Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster House Bicycle Shed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Who cares,it's a green policy,greens own it.Odonnell has to sign off on this rubbish to appease the greens and keep them in Government.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure…

though it does make you wonder how much replacing the lawn with a car park cost. and how much the archaeological consultation on that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Bit of an auld sanding and a coat of hammerite surely? 800k....16 Gates, I need to get into the gate restoration game.

I'd love to know where/how the money is spent and what kind of profit margin there is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

So it’s the fault of a spineless politician?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If you're paying 100k p.a. for the services of a master craftsman - I'd hope he'd be able to restore 8 pairs of gates in less than 8 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

They are all spineless when comes to the greens,FFG Have bent over backwards at all levels to keep the greens onside,the greens threats to destabilise the country by bringing down the government are reprehensible.

The greens have been the most sinister and insidious political party to have ever been in Government.Hopefully we soon see the back of them.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Also the bridge over the Strawberry Beds in Dublin which took months to restore. Cost at least €1.5m, it took months but I rarely saw more than a few people on the job

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/senator-calls-reopening-date-historic-27658425.amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Who cares about the truth ?

The Green Party Ministers have their own portfolios to look after and now you expect them to check on every project the other Ministers are doing as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes who did sign off on this?

I hope Harris takes a hammering from the opposition when The Dail resumes

• Advertisement

I was just pointing out that the gate project was a bigger and more detailed project than the bicycle shelter.

A lot more than a bit of hammerite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I think taxpayers have been rightly ridden..

I'll get my coat...

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

he’s taken charge of the shelter now, to house international protection seekers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

There'll be that awkward moment when the Dail resumes and a 19th cyclist arrives.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Apparently Kieran O'Donnell has now called for a full investigation, sounds like he doesn't even know what is going on in his own portfolio, the monolith that is the O.P.W. seem to be a law upon themselves.

I would like to see the tendering process documents and which one they ran with, civil service have to have at least 3 to choose from, maybe all of this will go to the PAC as its a total waste of taxpayers money, where is the value here??

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/minister-demands-review-of-336000-spend-on-shelter-for-18-bikes-at-leinster-house-as-taoiseach-labels-cost-extortionate/a1502076818.html

sod the investigation into the bike shelter, there needs to be a wider investigation into the OPW's whole procurement process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

some contractor is about to win the lotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I think it looks nice. Just missing a bike tool stand and a track pump.

People dont seem to get so upset for some reason on the vast array of car parking made available to public servants.

Post edited by Pinch Flat on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

There needs to be an investigation into all these state departments and agencies, especially the black hole that is the HSE the biggest wasters there is. Also till there is accountability at the top then there won't be accountability all the way down. We have Harris saying he is angry about this and yet he was the one that signed off on the blank cheque for the childrens hospital and look at what that has cost and yet what happens to him he gets promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

it's possible that they used an existing framework agreement to deal with one or more pre-qualified tenderers. I'd have thought that some degree of competitive tendering would be required for costs of that scale, but OPW may have their own rules.

whatever they're doing, it's clearly a gross failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Do people really think people were given a back hander to pay so much for the shelter? I saw some comments along this line and I wonder do people really think that way

I worked with civil servant for well over a decade and my experience is incompetency is way way more likely. I saw calls for people to be fired and jailed for this. Do people really think that is reasonable?

There will be some sort of an investigation.

Will it answer all the questions ? Probably not.

Will anything change at OPW ? Very little.

You are right they are a monolith and always have been but they only continue to be due to lack of oversight and compliant politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭I told ya

A few years ago there was a concert in the Phoenix Part by an international music star. 2/3 nights, can't remember how many. I'm sure the OPW got a nice fee for use of the PP.

Totally unrelated, I was told by a now former employee of the OPW that the head guys on the OPW had jetted off to Australia on see how to run a public park.

Now, I don't know if there are similar parks in Aus but I would have thought that Great Windsor Park would have been a good starting point, not the other side of the world.

It's very easy to spend other peoples' money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Whoever built it has probably taken early retirement the lucky fúcker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

They (TDS) have probably all been told to make sure its filled up to capacity on the re-opening of the Dail on the 18th September, all 18 bike spaces. Its gone viral now and all over media outlets. Everyone is talking about it.

Post edited by kravmaga on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

"a full investigation" is Irish politico speak for "circle the wagons and ride it out".

36 spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Randycove

I don’t think anyone is critical of what they built and why they built it, the only concern seems to be that they spent well over quarter of a million euro building a bike shed. In fact, it isn’t even a shed, it’s a roof over bog standard bike stands.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you look at the Marc MacSharry video on X, it looks like there has been a lot more work done than simply constructing a bicycle shed. The tarmac looks brand new, the concrete or paving under the bicycle shed looks brand new.

I would guess that what has happened here is that they have done extensive works (maybe re-done that entire part of the car park), a small part of which happens to be installing a bike shed, and they've used the Active Travel funds to pay for it.

This is the sort of thing you really wouldn't get away with in most companies as procurement would be much stricter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭fliball123

If there is proof of fraud - Yes they should be investigated and jailed. There needs to be more enphases on white collar government related procument and crime. There should be a mandatory fraud squad investigation with every procurement decision made going forward to make sure there is no one taking the p1ss and go through the last decade where there are situations where it is obvious that money has disappeared into a black hole. Also if the civil servants are incompetent then they should be sacked and have their pension taken from them. We need accountability the tax payer is being fleeced and we cant even house ourselves. As others pointed out the bike shed should be the start and all other areas of spend needs to be looked at but things have to change look at RTE not one person held accountable imagine if Dee Forbes had been pulled into a court room by the fraud squad and asked about one of the many smoking guns that show that fraud took place say the barter account she could of been locked up and it would of been a deterrent for anyone looking to gouge at the state coffers going forward. Same goes with the children's hospital from 500 million to over 2 billion in a few years that's absolutely mad there has to be someone making a forturne on this and not giving value for to the tax payer for it. Its not just financial accountability I mean look at our government making promise after promise to get power and not delivering on what got them into office and they may get voted out but will have a lovely big pension to suckle on for the rest of their lives.

Its clear from the outside looking in that once the state is involved with regards to finance the people/company who get the job/contract start rubbing their hands together for their payday as the money supply is endless and this needs to stop. Someone impartial needs to looking at the spend side on every decision made and calling out what is a shameful waste of money and more accountability as in arresting people and making them fully accountable for their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Its clear from the outside looking in that once the state is involved with regards to finance the people/company who get the job/contract are start rubbing their hands together for their payday as the money supply is endless and this needs to stop. Someone impartial needs to looking at the spend side on every decision made and calling out what is a shameful waste of money.

Who would be looking at the spend, and how much do you think that would cost?

We'd then need someone else to keep an eye on the first scrutineer, at a further cost.

And on, and on…….

So just leave it then is it? So the tax payer should just remain bent over that table wiating for yet another government related procurement decision to takes its turn on them? Is that your solution? If they beefed up the fraud squad giving it more power to look at something with out having to be called in. There is a chance that someone in the fraud squad could be corrupt but something has to change and it will cost money but it will be a fraction of the cost of what is going on currently but I do hear you who would keep an eye on them and up and up we go. Having said that how many man/woman years of of work with people actually looking at our procurement system could we have gotten for the 1.5billion overspend in the children's hospital and we could always incentivize for example the bike shed lets be honest it should of cost 20/30k say 30k. if someone was watching the procurement procedure and interjected and saved the state 300k you could always give them 10% of the savings so its in their own interest to blow the whistle. There are ways and means to get people to work for the state correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Contractor who did the work needs to be named and shamed and then sued to recoup the excessive cost they charged.

Department head or person in the civil service who signed off on this then needs to be fired.

This sort of thing is exactly why the politicians who advocate they can fix every problem if only we'd give them more money to do so should not be trusted.They can't even manage the simplest of tasks without squandering money how can they be trusted to spend tax payers money more wisely to fix real problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Honestly, the Aus trip sounds unlikely, but an FOI request would confirm it either way.

How do you magically fill up a bike shed with bikes, in the building with most journalists per square metre in the State, without leaking?

But I think the problem may be that the contractor actually did 300k worth of work, a small part of which was installing a bike shed.

And that the OPW have used the "Active Travel fund" to book this cost as entirely being a bike shed.

I would bet the issue here is entirely in the OPW, funding works unrelated to active travel using active travel money.

it's been mentioned on the thread on the same topic in the cycling forum, that there are claims now on reddit that the car park was resurfaced and they lashed that in as part of the bike shelter work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Which contractor?

I assume there was more than 1 if not several more.

The company tasked with building a bespoke bike shed with glass, granite and steel probably in reality are not the same company who did the ground works surrounding it.

Also It's obviously a hilarious amount of money for what is essentially a bike shed, but is it excessive?

How do you gauge that? How much do bespoke bike sheds containing these type of material usually go for?

Either way no contractor will be get sued unless they committed some sort of fraud.

I mean if the contractor(s) were contracted to supply a kit shed that are massed produced, that is what they would have supplied, that isn't what they were asked for though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

And the predicted Green Party seats in the next general election is how many ? 🤪

depends on if they are on a tandem then 2 😁

there must be some sort of equivalent of godwin's law, in relation to how quick people blame the green party for government f***ups, on boards, the journal, etc.

The greens are in government and they are the ones putting emphasis on all things bike related so they can take a good bit of the blame on this regardless.

like Eamon Ryan? No wonder he was smirking on RTE talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Amazing the amount of deflection where the blame should lie with FF/FG, being funneled toward the Greens. Very well done by our permanent rulers.

• Advertisement

This isn't really a government screw up though, is it?

This is a civil service, specifically the OPW, screw up.

it's a screwup people are rushing to pin on the greens, regardless.

and the irony is that it could be very possible that the vast bulk of the spend will have been on a facility for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

Doesn't the OPW report to the Minister of State?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If you’re referring to my post I think you’re missing the point- the Green Party aren’t high in the polls right now- considering they’re famous for riding bikes to the Dail , if they do poorly in the next election that’s around the corner there will even be less demand for this Dublin apartment priced bicycle protection unit that doesn’t protect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

There's a distinct difference between green policy and green party

Green Policy is like some weird religion at this stage, you can get away with nearly anything if you declare it to be green or, better for the environment, and enough people believe you (Not a bike shed it would seem).

Green Party are a political party that believe in sustainable policy (which some might argue green policy is a part of, but maybe not to the extent of a 300k Bike shed).

• Advertisement
Advertisement