Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

1818283848587»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The trouble is, there was already an enormous amount of opposition to the bridge you mention. The Mangala Woods bridge it was to be called, people were going apoplectic at the thought of losing the "one last bit of undisturbed wilderness".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Mahon to Carrigaline is somewhat - a big somewhat - doable using the old Crosshaven line I guess. Lots of missing stretches though. Getting from Hartys Quay or Mahon to the heart of Douglas would be very difficult I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep but even though it's very unlikely I'd still see mass transit as more a realistic Southside project than the outer Southern Orbital road. I'd actually love if someone had a plan for mass transit to Carrigaline, but I don't think anyone is working towards it at all. It's buses only for the foreseeable future.

Well a simple start would be ensuring that the timetabled buses actually run!

Does anyone know what the current night works on the new bridge into Little Island are/were for? It seems like they're ripping up the surface and resurfacing at night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

And to add to the night works, is there any specific provision about them in relation to working times, I had to get through the tunnel last night and made efforts to be there for 8.50 to be pushed through the city for a signposted 9pm closure as the cones etc. were already blocking the road. It was frustrating to say the lease when we then encountered works on the Lower Glanmire Road also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Why can't the tunnel operator just close one bore at a time and provide a two way flow in the other. The infrastructure and signage to facilitate such an operation is in place and it's a common practice in other tunnels.

Routing traffic through the city centre is a very environmentally unfriendly option. It can result traffic congestion, added journey times plus increased air and noise pollution within the city.

I presume, given that it must be the closed tunnel in Western Europe, that there is some truth to the rumours that there are some issues in terms of water ingress etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

I am not sure if the word rumour is relevant but even if you drive, especially from the Mahon side to the Dunkettle side on a dry day, you will usually see small puddles on both sides of the bore at the deepest part of it.

Rumour or not, it is closed a hell of a lot so I assume there is a reason for that....

• Advertisement

Has anyone experience of the tunnel in Limerick (N18) it's the same type of construction. How often is it closed.

On one of the few times I used the route one bore was closed and the other had a contraflow in operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I don’t understand why both bores are almost constantly closed for maintenance works. Why not use a contraflow setup more often which would stop creating traffic chaos after 9 each evening.

If water ingress truly is an issue, what can be done about it? Would they need to dry dock specific areas of the tunnel and do work on the outside of the concrete sections?

As I understand it, the sections are covered in silt/earth/etc rather than being purely exposed concrete. Also, the weight of the water would be enormous

Probably a leaking joint as a result of poor workmanship during construction, now impossible to do a permanent repair on the outside and needs regular patching up on the inside.

Patching a leak from the inside to keep water on the outside out is never a permanent repair, that's why a ship with a hole in the hull needs to be dry docked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

The “dúirt bean liom go ndúirt bean léi” water ingress rumours could easily be settled with an FOI request…

Advertisement