Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spiritan abuse survivors urged to come forward as independent process to begin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Were the school run by a religious order at the time or just under religious patronage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭csirl

The school was run by an Order. Other schools run by the same Order are listed in the report, but not this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Shocked, angry, and sick to my stomach to read the full list of schools and the number of abusers in the report, they are all over the country. This was widespread and the number of different religious orders involved is mind-boggling, they are all toxic and rotten to the core. I dont believe for a minute that the senior management in those orders didn't know or suspect what was going on, yet it was covered up for decades. Any adult who hurts young children or facilitates it, is the dregs of society imo.

The nauseating thing is that the RC set itself up as the moral authority in this country, indoctrinated our citizens into a belief that nearly everything was sinful, and then they let paedophiles and psychopaths loose on the most vulnerable members of our society - children, pregnant single women, people with special needs. It is obscene.

A corrupt organisation should have no control over any service providing education, healthcare, or services for people with any kind of special needs be it old age, mental health issues, disabilities etc. The state needs to ensure our laws protect our citizens instead of outsourcing responsibility to different sectors of an unaccountable organisation that hides behind canon law.

My heart goes out to every person who suffered at the hands of those evil despicable monsters. I hope they get all the support, counselling and help they need.

The numbers are so high for some organisations that you"d have to ask if these organisations only existed for the sick activities with education being a cover they hid behind.

Catholic church should be banned from education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Why aren’t we marching on the streets to rid this dangerous cult from our schools and hospitals? How are these scumbags allowed to decide the “ethos” of our school system?

Have we all got Stockholm Syndrome?

Post edited by Iscreamkone on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Just came across this IT article from 2009 and the orders listed in it are more or less the same ones as in the latest report. Its disgraceful that so little has been done in 15 years to clear out the stranglehold that religious orders have on such vital services in our society.

2009: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/the-18-orders-what-they-do-now-1.773491

2024:

https://www.thejournal.ie/which-schools-named-allegations-sexual-abuse-scoping-inquiry-report-full-list-6478589-Sep2024/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's like walking around in a snazzy black uniform styled by Hugo Boss about 80 years ago, if you don't want to suffer the associations of wearing it then don't wear it, and ideally leave any organisation which does, especially when that organisation has been proven to be entirely sociopathic and amoral.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Catholic Quebec did it from 1960 onwards, and no guillotines required either.

They had it even worse than us if that were possible, the extent of RCC control over health and education at that time was such that government departments of health and education had to be created - they literally had not existed.

We need a plan to end RCC patronage of all schools within five years.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Didn't have to search too hard for my former primary - one of the highest non-fee-paying schools in the country on the list. Plenty of violence there in my time (late 70s on) but never heard a peep about sexual abuse then or since.

Heard some stories about absolute psychopath CBs there in the 1960s, I can well imagine that an atmosphere which tolerated that tolerated known sexual abusers also.

That school only had boys and only from 2nd-6th class, before that we were in the convent school across the road, the parish priest in the mid 70s was well known for visiting that school and selecting both boys and girls for "lifts" in his car and abusing them. He was moved…

I'm sure most priests walk around unnoticed these days in their civvies, the memories of the garb however must be traumatic for survivors of clerical abuse. I wonder if the guy who called to my home might have been a victim of such and wore it for what it represents - terror, power and corruption. A bit like the hooded robes of the kkk.

• Advertisement

Can't imagine how these men are feeling today, I really truly hope they are finally finding peace and healing.

Thought you were talking about the (non-abusing) priests there. They can always leave it if they don't like how their organisation is now, justly, regarded…

You were talking about the victims. Sorry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My school St Joseph's, St Paul's where all my friends went, and colaiste mhuire on parnell where my brother went all made the list, yay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, that's undoubtedly the important issue we should be focusing on in all of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

What, that horrific abuse of children could be uncovered and one of the main columnists of the national paper of repute would take it as an opportunity to gloat over it to settle some petty old scores?
    Thought it was incredibly distasteful and tone deaf myself. Not surprised she remained entirely arrogant enough not to withdraw what she said or even comment when she was rightly castigated about it.

And when did I say that was what we should be focusing on?
    I simply noted it and that the disgusting things she wrote on the topic should not be forgotten -she should be ashamed of it (if she was capable of shame).

Don’t see why you would seek to deflect attention from it either, it was crass self indulgent rubbish entirely lacking in empathy. If that’s your kind of thing off you go.

So you addressed this problem by taking an opportunity to gloat over it to settle some petty old scores yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This one in particular got to me

FIFTY ABUSERS in a school for children with intellectual disabilities.

The absolute evil scum. Picking on the weakest people in society. Hordes of them.

I can only imagine how incredibly droll you thought you were when sending that

Almost as smug as your damsel in distress Roisin was in her horrible article gloating over children that teased her being raped

Again I don’t know why you’d take issue with someone criticising her disgusting article in a thread entirely germane to the topic

I've absolutely no idea what Ingle said on this topic. I just find it odd that you'd take the release of the report as the opportunity to dig up whatever grudge you've been carrying round and give it an airing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭PixelCrafter

Yeah, I remember it well. I didn't experience any abuse, but I can see exactly how it could have flourished. I went to several schools, so I know there are big differences in atmosphere. That's why I always find when people tend to critique schools here you always get someone going on about how lovely their school was, but Irish schools are not homogenous. A lot depends on the particular management and the culture and ethos that builds up.

We'd a lot of bullying, most of which came directly from a group of core staff. They'd humiliate, participate in bullying and so on. I was in school more so in the 1990s.

They created an atmosphere where you didn't squeal, didn't rat anyone out. It was rather like a rather screwed up version of the worst of military boot camp culture, or even prison culture in many ways. That's the kind of environment where bullying and abuse can survive and proposer.

I'm not sure why anyone thought that this was a good environment to bring kids up in. It just seemed to be all about aggression and being constantly told to shut up and never express yourself. I mean, what careers were they actually envisaging we'd all work in? 19th century factory workers or something, doffing the cap to authority at all times?

I don't really think I ever 'enjoyed' school. It was more a case of enduring it.

Anyway, I don't want to go on about me, as I didn't have any experiences of the kind of abuse being discussed, but I think there was a lot wrong with the kinds of places we were educated and there's a terrible unwillingness to critique them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

An organisation which was deemed to be untouchable and beyond reproach.

Okay so you admit you’ve no idea what you’re talking about, just couldn't pass up an opportunity to be a smartarse - maybe go and have a look for yourself first in future before wading in without a clue

I’m reminding people of the horrible article she wrote on exactly this topic when the story first broke.
    Seen as she didn’t see fit to retract it or issue an apology over it why should she get off with people forgetting about it when the story has returned to the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

the patriots stance on this on twitter seems to be that it is the fault of "homosexuals" who infiltrated the church so they could get access to children

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

An absolutely shocking vista of widespread sexual abuse of children in our schools. I'm disgusted at these revelations but sadly not all that surprised - 64 allegations of abuse in my former school and 11 alleged abusers.

Paedophile rings also operated with complete impunity in many schools. It's just vile beyond belief. Looking at the schools on that list, it seems that the special schools for disabled children - the most vulnerable of all - were especially rife with abuse and abusers. Paedophiles were attracted to these schools with the most vulnerable children. Sickening.

I also think that many more people will come forward now to disclose the abuse that happened to them - the allegations to date are just the tip of the iceberg.

After 30 years now of damning revelations - it is abundantly clear that the Catholic church and the religious orders are all completely rotten to the core and should not only be forced to recompense their countless victims but also forcibly disbanded, all their assets seized and completely expunged from Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Marcos

"The only way ultimately to make them go is to try and bankrupt them."

While I agree with this, you'll be lucky. The CBS have gone through this before, especially in Canada and Australia, so they transferred all their assets to a trust to ensure they can't be bankrupted afaik.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

It's still untouchable.

Little or no appetite to prosecute those abusers still left alive. No accountability whatsoever for those in positions of power who covered up for them - not one ever even brought in for questioning.

The orders promised to pay a pathetically small amount of money leaving the lion's share of abuse compensation to the taxpayer. But they haven't even paid that and no government has had the guts to pursue them.

RCC retains control of about half of secondary schools and nearly 90% of primary schools, even though taxes pay for the building, staffing and running of these schools. They are putting lay trusts in place to protect their financial assets and ensure religious control remains after all the priests, nuns, "brothers" (ugh, what a vile bunch) are gone.

Orders like the CBs are giving two fingers to the courts when victims bring civil cases, forcing the victims to sue them individually rather than collectively.

All of this is amazing really but not all that surprising when you remember that a huge proportion of government ministers ever since the foundation of the State and to this very day were educated in the most elitist, fee-charging religious order schools.

• Advertisement

I admit that I've no idea what you're talking about. I just find it strange that in the light of horrendous revelations about the endemic levels of physical and sexual abuse of children in religious schools, the point you choose to highlight is an article with no factual errors which details another obnoxious aspect of the culture in those schools.

It's interesting too that you'd bring of the matter of 'deflecting attention' yourself.

Ah right the article has no factual errors, you’ve no opinions on matters relating to taste where the article is concerned?

There’s nothing strange about discussing the coverage of a national story in the relevant thread, it’s very common across the site.
    Are we not allowed discuss coverage, particularly coverage so out of pace with all other coverage on such harrowing and saddening news? I expect never to see you taking issue with a journalists take on any given topic in future so

Oh it’s “interesting” is it, go on then what’s so “interesting”, don’t just beg the question, would love to hear it.

Nothing has changed. This is not a historic situation. It is still happening today. In 20 years time we'll be reading reports about child abuse in catholic schools in the 2020s.

Unless we have big changes, we'll have another generation of abuse.

How many sheep will be giving out about this, and then lining their kids up for the confirmunions come May 2025

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,145 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you have specific evidence of this, then please present it to the guards ASAP.

If it's just a suspicion - I agree with you. The social conditions that created child-sex abusers haven't changed. The church isn't providing cover for them any more, but there are plenty of other places to operate.

Personally I'm picking that the sex abuse and abuse-collusion we'll be hearing about in 20 years will have happened in Direct Provision centres. With no priest/brothers/nuns involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Yet people will still send their kids to a church to make their communion and confirmation this year and celebrate it with a big day out??

The gross misrepresentation of that article here on Boards and elsewhere and the faux-concern was pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

All church/religious land should be seized for housing,a redress scheme for all victims funded by the religious orders should also be set up.

Never came across any pedo teachers in my time at school but I remember one "brother" who got off by hitting you with a teak stick on both hands, I remember the pain was unbelievable, he would be frothing at the mouth with the effort he put into inflicting pain.he had just returned from the missions in Africa,God knows what damage he did out there.Prick.

Misrepresentation?
    Yes Boards, elsewhere, everywhere really the reaction to that article in the main was that it was a crass, self indulgent load of tone deaf rubbish…but you and a scant few others apparently have the perspicacity to know what Ingle “really” meant?

It doesn’t speak much to her qualities as a writer that so many people could completely misinterpret what she was apparently saying, does it?
    And if it was simply a case that she’d been taken the wrong way, why, particularly with the opprobrium that ensued, would she not come out and clarify her point as it was?

She didn’t do that because it actually was nothing more than a crass, self indulgent load of tone deaf rubbish - she realised she’d completely misread the room and just made no acknowledgement of the reaction whatsoever in the hope it’d fade away

Empathy and sensitivity that you would expect in the treatment of such horrible news, it was not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A school closed to me had "5 accusers and 5 accused". That means that each boy was abused by one priest or the 5 were abused by a multiple of the 5 if taken at face value.

Absolutely not a hope in hell that 5 abusers only have 5 victims in a situation like this so the real figure surely goes way beyond 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

5 accusers who were brave enough to come forward is all that number means.

This was, is and will continue to be a paedophile ring operating with impunity, a disgusting cohort of child sexual abusers allowed to continue thier vile actions over almost a century (or more) in this country and others.

And still people will flock to get their children indoctrinated into the teachings that allowed it to happen. It's such strange behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’ve been cynical about that for years now- a lot of it is just about the social occasion and not wanting your child left out but also it’s about ensuring your child has the best chance to get into their preferred secondary school when it’s a Catholic run institution

Indeed the awful truth of it all is that this is probably only scratching the surface…how many perpetrators have passed on never to face justice, and more sadly how many victims have passed on never to receive it

That nonsense doesn’t exist anymore.

It’s time we all took anaction instead of tut tut on social media.

Your kids will ask you in 20 years what were you thinking bringing us to the church when you all KNEW what they had done…

What example are we setting for future generations??

We talk about accountability in this country yet people are still happy to let their kids be ordained by priests and go to confession etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

My secondary school is on the list. One allegation and one alleged abuser. About 15% of pupils were boarders so wonder was it one of them. Surprised that my CBS primary school isn't on the list. There were a couple of Brothers still teaching when I was there. Lots of leather and one guy used a drumstick every day. If you misbehaved he would make you stand at the back of the class for about an hour and would eventually administer punishment. The waiting was the worst.

• Advertisement

For those around at the time , anyone surprised at the number of abusers listed? I knew of 3 but there were I think 12 or 13 listed - I’m thinking they may have been before my time, sometime in the 60s or 70s

I didn’t say I agreed with it- I just described parental thinking on the subject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Titanium11

I sadly feel that adults are always going to abuse children. Who are people going to abuse. They will abuse the weakest in society.

There needs to be much more safeguarding. An adult should never be left alone with children. In schools now, there should be two adults in every class, not one.

And yes that is possible as they could hire more teaching assistants

Schools are full of abuse.

You have children, away from their parents.

I once worked in a very posh international school in a different country, in a non teaching role.

Parents were paying huge money to send their kids to this school. I remember being shocked at the things that were going on. I didn't see any physical or sexual abuse. If I had I would have reported it straightaway

But I saw a lot of verbal abuse by teachers to very young children. I did complain about one of the worse teachers, to senior staff.

I remember parents coming in for open day and walking around talking about how lovely the school was, and I was thinking "if only you knew what happened when you're not here"

I left that school as I hated the atmosphere

Seizing church lands for redress has been on the cards decades now- I think the government are still waiting on some religious orders to “donate” previously promised lands and buildings - but even then what was agreed at the time was a derisory amount - if I remember it was like a few % of the total cost that redress to victims was estimated to be .

Also the legal set up of some religious orders makes it near impossible to squeeze funds out of them - if a citizen wishes to sue say the Christian brothers for past abuse, the way this “society” or whatever is set up , you have to sue each and every brother or list them all unless a volunteer brother steps forward (which they haven’t) or something very similar to that - you can’t just write “Christian Brothers HQ” on the legal documentation - I’m explaining it badly but in essence, it’s a legal nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

When we are talking priests 2 adults would be no good because they are probably both child rapists anyway.

The local rapist priest in my local church was the father trendy type who used give guitar lessons and take kids away on trips. Thankfully doing time now for 2 counts of rape.

God humans can be disgusting

I just think how could they do that to a child, knowing it will ruin the rest of their life.

I suppose they don't care . The power and abuse and destruction of another human being is the thrill of it.

There are so many things that need to be implemented in schools to keep children safer

• Advertisement

The cases Im aware of were reported to Gardai and a file went to the DPP. No prosecution due to alleged mental health issues claimed by the accused.

Order completely ignored the D/Educatiion Child Protectiion Procedures. Individual continued to work while under investigation and file with DPP.

Individual still works in a school.

Advertisement