Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Naming conventions for train stations and lines

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Small complaint but I get the train a lot and it always annoys me that the four main Dublin stations are referred to as their names. For example, the announcements on the train say "Heuston to Cork", and the plaques at the stations just say "Heuston" or "Connolly", while Kent says "Cork Kent". Same with the signs at intermediary stations saying "towards Heuston" and "towards Cork". It's such a minor thing, but I never understand why Dublin is afforded the luxury of it while the other cities and named train stations aren't. One rule for the capital, another rule for us, I guess..

The only argument I think they can make is that Dublin is the only city with multiple train stations in the city boundary. The other cities just have a station each in their respectie city centres. I really hope when the new city stations are added at Blarney, Blackpool, Tivoli and Dunkettle that they drop the Cork before Kent - given all four of those stations are already in Cork. Again, minor thing but.. annoying.

Post edited by spacetweek on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

All train and tram stations are best named to reflect their location.

Cork Central is something which would be better and likewise Heuston, Connolly and Pearse would be better off having more appropriate names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

You've answered your own question, there. Dublin is only "special" in that it has three mainline stations, so you need a way to distinguish them, so that's why you hear "Heuston", "Connolly", "Pearse".

If another city had a second mainline station, then the same thing would happen.

I think it's actually a good idea not to use the honorary names at all: mistaking "Ceannt" and "Kent" is something that's easy to do, and very, very annoying to undo once you're on the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

Its a potentially a bit confusing when you are told that the Train's destination is "Heuston".Why not "Dublin Heuston", a minor addition to the needless stuff in the automated announcements.

Some American visitors might wonder if they are in Texas 😎

I guess my issue is more that for Dublin it’s just Heuston and not Dublin Heuston in the stations. Meanwhile for Cork, it’s generally just Cork or Cork Kent. There seems to be an assumption everyone knows Heuston means Dublin and no one knows Kent means Cork. For example, when I got the train to Dublin on Thursday, it said “this is the X hours train to Heuston from Cork stopping at Mallow, Thurles, Portlaoise and Heuston”

I agree with Zebra, Cork Central makes more sense. In that instance, Heuston could be Dublin West, Connolly could be Dublin Central and Pearse could be Dublin East. When Blarney and Blackpool are added, will it say “Heuston to Cork stopping at Mallow, Blarney, Blackpool and Cork”? I understand not having it just as Kent, but then it should be “Dublin Heuston to XYZ and Cork Kent”. I don’t know. Again, minor things. But it just gives me this vibe that Dublin is recognised as a real city and a big capital city, while Cork is this tiny town no more important than Banteer or Templemore

Obviously there are much more important things for Irish Rail to be focusing on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Renaming stations away from those involved in the 1916 rising is not going to happen. You would be opening a HUGE can of worms with that.

That being said, "Dublin" should precede Heuston and Connolly in announcements and on signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭OisinCooke

I would have to say that I disagree strongly here. Not only for the 1916 patriots after which the stations are now named, but naming a station ‘central’ ‘east’ or ‘west’ just feels very boring and is something done in essentially no cities in Europe. It makes far more sense having the stations named after a street or part of the city, or in this case, after a person, is done very commonly in mainland Europe.

However I do agree that all intercity trains should announce their Dublin terminus station as ‘Dublin Heuston’ ‘Dublin Connolly’ or ‘Dublin Pearse’ in common with the rest of the cities around the country and also just to make it easier for tourists getting around.

Finally though I don’t think you’ll ever have to worry about announcement discrepancy between the different Cork city stations as the trains from Dublin will only ever stop at Mallow and Kent!

Just to add I agree with keeping the 1916 names (although I don’t get why Galway and Cork both have Kent but in different languages - unless it is two different people?). However, my issue is the lack of use of Dublin before its three stations, which it seems everyone agrees with. It’s the same how TII told me they don’t want to use City Centre at Dunkettle as it will be confusing, but everywhere on and near the M50 and a lot of the M1 say City Centre instead of Dublin (generally much further from the city centre than Cork’s city centre, and with multiple destinations in between, while the N8 only goes to the city centre). It’s kind of the same how the government uses North East Inner City or South West Inner City. Sometimes it’s as if Dublin is this huge metropolis of international significance, and Cork is this little town off the beaten track…

But anyway, I’m going off topic now. Glad to know we all agree

Galway station is named after Éamonn Ceannt.

