Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW ID.3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭fits

someone has bought my old car I see. Hopefully it goes well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭electricus

I had that issue a few months back, luckily fixed under warranty.

It seems to be a very common problem so maybe you could argue that it’s a manufacturing fault

https://www.speakev.com/threads/id3-sos-error.161314/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭quokula

Thanks for the link. I'm going to see if I can push the issue more because they're effectively holding me to ransom as they won't do other work on the car unless I pay them to replace their shoddy module.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭electricus

Good luck with it, I’m surprised there hasn’t been a a recall given the number of reported failures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I’d suggest you don’t bother replacing the module for now. Latest software is hardly going to bring groundbreaking improvements anyway. Request the part number for the module if you don’t have it already. You might find one significantly cheaper on eBay or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The question I'd be asking if whether the SOS module does in fact need to be replaced before a software update can be applied to the car - i.e. what's the relationship between the two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's poor from VW.

Would make you seriously consider avoiding a used ID3 if its a known issue and they are washing their hands of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It's not unusual. Nissan did the same thing with their wonky back axles on the early Leafs. Well known issue but Nissan refused to address it. Took me months of nagging til they finally agreed to pay for the part but I had to pay them the labour cost. Wouldn't even let me get it fitted locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭4goneConclusion

Exact same thing happened to me and was extremely annoying as i had waited about 6 months to get a booking to upgrade software and then the SOS warning appeared a few weeks beforehand and they refused to do it.

The quote to replace the module for me was about €1k but after arguing with them they reduced it to €700 or so. I still didn't even consider getting it done as it's an absolute joke so I'm seemingly stuck with old software for the foreseeable future. The main thing I don't have is a quick view of battery % but i guess overall it's not that important.

I'm due my first NCT next month so will be great craic if the SOS warning causes any issues.

Otherwise the car is great but VW service is absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭joe1303l

WeConnect App or whatever should give you battery % anyway if it’s important.
    Technically it should be an NCT fail but I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t check it. Covered below under “New testable items from May 2023”…..

https://www.ncts.ie/1157/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

double post

Any regrets Fits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

So is the SOS module replacement a DIY job? Being modular kinda suggests that this should be easily replaced

Has anyone successfully changed one themselves?

Not really. Model Y is a very different car. Travel assist and headlights and wipers all better in ID.3. Memory seats and driver profiles very good in model y and it’s an extremely efficient car for its size. We got free supercharging too which has been very handy on trips to Kerry. Model y is much bigger and has the turning circle of a cruise ship so I do miss the niftier ID.3. It was more engaging to drive too. The driver profiles are really useful for us though as we share the car fairly equally and are definitely not the same size 🤣. My perfect car would take bits from both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hey,

Current ID3 'family' owner, and thinking will be changing, either ID3 or 4. Was just hoping for some opinions on whats a good upgrade.

I love LED smart lights that auto darken in full beam etc, love keyless its such a tiny thing but get in and go, love reversing camera. Meh about the glass roof. Range is mostly fine for me, exception is motorway Galway-Dublin return and finding chargers, would i like more range - of course. Boot size works for me, but im nearly always full.

Curious about advanced lane assist thing - my one is like bumper cars from side to side is the paid option worth it ?

Is the Heads up thing a pure gimmick ?

Would an ID4 with 77kwhr be a game changer for range ? Will it be as nimble as my ID3?

I seem to be odd in actually liking the VW screen rather han android auto, is the bigger screen nicer ? faster ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

ID.4 1st Max owner here, I'll try to answer what I can

The 4 is definitely a bit more of a brick on the roads from what I've heard. It's got no shortage of power but probably doesn't feel as nimble as a 3

The main selling point of the 4 is more space, if you need it then go for it, otherwise the a 3 Pro S is another option. Resale on the 4 might be better, the Pro S seems to be taking a beating on depreciation

The extra range makes a big difference in Ireland I find, often turns a midpoint charge and destination charge into just a destination charge

The HUD is cool, but pretty much a gimmick. I ended up turning it off

The Travel Assist (I assume that's what you mean by advanced lane assist) is brilliant. It makes motorway driving so much simpler and less stressful.

I've never found it ping ponging between the lines like some folks mention about the basic Lane Assist. In fact it'll generally try to hold the same position as when it's started, in contrast to some others which will fix themselves to the middle of the lane no matter what

I would say the Travel Assist is only really useful on motorways and fairly straight N roads. I tried it on a fairly rural road once and needed a change of underwear afterwards

It's still worthwhile I'd say, for example do Dublin - Galway on Travel Assist, then if you're heading further do most of that manually

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I think the travel assist is brilliant. Much better than the Tesla. I miss the HUD too. I liked it.

Great summary Fits. ID3 Pro S / Tour is an excellent car. The travel assist and matrix lights are the business

ya, I'm a regular Galway - Limerick and the basic travel assist gives me a glimpse of motorwar ease and I must admit I like it - but I don't want to become a Tesla type with falling asleep, not caring.

Range to Dublin would be nice. Great points thank you.

You won't fall asleep, the car will start beeping at you if you let go of the steering wheel.

