Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭rrs

Have it known before the Draw when teams are home and away for the 4 rounds. Ballinagha home in round 1 away in round 2, home 3 away 4. At least clubs might be more prepared for having games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭celt262

Might work in a group format but not within the current format.

The current format had its day. There will probaly be changes with a new Chairman being appointed for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭etuzyuk

I don't mind the format. IMO if you can only win one game in a 4 game run, regardless of the draw, you don't deserve a QF slot no matter how lucky or unlucky you or others got with the format. In the 12 team format 4 points more or less guarantees you in, sometimes even 3.

You can point to previous hard luck cases, think Crosserlough failed as reigning champions to make the quarters after facing Ramor, Gaels and Gowna but the fact of the matter was they didn't deserve to advance because of how they performed. And whoever misses out this year will have missed out because of what their players do on the field, not because of what some suit pulls out of a hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭ipitydafool

I think he means in terms of the organisation involved with using neutral venues that is being said is one of the reasons the draws now being made before the latest round of championship has been played that wasnt the case before. County board are not going to go down home and away for championship as they are all about the money especially with cost of planned developments. Neutral grounds gtd's them more gate money imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Anthony A

Gowna can't lose either remaining match, 3 points will not be enough to get through with the way the draw is. You'd likely need 4 points and even then it will be tight.

There's a good chance Ballinagh and Castlerahan get 4 points with Lavey and Laragh to play. Who knows even Laragh or Lavey might fancy it as they have to play each other this weekend also.

It would also ensure each Club gets a championship game. Some Clubs because of where they are situated like Gowna or Arva would rarely if ever get a Championship game ,or Shannon Gaels.

So Ballyhaise on 4, Castlerahan should end on 4. Very hard to predict how the table may look tomorrow evening but I like the format. Gives more teams a chance of making quarters, think seeded groups would suit the bigger clubs more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭tazman06

With results today, think it essentially looks like one of Gowna or Killygarry will be in relegation playoffs. It's been a mad draw overall. Score difference will play a big part with 3 points possibly being enough for some. Results tomorrow will tell way more, but either way with the match ups next week, some big club will miss the quarters

Cavan Gaels had the winning of the game until Shehu was sent off and the brother soon followed. They are good players but get involved in too much off their ball stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭piplip87

Was in Lavey this evening finally a game with a bit of bite to it from a Ramor perspective. Much improved from the last two games in attack at least.

Conceded 2 soft goals but the attack seems to be clocking into shape. McCrystal really put himself forward as Ramors next full forward. James Brady came on and is slowly getting back to himself. Young Nulty will give any corner back an issue has pace to burn.

Enda McGuire came on so good to have him back.

Liam Brady is a massive loss, young Oisin Rourke doesn't have the confidence on the ball yet but is a good shot stopper.

Massive game against the Gaels next. Although topping the table could potentially leave you with Gowna in quarters but beating the Gaels is always sweet.

As for Killygary they were poor enough I thought. Four goals but mostly down to poor defending than anything spectacular.

Thought the referee was disgraceful myself. Gowna have him to thank for their point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I said that here after their first game. The two lads ran about the pitch getting involved in handbags all over the place. Didn’t see last nights game. Surprised by the result.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

Some win for Mullahoran. That's them through to the quarters. Kingscourt and Ballyhaise be a good game next week with loser potential to miss out

Gaels were the dominant team throughout, Gowna were playacting off the ball and mauling at Gearoid McKiernan. Gowna got lucky with the red cards, not very clear how they came about.

Reminded me of the Gaels Kingscourt game last year were similarly cards and several red cards were thrown around for nothing.

They are only young lads and they do get targeted by opposition players too. Very talented players and will be a loss to the Gaels in last match with suspension.

Take them out and the Gaels team is quite old and slow. They do look better this year though from bits I've seen. Gearoid is a massive difference especially in club football.

They get targeted because they react. It's up to them to keep their discipline and no point blaming Gowna or the ref. Their is other players on the Gaels team who are probe to a red like Levi Murphy but kept their discipline yesterday

That's how I saw it too. Gowna looked out of ideas and went the playacting route. Ref went with them. Gifted them a couple of scores in front of goal and then lost control of the game when he pulled up the keeper on kickout. Gaels won the throw up, got the ball away and the melee could have been avoided but he inexplicitly brought them all back in again for another throw up to rekindle hostilities. Gaels won the ball yet again but he gave Gowna a free under the posts for what only he knows. Then it all kicked off on the kickout. Farcical stuff.

I can only assume the first red was for drawing the boot, saw Dublin Joe motion as much to Dourneen, but I didn't see the incident but saw plenty other stuff that neither the ref nor linesman apparently saw 2 feet in front of their faces. 2nd red looked harsh, he did take a man out of it, must have been high. Ref was closer than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

As a neutral at Breffni on Saturday evening, Gowna can feel more than lucky to have scraped a draw and the Gaels were hard done by. I was on the terrace on the halfway line and for the whole of the game, Ryan Brady was mauling McKiernan. As the Gaels began to dominate, McKiernan was literally looking across the line to the linesman to do something. The melee came from Gowna pulling and dragging that went unpunished. The Gowna fans that were near me were very worried when it ended as they felt that some of their lads would see the line.

As with most melees it's hard to see who does what so I cannot say that Emmanuel Shehu was rightly sent off or not but if justice was served, a few other lads should have seen the line too. That's not all on the ref. A word 15 minutes earlier from the linesman to the ref might have calmed things down before it got to that point. I thought Pierson was very lucky after the melee not to get a red card. I thought the second red for the Gaels was unbelievably harsh. Favour Shehu goes up to block a handpass and his momentum did mean he clattered a player but didn't look intentional.

You're 100% etuzyuk that Durneen managed that throw ball very badly. He didn't even attempt to get players away from the ball both times almost ensuring there was going to be some form of scrap.

Aside from all that, Gowna were awful. Tiarnan Madden must have a sore back from carrying that team. Aside from him (and a brief spell from Pierson in the first half) they were pedestrain. Walking pace, no ideas and no sense of urgency. I know they have managed to peak in the last two years once it goes into knock out, but if they play like that against Killygarry (who don't fear them) they won't be in the knock out stages this year.

Huge win for Mullahorn, that's two big wins for a young team. So far it's the Lough, Ramor and Mullahorn who are through. Hard to see 3 points being enough, so one of Gowna or Killygarry to lose out.

You could have potentially Ballinagh or Lavey on 4 points alongside Castlerahan and one of the Gaels, Gowna, Killygarry, Ballyhaise and Kingscourt depending on how results go.

Only a win will work for Gowna or Killygarry, and Ballyhaise / Kingscourt would need at least a draw to be sure, and a win for the Gaels to be 100%.

Should be a serious last day for the group on Sunday. Who said this system was boring? :)

• Advertisement

It is odd how the draw has worked out though with the four teams you’d expect for relegation (Rahan, Ballinagh, Laragh & Lavey) nearly having their own mini League amongst each other.

Ballinagh will probably stay Senior by beating Laragh & Lavey, the two worst teams in it. I know Laragh have lads away but they must be absolutely atrocious that they lost to a terrible Lavey team yesterday.

Castlerahan too. They'll get to 4 with a win against Laragh. With them and Ballinagh on 4 points and most likely through, we'll potentially see one of Gowna/Killygarry and Ballyhaise/Kingscourt in relegation when they all got tough draws, and the lads at the bottom beat Lavey and Laragh to stay up. Even the Gaels are at risk if Ramor decide they want to play what is a dead rubber to them. Possibly need some sort of seeding

Ballyhaise on 4 already. I'm assuming there will be a number of teams on 4 points so score difference will likely come into play. Ballinagh are minus 11 and Castlerahan minus seven. Gaels and Ballyhaise are even score.

Gives some modicum of equity? If we're gonna have a Championship that's group games and not knockout immediately, maybe teams should have similar levels of games rather than just simple luck of the draw. Basic seeding on positions last year could be done and everyone could get similar games

Indeed, but if they lose, Kingscourt jump up above them, and then their score difference will drop a bit too (depending on the manner of a loss). So yeah, how much some win by and how much some lose by could tighten this up rightly. Be a very interesting last day, with games on at the same time.

Don't know Championship should be luck off the draw imo.

But to this extent where you have 12 teams but 4 group games? Basic seeding would just have it a little more equitable is all

• Advertisement

Not aware of any. But then again not many have this weird format which depends so much on draw luck

Just checked. Donegal at least do our system (only with 16 teams) and they do seed them. Fermanagh base their groupings on League finishing (so seedings in a way). I'll see if there are any more

It's common enough around the Country. Cork do it and I think Galway.

Sidenote: does anyone know where the County Board publishes their disciplinary info? Years back you'd see in the Celt weekly who was banned, for how long and so on after a red card (Joe Bloggs - rest of game, AN Other - 2 weeks etc). I can't see this anymore, yet I saw Damien Barkey play and score a (very important) goal for Ramor last weekend after a straight red the week before. Was he banned, was it appealed, or in process of appeal so he could play in the meantime? Does he miss a dead rubber game next week instead?

Who knows. He was No. 30 in the programme and then came on and made an impact. So he seems to have been initially left out (he's normally a nailed on starter) but did play. Clear as mud as usual

I don’t remember the Gaels team of the noughties being angels when they were dominating Cavan football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭ipitydafool

Hopefully nothing like this happens with the last rounds in Cavan this weekend, some mess to sort out!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/longford-football-championship-thrown-into-chaos-over-disputed-half-time-score-as-tv-footage-reviewed/a120797114.html

Any winning team has an edge to them, it’s a fact of the game. My issue is clubs crying foul when another does it.

You’ll often find the best loved players in clubs are those that other teams hate because they play on the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

I always find that the players who play on the edge are the biggest gentlemen of pitch and wouldn't say boo to anyone.

Every winning side does do it alright. I'd just feel it's annoying to see refs sometimes in awe of some teams and letting them nearly do whatever

What happened with the transfers of the Maghera players to Cucu's? Are those players playing any football currently or in the reserve championship?

• Advertisement

No transfer yet County board put a stop to it. At least one is training away with Cuchulainns and won't play again for Maghera.

Never said they were. Never said they didn't lose their discipline and take the bait at the weekend. Never said Gowna were wrong.

I said the referee was a disgrace and ruined the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 L.E.

Keith Greene is the successful candidate for the Cavan GAA Performance/Talent Development Lead role if the grapevine is to be believed..

https://cavangaa.ie/2024/06/job-opportunity-gaa-performance-talent-development-lead-in-county-cavan/

Seems a messy enough situation. Adam Reilly would have played underage with Maghera and switched to Cuchulainns after Minor level. I don't think there was an issue then.

I'd say Maghera are totally screwed to be honest at this stage although that has been said many times over the years and they have managed to keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 StayDownKing

Maghera & Corlough are both playing in the junior shield. Mountnugent loosing all 4 games and conceding 16 goals in 2 games plus Killeshandra loosing their four games has to set alarm bells ringing in the county board. Teams and clubs can get into trouble very quickly - playing numbers are down and if there isn't a meaninful action more and more small clubs will fall by the wayside and we'll be left with just the big town teams fielding huge amount of underage teams and 2 or 3 adult teams.

Post edited by StayDownKing on

Let’s call a spade a spade here, Munterconnaught and Maghera have no excuse. They are in an area of huge population growth with large, well attended schools in both parishes.

For clubs like Corlough, the population just isn’t there and we are going to continue to see demographics come into play in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I think the problem with Maghera is lads do go to school in Maghera, but play with Lurgan/Ramor

• Registered Users Posts: 3 StayDownKing

The first thing that should be done is regrade the league to give more teams a chance of actually winning something. To many club players from every club go through their whole playing career without actually winning a medal. I can't remember the last time a club like Shannon Gaels, Kildallan, Mountnugent won anything at senior.

I would open it up to at least 8 divisions in the same style that Meath do so that clubs can find their level. Clubs like Maghera & Corlough may end up in Division 5 or 6 but at least then they would be competitive and can move up the leagues if they improve. Other clubs that haven't won anything in 30 years may find themselves winning a league title. Larger clubs second teams can also have meaningful league which would enable them to hold on to the age group just after minor where they loose so many that have no chance of making their senior teams.

I would also have 4 championships 12 clubs in senior, 10 in Intermediate 10 in Junior and 8 in Junior B. teams in Junior B could also look at amalgamations for senior championship like in Kerry to allow their best players get a good crack at playing a higher standard.

I would also look at the current transfer system that is in place and see if there is something that could be altered within this system - Make it easier for reserve players from larger clubs to go to smaller rural teams to gain first team football. I'm not sure how something like that would work but a smaller club acting as a feeder club within the same parish might enable the smaller club to gain more playing numbers..

There may not be any answers in the short term but not just in Cavan the GAA are walking blindly into a problem of playing numbers. we see it at underage with more and more amalgamations. Something needs to change in my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement