has held back the Irish sense of humour.

Speaking as a none native who has been around the country a lot, and rubbed shoulders with Irish people from various walks of life. I am let with the overwhelming disappointment in how pedestrian the Irish humour is.

Father Ted was the only decent comedy that this land had created, and that was way back in the 90's, and since then nothing has come even close to that as the pinnacle of Irish comedy.

Clever word play may win debates, but it doesn't make it true.

I’m not asking you to solve anything.

I’m asking “what would keep the Palestinians happy?”

They have been offered a two state solution previously- but that wasn’t enough.

The problem might be that the Palestinians want it all - “from the river to the sea!”. Thus, every inch you concede to them is an inch closer to their ultimate goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭csirl

I don't agree with the proposed Two State solution to the Palestine/Isreal situation.

All it will serve to do is polarise people into one extreme or the other. We in Ireland are very acutely aware of the dangers of polarising people who live close together on ethnic/religious grounds i.e. Northern Ireland pre-Good Friday Agreement.

Whatever number of States there are to be in the region - whether its 1,2, 10 or 100, they need to be secular democracies where everyone has equal rights.

I don't think "Irish humour" works well in a scripted format. The most humourous conversations and experiences I have had were all off the cuff and I think that a lot (way over-representational) Irish people have a quite unique way of being spontaneously funny, and so offensive that it's inoffensive.

I don't think the Catholic Church has held back Irish sense of humour. In fact, I think our previous reliance and trust in the Catholic Church and the acceptance of how bizzare that was was the catalyst of our humour and definitely the reason we have Father Ted.

The majority of comedies that we love and revere wouldn't be made in the modern day due to the insistance to bow down to so-called progressive people. Even one half of the duo that wrote father ted is no longer available due to his opposition of trans-ideology (also the IT crowd was fantastic, and the one involving a trans character is comedy gold).

The seemingly agreed (and hugely flawed) idea that "punching down" is a thing is the most elitist, racist idea I have seen, but it championed by people who are pretending to be the opposite.

so sorry tldr; Irish comedy, as presented on TV is pedestrian, but I do think that Irish people, as a whole, are one of the wittiest people in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Greyfox

For Israel to stop taking land that Palestinians are already using in return for peace. Israel also want it all and eventually they will have the whole state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

What the Palestinians really want is to dissolve the state of Israel and send all Jews somewhere else (preferably the after life).

Oh FFS. You don't wany to know what settlement they should reach, you just want to know what settlement they should reach...

I said night don't know any of the specifics. I could make somenup if that's what you want.

The basic elements they will have to have are similar to everything else that gets settled. They'll need a country, independance and equality and the ability to defend itself. It'll also need backing from the West and I presume they'll have to do a civil war between the hardliners and the western backed government who accept the agreement. The usual. But I don't have any specifics.

You didn't say whether you have a neat solution to the whole issue

Controversial opinion

I actually admire the brazen stubbornness of Enoch Burke. He's willing to be imprisoned for his belief. It's just a shame the is so twisted by religion and bigotry that he's totally misdirected.

If he Was fighting for anything worthwhile, he's the kind of person who gets things done in history ala Rosa Parks. Willing to stand against the whole system, even though he knows it can crush him.

And he's a non-violent protestor. Which I admire. Shame he's wasted on anti-trans nonsense.

The Palestinian territory keeps getting smaller and smaller. And when they fight back it's evidence that they're trying to get rid of the Jews. They're getting ethnically cleansed in real time, and being accused of ethnic cleaning.

The lack of thinking is astonishing sometimes.

• Advertisement

I don’t have a solution because I believe that there will never be a middle ground compromise. The Palestinians will keep coming looking for it all (with Iran’s backing). The stronger they become after peace talks, the more they can gain in the next round down the road. They seem to be playing a very long game at the expense of their own people.

I'm on about all types of humour, not just written, nor visualz bit all forms of comedy. With the groups I have worked with through my 2 decades of living in Ireland, it has been the English, The Danish, the Portuguese, and the French I have had the most laugh with. The average Irish humour is very lacking I find, it has no bite, no teeth to it.

Not quite, Irish cast, and Irish writers. ot was funded by Channel 4, and from that got a big boost of popularity... which it deserves.

One state, one wall and let their sky daddy pick his favourite.

• Advertisement

Perhaps. I would guess that is because over the last while the Irish have been afraid to offend. More than often our humour came from offending.

Another bleed-in from american culture where it's frowned upon to make fun of people. The punching down/privilege bullshit that automatically shows that you feel that if you aren't a minority you are somehow superior and can't speak ill of the lower people.

It was better a while back. Now it's full of attention seeking tiktok/insta clout-seeking brigade trying to latch onto the next outrage of the day

Those saying us Irish aren't funny obviously haven't seen Alison Spittle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,885 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

not cross 😉 and sport is real life, real people, playing, running and supporting…..you support a team, in any sport, you invest time, effort money and emotion in doing so. You’d like that the team and club and indeed supporters to prioritise making decisions that enable sporting success, above everything and not get their heads all fogged up. Principle is organising, to win, in every elite sport that’s the case. ⚽️🏆

Fair enough.

The status quo is Israel doing exactly what you're accusing the Palestinians of doing, with the West's backing.

Not even worth trying a middle of the road solution with equality for both parties, according to yourself. I think that's the only solution, or else Iran or The west backs one to ethnically cleansed the other. I can't speak for you but I dislike ethnic cleaning so I think the we should at least try then only and obvious solution before declaring the situation unworkable.

we've tried backing the Isrealies to ethnically cleanse the Palestinians for decades and it's going well in one sense as the Palestinian territories have shrunk over the decades. Maybe you can take comfort in that? I'm not a huge fan.

The communities and cultures of a club are real and very important to society. The on pitch stuff is the least important part, in my opinion. It's not real life, it's an escape from real life for me as a fan.

It's real for the hundred or so people who work for the club as a career, so its real liife for them, but I'm not employed in a sports club.

I look forward to the matches, speculate on team selection and performance etc. And after the match I go back to living my actual real life. How do you do it, as a fan?

Ye gods, I've seen more comedy in a orphanage mass shooting news coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,489 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

That last statement is a load of nonsense to be fair. You couldn't possibly have enough information to make that assumption. Nobody could.

I find Irish comedy very one dimensional/one paced compared to the Brits.

I think we have a good sense of humour without being funny ourselves, generally. It doesn't translate at all to other cultures.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

I find comments by liberal non Brexiteer British people on things far far wittier than what Irish people come up with. Irish commenters consider themselves a hoot coming up with lines like "Something something gubbermint/the Dail" or calling Michael Martin "mehole".

Irish people in a pub would laugh and make fun of someone coming in wearing anything other than athleisure, jeans, or GAA gear combo. Hyuk hyuk look at this lad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I'm fed up with all these TD's (we're seeing them today) who get indignant about catholic church abuse.

Fact is they are in a position to fix things and yet you never see them proposing legislation to fix thing i.e religious tax, asset seizure, tax on religious property.

Norma Foley for example coming out today and suggesting the religious orders should do the right thing and pay compensation or Mick Barry suggesting all relgious orders should be removed from schools.They could actually do something to make sure this hapens and they've done nothing despite being in the Dáil for donkeys years.

They are in a position to do something but they'd rather grandstand than doing anything constructive, it's pathetic.

I think the abuse is indicative of what Irish society was like and there was a sort of symbiotic relationship between society and the church, and wider society's blame is getting lumped in with the church.

It seems like there was a class system in operation, certain professions were seen as untouchable: politician, guards, teachers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Suckler

A lot of people wouldn't reward/recognise them for it and it could well cost them their job.

It should be a, long overdue, watershed moment (amongst others) to remove the religious element from our education system.

Which shows how sleazy politicians are and why most are worthy of nothing but contempt.

You don't do it because you get rewarded for it, you do it because it's the right thing to do.

I agree with that.

Fact is the reason the church had so much power and abused it is because people allowed them to have that power.They weren't armed so they weren't difficult to stand up to if people wanted (there are examples of people standing up to the church and them being fairly powerless to do anything).

People love blaming the church and the church only because they don't want to face up to the fact that their parents grandparents and great-grandparents were in a lot of ways every bit as cruel as the church were.

I accept that the church played a role in brainwashing people but even taking that into consideration there was some outright cruelty that people put up with in their own lives just because the church said it was a good thing that clearly was inhumane.All the women that were sent into mother and baby homes could easily have been helped out by their own parents/the father of the child but they just let it happen,that's a form of cruelty that is indefensible in my opinion and perpetuated by the families of those women not caring enough (for whatever reason) , its inhumane to allow your daughter to be treated like that yet it happened constantly.

A grand-aunt of mine was forced to give up her baby by my great grandmother when my great grandmother could easily have allowed her to keep it and if she wanted to avoid gossip just pretend it was her own child, but she forced her to give up the baby.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

I can accept that people were afraid to go against the all powerful church, but it can't be blamed for everything. Apart from the abuse and the single mother issue, the thing that sticks in my head is the attitude to left handed people. Obviously I'm not belittling the other things, but how could something as mundane as being left handed warranted some of the attitudes back in the day. I remember seeing an interview with someone who was abused in some kind of juvenile center, the reason he was sent there was because he was left handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Deregos.

My dad was ciotóg. B. 1927, they use to try and beat his left handedness out of him with 'the strap' or they would tie his left arm behind his back to encourage him to use his right . . no . . of course it didn't work.

God love the poor little souls who may have suffered with dyslexia back then, what they must've suffered at the hands of those narrow-minded, violent lunatics.

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

Stony silence from normally noisy rural independents, am I right?

Can't be pissing off the pensioner vote.

Ah, shur everyone was happy back then. They didn't know any better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Enoch Burke: the thing that I find disturbing about it is that whether he wants to or not he has to be prepared to sacrifice himself for this because that’s what his family does. I’m sure his parents had a word at some point and said, “Enoch, you have to be prepared to go all the way here, there are no half measures, even if that means going to prison you have to stand up for your beliefs.” He probably believes this himself also, but can’t go against his family either. And I’m sure he didn’t have a pleasant time in prison, I mean look at him. They’re like the Irish Westboro Baptist Church.

Israel and Palestine: Israel has a right to defend itself? Palestine has the right to defend itself.
    There needs to be a two state solution because that’s the only way Palestine can control their own borders instead of having the Israeli Army do it for them. Controlling your own borders is the first step towards controlling your destiny. There will never be a moderate peace plan because on both sides the narrative is controlled by hardliners who have long ago settled into extremely entrenched intractable positions. The only thing that’s gonna end the Israel Palestine conflict is if an international army invades and takes over security and defence. The Israeli army have shown over many decades that they are incapable of not committing atrocities against Palestinians. But I wouldn’t be too hopeful because no western army would agree to invade Israel and no nonwestern country would care enough to do so.

Advertisement