Cork station is named after Thomas Kent.

^ Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭specialbyte

but naming a station ‘central’ ‘east’ or ‘west’ just feels very boring and is something done in essentially no cities in Europe.

Brussel-Zuid (Brussels South), Amsterdam Zuid (Amsterdam South), Amsterdam Centraal (Amsterdam Central), Paris Gare du Nord (north station), Gare de l'Est (Station of the East) would all tend to disagree with you there.

Ok yes… point taken, but I still feel that it has less character than naming a station after a street or person, of which there are far more examples in Europe and the wider world

It was a trivial off-topic comment anyway, and plus changing the names of those specific stations is not something that will ever happen. I do still believe that ‘Dublin’ should prefix all the main termini on the announcements

Nobody wants character, they want accuracy.

Howth Junction has great character and history. Donaghmede is far more accurate and useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭scrabtom

I want character. I wish the Dart lines had names too.

DART lines? There’s only one…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

Just on the point about boring names, the main train station in most cities in the German speaking world is the Hauptbahnhof. This translates as Main Railway Station.

Yes.. Munich's three mainline railway stations are "Haupt-", "Ost-" and "Süd-": Main, East and South (the latter is freight only). I don't think anywhere as the whole set of compass points.

This isn't very exciting, but it's actually useful when planning a journey, as the "Main" station will be the one closest to the city centre. No need to get a map, but you do need a little bit of the language (e.g. Prague's main station is clearly named Praha Hlavní Nadrazi "Prague Main Station")

Naming after streets is less useful to visitors, but at least it provides a geographical clue..

We, of course, take the worst option and name after people. (Although Connoly and Pearse are indeed as central to the 1916 Rising as their namesake stations are Dublin city, that is not an efficient way of conveying the information..)

@scrabtom I have the opposite opinion. I really dislike named lines.. they make signage more difficult to design, and make it less clear, and also the names cannot really be used to indicate a hierarchy of service levels (e.g., unlike numbered lines where high-numbered services have lower frequencies).

I have a greater dislike of systems where lines are named "Green", "Silver", "Blue" and so on (yes, I don't like how the Luas lines are named) ... there's only a small number of colours that people agree on (and lets not forget that around 5% of the male population is clinically colour blind), so the name-space is limited from the start. Plus, what additional useful meaning can you convey with colours? Is "Yellow" a higher level of service than "Green"? This is even worse than naming lines after people.

Anyway, this may be a moot point. From the new fleet mockup photos, it seems that DART services will be numbered "D1", "D2", etc.

Off topic to this thread but D1 and D2 could be confusing given the Eircodes of the same name. Cork probably does it better with “Midleton Line” or “Cobh Line”. It’s named, but not a random name (like Elizabeth Line, or Red Line), instead the end destination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭scrabtom

Are they not called Dart North, Dart South, Dart East and Dart South East?

I know rationally probably it makes more sense to have them named like that but I do just find it a little dull. I love going to London and getting on all the tube lines with random names.

Again a very good point, I put my hands in the air and take back what I said about the European stations names, I’m not really sure where I got that from and it was very wrong…! Sorry!

I suppose though that this whole conversation is slightly trivial as whether you see it as a good or a bad thing, they aren’t going to rename the stations away from their current 1916 signatory names.

Very interesting point about numbered DART lines though, I wasn’t aware that that was a thing…

• Advertisement

Here are the mockups of the trains showing “D1” and “D2”. This could just be someone at Alstom putting plausible-looking text on the display, or it could be based on a plan IÉ have for line numbers.

“North”, “South” as names wouldn’t work, because those are lines, not services: right now, services already run from Malahide (“North” line) to Bray (on the “South” line). By “service” I mean something that would be drawn as a continuous line on a map: basically what the general public would refer to as a “line”.

I can see at least four distinct services on DART+, or more if you decide to count branches and alternate terminal stations as separate services (as German cities do). But at minimum, the network will have these four, just as a result of replicating Commuter services and using the Phoenix Park Tunnel:

1. M3 Parkway/Maynooth - Connolly/Docklands (this could be two services, or one with two branches either end)
    2. Drogheda - Bray, Drogheda - Docklands
    3. Hazelhatch - Heuston, Hazelhatch-Heuston West-Docklands
    4. Howth - Bray, Howth - Donaghmede (shuttle)

Looking at the links that have been electrified, there’s also potential for four new services to be provided (always remembering that there’s a big difference between “can”, “should” and “will”):

5. Bray - Heuston West - Hazelhatch
    6. Bray - Heuston West - M3/Maynooth
    7. Drogheda - Connolly - Hazelhatch (calling at Connolly)
    8. Drogheda - Connolly - Maynooth/M3 (calling at Connolly)

The lack of a Northern-to-Western curve north of Connolly prevents a direct Drogheda - Hazelhatch or Drogheda - Maynooth, but it could be achieved by calling at Connolly from one set of tracks, and leaving via another.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The way naming of lines is done in other countries is that light rail and metro is usually colour coded, and systems like the DART are given letters (like in NYC).

So Drogheda-Bray could be A, Drogheda-Docklands B etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

Are the NTA gone a bit mad? What's wrong with just numbers for bus routes? Are all the prefixes such as S, N, L, etc of any real use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Just take Dart North Southbound, when you want to get into town from Malahide and Dart South Northbound to get from Greystones into town but just remember that Dart North Southbound becomes Dart South Southbound on the Loop Line and Dart South Northbound becomes Dart North Northbound on the Loop Line. Couldn't be simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭specialbyte

They have not gone mad. The prefixes are super helpful.

A-H are the high frequency spines into and across the city centre. Almost all have a frequency of less than 10 minutes on the core sections. Some have frequency of every 3 minutes at peak. It's like the Luas you just turn up and hop on a bus without checking the timetable.

N, W, S are the northern, western and southern orbitals around the city. Think Dun Laoghaire to Tallaght or Tallaght to Lucan.

X are the express buses.

L are the local buses. They are generally short routes that connect you to your local town like Dun Laoghaire, Dundrum, Tallaght or Swords. They do not go to the city centre.

Buses with just a number like 26, 60 go into the city centre (generally) on routes not covered by the high frequency spines. They tend to have lower frequency than the lettered spines

So yes, knowing just some really simple information many people can just look at a bus route and roughly know how often will the bus come and where it is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Nitpick: Gare du Nord and Gare de l'Est are not so called because they are in the north and east of Paris respectively — in fact, they're pretty much right beside one another, in the 10th arrondissement — but because they are the stations from which you get trains to the north of France and the east of France respectively. If you're on a train travelling to these stations, the names give you no clue as to what part of Paris you will be deposited in; if you're in Paris looking for these stations, the names give no clue as to where you will find them.

The Gare de Lyon is so called because it's where you go if you want to get a train to Lyon. The Gare de Luxembourg is not where you go to get a train to Luxembourg — those trains depart from the Gare de l'Est — but it is beside the Jardin du Luxembourg, a well-known Paris landmark. And the Gare d'Austerlitz does not offer services to Austerlitz, which is in the Czech Republic, but to Bordeaux. Why is it not called the Gare de Bordeaux? God knows.

Tl;dr: Paris rail terminus names are all over the place. Dublin's are a model of consistency by comparison. They are all named after historical figures associated with the 1916 Rising (Pearse, Connolly, Heuston) and for places adjacent to them (Pearse St; Connolly St; Sean Heuston Bridge).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

This seems like an issue for people who like to overthink things and will make absolutely no difference to everyone else.

Even the much vaunted Japanese can have odd stuff. Like how Shinagawa Station is in Minato, not Shinagawa. And it made absolutely no difference when I used it. It did it's job, which is what's important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I can't say for definite on signage but I'm sure in places like Thurles it says "towards Dublin and Towards Cork" but any time I get the train the announcement says "Heuston station Dublin" and my ticket says "Dublin Heuston".

Are people talking about it only being called Heuston when you are actually in Dublin ?

• Advertisement

I think folks are referring to things like the automated announcements on the train. “This is the. 14. Hundred. Hours. Service to. Heuston Station. Serving…”

e.g. https://youtu.be/PtNaisGXmaI?feature=shared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I must keep a listen out next time. I was sure they now said Heuston station Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It might have changed but in Kent station when I’ve been getting a train on the Cobh/Midleton line, I’ve heard station announcements listing out the stops for the cork to Dublin train, and it lists the stations out and says “Heuston station, Dublin” as the final stop.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

At one point in the past, at least on the 29000s, the announcement was for “Dublin Connolly”. They deliberately changed it to “Connolly Station” at some point, I’m not sure why. However the name “Dublin Connolly” hasn’t ever appeared on signs at the station, at least since the 1980s, it’s always been “Connolly Station”.

The point here being that everyone is supposed to just know that Heuston Station is in Dublin. Consider the Dublin bound visitor with poor English who changes train in Mallow or Limerick Junction and then hears an announcement saying that the train is going to Heuston Station. Their ear is hearing “blah blah blah” and hoping to discern “Dublin” but doesn’t.

I suspect it is a bit inconsistent but, as you can hear, in that clip I linked it just says “Heuston Station”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭spillit67

I agree with preferring names that show off a bit of character but let’s be honest, recent “namings” have become political hobby horses.

This recording suggests otherwise. The English announcement says “Pearse Station” but then “Dublin Connolly” which is weirdly inconsistent. And more inconsistent again is that the Irish announcement uses “Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile” (Connolly Station).

https://youtube.com/shorts/iHEdd8C3Lag?feature=shared

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That’s not a 29000, it’s a 22000 ICR.

And no they’re not the same! The format of announcements various widely between different rolling stock…there’s no “Iarnrod Eireann welcomes you on board…” on the the 29000s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭csirl

Names should have the location - something permanent.

Not like the Luas, where the Blackhorse stop is called after a pub that no longer exists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gare Du Nord, Gare de l'Est were originally built by and named for the old pre SNCF railway companies. Austerlitz is named after the nearby Quai d'Austerlitz, in turn named after the battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I really don't see the need for line numbers on the Dart - the destination tells you where the train is going, it's not like there's a load of alternative routings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The Gare du Nord was build by the Chemin de Fer du Nord company, right enough but Gare de l'Est was built by the Compagnie du Chemin de Fer de Paris à Strasbourg. All of the principle termini in Paris predate the SNCF and were build by different companies; that's partly why the naming conventions are not consistent.

But of course the same is true of Dublin; the termini were all built before anybody thought of CIÉ. Pearse was built by the Dublin and Kingstown Railway and was orginally called "Westland Row Station"; Heuston was built by the GSWR and was called "Kingsbridge Station"; Connolly was built by the Dublin and Drogheda Railway and was originally called "Dublin Station", despite the fact that there were already other stations in Dublin. It was renamed "Amiens St Station" ten years after it opened. Broadstone, now closed, was built by the MGWR; Harcourt St, also closed, by the Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford Railway Company; and North Wall, still open (just) for freight but closed to passengers since 1922, by the LNWR.

Despite the diversity of railway companies, the naming convention is pretty uniform; all of the termini were named to indicate where in the city they were, although it took about 10 years for the Dublin and Drogheda Railway to come to that particular party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 PlatformNine

I dont see why they shouldn't be named, as long as both the name and destination are shown. For regular rail users it might not mean much but for newer or occasional users, or especially tourists it would be helpful. Now that assumes the naming system is easy to understand, but I definetly don't think it could hurt the network. Honestly DART SW, W, N, and S, aren't too bad for names, just maybe if they went with that option having a name for services between Malahide/Howth and Bray/Greystones, to seperate them from north and south services terminating at connolly. (at least its my understanding not all services would operate the full length?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 DrivingSouth

What are the P routes? Peak?

If so what is the difference between X and P?

Do X have fewer stops?

Exactly that.

P = Peak only routes that serve all stops.

X = Express routes.

I was in Kent the other day and the announcement actually said "Dublin Hueston". I looked closer and the large digital displays showing up coming trains show Dublin (Hueston), as does the digital display next to the train. On the train's external digital display, it says Dublin (Heuston). In the older trains, the voice over now says Dublin Heuston, while the newer trains say Heuston Station. The signs at intermediate stations like Thurles say "towards Cork" and "towards Heuston". The blue plaques in the station all say "Hueston Station". Not one of the Irish translations include Dublin, except on the old trains when they pull into the station. They all just say Heuston Station in Irish. On the digital displays in the commuter stations up to Portaloise it says Heuston Station only. On the Cork commuter stations, it only says Cork or Cork (Kent), never just Kent.

Meanwhile, for Kent, it's all Cork (Kent) on digital displays in stations, while blue plaques say Cork Kent. The digital displays outside and inside the trains just say Cork, except for when you just pull into Cork and the announcement says Kent Station Cork.

Basically, there seems to be zero rhyme or reason as to which is used or not. I'm also surprised that the Irish isn't the same as the English. I wonder if there is some law that is breaking

Advertisement