Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LSL to charge for the App

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 nippy12

I'd imagine it's hard to focus on a screen and then lads a few yards away ur eyes would be shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭DBK1

My thoughts exactly. Anyone that thinks standing in the sellers box will get them a better price has a lot to learn about marts.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭grass10

Bass reeves fully understands how marts work most farmers have no understanding of how they work I buy hundreds of cattle every year in multiple marts all in person I use online as an information tool as part of my business lsl has saved me thousands in providing mart catalogues so for example if a mart has only a small catalogue I probably won't attend it has made purchasing animals very efficient people don't realise how much time and money you can waste going to a mart when their may be no animals to suit you, I rarely bid online as their are traders selling in most marts and some farmers selling and using their pals to poll up

The reality now in most marts is the manager is the online bidder against the ring for cowsand heavy cattle with some factories and feedlot bidding online, calves in the spring are similar with the shippers just taking their turns against the mart manager and the farmer thinks because you have 20 lads standing around the ring that they are all bidding on each other that doesn't happen

In cull cow sales it's common to have 3 different lads around the ring each getting their turns to buy and when the sale is done all those cows are put down to 1 buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

That's why different marts are better for selling different types of cattle in. If you take it locally here, Carnaross would be best for forward stores and beef cattle, particularly bullocks.. for some reason it has more buyers for these type of cattle and these are what they would get the most of.

Ballyjamesduff would be a better mart to sell lighter store bullock or heifers in.. Also a better selection in if you are looking to buy cattle in.

Delvin would be the better mart to sell (again buy) heifers in or cull dairy cows. Carnaross would be better for cull beef cows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If you are in the sellers box, the auctioneer is less likely to knock the cattle down quickly to his buddies ringside. Maybe the online makes that more difficult for them to do, but I have seen it enough times in the past. I've seen auctioneers knock cattle down to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭DBK1

The online has eliminated the majority of that but it was never as widespread as does be made out either.

The majority of animals sold in the mart end up the same way, the seller thinks the auctioneer is after giving them away to his dealer friends as they were definitely worth a lot more than what he got whereas the buyer thinks the auctioneer was taking phantom bids because he’s after having to pay way above what they were worth to buy them.

I don’t sell in marts but do buy there. I know what I’m willing to pay for an animal and whether the seller is in the box or not makes no difference to what the animal is worth to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 jambon0104

According to him, That's not the case and he is the man in the know, unfortunately we aren't, we are just assuming. And you know the phase to assume is to make a ass out of you and me.

He's adamant by moving away from LSL he has buyers who refused to buy previously. I'd be interested to know how all platforms price, I'd imagine there's little difference in the 3.

Clare Marts post on Facebook;

Facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

how do you cancel lsl subscription. There’s nothing on the app not even a phone no. or email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

contactus@lslauctions.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Took cows to Kanturk today, their first day on Marteye.....the market was on fire..

• Advertisement

I see Ennis Mart is flying it too on Martbids. You can't beat competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Have many other marts moved from LSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

farmers that sell cull cows in singles need their heads examined.its open season on them with the lads around the ring claiming them that they will take this one and you the next.

I worked for yrs in a mart in tipp and one yr I had a lot of empty cows .put them in bunches as they were even enough.got plenty of digs the week after about me acting the bollix.just told them if they wanted them bad enough they just had to bid on them and stop complaining.

It’s amazing how many lads still sell culls as singles if there’s nothing between them weight wise

The reason for single cows is it's the way it was traditionally done and the mart managers don't want to upset their dealer friends you did the right thing I cannot figure out why more lads don't do the same always remember most marts don't give a dam what you're animals make once you sell they get their commission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Looks like the four Aurivo marts in the west have switched from LSL to MartBids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Sorry read it incorrectly

Ya looks that way. Thought Balla was always MartBids

2 of the aurivos were already on Martbids. It's Ballymote and Mohill that moved. That's 11 marts moved in 2/3 weeks.

4 of clare Marts, 2 of Aurivo, and on marteye Facebook page 5 have moved. By the way this trend is going there will be many more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

LSL could go under, which is not good

LSL emergency board meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

How does it compare to lsl? I have yet to sign up but will have to

It does seem more basic, but it works. The 'Sold' catalogue is good as it gives all the details of the lots sold , except for sellers name, video playback. It does work out 'Price per KG' which is handy.

I'm a seller not really a buyer apart from a few pedigree bulls here and there. I wouldn't like that price per kilo as a seller, I'd like it as a buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Ye they were trying to be smart to make more money and in all honesty it looks like its going to loose them money.

Once I can see & bid at the two marts I use that use it there is no way I will pay them to veiw any other mart live & there is no way I am going to pay them to bid at a mart either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

A lot of lads sell cows as singles and one big factor is age with young cows selling better that older cows, and also another factor is if the cow is dry or bag of milk on her.

Be interesting to see do more marts follow or will it settle down now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The next 2 weeks has the potential to break LSL. As I said in an earlier post there is conversations going on with marts and other platforms. The proof is in the pudding now.

Expect more announcements in the coming days. Clare marts was a big move and now aurivo marts all on a different platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Absolutely useless you have to watch the mart live you see animals. This prevents you analysing the marts. As a buyer it's a useless facility.

Hope the rest of the marts stay with LSL. Lads got excited over 10 euro a month. Marts want more people ringside, but it's not going to happen. Even as a seller Martbid and Mart eye are a disaster you have to watch live to see the trade. For most sellers LSL would have only cost 20-40/ month

No age detail on the Martbid catalogue neither can you filter your breed or age. Neither can you tag lots so you can be notified when they are being sold

Slava Ukrainii

The marts that are using martbids and Marteye seem very happy with there services. Maybe martbids and marteye after all are providing a better service then LSL. Don't forget back at the start of covid LSL was the only platform in town, marteye came next and Martbids soon after if I remember correct. So LSL got a headstart with the marts.

Spill the beans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

No beans to spill. Not involved in the mart trade, buy calves from 2 farms and finish everything.

It's a helicopter view that I gave. The 3 climbdowns have been a disaster for LSL. Add the fact in others have said they will not charge. They have lost a shed load of credibility while the others have sat back hoover up business. Charging potential buyers was always going to be a hard sell. No mart will want to turn away potential buyers even if they are hidden away in group that contains nursing homes and teenagers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Not true, marts eye was up and running well before covid and was already streaming, Thurles and Tullow are 2 I used to watch, don't know if there were more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭QA1

I was critical of lsl when they introduced the charges and they back pedal 3 times I think should have scraped charges straight away I am a subscriber and find it the best app as bass said look back see cattle and prices you can read the trade like this week the trade is cool a little lsl weren’t going bad loads of Marts going well in property side pushing the property side hard MartBids must have undercut lsl and as well loads of farmers ringing marts to register them so they won’t have to pay the €5 mart staff must have being getting annoyed hope MartBids make there app better look back and see cattle and prices is the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is the livestock mart a large percentage of the lsl portfolio?

I've never used it, but took a quick look at their site over lunch. Seems livestock is one of nine sectors they operate in.

• Advertisement

On Marteye Facebook it says it was founded in covid times. Also says it on there website so I'd imagine your right and marteye themselves are wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭limo_100

Carrigallen gone now to mart bids another big loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭leoch

Is carrigallen a good mart

Yeah it is they have a great weanlings sales on a sat and they do have special sales from time to time herbies heifers where there last sat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

got a tex message this morning and they have a profile on mart bids now

• Advertisement

It's up on Facebook aswell. That's 7 marts gone to Martbids now and 5 to marteye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There must have been correspondence behind the scenes between LSL and the marts that the marts thought LSL were too cheeky for this abandonment.

The customer is always right and all that.

Some kick in the you know where for those behind LSL. From cock of the walk last month to the bottom and wondering if your business is going to survive this month.

Anyone here either involved or asked any marts that changed from lsl recently why they have changed as lsl have no charges for buyers or sellers in a mart that you trade with so nothing has changed for buyers or sellers only you are now moved to an inferior system are the marts just changing to save themselves a bit of money and don't care about their customers opinion luckily for me all marts I deal with are still lsl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭I says

It’s going to come to a crunch if sellers think they aren’t getting what they think is a fair price for a beast. Plenty of mart managers won’t want to get a bollocking if there was very little online bidding to drive on the price of an animal in the ring.
    My tuppence is LSLAuctions have made a dogs dinner out of it.

Seen an article in the independent yesterday with a quote from milford mart manager on why he changed from LSL to Marteye. Roughly about the no consultation from lsl and pressure from farmers

• Advertisement
Advertisement