Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo EX90

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Single motor version likely to be the volume seller when it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭digiman

A 6 seater version would be cool, that’s one of the things I really liked about the EV9.

Also surprised it didn’t have rear window blinds, these are really great to have with kids in the back.

Agree that leather seats would make a big difference, but it does seem to be minimalist enough in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,155 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Watched the review and I actually really like it. In a world where a Kia equivalent is 87k, this is worth the price IMO.

(PS: Settle a bet, is that background the Keadeen hotel in Newbridge?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭MarkN

Ha no, Radisson St. Helen’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭useless

I really, really wanted to like this car but it's just not doing it for me. Maybe I'm too old but I can't countenance fabric seats on a 120k car. The minimalistic look is...nice... but would it have killed them to put a row of physical buttons under that screen for climate and hazards? Volvo seem to be doing the old Audi trick of designing a model, then putting the plans into the photocopier and blowing them up for larger cars and scaling them down for smaller. This EX90 is very, very like the EX30 beside it, and by extension, not 'special' enough to justify a 120k price tag.

Also, this car was launched in November 2022. Looking on Reddit, Americans who pre-ordered are only getting theirs in late summer this year, almost 2 years after the launch. There has been delay after delay in manufacturing and software, which doesn't bode well for build quality as they will be working flat out to get the cars out the door asap at this point. Interesting that Mark said there was an 8 year warranty- is that only for the battery or for the full car? If its the latter it would go a long way to assuaging any fears, but I'd be surprised if the warranty is not the bare minimum 2-3 years for Ireland.

I might wait for the facelift, or see if Audi come out with something interesting electric to replace the Q7. Maybe by then BMW will have seen sense too and released a fully electric "iX5" to replace the pig-ugly iX... (all the preceding fully on the basis of my impending lotto win, of course! :-) :-) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭MarkN

That’s for the battery - need to double check the car.

Standard Volvo warranty is 3 years or 100K Km’s whichever comes first. Not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You can forget about leather on these, no experience of the standard seats, but those woolen ones are excellent… and expensive. Wouldn’t fancy the colour with my lot.

The lack of physical HVAC buttons really is off putting. Every so often, my xc60 will have a meltdown and refuse to launch the screen. Happens maybe once every two or three months (probably update related), but it’s incredibly irritating when it happens. I’m pretty sure the heated seats controls have always remained on, (edit: I must have summoned this, as this just occurred half an hour ago. Screen completely gone for five minutes while random reboot happened, so possible you’d have no hazards etc on the ex90)during this, so I’d be curious if this has the same redundancy for the lower controls. Either way, I don’t like it. The current mix is a decent, though not perfect, compromise. Steering wheel at least looks good to me.

I still can’t get over the lack of space in back though. My main takeaway is that this car will give Kia even more business.

Post edited by Oafley Jones on

By leather, I mean Nordico which is Volvo speak for fake leather. It’s available in 3 colours as no cost option. The grey wool is €1350 extra. I think you’d be crazy to pay more for grey wool fabric over Nordico that you can wipe clean on a 7 seat family car.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭derekreilly

I had a quick look around the EX90 this week at the Irish launch

• Advertisement

Today I'm in LA at the global launch of the Volvo EX90. I can speak about everything but the driving until the embargo in 13hrs. What would you like to know?

Expected delivery and pricing for the single motor version ? Not everyone has €120K sitting around for a new EV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭carsfan2

How many times has Volvo "launched" this car?

Seems like we saw it about two years ago at this stage.

A long time coming for sure and still not fully software baked.

The single button thing for both front and rear windows is enough to put me off. I can understand it on the EX30, where’s it obvious that every cost cut had to be made, but its completely unacceptable in a car of the price category. I’ve been waiting for the ex60 to replace my XC60, but I won’t go for it if they do this. The more I see of the XC90, the higher I think of our EV9.

A friend has the EX30. It’s really impressive, but the software is unbelievably shoddy in it.

Post edited by Oafley Jones on

I think EV9 is a great electric 3 row. I also think some perspective Volvo EX90 buyers went this way. Single window button definitely a negative.

This software was good for the few hours I had it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭pah

How much? Probably a lot more than the EV9

Closer to two EV9s than one, I'd say. Volvo have moved to premium pricing for some years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jiminho

I’d really like to know who the demographic this car is aimed at. Family with young kids? I seem to recall the XC90 started at around 80k in 2021 which was high but on the border of realism. This car starts at 118k! I realise COVID, Brexit and of course it’s electric but a 50% uplift, madness but I guess a sign of the times. I don’t think we’ll be seeing too many of these driving around these shores

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭DrPsychia

According to a Volvo dealer in Dublin, the Irish order allocation is already filled for 2025 delivery. These will no doubt be popular in leafy South Dublin, not so much outside of the pale.

Lads, your ability to do a price comparison is shocking…

Single motor EV9. Lists as 77.k, Dual motor at 85.5. Dual motor Ultra spec XC90 117K.

2015 XC90 T8 Momentum PHEV (which was the entry level spec) without the grants etc was 89k ish. Which is about 108k in today's money. Again, Dual motor ULTRA spec 117k.

They're extremely popular in Cork as well. Heard the same months back here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭useless

I was really excited about this car and even watched Jim make his big speech on YouTube back in 2022(!) when Volvo 'launched' it. I'm still a little bit excited about going to test one. However, I wouldn't touch one of these versions with a 40 foot pole, new or used. Waaaaayyy too long to go from 'launch' to on sale, still reports on reddit of buggy software, Lidar not included, Apple CarPlay not available etc.

I'll wait for the Mk2 version of this- and would recommend to anyone who wants to get into an early version to lease it rather than buy it.

The pricing is the pricing, in line with the X5 (starts around 100k, spec one to the same level as EX90 and it gets close to 120) and the GLE. The people buying these aren't impacted by the housing crisis and have plenty of money. Look at the stats on how many people in Ireland now earn over 100k, 200k etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭digiman

Nobody on €100k is buying one of these and I doubt even families with a combined income on €200k are buying one either to be honest. The demographic that would need one are young families with two-three kids, mortgage and childcare will eat into €200k pretty quick without forking out €1500-2000/month on PCP. You need a decent bit of cash in the bank as well as a high salary to properly afford a €120k unless you want a life of very high debt.

Looks good though, but not sure it’s worth it over the KIA EV9, paying for the badge mainly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭carsfan2

there’s a refresh xc90 phev coming out that adopts some of the styling cues from the ex90 inside and out. This will probably be a more affordable proposition and more popular I reckon.

Consider how long the development of the ex90 has been going on, it’s a disappointment that it’s still not really the finished product.

A 120k car with no apple carplay?

• Advertisement

So, my statement of closer to two EV9 than one.

1 EV9 = 77k, 2EV9 = 154k
    1 EX90 = 117k.

EX90-EV9 = 40k
    EX90-2EV9=-37k

therefore I was correct, by 3 K.

Advertisement