Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2023/24

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Barca were already down to ten by then though, so not really a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I felt the same last season too

They're just not good to watch, it's really boring.

Koeman got alot of criticism for playing awful stuff (rightfully so) but the only difference between Koeman and Xavi is Xavi's team can close up shop in the back and be happy with the 1 nil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why did Madrid not buy Laporte?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

Greizmann!! Tidy header. Loving the way they show highlights on split screen while match is ongoing.

Madrid defence is terrible.

2 crosses, 2 goals.

3 crosses, 3 goals.

Honestly some of the worst defending you'll see at this level. Even at junior football level, you wouldn't see a team concede 3 uncontested headed goals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Delighted Real got showed up.

Tough time ahead for Barca?

If there's any truth in these refs bribes stories, I wonder what sort of penalty they could face?

It's Barca, so a gentle slap on the wrist is my guess.

• Advertisement

Watching him for a load of games now, I wonder how Rudiger has gotten to this level of football?

He is a shockingly poor defender.

Madrid need to get their defence sorted out or they'll win nothing this season. They gave up 3 free headers v Atleti and were punished. They have given up 3 free headers tonight v Girona and luckily for them escaped. Better teams won't be so generous.

Barca hit with a half mill fine.

They will have to search down the back of a few more sofas, or else sell off more of the family jewels.

Barca 2 - 4 Girona

What a result. Girona continue to play great football and get what they deserve.

Will they be able to sustain it all season? Could they do a Leicester? Would be a great story.

I don't think the story would be as romantic as you think it may be.

Would be a welcome change form Barca and Real though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

While most would welcome a an end to the Barca, Madrid domination, it'd be a shortsighted fool who'd want the Abu Dhabi virus infecting Spanish football as it has the EPL.

If it were to be successful, it would prove that the era of the Leicester Citys of this world is over and only a behemoth organisations with State backing can succeed in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Pep's younger brother (an agent with some big name clients) is involved in some capacity and they seem to do a fair bit of business with Barca.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

And I wasn't aiming my comments at you NIMAN. I'm sure a lot don't. And I'm sure that's how they'd like it.

Unfortunately we now live in a world where football is now a geo political tool to garner support and influence.

Its one of the reasons I'm supporting clubs closer to home these days. At least when I'm standing beside the pitch, I know who and what I'm looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Alaves manager losing it last night after conceding in injury time to lose 1-0 😁

Great game, Girona Atleti. 3 2 at halftime.

Finished 4 3 , Girona getting winner in added time.

Fair play to them, they are not fading. Played really well.

Post edited by NIMAN on

Barca spanked by Madrid in the Super Sports Washing Cup.

Tough times for Xavi.

• Advertisement

Barcelona are hopeless, there is a serious lack of quality in the side.

What in Gods name are they thinking going ahead with the redevelopment of the Nou Camp ?

Its costing 1.5Bn now it seems, utter madness.

Is that to add to their 1.2bn current debt?

Yes .

The Club agreed financing with a total of 20 investors to the value of 1.450 billion Euro, they will repay 107m per year.

Utter madness.

Any wonder Laporta looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders last night at the game. The performance didn't help of course.

He might be in charge of busting FC Barca.

You can see why they need the ESL so badly.

I'm stunned that goal was allowed, it makes a mockery of VAR and you cannot help thinking if it was Almeria scoring the goal would the goal be allowed....

Wow that Barcelona keeper is atrocious

Delighted Barca lost that game.

Xavi announces he is leaving at the end of the season......if he lasts that long!

Reckon the pressure will only rise and their reullts will taill off for the rest of the seson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Who will be the next cult member to give it a go?

The club's been a mess for years, dining out on Mes que un club but that's not paying the bills anymore. It's hard to see what they can offer a manager beyond the nauseating 'This is Barca' rhetoric. Financially, they are struggling to compete on a European level. There are good young players coming through but Barca fans are just not patient enough.

• Advertisement

Madrid will be gutted conceding that injury time equaliser to Atleti.

They bossed the game.

Looks like La Liga is over for this season.

Madrid played well in what I thought could have been a potential banana skin for them.

Thinking about future signings, I think they should forget about Mbappe (Vini Jr doing a good job and couldn't play in the same team as Mbappe imho) and plough all their efforts into Haaland. They create loads of chances and Haaland would be a fantastic outlet up top for them. Natural replacement to Benzema.

They also need to strengthen their defence a bit, but once all the injured players are back, they aren't too bad there. Not much time left in Carvajal, don't think Mendy is good enough. Davies from Munich would fit their style of play, but he's not the greatest at defending.

Is it just me, or has there been recent anti-Vini Jr sentiment coming out of Madrid?

Reports that he's annoys the powers that be, that he is bringing unwanted attention on the club. Acting childish, hard to work with.

Are they angling to sell him for massive money, so that mbappe can take his spot in the team, as they kinda occupy the same position on the pitch.

With the imminent arrival of mbappe and Endrick, I wouldn't be surprised to see him somewhere else soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I'd say he's sick of the racist abuse he gets in Spain also

That handball in the Betis game is some joke

What the **** is the point of VAR

Great game at Girona today, Barca 2 1 up at half time and go on to lose 4 2, securing CL football for Girona. So happy for them, they have been great to watch this season.

Guy came on as sub and scored 2 and assisted another in 9 min spell.

And Barcas loss handed Real Madrid the title.

I'm not convinced by playing Vinícius Júnior and Mbappé together can be a success. We saw tonight both players want to be on that left position and none of them are actually getting into the box. It's going to be easy to defend against, both players constantly want to cut in and even if they go down the outside, who's going to be in the box to finish the chances off. I think they are really missing a proper number 9.

Joselu would of been a very handy sub to bring on together.

I'm not sure how that was a peno for Madrid tonight, thought was a disgraceful handball decision

Poor start from Madrud, 5pts from 9 and not playing well.

Mbappe nothing special. Trying to shoehorn him into a successful team when there was no space for him might just backfire on them unless they can find a solution.

Also miss Toni Kroos so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Here is a great comment from a spokesperson for the Football Supporters' Association (FSA), which represents fans in England and Wales, reacting to the news that Valencia are introducing dynamic pricing for ticket purchasing.

"With impeccable timing after the Oasis fiasco, voices in football have started to float the idea of infecting football with dynamic pricing. Never underestimate the potential for the most greedy owners in football to try and import terrible ideas from other industries to exploit supporter loyalty. Matchgoers are already mobilising against the recent wave of price rises and attacks on concessions. Any underhand increases will be met with enormous opposition."

Good words, excellently chosen.

The problem is, yes the local fans might make a stand and refuse to buy dynamically priced tickets, but as long as the stadium can be filled with football tourists who have plenty of disposable money, the suits won't care.

Bums on seats is all that matters to them.

Advertisement