Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford University discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭914

They will sell the crystal site as government development.

You can already hear Cummins stating "as the government have delivered a University for Waterford, we have no unlocked the private development for the crystal site"

No doubt we'll see pictures of them standing outside the crystal site pre election. They might as well stand outside a Frisby housing development.

Not one of them have answered me when I have questioned the viability of the new innovation Centre and how that would effect arclabs/Carriganore.

The crystal site while very welcome, if we see non private development there (SETU development) it will most likely be rearranging the pieces (relocating arclabs, good Shephard's campus etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭azimuth17

David Cullinane should be toast as well for his absolutely disgraceful silence on SETU Waterford and on local issues in general. 20,000 people elected him and now he never opens his mouth about the things that affect them. He abandoned them.

Hopefully he and his party get a kicking to remind him that "all politics are local".

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Yep, can see them now "look at the new parking spaces and the engineering building plot to be finished in 2032. Also look at the new student accommodation (that could've been a big revenue stream for the college but is now a big revenue stream for Frsiby's), we're so good at spending your tax money"

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Yep its nuts, but I guess when one of the most important people in his life is a TD for kilkenny thats who hes looking out for.

I 100% his attitude at 3rd level education in Waterford has been shocking, from dragging the former management through the mud (despite of being found of no wrong doing) and rolling in behind SETU, that said at present he is Waterford's only chance of a full minister.

I am no fan of FG either but Paudie Coffeey had the potential of a full minister and we shot ourselves in the foot there.

When it comes to elections the only vote worth having in Waterford is voting for the possibility of a full minister, it's clear to see the lack of development due to not having someone at the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Losing Paudie Coffey was the beginning of the end in all of this.

And that's coming from someone who cannot stand Fine Gael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭invara

https://www.clare.fm/news/higher-education-minister-opens-new-state-art-coonagh-campus-tus/

Jan O'Sullivan, Minister for Ed's gift to limerick, opened by the new limerick Minister for higher ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

"This project is being delivered under Project Ireland 2040 which recognises that investment in education is central to achieving a strong, future-proofed economy, balanced across the regions."

• Do we laugh at this or cry? I'm going with laugh 🤣

Im going with anybody but Fine Gael. The politics of SETU and third level investment in this region is awful.

https://www.ndfa.ie/projects/higher-education-ppp-bundle-2 the offical PPP website not update since August 2020
    https://www.wlrfm.com/news/tender-received-for-major-development-at-setu-cork-road-campus-354956

… Meanwhile MTU PPP's bundle 1 is topping out https://www.mtu.ie/news/topping-out-ceremony-lrc/
    …… If only we had not been stuck in bundle 2, so far the never never bundle.

Planning expires on 12/09/2024, anyone know how hard it is to get it extended, renewed? Any chance is falls into the An Bord Pleanála quagmire?

• Advertisement

I believe an application to extend could be appealed which at a minimum could delay the project a year. Simon Harris and Fine Gael at their best.

Notable that our new Minister has yet to say anything about higher education beyond turning up for everything in Limerick. He turned up on WLR on his first day, and after Damien Tiernan asked him about his parties promise to develop a full university in Waterford- was never heard from again.

Tumbleweed.

Yep he said he wasn't aware of the history and he would have to look into it and it will take him time to adjust to the role bla bla bla.

All that will be delivered is the new engineering building and possibly student accommodation.

All work that could have been done under the guise of WIT. I don't see how we are any better off.

Several times ministers have stated how students now have University on their parchment which proves it's all about the name and no more.

It shows the lack of understanding, even the former president of the WIT students union at time was saying how it will be great to have University on the parchment as it was (in her view) difficult for people to get jobs in the EU as they didn't know what an IoT was. Yet the number one University in the world is MIT!

You couldn't make it up.

Would you be confident about the new engineering building ?

Yes I would. And unfortunately that will be the legacy of SETU.

Failing to deliver the new Engineering is suicide and they know that. I'll be amazed if it doesn't break ground prior to the next general election.

If it doesn't then you really know the ambition or lack of from a FG perspective!

We all know the lack of ambition but not starting the new engineering building would be a new low even for FG.

If they don't break ground expect to see pictures of Cummins and Harris standing outside and on site of Frisby's private development on the crystal site as it will be sold as, "by us delivering this University it has unlocked the private sector, and we'll follow this with the new engineering building in 2025/26"

I sadly believe that this is exacty what will happen.

