Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Odd question about Sky Broadband FTTH

• 02-09-2024 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

My parents got Sky FTTH installed last week and I've noticed something a small bit annoying- absolutely a first world problem but annoying all the same and wondering is it something that will cause some bother once cooling - off is up.

If I search something like Eir on Google.ie the results that come up are all UK results eg it lists Eir contact as 0800 039 2000 but you'd expect it to say 1901 or an Irish number. If I search something like Audi it brings up audi.co.uk and not audi.ie, weather it will tell you weather relating to the UK, If I google "car garages near me" for example it'll give me results based on Middlesbrough. I've double checked and I'm definitely on Google.ie

I'm trying to think if it will cause problems down the line for anything else like streaming etc or is it a non issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭DopeTech

that’s nothing related to the fibre install. Check from another device

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I did. I tried my Mac and it was giving UK results, I tried my iPhone on wifi and it comes back with UK results, switch to mobile data and reopen Safari and it gave me Irish results. It did the same on my work devices too and even rebooted the Sky router. Never had results show up like that before switching from Vodafone to Sky which leaves me a bit puzzled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Glaceon

What location does this site say? Also, does RTE Player give you the international version?

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

power down the router and the ont for a minute and see if it assigns you a new up. Might be sky afterall based on your comment above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

I'm in the same scenario with Sky & SIRO.

They assign an IP address which some websites pick up as UK based. Certain IP lookup websites give IP address as from Ireland & some from UK.

For me until last week, I could not use Virgin Media streaming app but could use ITVX without VPN.

Something changed then with IP address lookup as now Virgin Media player is working & ITVX not. My IP address hasn't updated or changed in several weeks.

Edit: with Sky SIRO since February.

• Advertisement

It says Sky UK and location is Dublin. I've rebooted the router twice but it's still doing the same thing.

Ongarite: I tried Virgin Media Player there and it says "Sorry! Virgin Media Player is not currently available in your country"

Update: Rang Sky and the reason I was given was there was a faulty batch of routers went out that had IPv6 set for use in the UK instead of IPv4 for Ireland which would cause this. They sent out another router which was supposed to fix it and it was the same issue. Tried Virgin Media Player and RTE Player and it again told me I couldn't access the player as I wasn't in Ireland, ads in Google & Safari are all UK ads so I'm just going to use my cooling off and switch to someone else.

Just to add: the broadband speed was rock solid, no complaints regarding speed. Skys technical team kept telling me to go to Sky.com and just change the flag from UK flag to Ireland which was supposed to magically solve everything on Virgin, Google etc so left me with little faith in their technical team unfortunately.

Post edited by Ah-Watch on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Glaceon

My guess is that they reallocated some IPs from the UK division and they haven't yet updated in the numerous databases. I remember the same happening to the then UPC about 10 years ago, they reallocated a block from Austria (80.111.0.0/16) and some websites were still showing them as Austrian IPs for about a year afterwards. I see that block has now been reallocated to the Netherlands so they were probably getting Irish stuff for a while!

• Advertisement
Advertisement