Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spiritan abuse survivors urged to come forward as independent process to begin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Inquiry? WAT?

We are talking about serious crimes here. There should be a robust criminal investigation. If this was any other organisation, a private company for example, who's employees and management carried out, supported and covered up child sex abuse, what would be happening?

The organisation would be barred for trading, their offices would be raided and there would be multiple arrests.

How are the church involved at all in negotiation how all this will be handled? Mind boggling.

Like in any case abuse case, not involving the church, there should be a criminal investigation. Guilty abusers should be prosecuted and punished. The victims should be compensated by the abusing individual estate and by any organisation that supported the abuse, including the state. The victims should have an opportunity to make victim impact statements.

Special courts should be setup the streamline the process. Victims should be offered a legal service with top practitioners funded by the state.

Why isn't this automatic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

To be fair a separate criminal category for clergy is quite unworkable not to mention unconstitutional. As is the proposal to limit the right to appeal.

Because it’s somehow acceptable that there’s one rule of law for everyone, except the more important people who just bypass it. So much for our great republican values of equality before the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is more than sufficient legislation on the statue books to prosecute any case of abuse that should come to light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yet not one parish priest, bishop, or ordinary (head of religious order) has ever been charged with covering up or facilitating these serious crimes, why is that?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It is interesting that the first outcry of the politicians is to have an investigation. Why? There's plenty of historical justice around these cases. Appoint a prosecutor and let them at it. Tribunals, etc... waste of the taxpayers time. Then, once the convictions are in, the survivors can sue.

As always, with the criminal enterprise known as the RCC and their lackeys in government (here's looking at you, Micheal Martin), it's delay delay delay until they finally don't admit guilt but offer up some payments, that they don't make.

Once the UN should get involved with one of these cases. Just once, keep the Irish government out of it they're massively complicit. Or the EU human rights authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Principle is "retiring" at the end of the year after being head of the school since 2000

Personally I don't believe a word of it being planned prior to the recent revelations.

For those unaware of the kind of man he is there's a great twitter thread by a previous student to give you an idea

Completely unrelated to the above post people should read Ivana Baciks Dail comments again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is the proposed inquiry/redress/ or what ever it is called restricted to the Spiritans?

Is it restricted to sexual abuse or is physical abuse such as beatings included as well?

Am getting different message from different people about this

Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

About time and I hope they learn from previous inquiries. I am sure the religious orders will cooperate fully...

Scoping inquiry into historical abuse announced (rte.ie)

Minister announces scoping inquiry into historical abuse in schools.

The scoping inquiry will also involve what the minister called a 'look back' exercise, looking at other inquiries and things that worked well or did not work well.

Mary O'Toole will also be tasked with looking at current safeguarding measures in schools and to look at best practice.

It will look at all schools run by religious orders and will engage with all the religious orders involved. The minister said the department had already written to the Spiritan order and had had "constructive engagement, but more is required".

Speaking on RTÉ's News at One, Minister Foley said she had been "intensively engaging with survivors" since the documentary aired.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, another consequence-free inquiry for the perpetrators. RCC for the win, yet again. Maybe it'll cost them some money - but will the order be shut down? Will they be banned from future contact with children? As long as that FF god-botherer Foley is running it, unlikely. Another inquiry to torment the survivors, publish a report and have those that testified be disappointed.

Looks like there will finally be an official State Inquiry

I heard that. Those 2 brothers from the original documentary have been trying to get justice since 1999 and have been thwarted at every turn by the Spiritans and their huge fortune. One of the Ryan brothers died since.

The big question is how long the inquiry will take. They often run on a go slow.

News | Latest Breaking News Stories & Headlines | RTÉ (rte.ie)

It featured brothers Mark and David Ryan, who told their harrowing stories of repeated sexual abuse at the school in south Dublin.

Following its broadcast, many other students contacted RTÉ's Liveline programme to talk about what happened to them.

Within a week, 233 men had joined the Ryan brothers in making allegations of historic abuse against members of the Spiritan congregation who co-run Blackrock College as well as other schools run by other religious congregations.

How is that creepy cult allowed to have any influence on our education system in 2024? It beggars belief.

There is so much in this that it's difficult to digest and deserves it's own thread in it's own right. I realise that it encompasses over 308 schools, with 2,395 allegations of sexual abuse with 884 distinct alleged abusers.

The details of the destruction of the lives of survivors in the aftermath of abuse is harrowing reading but deserves to be highlighted.

They described how it evoked in them feelings of shame, responsibility, isolation, powerlessness and secrecy. Participants described trying to avoid the sexual abuse, avoiding their favourite activities, their friends and ultimately their school.

Some described how, as children, they began to experience mental health problems and adopted unhealthy coping mechanisms including the misuse of alcohol and drugs, and how some of those problems followed them into adulthood.

Participants spoke of their confusion about their own developing sexuality, and also of declining academic performance which limited their opportunities in education and employment later on.

Many participants said they felt the power of the Catholic Church permeated their lives in every way and, for the majority, they felt there was no one they could tell, including their parents.

For some this has led to lifelong estrangement or difficult family relationships. Many said their childhood stopped the day the abuse started.

As adults, participants said the impact of the sexual abuse led to serious and ongoing difficulties in relationships, mental and physical health problems, addiction issues, lost career opportunities, and damage to their sense of place and/or community.

Many described failed early intimate relationships and marriage breakdowns.

Some said that, as a result of the sexual abuse, they decided not to have children, or when they did, it impacted their parenting, with many participants describing the effects of inter-generational trauma on their families.

Participants spoke of difficulties with authority figures in employment, with their long-term solution being to undertake contract work or self-employment.

Other impacts on careers included lost opportunities to go to university as a result of poor academic progress or inappropriate behaviour in employment resulting from mental health difficulties and addiction.

Some participants outlined how they had successful careers as they worked excessively, at the cost of their close relationships, to distract themselves from their early trauma.

Participants spoke of emigrating and creating distances from family and friends to avoid traumatic memories.

Many described becoming alienated from religion and church-related services to the extent that some avoided attending a parent’s funeral or other family event, as they could not enter a church.

Participants frequently described a crisis in adulthood, such as a suicide attempt or time in a rehabilitation programme, as a time when their childhood experiences came to the fore for the first time and were identified as a source of their difficulties, and this realisation began the process of healing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

And the catholic church is still deeply embedded in the state's education system

I was doing some business at the bank earlier and as I was leaving the building a priest in a smock was walking toward me on a mission. I haven't seen a priest in full regalia in a while so it set me a bit of unease and just averted my gaze. I had mentioned in a discussion elsewhere about an unwanted caller to my home and I remembered that he turned up in a long black cassock, so the sight of one on a man again today set my senses on high alert. Can't imagine how these men are feeling today, I really truly hope they are finally finding peace and healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

The abrahamic religions are a curse on humanity, and a harrowing curse on this island. A sick middle eastern death cult. All of them. They should all be removed out of this ancient island that has been too long abused by this psychopathic gang.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭csirl

In spite of all ths, the Department of Educations Child Protection Guidelines are still optional in schools. Some Catholic schools have decided to opt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

132 Christian Brothers schools identified with many hundreds of abusers; surely the worst of the lot of them, if such a metric is even worth considering. The case for the divestment/slow removal of this disgusting and utterly hypocritical organisation from school patronage has never been stronger, but the lazy political apparatus in this country suggests that we are perpetually stuck with them. The only way ultimately to make them go is to try bankrupt them-- is there any political will/entity willing to do that? I see that the Christian Brothers are already circling wagons and might not cooperate with future processes— the absolute neck of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I stuck both CBS schools I went to into the search bar of the listing. Both came up as having abused kids in both primary and secondary. Mostly primary.

Even a local convent was affected. it had boys in primary school.

I'm just grateful I was left alone

Prime Time did a good segment on the abuse inquiry.

Same. There are 6 abusers accused in my CBS primary and secondary according to the scoping report. I knew 4 abusers from the 2 schools. To my knowledge, only 1 is alive now. I was also left alone probably because I had strong parents who were not under the Roman church's spell. I know boys who were abused and it ruined their lives. Apart from the sexual abusers, many other brothers were cruel monsters.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Child protection guidelines are not optional. All teachers and other staff are trained in child protection. They are legally mandated to report any concerns to the designated liaison person (DLP) on the staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Apologies if this was already answered but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know the timeframe for the abuse detailed in the report? My old secondary school has a few cases mentioned but I'm wondering if they are from before my time as I never heard of anything untoward while I was there or since.

The allegations span from 1927 to 2013, but most allegations related to 1950s, 60s, 70s, and 80s, with a sharp drop-off after this.

https://www.thejournal.ie/blackrock-college-abuse-2-6477905-Sep2024/

The incidents of sexual abuse were, in the main, described as having occurred between the early 1960s and the early 1990s, with the highest number of reported incidents occurring in the early to mid-1970s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Are the abusers listed anywhere?

I found the lay teachers worse

By their nature, any guidelines are optional.....they"re only guidelines, not requirements.

While most schools fully buy into them, not all do. There was a child protection incident in a school one of my kids attended, and the school chose not to follow the guidelines. When parents complained to D/,Education and Tusla the response was that they cant make the school comply.....they"re only guidelines.

I think as it's alleged abuse they don't specify but they do acknowledge that over half of them are dead.

The religious orders' records indicate that over half of the 884 people accused of historical sexual abuse are known to be deceased and there is a particularly high number of allegations in special schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

I was a pupil in 4 different schools, 2 of which are named.

'They hurt you at home and they hit you at school - they hate you if you're clever and they dispise a fool'

Hide, hide in plain sight, don't stand out, be like the zebra - part of the group of zebras.

Once, I found the 'punishment roll' - an old book, hidden away in a wall - At the age of 12 I was aghast at the crimes perpertrated against children written in front of me - I couldn't have kept the book but it's gone now along with the school that was.

Broken lives from men who witnessed Daingean reformatory or born into Bessboro to unknown mothers and fathers.

There were good teachers and good people as teachers but there were devils as well.

50 odd in a class and using the leather to keep control.

Everyone suffered then and no one spoke out.

I had a friend and he told me that he was a twin - and he explained that he was in his '50's when he found out - I knew his twin because she was marched into the class every morning along with the other 'orphans' - he was in the boys orphanage school across the river - it might as well have been on the other side of the earth.

There was a boy in my class when we were in 'the nash' - The National School - he was bigger than the teacher so we all tried to sit near him for protection so to speak - I saw his name on a listing in the graveyard and I must put a flower on his grave to thank him for standing up for himself and for us.

Post edited by 65535 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

SOme things I'd like to see come from this:

1. Any redress is paid by the perpetrators, not the tax payer
    2. This is the beginning of getting control of our schools out of the hands of religious orders
    3. The hundreds of perpetrators named, taken to court and jailed for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is it possible to drill into the list for the names of the accused at a particular school or even get more info such as the time frame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

1. LOL
    2. LOL
    3. LOL

none of that will happen, the disgusting catholic institutions and the collaborator government won't allow it. the victims and survivors don't matter

any person making excuses or defending any priest, brother, bishop, cardinal or pope needs their head examined. The abuse in the catholic church, all arms of it, was and is so widespread I simply don't believe there is any priest who didn't know of at least one abuser and chose not to go to the police about them.

they are all involved, they all covered up, they all knew. All of them.

They are scum and should be hounded out of education and healthcare, why anyone accepts them as a part of modern life is beyond me. Myth believing abuse covering up scum.

How many of the abusers on the list were sent away on "missions" to abuse children in africa, south america and asia - will that ever be addressed or even mentioned? What is the legacy of the abuse delivered to these places?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

i guess the church authorities would have us believe that the abusers completely changed their behaviours and were without sin or complaint over on the missions??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, unfortunately what happened in this country is only the tip of the iceberg.

Worldwide, I'd say if the real figures ever come out, it will be truly unbelievable.

But as you say, sure nothing will happen.

Sexually abusing small children. The lowest of the low. Yet so many "men of god" did it, covered it up, said nothing. Shame on them. Gardai should be kicking in doors this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Roisin Ingle is delighting in all this no doubt

What an awful person she is

What timeframe will the proposed inquiry cover? The report is about "historic" sexual abuse. What do they consider "historic"? Is 5 or 10 years ago included?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If it was any other group involved in aiding and abeiting what is essentially a pedo ring it would be broken up, disbanded, assets seized, perpetrators jailed. But oh no, not religious, still the (very) thin veil of respectability.

The culture of deference is still with us

There will still be people in this thread making all sorts of excuses for them.

How are people still going to mass taking instruction from these filthy perverts on how to live good lives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I’m sorry but that’s nonsense. Schools have a legal obligation to deal with allegations. There is nothing optional about it. Tusla decides if the allegations meet the threshold for abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I checked my former school and there were 13 alleged abusers - this surprised me greatly as I had heard of 3 and thought that was likely the sum total considering the passage of time and the publicity two of those 3 got through the media- considering this enquiry goes back decades I’m wondering did the rest exist in the school long before I arrived there and we just didn’t know them.
    Will be interesting if any ultimately are named after the enquiry is over ?

I can’t think of one teacher other than those we know and are named as having abused kids, that you would have said would have been an abuser- yes I know probably a daft statement to make - some of my teachers you would have labelled lots of things- lazy, can’t teach, dry sense of humour, no sense of humour- all the usual things kids say about teachers - but not one of us would have labelled the remaining teachers not yet named, abusers or “dodgy” - so I’m thinking the other teachers not named were well before our time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

37 allegations against 15 abusers in my former primary school. I was there in the late 70s/early 80s, and I wasn't personally aware of any sexual abuse or abusers, but there was a massive amount of physical and psychological abuse happening openly on a daily basis. Some of it so grotesque that when I posted about it here before, I was accused of making things up. When I look at the school my kids go to today and compare it to the one I went to, it's like two different planets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

All the "patriots" and culture war fukwits will be on soon enough to defend good catholic Ireland.

They will keep the heads down for a bit until their Twitter overlords can formulate a copy and paste response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭kal7

I am with Niman

get church to pay any redress, absolutely not taxpayer.

get church out of all schools.

Talk to your TD's, election coming up.

Catholic France have done it.

Who's going to make them comply with "guidelines".

Tusla's official position is that they will not investigate complaints from parents about child protection issues in schools - that this is a matter for the Dept of Education.

The official position of the Dept of Education is that they have no legal authority to investigate individual complaints from parents. And they recommend that parents should raise any issues with the religious organisation who run the school.

If you dont believe me, ask Tusla and D/Education yourself. Or stick in a FOI request for correspondence between them and concerned parents.

In spite of all thats happenef over the years, there is still no State body tasked with enforcing child protection or investigating child protection failings in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Photobox

Yes I was in primary school too in the seventies and eighties. Humiliation and shame was order of the day with added corporal punishment. Looking back it just beggers belief that this was the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

And yet the school principal has to present a report to every board meeting which includes a section reporting on whether or not any allegations have been made against a staff member and the action taken.

There were at least 2 incidents with in one of my local primary schools. Date range is 5-10 years ago.

The school is NOT included on the list in spite of there having been a criminal investigation and the Department having been informed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement