Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Reading on Villatalk (for what its worth!) and sounds like Emery has been trialling Bogarde at RB, so the thinking is that he will play there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Just turned on. Was the Bailey injury bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Ollie really should have scored there after great work from rodgers, confidence must be on the floor, well on top now. Baileys didn't look to bad.

Onana great free kick

Reckon he could be back after international break

Take dinge off please

Onana may go at HT, because I doubt he’s too far off a 2nd yellow.

Watkins definitely hasn’t found his scoring boots yet that he misplaced over the summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Set plays an Onana may be a theme this season. Don't want to let them have as much of the ball going forward as they did at the end of the 1st half but no matter your opinion of Leicster we are leading away at half time and these are the games where you have to grind out results if you want to be finishing near the top of the table.

Hopefully Bailey is ok but Ramsey is definitely a good player to be able to bring on.

Get through the first 5-10m of the second half then hopefully they will leave gaps as they push on for an equaliser and we hit them for 2-0 then maybe 3 later. Would be great if Watkins could get on the score board.

• Advertisement

watkins pulled again at the 60 min mark

Beautiful header and Duran is starting to put Watkins under some real pressure now

might lose the starting berth to duran

2 nil big goal

Duran's all round play looks much better. He was an inch off a perfect through ball to Rogers and he's not been afraid to pass the ball back either.

duran chickened out of that ball there, bogarde beaten all ends up, to easy. 1-2 game on

• Advertisement

mcginn booked now aswell been poor imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Bogarde is out of his depth. A big mistake not to sign a right back. None of our current backs look good enough.

Need to get a grip of the midfield again here and take the sting out of it

Ya I've mentioned the RB situation on here before, bizarre to say the least.

Leicester are a decent side as seen by 2nd half performance Vs Spurs, they have dominated possession here and we can't get on the ball at all.

Not the greatest performance but 3pts and we move on

Got the W in the end, worries around Ollie and the injuries to bailey and onana. Bundeia an unused substitute again today, thought he might have got minutes for either mcginn or Rogers. Maybe the early substitutions had a bearing on this.

• Advertisement

Nothing could be done at RB. It was 1 in for 1 out and nobody wanted Cash, Carlos or Dendoncker. Not a lot the club could do.

Barkley was a passenger after he came on. Might have been better to keep the lad we sent out to Valencia. Suppose time will tell.

It won’t be Bogarde after the international break anyway. If Carlos is fit, he probably starts with Konsa out at RB. If not, he will surely place more trust in Nedeljkovic at home.

Either way, it was a tactical decision that didn’t really work out for Emery today. But ultimately it’s 3 points, so I think he will sleep ok about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I didnt see any of todays game. But it sounds like it was messy and scrappy. So happy to just get the win. 2 wins out of 3 is a good start going into the international break. Not bad timing for a break given we seem to have a few niggly injuries. Hopefully the break is long enough to sort most of those niggles out.

Everton seem to be struggling, hopefully it stays that way until we play them!

Dendoncker gone to Anderlecht on loan yesterday. Reading we are paying 50% of his wages.

There were no minutes for him this season so you absolutely take that

Theres reports we turned down offers for Duran on deadline day from West Ham and Chelsea from Total Villa on Twitter and he names the source. I can see Chelsea being that crazy but West Ham have plenty up front now.

Antonio and Fullkrug aren’t exactly long term options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Champions league ticket prices.. .. ...

Left with no comment !

https://x.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1831295257654481377?t=SqamQ6KB-uMoe7W1x6H55w&s=08

Yeah they are hefty, and I’ve flights booked for all 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I’ve got a season ticket so £79 for my ticket I’m considering not going as I feel I’m being ripped off, ironic that UEFA have lowered the cap for CL away tickets to €60 with a further reduction expected next season, this should be the benchmark.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t expect it to change btw. They have obviously known this would be the reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Not my place to jump in as a Newcastle fan.

