Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ticketmaster and dynamic pricing

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how do we tackle dynamic pricing then? dynamic pricing is openly exploiting a scarcity, driving up prices because you know there's only two gigs on offer - but that's a scarcity which the promoters probably well know they might completely undermine by announcing more gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The only way to tackle it is to not buy the tickets en masse. It's the same with flights or hotel rooms, don't buy the tickets and then eventually the prices comes down.

But you know what the problem with that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭crl84

There were 3 ticket vendors for the Oasis gigs in the UK.
    I assume that there were no issues over there so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The queue position on big events isnt random.

There is an algorithm, certain accounts are given priority, these are called Fire accounts and there is a market for the buying and selling of these.

Other accounts are sent to the back of the queue and the rest are randomised.

That hasn't been proven at all. I've seen it before and it is supported only by confirmation bias.

And before you claim it, a reddit thread isn't proof.

People claimed it for Taylor Swift and it was shown to be a BS theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭NiceFella

The vast majority of concert goers only know of ticket master such is there hold on the industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

The problem isn't Ticketmaster or Dynamic Pricing. The problem is that people were stupid enough to pay the high prices. I love Oasis but couldn't justify the price of the tickets.

People are idiots and the fact that this concerts sold out at stupid prices proves that there is no cost of living crisis in this country. It's just people want to save their money for luxuries and expect society /government to pay for the basics for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Gunner5

See it really depends and I think it was the CEO of live nation ( I cant find the article at the min) who said this... People see these things as a once in a lifetime event and will buy

I think this grabbed a lot of non regular gig going people who will do the 1 a year . Given I think the age profile of a typical Oasis fan I assume a lot of this gig going stopped for a lot once raising a family came along and now it's something they are willing to go all out and spend to do it as a once off.

I am a regular gig/festival goer ( up to 30/40 a year) and as much as I'd have loved to go to this gig i financially couldnt justify it for one single concert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I am glad we agree then .

And no ..I won't be rereading your comments so you can retract that bxxxsxxx suggestion ,, to paraphrase your own comment above to me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'm in two minds about dynamic pricing. I fully agreed that the Oasis situation was a complete sh*tshow. But I lived in London for a year and used to attend countless theatre shows and their pricing was often dynamic-y.

I never really felt THAT put out by it. They were priced by the seat and more often than not I'd go for the cheap seats. At the weekends you'd pay a premium. The week of, you could get caught for a massive rise or drop in tickets. All very transparent. It would remind you of airline tickets. Everyone knows the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭NiceFella

I can't see that being the norm much longer, perhaps Taylor Swift might get that with kids but adults in their right mind surely won't pay that. As the dust settles people can see how ludicrous the pricing is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's an obvious parallel to be drawn with airline tickets - but with a large caveat that if you don't want to fly to genoa on friday because the tickets are too expensive, you can likely try the friday after. with gig tickets, it's not as if you can choose to see oasis in croker one week later.

You could go to another music gig though.

I know it's a flippant thought but it's kind of the same thing.

To use your example, Genoa this Friday and Genoa next Friday could be wildly different places with different things on.

Or if there is no flight for the rest of the year to Genoa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I don't think the two are directly comparable and I wouldn't call your theatre example dynamic-y. You are correct that prices are different depending on weekday/weekend and where you would sit in the theatre. But they don't fluctuate depending on demand.

It's similar for venues like National Concert Hall: I just bought a ticket for a concert and selected the most expensive band that came to 32 euro - so i can be in a "better" seat. That price has been standard throughout the sale. If I thought this was too expensive, I could have selected a different "worse" seat for 20 or 25 euro. Again, no fluctuation on prices... plus I got to select my seat (naturally I understand that selecting your seats for a big gig at Croke Park isn't practical)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I'm not paying €425 to go to Genoa. No way. Fecking Ticketmaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

An artist paints a picture, they decide to sell it for 10,000 euro. Some pays it. They got the price they wanted.

Where is the dynamic pricing? You opening paragraph makes no sense.

In that context, the closest analogy would be selling art at auction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If a picture artist makes a painting they should be allowed to set the price and sell to the highest bidder. Fans of the artist have no right to complain that they were priced out of owning a piece themselves.

The same goes for concerts. The artist should be free to set the entry price to their shows and charge as mush as people are willing to pay.

Once everyone is informed, why shouldn't they have that right?

The issue the UK consumer authority has seems to get to that issue - people were told that the tickets were about 80 or 90 quid and by the time they were presented with the option to buy, they were four times the price with only few minutes to decide - that's the issue there, they were misinformed to begin with.

• Advertisement

Tickets were advertised here as "From €86". I wouldn't say they were misinformed. Tickets were indeed from that price.

Its like when Ryanair advertise their sales and say "Flights as low as €19.99" but you might find the flight you want is €60. Or when you go into a shop that has sales "up to 50%", you might find the top you want is only 20% off.

The wording is clear enough that not all the tickets are €86. Now perhaps there is a push to be more clear what the price range is, but I wouldn't say there is anything misleading as the word "From" makes it quite clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

They literally weren't told anywhere tickets were 80 quid. The first place ticketmaster showed the price was once you get out of the queue at which point you are presented with a range of options and you could then add the ticket(s) to the basket. Perhaps it should be mandatory to disclose that dynamic pricing is turned on. I think it should be mandatory to disclose al ticket options before the sale, but you can't really ban it without costs going up elsewhere.

that was going on the report i read here - and i misremembered, the original price was stated at around £130.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/article/2024/sep/02/failure-to-warn-oasis-fans-of-dynamic-pricing-may-be-consumer-law-breach-say-experts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There were a number of advertisements where the tickets were said to be priced "from 89.50*" but yes, it would be beneficial to have all the various tiers of ticket costs outlined prior to the tickets sale going live. I am not sure what exactly it would change in this situation however.
    I was ok to pay around €120 a ticket for a seated ticket (I was after 4 seated tickets). Were there ever seated tickets for sale at that price - from what I can tell, probably not, unless you were seated behind a pillar or stage. So when I was presented with standing tickets for 415 that was me out, no matter how long I queued.

If you told me before hand that the cheapest seated ticket with a view was approx €200 euro, I probably wouldn't have bothered getting involved. So in that case I can see that the lack of a pricing structure defo added to the hype - but at the end of the day, it was my own decision whether I ultimately bought a ticket - no one elses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Come off it. Grand, set a price, tell everyone, let them decide if they fancy it. Let's not pretend that that's what happened at the weekend.

I suppose the thing is - with the weekend, no matter HOW you did it, a significant amount of people would be dissappointed, that doesn't mean things couldn't have been done better.

But even in the instance where ticket prices were published prior to the gig - just say the example I gave above. There were seats available to €120 (as well as other tiered ticket prices).

I log on, join the queue, knowing there are seats available at the price I am willing to pay. Get to the top of the queue - there's not seats available for that price (they've all been sold already) - should I blame TM or anyone else, if I then decide to purchase one of the more expensive tickets that I have been presented with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Simple solution. Have a dynamic element of the queue page show the estimated tickets remaining at each price slot that constantly updates.

So you might be 10,000 from top of the queue and see that only €200+ tickets remain. Up to you then to decide whether to stay in the queue or not, and gives you more time to decide too.

There isn't a chance in hell that ticketmaster would do this without being forced to though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Prices don't even seem to drop if demand isn't there. Pantera tickets went on sale in June, standing was initially priced at €80 for pre-sale. On general release they shot up to €150, and eventually over €200 (think €250 was the peak). Three months later, they're still priced at €230. Clearly there isn't much demand if they haven't sold out, so why no drop?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Fanirish

cause the amount of dynamic tickets is minuscule for an event. No issue keeping them high until week of the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Wrong.

There were over 10,000 dynamically priced tickets for each of the Manchester gigs, another 5k platinum.

But that is never going to be an entirely accurate reflection of how many tickets of a specific cost are left at a specific point in time (until the point in time where they are literally all gone)

I honestly don't think it would change anything for those that have a cost in their head and aren't going to go above it no matter what the situation - as should be the case for any right thinking individual - have a budget set - stick to it.

Based on the capacity issues they had at the weekend and for really high deman gigs in general adding something like that may or may not be accurate anyway.

• Advertisement

It might not be entirely accurate, but should help with the shock when price is displayed.

Side note - how long does the timer run once tickets are made available to you before you lose them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I think you have 3 minutes to select the tickets and then another 3 to make the payment... something like that.

Maybe another helping thing could be that as the price goes up, the time you have to make the decision also goes up? Again, ticketmaster won't do this on their own and would need to be instructed to.

Basically we should have systems in place that prevent these sort of pressure tactics that obviously work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Just to say Ticketmaster are now literally completely uncontactable. I sold two tickets for Thomas Dolby gigs in the UK within the last month that I couldn't travel to. I sold them via TM. TM have said they've tried to pay me and to update my bank details, I've done this. Still no payment and receiving emails that they can't pay me. Went into the online chat on Monday morning and received an email I'd be contacted within 24 hours. Nothing, nada. EMailed back and still nothing. No other way of contacting them.

Yes they intentionally removed their phoneline during Covid so as to make it as akward as possible for people seeking refunds for postponed events to contact them.

Must be the only ticket company in the world without a phoneline.

Imagine if Aer Lingus or Irish Rail had no phone line.

I dunno, six minutes should be plenty time to decide and pay if you are going in there with a budget in mind surely even if you weren't aware of what might have been available prior to getting to the top of the queue?

More time given means longer queues possibly?

Pressure tactics - no one is forced to buy a ticket. Many of us here had the opportunity to buy tickets at rates we deemed excessive/outside of our budget - did the pressure tactics work on us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Fanirish

and reality of pressure is if those tickets weren’t dynamic they would have been “vip or platinum” as similar crazy prices and people would have had same decision to make in same time frame.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Don't really have an issue with the timing provided though if you refresh looking for different types of tickets too many times they kick you out of the queue. That's wrong. I should be allowed to take the time provided to look at all the options and if that involves refreshing to ensure there's no normal priced tickets left a number of times, I shouldn't lose my spot in the queue because of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Surely this in itself is a breach of consumer standards.

It was on that consumer programme on tv where it took the programme to get money for tickets which had been resold by TM

Apparently the issue was that the payment could not be applied to the customers CC because of a different BIC and IBAN ?

Of course the customer was never told this in all the to and fro emails for 18 months !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

There definitely wasn't 42 minutes of people paying face value.

A friend of mine was around 7000 in the queue and it dropped rapidly for him. He got to the ticket purchase after approx 15 minutes. No face value tickets left only "in demand" ones, which lets face it are normal tickets at an inflated cost.

He said he wouldn't pay the amount they wanted, and to be fair I don't blame him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I've managed to track down a registered office for the Irish branch, it's in Dublin 2. If I hear nothing by tomorrow it will be old fashioned letter and snail mail.

I was somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 in the queue and got two face value tickets. So there definitely was. At 8.42am (as per my e-mail receipt).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yeah but you can't say there was 42 minutes of face value tickets. The entire Ticketmaster regime is a lottery.

There was over 571 thousand people ahead of me in the queue and I logged on the instant it opened. Some people were low in the queue and only got offered "in demand" tickets. Others were high in the queue and picked up the regular priced ones.

Ticketmaster have no transparency at all. We have no idea (and probably never will) how they decided who got what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Pressure tactics - no one is forced to buy a ticket. Many of us here had the opportunity to buy tickets at rates we deemed excessive/outside of our budget - did the pressure tactics work on us?

Fair enough, it doesn't work on you, well done.

You can surely realise however that it does work on some people, right?

They are a vile organisation, truly revolting.

They use a company called Adyen to process resale payments and they have alot of unecessary red tape.

A friend of mine had terrible issues getting paid out, he threatened to turn up at their office in Dublin and they eventually paid him after leading him up the garden path for months.

They have no problem taking the money but they dont want to pay it back.

Ive no idea why they cant refund the payment to the card used to make the purchase like other companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Introduce a new graduated tax system for event tickets. 0% up to 50 quid, then 30% on the excess up to 100 quid, then 50% on the excess up to 150 quid, and then 90% over that. That's the general idea. Modify your price points as necessary.

There was no great conspiracy on who got access to what. The higher up the queue you were, you were more likely to get face value tickets. The lower in the queue you were, you were more likely the be in the position where only platinum/in-demand tickets were. That part is no secret.

I do agree that nobody knows whether there were 5,000 face value tickets and 155,000 in-demand priced tickets, or only 5,000 in-demand tickets and 155,000 face value tickets. Nobody knows. Generally the amount of in-demand or platinum tickets is relatively low. On Boards, I only saw one poster say they bought an in-demand ticket whereas everyone else seemed to get face-value tickets. Limited sample of course.

Of course they work on some people and not others but suggesting outlawing pressure tactics is daft. They're everywhere in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Okay, it sounds like you accept that this process does place pressure on potential buyers but you think it's a fair level of pressure to apply?

Personally, I disagree - I can't think of a single other example where a person queues for ages to buy something (and the time sunk here makes a big difference IMO), finds out the price when they get to the top of the queue and then has to decide in a matter of minutes whether or not they want to buy or not.

• Advertisement

I don't think that anyone could argue that the somewhat limited amount of time you have to buy/select and the complete the purchase of a ticket doesn't put some modicum of pressure on anyone who wants to buy a ticket. It's an inherent pressure though in some regards because you understandably can't let someone put a ticket in their basket and give them a half an hour to decide.

But people are responsible adults. And we're talking about a concert ticket here. People need to take responsibility for their financial decisions and stop whinging that they were somewhat forced into buying tickets (I'm not saying you're one of those people). And the Oasis thread was full of people who made a decision that the ticket price was too high and walked away.

In any event, if you buy the ticket and afterwards realise that you overpaid (versus your budget) or didn't actually want to spend that money - the facility is there to get the ticket refunded within 24 hours. I've done it plenty of times and never had any issues getting my money back.

Advertisement