Harris did nothing for Waterford as minister in either Health or Further Education. He will go for the triple as Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JimWinters

I’m no fan of FG (or our local reps for FF or SF) but we have to remember we didn’t elect any FG TDs in the last election and the other regional TDs carved up Waterford’s share. Unless we elect a strong person to a government party, we’ll get more of the same for another decade. Butler doesn’t appear to be strong on local issues, same with Cullinane or MoC.

Matt is strong in opposition, the next GE could see the Independent Alliance hold the balance of power and Matt could make a difference there. Mary Roche could too in the SDs. If FG are in the next Government we’re in trouble if Cummins doesn’t get in. Likewise for the FF and SF

At the end of the day, Waterford should be a 5 seat constituency. That would allow us have SF, FG, FF, SD and an independent.

We had two FG TDs. They were elected in 2011 on the promise of a university. What happened? WIT was eviscerated. Harris continued that process in 2020 as Minister for Further Education. He has had five years to deliver a new building, any new buiding and what have we seen? The purchase of a site (3-4m Euro depending on who you believe) behind the old glass factory offices. Carlow IT has had five new buildings in the same period.

In all sincerity, someone tell me, why would it be different if we elect one FG TD? Surely it would be easier anyway to elect said person if the new engineering building was under way? There is more at play here than simply having an FG TD.

Fine Gael? Tumbleweed as Invara said above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JimWinters

I agree 100% that they’ve been fairly useless, Coffey tried at least, Deasy was worse than useless. The point I am trying to make is that we have even less of a chance of getting anything when we don’t have a FG TD. At least if Cummins was there he might argue our case in FG.

At a party level, FG seem to have just written off getting a seat in Waterford. They aren’t even trying to win us over or throw us some scraps. It’s very frustrating, I’d just like to see someone arguing our case…

They will be banking on the West vote this time around. They seem very focused on Dungarvan and the West of the county.

By only running one candidate surely Cummins gets in. That said he will only be a junior minister and have no pull.

Look at our current junior minister Mary Butler, in government, she hasn't delivered a whole lot and appears to be party before people, and John would be much the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Valhalla90

West Waterford requires less delivery of projects services so it’s a better road for FG to take. Rural farmers tend to vote FG also. Even if Cummins gets elected he is an eastern Waterford representative voted in by the western part of the county. Weird!

Yep I agree and that is their approach. Harris is down in Dungarvan today at the agricultural festival. He's probably been in Dungarvan more times than Waterford.

I hate to get into the metaphysics of this.... but to be clear an announcement is imminent.... Not actually a building, with diggers, mud and cement mixers.

Basically said at some point in the future, he will say something more on this matter.

Wake me up with a kango hammer when WITs progress is restarted.

Website last updated June 2021

https://www.ndfa.ie/projects/higher-education-ppp-bundle-2

• Advertisement

I think the next announcement will be that it will be put out to tender, followed by contract awarded followed by construction starting.

How long does rendering normally take? They'll surely want ground broke pre election although they are so arrogant, they would be happy to say "vote us and we'll deliver the engineering building"

In April, WLR reported that a tender from the last remaining consortium in the PPP Bundle 2 process for the SETU Cork Road Campus had been received and was being evaluated by the Department of Further and Higher Education, in collaboration with the Department of Public Expenditure, NDP Delivery and Reform.

There is a clear distinction between public service process and what is being announced on WLR. PPP, airport and cardiac service have all had local political annoucements with zero actual movement in the public service that operate the mechanics of the state. The NDFA website clearly shows not change in the status of the project at this point in time. We are being played.

The planning permission expires next month! You actually couldn’t make it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

The Dome Bar was a major social outlet for students and gone since Covid. The campus on the Cork Road looking a bit gritty.

If you Joined as a 1st year student in WIT in September 2021 (SETU was established in 2022), you are now entering your final year (4th year for honours) and you literally have seen no change, hard to fathom.

I wonder what advantage/benefit/improvements students have seen in that time other than have the word University on their parchment.

Time fast approaching when SETU leadership will have to speak out.

The last few generations of WIT leadership spoke out and were personally and professionally destroyed for it. The new crop know their history and so are unlikely to follow the same failed pathway. SETU management have a responsibility to work with what they have, in the interest of current students. In reality it is stakeholders (students, employers, families, teachers and ordinary SETU staff) who can and need to speak out, and focus their ire on DFERIS and Government.

Two local papers in Waterford have decent coverage on the veterinary school debacle this week. KCLR had good coverage. Hopefully other media in the region will follow suit.

Now we need all the regional representatives to get out to Waterford airport and do the same and stop this delay madness from the government!

This always makes me laugh, all the elected south east members standing side by side outside kildalton pleading their support for the vet application.

Where are the outside the airport? I bet if we planned to build the runway in Wexford, apron in kilkenny and terminal in Carlow they would be all out in support!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Can anyone explain how the initial newspaper reports I've found seemed to announce 3 new vet colleges but this subsequently morphed into a contest between the 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Drove through Carlow for the first time in..... probably 25 years.....my word, the college up there is now streets ahead of WIT in terms of how it looks. They must have invested some money in the place because it was a right dump to look at back in the 90's. It's a much more attractive facility that WIT now. Dunno anything about the courses though but looks great.

Plenty of building projects took place there over the past 10 years while WIT was starved of investment.

The also just logged an application for another 6k square foot building

https://www.carlowlive.ie/news/around-carlow/1591554/carlow-university-applies-for-planning-permission-for-large-extension-to-the-campus.html

• Advertisement

In English football parlance, we was robbed. WIT was university ready in 2004 when Carow IT was a backwater. Now WIT has been reduced to penury. It has not had a new building, a new course or new student accommodation in 20 years.

Fine Gael has deliberately, systematically and intentionally undermined both city and college since 2011 all for their own political ends and now want us to elect those who helped ruin their own city. If, as a Waterford resident or native, you vote for that party, you are an idiot.

What has been done is unequalled in Irish third level history.

Post edited by azimuth17 on

This post covers it all!!!

It was no secret they were trying to shift the balance of power of 3rd level education in the South East with Hogan and Howlin the driving force behind it.

WIT met TU criteria on its own in 2014!

The fact not one teaching building has been delivered in Waterford in over 20 years says it all.

When they converted the Dome bar to offices recently they quote from someone in college in the papers was "we have to use all the space that we have available to us as we are bursting at the seems"

Had government invested in an already successful WIT, they would have had no chance to allow it apply for NUI status or at least allow it become a TU on its own still giving it a chance of becoming a NUI.

What was done to WIT was absolutely awful, the site of the new engineering building sums the whole thing up. Rusted construction fences there since 2008!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

And is why I will never ever vote for any mainstream political party for as long as I live.. They are all liars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

I've questioned this myself. As I pointed out in this thread before to have a Vet College with international accreditation you need access to a tertiary veterinary hospital, there was no way three such hospitals were going to be built. It has been assumed for some time that UL were getting the Vet programme. A vet nursing programme might be the secondary prize for the other two institutions.

The assumption was promoted by UL and based on politics by the look of things.

I had the same thought were I see a one for everybody in the audience, UL getting the full vet school and both TUs getting some level of Vet Course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Be nice to see the Vet School being established at SETU/Kildalton college it would really put the college in a more prestigious position. Obvious location in the heart of the country’s main agricultural area. But the sceptic in me doubts it and the usual cronyism will send it west or south

I'd actually be shocked if they don't give something to both TUs and UL.

Whether the TUs get anything that is substantial is another question but it's hard to not see them get something.

Failure to deliver this prior to an election would spell disaster for them, a leader of FG who railroad in the TU process constantly saying how transformational it will be and not granted something at the first hurdle would be suicide.

I expect UL to get a full vet school, the TUs some watered down version which will be sold as a great triumph would be my guess.

Or all along they were planning on opening 3 vet schools both UL and TUs get it and again it will be sold as political success and this notion of the three fighting it out was all made up to add to the drama and success of it all.

In 2023 the independent reporting that three new vet schools would be opened?

Is it all a circus for no reason?

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/three-new-vet-schools-in-package-to-deliver-1300-more-healthcare-and-veterinary-college-places/a250066263.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I'd say they will defer any decision until after an election. That way they haven't lost votes anywhere and can campaign in each constituency on the basis of fighting for their constituency and putting the case for the veterinary college to be located in their constituency to the government.

Advertisement