But in contrast we charged £55-£60 per game ( it was a £165 3 game package for season ticket holders)

No doubt they will sell out, but interesting to see what you think? personally that pricing is a disgrace

the £30-35 extra is only getting an extra 6m from what we made last year over your 4 games, but surely a sponser would have covered that.

Very unfair to the fans.

Agreed it is a disgrace Liverpool tried this a couple of seasons ago but there was a backlash from the fans so they didn’t charge what they intended unfortunately I don’t think Villa fans would protest as much as Pool fans.

Seen a few comments that PSR is the reason for the increase to try and increase revenue but whatever the reason it’s the fans that suffer.

They’ll have anticipated the reaction. There will be a PSR element to it for sure, but that won’t stop it being unaffordable to many.

True and with Munich & Juventus at home, first time in the competition for 42 years they’ll probably still sell out even at those prices.

Honestly, I think they should have had 2 price tiers split between the 2 categories of games. With the pricing more reasonable for Bologna and Celtic to allow people who might not be able to afford the increased prices, to still experience the big CL occasion.

Emi nominated for Ballon D’or

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Imagine being a season ticket holder for the last 20 years and with all the lows that came with that, following the team in the Championship and then you see those ticket prices.

• Advertisement

Am I mad for expecting that the Bayern and Juve games were gonna be around the price of the season ticket ones?

The bit that I’m most stunned by is the lack of a discounted ticket for going to all 4 games, and the fact that Bologna and Celtic are in that exact same bracket in spite of them being the same kind of games we watched in Europe last year.

I don't think you'd get German teams doing the same thing tbh.

You wouldn’t, but I don’t think there are comparisons to be made with Germany at the moment.

Given how massive revenue is now to compete at all in the Premier League, in this PSR era, the relevant comparison is with the other teams who compete in Europe, and unfortunately Villa still seem to be falling short in this regard.

Take #2

Maybe I'd think he was a Gobsh!te if he wasn't a Villa man / I wasn't a Villa fan but by god I love Emi. Only goalkeeper nominated for the Ballon D'or. Does that by default mean the best goalie in the world is a Villa player? He did win the Yashin award last year afterall.

I think it’s becoming more and more clearly defined that he is.

Jonathan David:

“David was one of the players that was most enquired about this summer, from many teams. It looked like Aston Villa would go after him with everything they had, but the deal never came off because they could not find an agreement with either the player or the club.”

Meanwhile it seems we did officially bid for that youngster from Turkey too:

As quoted by Turkish outlet Aslinda (Former Besiktas GM), Engin revealed that Villa made an offer of €15m for Kilicsoy, which was turned down by Besiktas.

Would not be surprised to see us going back in for either next summer but would guess that David will be looking for big wages given it seems he had multiple opportunities to leave this summer and is staying at Lille so that he can presumably have his pick of clubs on a free transfer next year. Hopefully he can be next season's Tieleman's or Kamara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Looks to me like some ex of Emi must have made a comment in the past, and its still stuck in his head!

Hard to imagine we were in for David unless Watkins was being sold.

Anyone else give in and pay the crazy prices for Bayern tickets?

I bought one but the whole thing has made me a bit cynical and reconsider everything. I’m missing a few matches this season Everton will be my first so im thinking whether I actually renew next year. I’ve also got a good away history but having been to most grounds I might let that lapse it’s just the thought that once it’s gone it’s gone. Ultimately though I recognise that it’s my choice and if I don’t buy the tickets there’s plenty more that will.

Another thing that puts things in perspective is the fan experience at the ground the fact that food quality at the ground is poor, a can of beer is £6, staff are untrained queues can be half an hour or more so for £75 you would expect a lot better. I was at Walsall for the preseason friendly and there’s no comparison between that experience and Villa Park.

I was always a traditionalist and felt we should never move from Villa Park but really if revenue is crucial for PSR, rather than the disruption of modernising Villa Park they should just commit to building a new 60k seater stadium

I think the short term hit on finances for footballing growth is the reason the club isn’t working on an increased capacity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement