Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French man accused of drugging his wife and inviting men to rape her

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,274 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Officer, I'd like to make a report

Yes, about what?

I conspired with a man I met online in a perverts chatroom to rape his wife

Ok. And did you rape his wife

No

And tell me more about this perverts website you are a member of.

Oh, it's just a hobby of mine where I go on and talk about all the perverted, dodgy, and possibly illegal stuff I have already done in the past or what I would like to do in the future. Sometimes I just encourage other like minded folk to act on their fantasies.

Ok. Thanks. Can you please fill out this form with your details so that I can add you to our perverts watchlist. I hope your wife and kids won't be too upset when we break down your front door in 15 minutes to seize your computer related to some other online perverts investigations we have going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

”The Daughter” too.

Jezus this guy is fcked up

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13807687/amp/Daughter-man-let-50-men-rape-unconscious-wife-breaks-flees-court-trial-hears-photographed-drugged-file-computer-named-Daughter-Naked.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yes those are separate investigations. It seems the site was used to bait gay men in particular and then attack them when they turned up for their rendez-vous.

There may have been other stuff too, I don't know. But the "thousands" mentioned there are separate to this case.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Are you sure that in those circumstances that they committed no crime?

They might have assumed they had consent because they thought it was roleplay, but they didn't actually have consent.

Just quickly googled and it says that French law defines rape as 'sexual penetration, committed against another person by violence, constraint, threat or surprise.'

Regardless of their intentions or beliefs was that not committed against that woman by those men?

I've been following it in the French press for a while now. I was actually waiting to see if someone else would pick up on it, as I don't generally start threads in CA, but nobody did.

The fact that they were all recruited locally came from an article a good while back, before the trial opened, and as I recall was said by a police spokesman (the names were being withheld at the time, and it was presented as that being the choice of the victim.)

Being in Paris isn't the point: he recruited men locally in the Paris area, then when they retired and moved to the south, he did the same thing there. They didn't generally drive hundreds of km to rape her. Many are men with family obligations, as the tweet I posted above shows.

I also saw someone on French Twitter yesterday saying they are from the area and looked up the names, and they recognised several of the names: one is the father of a friend of theirs!

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

As I have said at least twice now, I'm talking about the men who did not rape her.

Pelicot, the husband, said that about 3 men in every 10 who contacted him withdrew when they learned that she was really unconscious. He also said that none of those who did come to the house left at that stage. They all went through with it.

So 30% (but men whose names we don't know, not any of the 51 in court) knew of a crime being planned, decided not to participate in it, and went their merry way. None of them called the police. None of those men committed a crime except the crime of non denunciation of a crime. But if they'd gone to the police, they'd have been in the clear.

I'd honestly say Id find it surprising if there were lots of men living normal lives who are eager to rape an unconscious woman as long as the husband is OK with it

Completely agree. I find it unbelievable. And yet there were at least 70 such. Well, of the 50 who are in court, I think five already have a criminal conviction for either DV or sexual abuse, so maybe not quite 70.

The other 45 out of 50 do appear to be "lots of men living normal lives" though. Most had partners and a range of jobs.

And then there are the 20+ who were filmed but who couldn't be identified. I think we can assume that most of those are also unknown to the police, as, well, the police couldn't work out who they were, despite their best efforts.

The 50 names have been released by the court (I won't bother posting them unless someone asks) - someone who lives locally posted that she recognised several of the names and actually knew one or two personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

In the clear from the police but if they had wives or partners not so much. That might have been a trait he selected in them, everyone keeps quiet through the threat of mutually assured destruction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭geographica

Beyond vile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

You seem to be implying that he put an advert in the local paper and otherwise normal men accepted the invite to participate. The truth doesn't seem to serve your agenda as, according to the Irish Times:

'He met most of the men, the investigating judge’s report stated, in a chat room on a notorious, unmoderated French website implicated in more than 23,000 police cases in France from 2021 to 2024. It was finally shut down, and its owner arrested, in June after an 18-month investigation stretching across Europe.'

This reporting also suggests this site is in use nationally across France and so goes against this idea those charged are all locals.

