Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ticketmaster and dynamic pricing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

They do drop if the demand isn't there - but its only back to the face value and only very close to the gig. Ultimately most gigs that deploy platinum tickets sell out so there's no chance for them to revert. Those Pantera tickets will probably drop back to regular price in late January (assuming they're not sold).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Do these people need protecting from themselves? A bit nanny state ish surely.…

What else are they likely to have lost control off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I didn't buy either and I agree that people have to take a certain amount of personal responsibility but that doesn't mean large companies should be allowed to pressure people in that way - we have plenty of consumer laws which protect people from other unscrupulous selling practices and IMO the type of pressure selling tactics last weekend should not be allowed

Does the refund within 24h also include the TM handling fee?

Come on, we're through the looking glass if we have to protect people from themselves when purchasing tickets. If someone can't trust themselves when spending money when buying a concert ticket, they should give the credit/debit card to someone responsible.

Are we going to outlaw auctions, furniture sales, airline sales because they're all a form of pressure selling…

The last time I refunded my ticket in June, they didn't refund the handling fee. Honestly, whilst I was disappointed about it, I was the one who bought the ticket and I had no legal right to a refund so I took responsibility for it and moved on. It was ~€8 and for what it's worth, I refunded it because I bought a different (better) ticket.

Thing is, we make split second decisions every day based on a number of variables. If someone feels pressirised into making a decision to part with hundreds of euros because some marketing machine tells them they should thin these people have bigger issues.

Marketing and social engineering is all around us - people need to wake up, stop blaming others and take accountability for their own individual actions, which are the only things they can control.

• Advertisement

You could probably make the same argument about a lot of consumer laws. People generally see them as a good thing though because typically they protect the little guys from the big guys

"through the looking glass"? Really? 🤣

It's disingenuous to compare the process here to "auctions, furniture sales, airline sales" because they don't involve the same time sink followed by a very short pressure to buy.

So even though you have the right to a refund, TM are profiting by pressuring people into buying tickets - that's an unfair practice IMO.

It's almost as if you're saying that marketing and pressure selling doesn't work!!

TBH, there's a bang of "I'm too smart to be conned by this sort of thing and anyone who isn't smart enough, deserves it" off the pair of ye.

Anyway, I haven't anything more to say on it so I'm out

There's already a tonne of consumer laws that apply to these types of transactions, however I take your point - you could argue that many consumer/marketing type regulation are aimed at protecting the consumer from big business.

However in this one, in my own opinion, if you ultimately decide to buy a 400 euro ticket for no other reason that feeling presurised, you will have additional problems in life. If you bought it of your own free will - fine.

Didn't say it doesn't work, but that ultimately everyone has their own free will and need to take some level of responsibility for their actions. Blaming others without reflecting on your own actions or lack thereoff has become all to common a trait in Irish life.

As for the "bang of" whatever off me - I don't see any "Con" here - you're options are very clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

The whole fracas really is sick and disgusting the more you contemplate it. For someone buying on their own, they'd get a surprise at the higher price but could quickly decide to take or leave it. But where one person is buying for a gang, and everyone in expectation of what they're going to pay (or whatever funds the main cardholder has) it puts that person into a form of "Sophie's Choice" (first world problems I know) to either buy quickly and suffer the consequences, or let someone drop out, or lose the tickets entirely in the circle of doom. It's straight up Dick Turpin Highwayman behaviour preying on emotion and group dynamic.

F*ck it, these concerts should be cancelled and everyone refunded.

Ehhh an auction does involve time sink and short pressure to buy. If you go into a furniture sale on the last day, you have a short window to buy. It's all pressure. When you go into a car dealership, you'll experience a form of pressure selling.

And again, if you're not mature enough or financially responsible enough to make a decision on a ticket purchase, well then ticket purchasing isn't for you.

Oh the poor customer who can't rationally decide if a ticket is too expensive for them. They need to grow up and take responsibility. Nobody wants to blame themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I will never use Ticketmaster again after this. Completely unacceptable.

I said it on the Oasis thread before the ticket scrum, the reunion announcement reminded me for some reason of Michael Jackson's "This Is It" tour scheduled for the o2 London in 2009.

Jacko was booked initially for 10 dates. Prince had done 21 dates at the venue in 2007 - every ticket whether standing or seated for those Prince shows cost £31.21 (I was there on the Monday night) - it was naively believed Jacko could pull this off. Another 40 dates were added. Jacko inexplicably was in significant financial difficulty at the time.

750,000 tickets sold in 4 hours, priced at £50 for standing and £75 for seating. VIP was £300.

To be fair to TM, they were originally appointed sole ticket vendor, with online, phone and in person sales. However the Jacko team co-appointed AEG Live, who did a deal with Viagogo, and online tickets costing £75 started appearing at £700 and VIP at £3,000. Jacko himself was insured for £100 million in case the tour didn't go ahead.

I know little about Jacko's last days or other controversies but the thought of 50 shows with that level of anticipation can't have been easy and we know how that ended.

That failed tour in 2009 seems to have set the stage for the current rot we've seen this week. I've no sympathy for the Gallaghers but the pressure on them to deliver with these gigs from the industry as a whole is going to be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

MJ should’ve been doing Wembley stadium only. It was madness, but they didn’t care about him. I get that it was an O2 arena deal though, but why put someone through that when you can easily sell 10 Wembley shows for the same amount of people as 50 shows in the arena.

Instead of canceling concerts and demanding refunds, a more reasonable approach might involve seeking greater transparency in pricing and exploring alternative ticketing options that reduce last-minute stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭mcdonut

Last year I wrote to the department of trade and enterprise regarding the practice of selling the same type of tickets for a show at different prices. The sale of tickets act 2021 is supposed to stop ticket touting.

Here's a copy of the response I got (with some personal details edited out).

The law is not fit for purpose. I'd suggest anyone who wants the practice of dynamic pricing or platinum ticket selling to end,write to their local representatives. Government or EU legislation can end these greedy practices with the stroke of a pen

The law does exactly what it is required to. Take a report from NME today:

"Adele’s final show before her long break takes place on November 23 at the The Colosseum in Las Vegas. Tickets for the show were originally priced between US$400 for regular tickets and $1000 for VIP passes. Now, however, Viagogo and last-minute ticketing site Gametime have revealed a surge in prices. According to Viagogo’s pricing, tickets for the November 23 show now cost between $3819 and a whopping $17,050. Gametime tickets are ranged between $2166 and $18,766."

That law ensures that that sort of issue cannot happen in Ireland. People are very quick to forget that we had professional touts in Ireland up until that law came in. The amount of tickets hoovered up by touts was significantly higher than the amount of tickets that were marked as 'platinum' - where thousands of tickets were immediately available at 9.05am on Seatwave, Viagogo, Stubhub, Adverts etc. having sold out immediately on Ticketmaster.

I don't agree with in-demand/platinum pricing because I think the artists are gauging fans and I hate it when I get caught down a queue with that being the only option. The solution is to vote with your wallet and don't buy tickets - look at the upcoming Fugees gig and the rake of unsold VIP and Platinum tickets. They will come back down to face value. The problem is that people won't do that for Oasis and other artists because they have no self-restraint.

Even if all the bítching and moaning is successful about platinum tickets and they're no longer allowed - ticket prices will simply go up to cover the difference. So it will be an entirely pyrrhic victory.

I have no issues with publishing a pricing table for tickets prior to them going on sale so that at least everyone is aware of what the pricing might be when they get to the top of the queue.
    But again, until you get to the top of the queue and the tickets are offered to you, you have no idea what tickets will be available to you……..

Now it does allow you straight away to say to yourself, well the cheapest ticket there is outside my budget so I won't even bother, but would there be many people in that boat?

I don't know how you reduce "last minute stress" for people in a situation where demand is going to far outstrip supply.

This kind of frenzy and loss of capability to make their own decision is very hard to protect again in the online world by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

I bought 2 tickets, did I pay over the odds, yes I did but I wanted to go to the gig having missed out on Coldplay tickets. Do I think the pricing models and this dynamic pricing need to stop, yes. Just sell standing at €100 / Seated at €200 and whatever VIP packages you want at whatever prices after that. As a lot of people have said, dynamic pricing might work for hotels/flights…there are other options for those, other hotels, other airlines etc, but it doesnt work when there isnt another option…agree people need to take personal responsibility. I did, I made a conscious choice to buy them as it will very much be a once in a lifetime experience. People would have paid similar if not more if for example Ireland made it to a semi final or final in the rugby world cup, its a once off…I'd love to see ticketmaster have to show how many tickets were sold at what price bracket, but legally if they sold 1 ticket at 86.50 then their advertising is legal, tickets were available from 86.50 just not many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭Fanirish

The Crux is the primary selling company selling tickets for different prices is not touting as the money goes back to the artist and promoter putting on the show.
    For centuries tickets in venues have been sold for different prices. early bird discounts have existed or tiered pricing based on date has existed for eons.
    Is it unfair that the same meal is cheaper on the early bird than on evening menu?
    the major point with these dynamic or platinum is the purchaser is buying inns of the few remaining tickets. That’s the point of them, paying a higher price for the last ticket to oasis or whoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

But is it really just the last few tickets to Oasis or whoever. How do we know how many tickets were sold over the normal prices.

these special tickets only ever account for between 5 -10% of tickets to 3 arena or stadiums. The teams know that the actual number of people who will pay 2X or 3x standard rate is very very small even for oversubscribed shows like oasis.
    In reality the number of platinum or dynamic actually sold can be a handful and rest released as standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

We don’t. Taylor Swift had platinum and VIP all over the stadium. It wasn’t a handful. The meaning of platinum and even VIP are long gone as the seats for some are bad. It used to be the best seats in the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

My issue with dynamic pricing in these instances is that it’s not really responding to increased demand. The demand was there before they went on sale and they were certain to be sold out, and the consumer had to rely on Ticketmasters random queue algorithm to see what price would generate for them, which they are unable to track or have any awareness of until the moment they get out of the queue and have very little time to decide.

Fairer way to do it, imo, would be:

Announce all ticket types will be variably priced, and publish the range of these prices before they go on sale.

Pricing is determined by waiting room size. The larger the pre-queue the more expensive the tickets will be. The waiting room should show what pricing level is currently applied.

Once the tickets go on sale, the price is locked for anyone who was confirmed to be in the waiting room prior to sale. Anyone who joins after the sale could be subject to increased pricing.

I think the above would spread the cost with smaller increases across the board(instead of huge increases for a small number of tickets), while still keeping the consumer informed and allows the band to maximise their revenue. The only thing that would probably need to be done is an independent review of Ticketmasters waiting room/queue process but that probably needs to be done anyway.

Exactly. And right on que, Ofcom in the UK have announced an inquiry into how dynamic pricing was "used" during the sale of tickets. Expect similar here as none of this is transparent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I was over in London for the Prince 3121 tour too. He's an outlier amongst global superstars since then. His stance on the whole 'slave' thing, his insistence on fair deals for his fans, he was ahead of his time in more than music. God knows what he'd make of the state of the upper end of the music business now.

You can't claim it wasn't a handful as much as you can't claim it was. It's not transparent to say either way. It could have been 1,000, it could have been 100,000 - nobody knows for sure.

VIP seats are pretty much always the best seats - One look at the Fugees VIP tickets will show you that.

Platinum are a different story.

• Advertisement

Taylor and harry styles had split the main pitch areas and had named tickets types for those at a premium above general standard. They are a completely separate concept to platinum or dynamic which are usually just normal seats or standing at 2x or 3x normal price.
    now Taylor had platinum in aviva as well for lower bowl choice seats etc which were higher priced. It wasn’t all over the stadium and in crazy numbers for those platinum seats.

But that’s not true for Taylor’s. VIP was all over and people were giving out about the amount of them. Look back on the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

the Competition and Markets Authority in the UK want to hear from people

https://connect.cma.gov.uk/oasis-tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Grey123

The issue I have is around the randomness of the high prices. Demand outstripped demand from the start.

I wonder would Ticketmaster look at your account history before assigning you a €400 standing ticket vs €87?

If you knew someone had bought a ticket for that price before they would be a better bet than someone who regularly buys cheap tickets

Maybe crossed wires here. I meant that there's no way of knowing how many tickets were 'platinum or in-demand tickets' generally. For Oasis it seems like it was relatively low as the admittedly small sample size on Boards spat out only one or two people who paid for them whereas the rest said they got face value tickets.

The VIP tickets for Taylor Swift were indeed in various places in the stadium as she had so many different tiers of VIP tickets. I'd agree that it seemed that there were loads of Taylor Swift VIP tickets but similarly, we have no idea how many or what % of tickets were VIP tickets.

Very good point. Potential use of targeted selling due to the use of TM account history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Are you daring to doubt fanirish who knows everything there is to know?

In a sense I'm lucky with my advancing years in that anyone I really wanted to see is either deceased or definitely will have retired within five years at the latest. There's only two acts capable of pulling off the particular magic of a massive stadium show and that's ACDC and The Stones. Paying that kind of money for Adele, Coldplay and Taylor Swift is laughable.

Yeah there are definitely only certain acts that can pull off a stadium show. I would say that Coldplay and Taylor Swift did that (but that's my personal opinion), primarily because they used the stadium and its size to its fullest. Agree on the Rolling Stones, their show in Croke Park was killer.

Adele, Ed Sheeran and others just look lost on stage when the venue is too big.

BTW does anyone know the real reason Prince's 2008 Croke Park gig was cancelled? Standing was €90. Seats €125. Prince was sued by MCD and there was a settlement. No real information was ever given. 55,000 tickets were sold.

Prince just decided on whim not to play it.
    He told Denis Desmond of mcd to chill a few weeks before

• Advertisement

So there's currently a ticket for sale for the saturday up in the Davin - 721 - it's 517 odd euro.

There's a standing as well for Sunday at 437.30.

Not sure whether those include fees, probably not.

Now, these obviously no major queues (a small one maybe) today - but do people think that ticketmaster are doing anything wrong with their practices in selling these tickets versus what they were doing last weekend?

Not at all. People would be complaining if they weren't able to sell their tickets through Ticketmaster given that there is nowhere else to legally sell/transfer them at present.

You should be able to transfer/sell them as soon as you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Less of an issue now. I queued just to see, took me 20 seconds and I can see the price, I'm not being put under time pressure and if people paid €x for them, then it's fair they can sell them on at the same price. I'm not super cool about ticketmaster being able to get fees on the resale again though.

Now, as an edit to this. Both of these tickets are now gone - ie someone bought them in the past hour - probably less.

So I ask the question again: do people think that ticketmaster are doing anything wrong with their practices in selling these tickets versus what they were doing last weekend?

Or should people be up in arms about the "tactics" used by ticketmaster to sell high priced tickets to people - bearing in mind the queue was almost non existent today, you would have had some time to make a decision etc, yet two people felt that these tickets were worth buying………..

The thing is, you could see the price you were being offered the tickets at over the weekend as well, once you got to the top of the queue - same as today - just the queue was smaller today, but the prices were similiar (depending on when you got to the top of the queue over the weekend).

I don't have issues with people reselling tickets using ticketmaster however that's not really the point I am making.

If there is anough demand tickets of these prices points are very easily justified from the "sellers" perspective. Morally, different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

See my post immediately above yours. There's no pressure tactics in play now, it's less of an issue.

It's extremely poor form on Oasis's part that they are happy to have gigs where tickets are going for €500+ as an official price, but that's on them.

There wasn't anyone with a gun to anyones head over the weekend either (maybe there was on an individual basis) - if you think a queue of hundreds of thousands long is a "pressure tactic" you're mistaken. Thats the reality of a very popular event for which there is high demand.

The timelines to make a decision were very similiar today (a couple of minutes, granted without the long queue) - and two people made the decision, after all the talk of the past few days etc) to spend hundreds of euro on tickets…….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭ledwithhedwith

again your missing the point about the dynamic pricing vs early bird menus , flights etc. you aren’t waiting in a queue for all that crap and then presented with a new price.

again as repeated here, it’s the same for all high demand events, whether it’s six nations or whatever. When it’s your turn to buy they offer what’s available at the set prices. If you walk up to box office at a Broadway play after queing for ages and they tell you that only expensive seats left for tonight.
    The dynamic price wasn’t actually dynamic it said the same. Now the only issue is that dynamic price wasn’t advertised in advance. Mcd/oasis not publishing price list is a failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭ledwithhedwith

exactly my point , wasn’t advertised in advance. Ie presented with a new price.its the key reason why the uk authorities are looking at it. Can’t be compared to a box office queue where only the dear seats are left when you known the price range.

• Advertisement
Advertisement