Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really safe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭yagan

Plus if you like street fighting dublin is ace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Or pretty much any city in Ireland. Saw a video yesterday of a black kid getting battered by a group of scumbags in Galway, they had hammers etc.

Galway is lovely though generally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If that's what you like, if that's what you want, if that's your focus in Dublin along with the other things you're talking about… yes. Fighting is available in Dublin, but it's not exclusive to the capital.

However, as explained before, most people here in Dublin are here to enjoy the city and what is has to offer.

As I said, you don't like it. We do. Get over it, build a bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭thereiver

Darndale is known to be a rough area. It does not represent the whole of Dublin

One example I read about. people being mugged in LA. in order to rob expensive watchs

Yesterday an NFL player was mugged by a 17 year old with a gun she shot the mugger and the mugger shot him in the chest both men are in hospital now in Los Angeles .even large strong Nlf players are getting mugged in America

Most people go in the city to the shops and maybe to a concert and nothing bad happens to them of you live in certain areas you know the signs to look out for and how to be streetwise

Merchants quay is where the homeless centre is

I listen to newstalk they talk about people living in tents and the smell of weed

I think in the age of the web social media anything good or bad will be highlighted on forums or facebook

In the 90s we had only rte news radio tv and paper newspapers to consume news

Post edited by thereiver on

From my experience of living city centre in the 90s there was certainly crime, but it wasn't primarily drug driven like it is now.

Plus there was a lot less visible homelessness as there was a lot more dereliction in which to squat. All around mountjoy square was full of squats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

There's another video to go with that. The black lad was also a scumbag. He plus one other attacked a lone lad. He got beat as punishment. Basically everyone involved was a scumbag. If we had a proper criminal justice system all of them would be locked up. But of course, it doesn't represent Galway which is a lovely place.

In the 90s Dublin was not as crowded as it is now you could rent a bedsit very cheaply rents were low no one lived in tents on the street .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

I used to live in ireland for my job from 2017 to 2023. Dublin is a terrible, horrible place to live.

No affordable appartments so you have to live with flatmates. Thank god most of them weren't ethnic Irish, most of mine were from eastern europe so it was at least ever so slightly tolerable but still not great. Landlords were usually horrible Irish scammers with rotten teeth who'd rob you blind.

The city is so full of crime, they attempted to rob me a few times. The robbers were invariable ethnic Irish scum, never a foreigner. One time the guy just wouldn't go away, so I punched him in the face and a fight ensued. Managed to get out without being robbed but had a black eye for a week after due to the Irish scumbag with rotten teeth who was just a junkie after his next fix.

Public transportation is horrible, the Irish are not smart enough to build a metro. They are also too lazy to walk the buses stop at every corner. Sometimes you can see the next bus stop from the one you're getting off at. If you have fewer bus stops maybe the public transport wouldn't be as terrible, and maybe call the Brits to build you a metro because you don't know how to do it.

Food is terrible, greasy chips, most of it is just British food and artificial American food, you have to cook at home to eat anything edible.

Roads are in bits too full of potholes.

While we also suffer from Anglicization in the Netherlands every ethnic Dutch person can at least speak fluent Dutch, unlike the unintelligent Irish who can hardly say anything in the Irish language other than ' can I go to the toilet please?' , the only phrase they learnt at school.

Now I am back in the Netherlands for over a year, I can easily afford a large apartment here and because we actually have functioning fast trains and other public transportation from my village I can still be in Amsterdam city centre in about 40 minutes. And I live about the same distance from the city centre as say Maynooth to Dublin city centre. There's no crime here apart from some occasional petty theft. In Amsterdam sure you have a bit of crime but it's only foreigners who steal, ethnic Dutch hardly ever steal. Accidents with drunk Irish who fall into the canals happen but we wouldn't even fish them out of the canal if we saw them drowning.

Wish you all the best over there in Ireland but just know that especially Dublin really sucks and there's better places, no wonder all your ethnic Irish youth is moving to Australia.

In the 90s there were hardly any jobs in Dublin, that started during Celtic Tiger, then they disappeared again for a while and slowly but steadily came back. Basically until about the early 90s Ireland was a 3rd world poor country hence housing was cheap and there were hardly any foreigners there.

I used to live 10 mins walk from there top of blessington street and fights always happen there around dominick. Also a prime location for drug deals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Haven't seen a proper pothole in Ireland for years. They used to be everywhere 20 years a go. I've seen far worse in the UK in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You're that bloke who used to spend all day moaning about Dublin on reddit.

Just because your life was awful here doesn't mean you speak for the rest of us.

They weren't looking for a job with the minister of delusion, Helen mcentee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭con747

So the thread you started got closed down because of the trolling OP and you re-post it here 😂 I'll say what I said on the other thread.

(1) Please don't come back.

(2) You should close your account because no point being on a site full of Irish people you can't stand and the country being such a kip by sending an email here hello@boards.ie or datarequests@boards.ie

Bye.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I don't know, I thought it was amusing and with an element of truth, albeit exaggerated for comedic effect.

I wouldn't discount it as I have a nephew who grew up in dublin but has a quality of life now in the Netherlands that he could never afford in dublin now.

Having said the same lad couldn't tell you if Galway was north, west or south. His Ireland didn't really extend beyond the m50 and the airport.

Home to see the folks is only a short flight away.

• Advertisement

The moderator told me to continue the discussion here, so I did.

I would rather be nuked by Putin than ever come back to horrible Ireland to live. For a road trip or something it's okay but definitely not Dublin.

You can follow your advice to close your account.

Also maybe you should go and learn your own language (Irish or gaeilge) because you're probably one of those not very smart irish who only know how to say 'can I go to the toilet' in the Irish language.

I've visited various places in Ireland including Galway (multiple times), Aran Islands (the last place where people can still speak your language actually, been there multiple times), Belfast (multiple times), Kilkenny (multiple times), and day trips to Cork, Waterford, Cliffs of Moher, also did a road trip in Connemara.

Ireland is suitable for a short get-away vacation destination but it's not a good place to live, very low quality of life there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Why would you bother posting on an Irish website?

Ireland is now a rich country , now we are the eu base for tech companys.We were not a third world country, house prices were low ,any working person could buy a house .People had large familys , and got married young.We had dial up internet , Now we have young people living at home or sharing a house paying high rents.

No one in the 90s was saying wheres my smartphone or my 1gig internet connection.If you had a vhs vcr and a 32 inch tv with sky tv you were on the leading edge of technology.You could buy a ticket to any concert for 50 euro.life was simpler than life in 2024. we were not a very rich country but we were certainly not considered third world status

dublin was not full of modern office buildings and large apartment blocks.Anyone from london berlin and rome can go onto a forum and say i got mugged my phone got stolen this city is awful.

Ireland is a rich country that uses dublin city centre as a dumping ground.

Why bother replying to my comments if you don't like them?

Used to live there for work and compared to continental western europe it's absolutely terrible in terms of quality of life.

I don't know any Dutch person who was mugged by an ethnic Dutch person here in the Netherlands. If anything it'd be a foreigner but crime is still way rarer than in Dublin or even in secondary Irish cities. And we have way way way more people than in Ireland.

• Advertisement

There are many rich oligarchs in Ireland, but the general population has a terrible quality of life.

Advertisement