The emergency stop system is actually pretty slick, if the car doesn't detect your hands on the wheel it's start beeping and then will tap the brakes a couple of times to try and wake you up

Failing that it'll bring the car safely to a halt and start beeping the horn and turn the hazard lights on. At the same time it dials emergency services using the SOS system, the idea being that if you're still unconscious after all that it's because you can't wake up (i.e. you've had a heart attack or something)

During all this the ACC and lane assist keep working so you shouldn't drift off the road if you're on a motorway

Thankfully I haven't had occasion to test it but there's plenty of demos on YouTube

To give some context, I did a 9 hour drive across the UK two years ago using a lot of Travel Assist on motorways. I honestly don't think I'd have managed it driving manually, I would have needed a midpoint stop for a rest. As it was the two charging stops provided good opportunities to take a break

• Advertisement

you can’t fall asleep in Tesla either. It looks for input on steering wheel more often than the vw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Luna84

I could be wrong but those videos where Tesla drivers are asleep is only for America there are different laws in Europe regarding self driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

3 months and 10k in on our 211 id.3 Pro. Bought with around 80k on it.

Averaging 15.3kwh long term. That's a lot of R and N road driving tho. Maybe 10% Motorway at 110 to 120kmh.

Can achieve a tad over 400km range for the commute which is all R roads.

Love the car and suits us perfectly anyway and saving a fortune on diesel. Found it hard to go back to a diesel there recently when the oh had it!!

I think a lot of the early ones were staged as well, influencers trying to figure out ways to defeat the driver detection.

Apparently a wedge of lemon or something around the steering wheel was enough to make the older teslas think there was a hand on the wheel

Frankly you can bypass any safety system if you try hard enough. Don't want seat belt alarms? Just get a buckle from eBay and plug it into the recepticle. Of course what's the point of the seat belts then if you won't wear them

There's always a degree of personal responsibility as well, the safety systems are there but you need to let them do their job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭handpref

I have an id3 East Derry spare wheel with perfect tyre- 215/55/15

Let me know if your interested- D13 or East Meath pick up-

Was using it as a spare but got an Andoya that matches the rest- don't need 2 spares…

Genuine interest only please -

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Summer2020

looking to pick up a second hand ID3 . Any tips on what spec to look for? Have seen a few pro , are they fairly high spec wise?

Pro refers to the battery size, 58kWh

There's also the Pro S, also called the Tour, which has the 77kWh battery

The various trim levels from bottom to top as I recall are Life, Business, Style, Family, Tech and Max

Over the years the trim levels have changed up a bit so what was in a 2021 might be different in a 2022 and so on

One trick to look at the different trim levels is to look at the old product guides. You can usually use the URL below and just change my25 to my24 and so forth (remember you have to change it in two places)

https://www.volkswagen.ie/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/ie/models/product-guides/my25/ID3_MY25.pdf

thanks very helpful

This is amazing, I can’t even give away a genuine VW alloy wheel and new tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Tech_Head

I’d take it but won’t be up that way any time soon. Extra annoying as I had to replace a tyre last week.

I'll PM you my number, there is a skip here and it was going into it, such a waste- I'll leave it in the shed and whenever your up I'll meet you, - doesn't matter if its next summer just shout me when suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bootser

Hi, Im in that neck of the woods and wud love to have a spare, but im on 18" Wud this fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Tech_Head

Always the way, no bites and then you have two.
    @booster - Did you decide to keep the ID3 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bootser

So far! No offers from dealers worthwhile and liking the car generally. So haven't put it on DD! If I buy 4 new tyres then I'll be committed to it😁

anyone have a life dx? Seems to be a decent spec on them just can’t see when it changed from life to life dx . Would a life dx be a decent buy? Has the velour seats , reverse camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭fafy

New pricing is out, my only question is, why are the GTX variants, listed at 77kWh, but are 79kWh across europe.

Has to be a typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Surely that's not correct, the GTX Performance is cheaper than the Pro S Plus? The Born VZ is listed at €64k, no way the GTX Performance comes in at €40k. The GTX/VZ are €50-55k in other countries.

Honestly don't understand how VW consistently make a balls of their pricelists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,932 ✭✭✭Soarer

It’s the same price in the configurator, so if it is a mistake, maybe get an order through before someone spots it!

Get the damn orders in quick! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Ev fan

States battery size as 58kWh but the Born brochure says 59kWh for the same powertrain?

• Advertisement

Thinking about trading and upgrading, I am ok with computer etc - is the VW site for the cars really hard to navigate ? I just want the broucher thing that was easy to flip back and forth. Rather than 'request a quote' 'configure' - I dislike the latter as I kinda have to wait till the end to seeing the final price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gossamerfabric

VW selling ID.3 for under 30k from 1st October in Germany

why would it matter to Irish Customers? Because it is for orders in 2025 to reduce fleet co2 reductions europe wide so they will probably offer similar pricing in Ireland. Their backs are against the wall with CO2 figures and can't sell ICE cars without selling Electric powered cars unless they wish to pay big CO2 fines.

If the ID.3 is within spitting distance of the price of an MG4 or ByD Dolphin the ID.3 will always be the better purchase especially as it is a much better car now than it was in 2021. The software and materials are better.

Order your 251 plate ID.3 now!!!

https://www.braunschweiger-zeitung.de/niedersachsen/wolfsburg/article407336822/preishammer-von-vw-der-id3-kostet-bald-unter-30000-euro.html

Test post to see if the thread will work now

EDIT: Worked

So it looks like in terms of spec the GTX is somewhat basic, biggest difference to the Pro is the extra power

The Pro Performance is more like the Pro Plus in terms of spec

This probably explains why they're a lot closer in price than expected

the mystery of disappearing posts.

EDIT: ignore me

Post edited by the_amazing_raisin on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

Is there any truth to this? It would mean a haircut of approx 10k on the price of the base model no? Sounds too good to be true.

Different incentives and VRT? As I recall the threshold for their incentives is much lower now, below £30k maybe?

If it does go through then the GTX Pro Performance looks like a pretty good deal for the bigger battery and extra power, plus the added comforts

• Advertisement
Advertisement