There doesn't seem to be any suggestion of threats. In fact all the men in court admitted that he didn't try to force them at all.

Here are a couple of the men in court, as reported by a journalist who is covering it live for RMC (a French radio station):

"There's a lot of detail given that I haven't written down; the descriptionof the videos is unbearable the victim is like "an inert body" I won't mention all the accused, now we've come to a 59 year-old tradesman installing refrigeration and cooling systems, a single father"

"This is particularly tough listening, the discussion between this accused man and Dominique P are chilling. Dominique says that his wife feels unwell and that he is thinking of calling the emergency doctor … before finally cancelling that call and telling his accomplice to come as they had agreed."

"Another one of the accused is a 43 year old ex-army man, a married father who is a neighbour of the couple".

Nope we've been over all that. Instead of telling me what I "seem to be implying", just read what I actually said, and if any of it is wrong, feel free to point that out.

You've misunderstood the other stuff about the investigation BTW. Read what MagicBastarder has said about it.

Or just read the IT properly. There were 23,000 cases - those were entirely separate from this court case. in fact they seem to have mostly been about the site being used to bait gay men (not that the IT says that TBF.) But clearly there cannot have been 23,000 crimes committed against one woman.

@kaymin

I think the point is that they would have appeared to be normal men to those who knew them, perhaps some lovers or former lovers might have got a glimpse of their sick fantasies but aside from that, people would probably have been shocked to know what they did because they appeared 'normal'.

Why would the site being used nationally go against the idea that they're locals?

• Advertisement

You said he put up an advert. That's not what the reports say. You also misinterpreted the posters reference to a threat - he was referring to the threat of criminality rather than a threat from the husband. In fact there's so much that you seem to be misinterpreting.

An advert in the local newspaper? Did I? Where?

He put up a post, if you prefer, on a site called coco. I've never said different. The point I was replying to was the explicit claim that he contacted the men according to how suitable he thought they were. He didn't. He put up the information that this was his plan, and men contacted him.

That doesn't necessarily mean an ad in a local newspaper, and I never said it did.

I'm quoting your posts😏

He put up an ad advertising his plan. 

Whatever. I've explained the context, and if you can't/won't understand that, too bad.

I

The same reason I doubt anyone I engage with on this site are from my locality. Maybe that site has a regional forum that allowed him to filter users by where they live - seems unlikely given it's nature

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The ones that didn't choose to rape her probably wanted to rape a younger woman.

The OP is remarkably confused about details for someone following the case or is purposefully misrepresenting nearly everything.

Boards is different though. It's just a discussion forum.

I assume that that site was often used for making 'arrangements' so most likely it was split into regions or else they would make their region clear in their posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I googled "Pelicot rape recruited locally" I found 4 pages of results, none of them match this claim. Best I got was another article, citing the times, which mentioned 1 of the perps was a local journalist.

If you find it that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Thread should be renamed to:

SEXUAL DEVIANTS SHOW NO REGARD FOR WOMAN'S HONOUR SHOCKER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Woodcutting

An ex girlfriend of mine told me the guy she dated after we split went to his GP, pretending insomnia, got sleeping pills and drugged her drink in her home. Apparently he wanted to have sex while she was asleep or unconscious. I can't remember what happened, I don't think he succeeded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Woodcutting

If the 30% reported it they would be admitting to being in a dodgy chat room. As for reporting anonymously, I wouldn't bet on that possibility. Email and phones can be traced, even a letter is no guarantee of being anonymous. Not even here. Stamps purchase can be traced and tied to cctv

Has he pleaded guilty for these charges against his wife? I presumed he had because he seems to have given the police a lot of information but then I was wondering why he's on trial if he's pleaded guilty?

He pleaded guilty to an attempted rape in 2019 but denies a 1991 murder and rape so is that all part of it? It's very confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

"Not all men" is a defence used by men against broad accusations of bad things levelled against "men" writ large by radical feminists.

This case can be described as: sick freak goes into dark web chat room for sick freaks, finds 70 fellow sick freaks to do sick freak things.

As for the country where this occurred, France, that country has a population of 68,373,433. So roughly 1 in every million French citizens (or one in every 500,000 men, roughly) participated in this, and the others had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it. So as to what this - horrifying thought it is - is supposed to be representative of, if anything, remains unclear.

Did I miss anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im surprised this story is not making more headlines around globe. Truly sick story.

Poor woman and her family. As for husband. Where do ya start with the evil bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

The original post should be edited. This idea of it being representative of all men stemmed from the assumption that all men involved were recruited locally from a small enough town. Apparently the OP heard this from earlier media reports but we've yet to see a link to the same (unless I've missed that).

I suspect it was as simple as a translation error or something. Perhaps

"Fifty other men are also on trial in the southern city of Avignon alongside the main suspect"

was originally written as

"Fifty other men in the southern city of Avignon are also on trial alongside the main suspect".

That's 1 in 500,000 in just one case though.

The website has been shut down as "authorities said it has allowed offenders to coordinate child sexual abuse, rapes, homicides and other serious crimes".

How many more similar cases might there have been from that one website alone?

No it's not 'all men' but don't try to minimize and make out these monsters are as rare as 1 in 500,000 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭slay55

he wasn’t “normal” he was a convicted rapist in the 1990s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Shocking … some people are very very warped.

I hope they have a good time in prison!

(im actually surprised the thread is still open too)..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Sickening and disgusting. I hope these men spend a long time in prison. Is this being passed off as one sicko inviting freaks from the 'dark web'? As if it's only basement dwelling losers who participated? It may have been a dodgy website but those who signed up to it were fathers, husbands, boyfriends, workers, ordinary men. Yes, there probably was some previously convinced scumbags also but that doesn't change the fact that this case is frightening. How could so many men not report this or see anything wrong?

I'm sick of some men getting offended on behalf of rapists. It's not all men, we all know that but it's nearly always men. It's time we all face up to that and see it as a problem. You can't solve a problem until you admit it exists. These rapists weren't born on the 'dark web', they didn't grow up there, they didn't go to school there. We admitted drink driving was a problem and what did we do? We made the law stricter and we educated people and it has got better. I'm not comparing that with rape but when you have a serious problem like we see with SOME men, we have to increase the punishment and increase the education around it.

Your point about drink driving is spot on: why don't drivers insist that any campaign against drink drivers always always always be prefaced with "not all drivers"?

They don't because everybody knows that if you don't drink and drive you're not the one targeted by these campaigns. And that's equally true in places where spot breathalysing checks are done at random, without there being any infraction of the highway code.

Yet when women want to talk about any sort of male violence against women, there's always this massive defensiveness from a surprising number of men, who seem to project any criticism of violent men onto them.

It's going on here too, but not just here. It's constant.

Anyway.

The journalist I linked to earlier is live tweeting the victim's testimony at the moment and I'm trying to follow that, so can't really post on here at the same time. It's heartbreaking. She had no idea whatsoever. She thought she was married to a kind, loving man. Well, she was. In appearances.

I'll post a link in case anyone is intersted (you can get translations on twitter if needed)

Above is a link to the twitter feed, and below a screen grab from near the start of her testimony.

Sorry it's inFrench. I don't have time to translate it all but I'll do a summary later.

(They don't seem to have that "thread unroll" thing on French twitter and I don't know how to do that myself)

Perhaps it would be better to have a campaign directed at bad women drivers? Agree? Telling them how to park and use indicators and proper lane discipline on roads and to stop them being the cause of fatal crashes. It can emphasis the importance of lessons and training.

It should be fine - right? It won't be aimed at any good women drivers - just the bad ones so the good ones can't complain

I have a slogan - "Women! Learn how to drive!"

If 90% of crashes were caused by women drivers you'd have a really good point there.

As it is, you're illustrating exactly what I'm talking about.

Because women drivers cause fewer deaths and injuries than men. Yet here you are thinking that's a gotcha - for you. 🙄

• Advertisement

Irrelevant. You answer belies your actual reaction.

I think we should have a campaign pushing education and training for bad women drivers - don't you agree? Do you not think that education and training is important?

Only if you want to target the safest drivers instead of the ones who kill more people. Which would be a waste of public money. But do go ahead with your campaign. I have zero objection, other than the waste of public funds.

Lol.

"Stop harassing us. Women drivers as a group aren't responsible for all the damage so you can't tar us with all the same brush. We're the safest so leave us alone. It's only a minority of us who cause accidents"

"BTW, all men are responsible for the behaviour of pervert rapists though"

You didn't take too long to change your tune when your faulty logic was applied to something you didn't like

Here's some more of her testimony, describing how her world collapsed around her, she left her home with nothing, to live with her children, "like a child leaving home for the first time, with just a couple of suitcases for all her possessions.

In the second one, she talks about past episodes where she began to fear that she had Alzheimers, she was finding bleach on her clothes and other stuff she had no memory of. She asked her husband "jokingly" "You wouldn't be drugging me or something?" and he began to cry, because it was such a horrible thing to accuse him of.

She no longer dared to drive and even taking the train when she went to see her grandchildren she was always afraid of missing the stop (in Paris, which is a major stop - the train goes on north to Lille)

If it was just women who were responsible for 99% of car crashes etc, you may have somewhat of a point but it's actually men who cause more crashes, fatal and otherwise.

But just say it was women, on the roads they were responsible for 99% of deaths. First of all women would have been banned from driving a long time ago but if not, of course a campaign to lesson that would be wanted and needed. Why wouldn't it? So isn't it the same with rape and sexual assaults. The perpetrators are nearly always men. Shouldn't we have a campaign to stop it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

There are posts actually NOT outright condemning this ? FFS.

There are salient facts here:

The husband is a vile low excuse for a man and will die in jail. As hopefully will every single rapist.

Gisele Pelicot is one of the bravest women I have seen in quite some time - she courageously removed her anonymity so those who did this can be named, bless her and may she know some moments of peace - like her daughter.

It is far from "all" men who do this, or would even think of it - but please do not excuse these monsters by saying "well he went to a website where men interesting in raping women without their knowledge visited, it's not ordinary men". It IS ordinary men, that is the point! The fact they have sought out similar in a location they were known to meet is irrelevant - we're not talking a handful here, there is talk of 70 plus rapists.

I read a post earlier saying something akin to "bring back kinkshaming" - 100% agreed; stop giving every paraphilia an excuse and a label. This is not a "kink" - it is the vilest form of rape and should be shouted from the roof tops how vile it is.

Look at the recent spate of gang rapes in holiday resorts - three lads assault a drunk passed out girl, they send a message saying "come get free sex" (vile) - they have five mates there in minutes.

It is far from ALL men but it is men and we need to address this in the wider consideration of combatting VAWG. If that is education then yes bring it on.

What do you think there are more of - women drivers who could benefit from additional training or driving lessons, or perverted men wannabe rapists?

I'll remind you that it was you who brought you the driver "analogy". Thought it was some kind of great point until it was used in a context you don't like.

"What are you men bastards going to say about your responsibility arising from a case involving perverts in France. You shouldn't complain and you shouldn't say 'not all men' "

"What are you women going to say about the bad women drivers who need more lessons. You shouldn't complain and you shouldn't say 'not all women' "

Here she says that she only learned in May 2023 that in 2010 he had got a fine for filming under women's skirts. She had no idea. She says if she'd been informed of that antecedent at the time, she might have thought to question whether he was involved. She says "I could have gained ten years of my life if only I'd known that."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I read a post earlier saying something akin to "bring back kinkshaming" - 100% agreed; stop giving every paraphilia an excuse and a label. This is not a "kink" - it is the vilest form of rape and should be shouted from the roof tops how vile it is.

does this actually happen, every paraphilia gets an excuse? if so, i've not seen it - i've not seen non-consensual sexual acts being excused by anyone except criminals.

Do you have anything to say about Gisele P's testimony or are you going to keep on with this fallacy that women drivers are the ones who need "educating". It's a bit off topic but FYI the data says the opposite:

Behind the Wheel, Women Are Safer Drivers Than Men

Compared with women, male drivers of cars and vans were involved in twice as many fatal accidents.

So can we now get back to the actual subject here?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement