Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I think the first thing you need is to be able to do is con some poor sap into paying for you to swan around the world.

After that just call yourself an ‘adventurer’ and you’re away on a hack canter, some poor stupe will sponsor you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why was Donie O'Sullivan, who was scheduled to appear on the Late Late Show (LLS), pushed aside (and I know it wasn't Kielty's decision) in favour of the 2 Johnnies even though a hotel room had already been booked for him by RTÉ?

Did it not occur to the people behind the scenes on the LLS that many viewers might have been interested in Donie's analysis of US politics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Editorial decision was made to drop Donnie. I am not sure how much of an insight into American politics Donie has, the Irish MSM have put him on a pedestal purely because he's on CNN. But then I'd have no interest in either.

As I say RTÉ are in a difficult place when it comes to entertainment, and most likely reason was we have to support our own programming, what little of it we have.

All comes back to the mismanagement of RTÉ.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

The Boy That Never Was, Funding: -

IFCIC helped with production cashflow

• Finnish Impact Film Fund
    • Aristo-Invest
    • BAIE Capital
    • Finnish Cultural Foundation
    • Jenny and Antti Wihuri Foundation
    • Kelonia
    • Konstsamfundet
    • Otava
    • Saastamoinen Foundation
    • Tesi
    • Screen Ireland funding from various funds (Development, Production Continuation Fund, Publicity and Marketing Assets Production Fund, Sustainability Advisor Fund)
    • Creative Europe
    • Section 481 Gov of Ireland
    • Morocco Shooting Support

Production Companies

• Aurora Studios
    • Subotica

End screen has the usual Supported by your Licence Fee, I some how doubt that this will appear on international version of the production.

It would be interesting to know how much RTÉ actual invested in this series. Seems to have been commissioned via the Acquisitions / Co-Productions department

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No, this is not about RTE making it, that was never going to happen. This is when Channel 4 were about to start showing Fr. Ted, Ch4 offered it to RTE and RTE turned it down. It was a year after it started showing in the UK that public pressure forced RTE to finally start showing it. They were terrified of the reaction from the creeping Jesus types.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

If you want to pay for the Currency's column on the new CFO of RTÉ by the former Commerical Director, Mr Willie O'Reilly, he seems to think we have forgotten he left on a redundancy package also. The Currency owned by former Deputy Chair of RTÉ Ian Kehoe

Accountants are known to be cool, calm and collected. RTÉ’s new CFO will need these qualities in spades

You knew her predecessors, were they cool, calm and collected?

https://thecurrency.news/articles/160086/accountants-are-known-to-be-cool-calm-and-collected-rtes-new-cfo-will-need-these-qualities-in-spades/

Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

That is odd. Thanks for the clarification.

I find that odd, because many of the cast were religious. Frank Kelly was a regular mass goer. He had no issue with the show.

I'd actually say that the idea of TV3 showing it might have been a bigger issue. I think they only started showing the programming in 1997.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It seems that Noel Kelly's transgressions of the recent past have been wiped clear - He has the radio airways infested with his bottom of the barrel scrapings (masquerading as talent) - Be it entertainment gurus, psychotherapists, child psychologists, money advisers, tech experts, builders, architects, annoying 'content creators', chefs/cooks, grifter newspaper columnists, transport experts, etc, etc…

Looking at RTE's autumn launch, it's just the same old NK sponsored sh!te with a load of people that nobody really cares about -

RTE: We got our bailout now, so yis can feck off ya peasants

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

aye thats about right,the money is rolling in and we just know theyre going to pish it away as fast as possible,must be a feckin tidal wave flowing down towards sandymount and ringsend!!!

speaking of money…has dee poked her head up looking to get back to the trough yet,only a matter of time id say before shes welcomed back…?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There were still a few complainers writing into the newspapers. Probably people who'd never watched it… the sort who'd have been out at Montrose with their placards and rosaries in the 80s when TLLS was having lesbian nuns or something on.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Couldn’t have put it better myself, Ginneral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

Look on the bright side - at least Op Transformation won't be back after Christmas!

I am guessing it will be replaced by something similar, though I didn't see any announcement. Katherine Thomas hasn't been out of work for the last 2 decades and she's largely worked for independent producers with the odd stint as a stand in radio presenter.

______

Yesterday

I don't think she will be back in RTÉ but I imagine that Dee & Co will turn up somewhere in a new company no bother. Give it another 12 months. Rory has already started a consulting company.

The "Rehab" will work out nicely for all.

______

Yesterday

Well, the legion of Mary got Stringfellows in Dublin shut down many years back, early to mid 2000s or so. I still remember seeing footage of Alan Hughes and his then partner (now husband) walking out of there to be greeted by placards. Hilarious stuff.

We still get those 'I haven't seen it, but I hate it' people. Just in different guises. Catherine Noone tried to start a campaign against MMA. She'd never even watched it, and was just going on an article she'd read.

It's bizarre, plenty of priests spoke about knowing a Fr Jack, or a Bishop Brennan. My uncle's a retired priest, but he loved the show.

The show is unoffensive, it a sit-com about 3 priest, there are some jokes that might be joking about catholic theological teaching at a very basic level, certainly with Fr Dougal for example when he convinces one bishop to become a hippy or when he doesn't get god and an exasperated Ted has to explain that's what they do.

______

Yesterday

Kevin Bakhurst's salary

So on several occassion Mr. Bakhurst has stated that he took a pay cut to return to RTÉ, we assume as Deputy DG & MD of News and CA he was on about €250k - €300k per year, based on salaries of other Executive Board members.

He left RTÉ in 2016 on the arrival of Dee Forbes and when to OfCom

Ofcom publishes the salary details of its Board and Executive Committee. In addition to the individuals named in the Annual Report, there are several individuals whose salaries are greater than £150,000 per year. The names, job titles and salary bands of those individuals are set out in the documents below.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/annual-reports-and-plans/other-financial-reporting/

2017 - £235K - Group Director, Content Media and Policy

2018 - £241K

2019 - £241K

2020 - £248.3K

2021 - £248.3K

2022 - £255.75K- Group Director, Broadcasting and Online Content

In 2022 Dee Frobes had €259K (now this includes the car allowance, but Excludes the Pension of 58k)

Today £255,750 amounts to €303,701 (I am not sure if OfCom include car allowance or Pensions in their total figure*), even still he's not working for OfCom that cover far more than RTÉ does.

And it is only a pay cut due to foreign exchange rates, you could also argue a pay cut as the cost of living in Ireland is also higher, but I doubt he cares about €160 or £169.50 each year maybe he took out a Black and White TV license!

*Pensions, allowances are included in the annual reports, but I think my argument still stands.

______

Yesterday

People always find something to be offended by. Something is the talk of the town for a few days, or a week, and then people forget and move on to the other thing to be offended by.

It'd be funny if it wasn't sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Are there any statistics on licence fee revenue for 2024? (i.e. can we infer any trend of people refusing to pay?)

• Advertisement

Posted a while back, they were down 100k from 2022 in 2024, though the fall had reduced in 2024.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

"Sales" are published weekly here...
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/d5f84-tv-licence-sales/

July and August 2024 figures show an increase of about 10,000 in each month compared with same months in 2023.
    A cynic might suggest that some of the bailout money is being used to "buy" licences from An Post. In other words, a subsidy to both RTE and An Post.

July

76,769 - in 2022 normal year

53,882 - in 2023 just after scandal

66,768 - in 2024

That to me is a loss of 12K from 2022.

Aug

77,736 - in 2022 normal year

54,664 - in 2023 just after scandal

64,799 - in 2024

That to me is a loss of 13k from 2022

Figures don't include DSP free licences (I wrote to An Post a few years ago and in the AR's they have stop including them as part of the collect).

______

Yesterday

And looking at both they year and monthly trends the licence fee will be come close to making the 2023 figure.

Yearly would put it at 770,898

Monthly would put it at 777,122

or €27m about the figuring of the government in their bail out.

______

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

Fair City returns to 4 nights a week from Sept 20th, just shows that the programme has no reach beyond a week.

______

Yesterday

Fair City remains a firm fan favourite with an average weekly reach of 640,000 viewers on linear TV. The series also continues to perform well on RTÉ Player and is one of its Top 10 most streamed programmes for 2024 to date.

https://about.rte.ie/2024/09/06/fair-city-celebrates-35-years-on-our-screens/

I'd love to know where they got this figure, I suppose they say "reach" which is I think the amount of people reached in the week, not the average audience share.

______

Yesterday

https://extra.ie/2024/09/08/news/rte-wants-audience-reaction

A spokesman for RTE stressed that it is a ‘recurring contract’, adding: ‘RTÉ has been running this Audience Reaction Panel since 2007 and that ensuring we receive regular feedback from audiences is an important

Almost all of these are recurring contracts, so over the next 5 years: -

1. 1.2m
    2. 1.9m
    3. 0.6m
    4. 0.3m
    5. 1.8m

Total - 5.8m over 5 years

While "ensuring we receive regular feedback from audiences is an important… element in RTÉ continuing to serve our audiences."

Is the funniest thing I have heard in a while.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

how would one become a consultant to rte?even better a consulting consultant,id work cheap,only charge them a cool half mill a year and i can be consulted about anything…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Advertisement

https://extra.ie/2024/09/12/news/irish-news/george-hamilton-new-channel

He was once one of the top earners, yeah there is a reason he isn't getting paid as much, and Nugent AFAIK took up one of those nice exit packages (but I could be wrong on that).

______

Yesterday

Advertisement