Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

In the latest episode of follow the money, I mean "ground breaking research", Trinity welcomes Professor Karen Wiltshire (62) as first CRH Chair of Climate Science. That's worth about ~€150-170K salary. The activists in history and political science are not impressed by who her sponsor is. Her appointment ticks all the right boxes, those at the top of the Irish establishment know which side their bread is buttered.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭gossamerfabric

https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/teure-und-ineffiziente-klimaschutzmassnahme-102.html

Who would have guessed that practically giving away access to public transportation for near or near free doesn't reduce pollution to any great extend and just incentivises usage to the detriment of punctuality and availability for those who need it.

Germany had a €9 monthly ticket and now has a €49 ticket.

"Expensive and inefficient climate protection measure”

According to a study, the 9-euro ticket for local public transport was an expensive and inefficient climate protection measure."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,207 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I believe I have provided verifiable sources and data here for anything I have posted.

Not only have your posts consisted of nothing more than vague ramblings, you have now wandered off to join the tin hat brigade believing the Irish Times, (and other mainstream media), fabricated a story on Ireland having to pay fines for emissions exceeding the E.U. 2030 targets and credited it to Eamon Ryan, who for some unexplain reason hasn`t denied it or looked for a retraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Here is EPA outlining in details how we are on path to wildly miss the 2030 targets

But like I mentioned before, achieving CO2 reduction is not the goal

The actual goal is to fleece the Irish public and funnel insane profits to foreign investors who are counting on our stupidity and “first world white man green guilt” , and that is being done quite well

Points at our ever increasing energy and carbon costs and taxes without coming close to meeting the set goals

Ryan and crew, like every other thing they touch, hadn`t a clue as to how much their bike palace would cost so everything else was put on hold until the final bill for it came in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Fair play to the energy sector. Those "extension leads" to foreign shores sure are playing a big part in reducing emissions from the sector in 2023. Demand though still grows beyond the rate the renewables are added. Transport emissions continue to rise, and aviation set a new record too in 2023.

https://www.thejournal.ie/energy-emissions-falling-faster-than-ever-but-not-enough-to-hit-climate-targets-seai-6477117-Sep2024/

interesting statistic there

Home solar produces; 0.18 TWh

Datacenters use: 1.06 TWh

For all the hoopla about home solar carpeting the rooftops now, the production figure is miserly

These energy reports are becoming nothing more than someone doing their own SWOT analysis on a proposal for funding. Pad it out with strengths and opportunities while hoping nobody notices the weakness and threats.

2023 we consumed 30.5 TWh of electricity of which 3.7 TWh was imported. An increase of 135% compared to 2022. (Source : CSO).

That 3.7 TWh was just over 12% of what we consumed and a third of what wind provided. It`s a smoke and mirrors exercise on emissions as well as on our energy security, and not surprising that the U.K. are getting angsty over our imports.

They seem to have the dagger out for data centers over that increase of imports, but it was not all due to data centers. 20% of those imports were for domestic consumption.

Them electric cars and heat pumps won’t charge themselves you know, and apparently the tiny amount of domestic rooftop solar won’t either

O.6% of the electricity we consumed was provided by home solar.

• Advertisement

The report I linked again mentions moves to EVs and heat pumps. But nothing about where the power for that switch will come from. It really is a pisstake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭deirdremf

0.4 TWh which would have left an imbalance of 3.3 TWh (11% of our total consumption) which doesn`t bode well for our energy security or our own generation abilities when we are presumably only importing electricity when we need it.

Either that or we are importing it in a smoke and mirrors exercise on emissions.

Nothing to write home about: https://grid.iamkate.com/

See recent comment from the UK, they are not depending on generation from Ireland. Depends on price, sometimes its economical to export electricity to the UK generated in Ireland by burning the gas they ship via the Moffat line.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭ps200306

Here's the SEAI news release on that 2023 Energy Balance report:

Our fall in emissions is attributable to imports:

Reductions in emissions from the electricity sector last year were notable, mainly driven by increased use of imported electricity supply across our interconnectors with the UK, and increased renewable energy generation from wind and solar here in Ireland. Provisional data for 2024 indicates this trend is continuing, suggesting a 17% reduction in electricity related emissions for the first half of the year. 

Residential fossil fuel use fell last year but is increasing this year:

Residential use of coal, peat, oil, and natural gas for heating and hot water all dropped in 2023, and the amount of renewable energy used in Irish homes from heat pumps increased by over 30%, albeit from a low base. Provisional 2024 data however suggests a return to growth in gas and oil for home heating, which could see the gains made in 2023 reversed. Industrial and services sector gas use is also up in the first half of 2024. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,260 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When the tale of permanent heatwaves in this country becomes a busted flush, tell the peoples the country could freeze over…

Usual AMOC fear uncertainty doubt (FUD) by people messing with dodgy computer model outputs. . If he wants to use bad computer model outputs, Minister Ryan should stick to inserting bicycle paths in SimCity.

Modelling of the Amoc is difficult because it is influenced by a variety of complex ocean and atmospheric forces and we need to do a lot more monitoring to better understand what is happening. source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is just more of the same head in sand type stuff to be hones.

Of course there are materials involved in the renewable process that are finite, but so too are materials used for the same purpose in fossil fuel use. Or are the pipes and pumps and drills and rigs somehow made of some regenerative material none of us have been told about?

And talking about the number of sites as being finite is absolute BS at this point in the conversation. When we are drilling and extracting oil in the middle east and pumping and transporting it around the world for use, talking about the limitations of renewables is a long way from being a reasonable factor.

Have you heard the term 'all things being equal'. What it means is that you exclude from the conversation elements that are applicable to both sides of the argument so in that context infrastructure cannot be used to undermine the argument for one when the same infrastructure is required for the other.

I'm at a loss as to why so many people want to argue against their own best interests (and that of their descendants) to support an industry which while we all use, is harmful in many ways and we would all be much better served in finding an alternative for it.

I tell you what

You tell us 1. The cost and 2. how much concrete, steel, aluminium and rare earths 37 GW of offshore wind and the infrastructure to support this would need, where 2/3rds are floating kind with a lifespan of 20 ish years

And I tell you the cost of single nuclear plant (2-3x the lifespan) and materials that would require that can do same job

I am at a loss why would anyone argue for them benefit of Chinese industry whom realised they can pollute and emit all they want in China and then sell back greenwashed equipment back to people on west who seem to fail to grasp we share same planet

A - I'm not arguing for Renewable wind etc as a catch all picture perfect never again look at it solution. I'm arguing against the trite dismissal of those solutions in favour of continued use of fossil fuels.

B - I'm in favour of Nuclear as a concept, but concerned about the risk of poor implementation that may lead to disaster occurrences, but that is a concern I would be happy to see mitigated with proven design and implementation input.

C - The 'Chinese' angle on this discussion is something I have no interest in being dragged in to. In an ideal world something like the Paris accord and the likes of the UN would bring countries together for the greater good, we're along way from that (and not just because of the Chinese) but it is more of a political discussion than a Green policies one so I'm not going there on this thread.

• Advertisement

Good debate 👍

Re A. The problem is the ramming of renewables down the throats not only will hit the physical reality of these being highly intermittent with insane storage costs needed to remedy, but is already doing so

Building more renewables doesn’t solve the problem either as 10x of zero is still zero and quite often our 6.5GW and whatever solar is close to zero, wind can’t displace more than 30-40% of fossil use without insanely expensive storage and solar is only 10% displacement

Unless we build some nuclear in this country we will continue to use fossil fuels as backup for renewables forever, if I were running a fossil fuel company I be laughing at how those who push solar and wind ensure their business continues

We are in position where those shouting the loudest about climate change are actively ensuring the problem is not solved

B. Half of our EU member states do this (and already emit a fraction of our CO2 without expensive adventures into renewables lalaland), Ireland is not somehow special, leave the science and engineering to scientists and engineers

C. But it needs to be discussed, we are in bizzare situation where the touted solutions to “global” climate change is to move the pollution elsewhere in the same globe, out of sight out of mind greenwashing

Or importing electricity which could have been made by coals and counting it as green, or burning wood from rainforests that are trucked half way across country and counting that as green

Stop the daftness!

Have you heard the proverb " cut your coat according to your cloth" ?

We currently have a design that nobody can, (or are afraid to tell us), how much cloth we would need for a coat that would be a size 10 rather than the size 14 needed, and would have to be worn with a hydrogen tank attached.

I don`t see that anybody here is saying we should just continue to use fossil fuels regardless of emissions. Far as I can see posters are pointing out that the current wind/hydrogen plan is not just so insanely expensive that it would bankrupt the state, would not provide the generation required too the extent that by 2050 we would still be using the same amount of fossil fuels to generate electricity we are using today, and would still have us paying one of the world`s highest prices for electricity.

Wait now, it's been the coldest summer since 2015 so we're on the right track. Despite emissions being well over budget. How is that possible?

https://www.met.ie/climate-statement-for-summer-2024

A - You are arguing for a wind plan that would see no other alternatives looked at until 2050, where we would still be using the same volume of fossil fuels we are presently using and by which time we would be so financially indebted we could not even afford to look at alternatives let alone implement them. That to me is mainly what is driving this insane Green Party ideology here on generation rather than it being carbon zero.

B - That is just the usual green cop-out on nuclear. Along with aviation, nuclear is one of the highest regulated industries and has less deaths per year than aviation. It also has less deaths per thousand TWh than wind. 0.03 compared to wind`s 0.04. (Source: Statista)

C - To look on the "Chinese" angle as more a political discussion than a green policy one is again a cop-out or being very naive. The vast majority of green policy is being driven by political edicts with financial penalties for non-compliance. We are told that this is a global problem. Well if it is it is not going to be solved by Ireland ruining it`s economy while the likes of China are selling us renewable kit using coal and slave labour to produce while strengthening their economies.To condone and be part of that is greens pissing down the back of peoples necks while trying to convince them it`s just rain.

You are not being honest, all things are not equal. Everyone reading this forum is 100% dependent on the availability of fossil fuels for their existence and standard of living. The very notion that we can aspire to maintaining our current standard of living by consuming secondary energy source electricity powered by dispersed, unreliable and expensive resources such as wind and solar while in parallel shutting down fossil fuel exploration & extraction and pricing it out of peoples ability to consume it, defies all science and rational thought. This green policy stupidity perfectly aligns with authoritarians, who believe they can implement economic central planning by rationing the availability of energy to us plebeians, thus limit and control the human population while they maintain exclusive access to benefits derived from primary source energy use i.e. fossil fuels.

You could make the argument for fossil fuels + solar and wind generated electricity while adapting to seasonal weather variations. As a species we consume more energy today that we ever did, top down treaties forcing the elimination of fossil fuels are not changing the outcome. Western countries that restrict energy consumption are finding the industrial base that built their capital is moving away from them, with no suitable replacement to generate new capital. Who benefits from the green deal imposed on the EU population, and, who pays for it?

Green policies being implemented on energy production and consumption, food production and consumption, restrictions on domestic populations movement while in parallel allowing unrestricted immigration are combining with monetary inflation, war and an aging population dependent on state welfare to create our generations major political and economic crisis. The only thing that is not causing our problems is the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,123 ✭✭✭✭JRant

All things are not equal though. The iron law of power density is a very real thing and cannot just be brushed aside because it doesn’t suit your argument. Offshore wind requires somewhere in the region of 13x the amount of natural resources compared to NG. The m^2 power density of gas/nuclear is also far superior to renewables. Let’s not even talk about capacity factors as they’ve been done to death.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

How am I not being honest?

What I am saying is that fossil fuels are finite resources, they will run out, that is a categoric fact. In the meantime, or over whatever period for which they are continued to be used, they will cause damage. That again is a fact.

Even Greta is talking about no new oil exploration, and the wind down of unnecessary or inefficient use of fuels such as by flying rather than just stop completely tomorrow. So I don't know where the idea has come from that any of us are saying zero oil should ever be used again.

But, 'necessity is the mother of invention' and it is when people realize that we need to change, and commit to making that change is when we will see meaningful developments towards the meeting of our needs in alternative ways. And you could argue, I would agree with it in fact, that the advocation for efficiency in the use of electricity is recognizing the fact that we do not have means to sustain our current level of usage with the methods available to us.

The oil industry, and many layers below it, are looking to optimize the resource that is available to them without consideration for the long term consequences of this. They're looking at this with a 20/50/100 yr mindset as in, 'It won't be my problem, so who cares', and that is a bad thing for society.

You and too many more are not looking at reality and judging those who advocate Green policies way way harsher than any one else in the conversation. And blaming them for not having perfect solutions rather than holding those most responsible to account. Time and time and time again people get very worked up about Green ideas, Green advocates and green politicians because they are acknowledging reality rather then literally sticking their head in the sand and looking for oil. Why is that?

And can we stop with the 'unrestricted immigration' nonsense from this conversation, there's enough places here to have whatever flavour you want of that topic so I'm not getting in to it here.

Offshore wind requires somewhere in the region of 13x the amount of natural resources compared to NG. 

Link to this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,123 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Due to the deficiencies of electricity generation from wind and solar, the grid is totally dependent on fossil fuels, the reverse is not the case. If you want case look up El Hierro in the Canaries and King Island in Bass Strait between Tasmania and Australia, lots of money dumped into wind and solar, still requires diesel electric generators to fill in the large and frequent gaps in supply, at times even for 100% of each island’s electricity needs. Green policies such as net zero are wishful thinking that are imposing high economic costs across societies that implement them, these must ultimately result in energy scarcity on par with the oil shocks of the 1970s.

Germany is the poster child for this failure (Die Energiewende, or death to reliable energy systems. sic), for political expediency Merkel abandoned nuclear, a move that has cost them over €600 billion in subsidies to date, failed to reach their targets and they are not done. Building new nuclear plants would have been cheaper and more effective than wind and solar.

Alternatively, Germany could have kept the existing nuclear power in 2002 and possibly invest in new nuclear capacity. The analysis of these two alternatives shows that Germany could have reached its climate gas emission target by achieving a 73% cut in emissions on top of the achievements in 2022 and simultaneously cut the spending in half compared to Energiewende. Thus, Germany should have adopted an energy policy based on keeping and expanding nuclear power. source

Not only that economic confidence is low in Germany, VW considers closing German factory for first time in 87-year history

Chief executive Oliver Blume said: “The economic environment has become even tougher and new players are pushing into Europe. Germany as a business location is falling further behind in terms of competitiveness.”The Volkswagen brand, which fuels most of the carmaker’s sales, is the first of the group’s marques to undergo a cost-cutting drive. It is targeting €10bn (£8.4bn) in savings by 2026 as it attempts to streamline spending.

Thomas Schaefer, head of the VW brand, warned: “The situation is extremely tense and cannot be overcome by simple cost-cutting measures.”Pushing the changes through will be a delicate task. Volkswagen employs around 650,000 workers globally, almost 300,000 of whom are in Germany, and the threat of factory closures sparked an immediate fierce backlash from unions. source

The energy problems are Angela Merkels legacy, and the current German socialist-green government has botched things so badly, they have no idea how to proceed further. The lack of access to cheap Russian, gas de-industrialising Germany and die Energiewende cannot fill the gap.

The German economy underpins the Euro currency. If Germany ceases to be able to subsidise the Mediterranean countries then the experiment we call the Euro is toast, with enormous consequences. Those consequences are all bad in the short term (not necessarily in the long term) Don't be surprised when the battle commences between bankers and greens. For now Germany has a current account surplus, it has been dipping in recent years.

As for Greta Thunberg, the lesson of Nongqawuse and the Xhosa cattle killing serve as the salutary lesson from history to anyone taking her advice.

Advertisement