Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster House Bicycle Shed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭thereiver

i,d imagine to build anything in that location it has to pass through multiple committees and planning as regards design and use of materials .i,d like to see a full list of costs , i think the whole area around it has to designed eg materials used ,is it concrete, granite etc its funny theres no cover at the sides so it could still get wet in heavy rain.i think a one bed apartment costs around 200k to build minus vat and minus the cost of the land. It,s probably a one off design .

i think you could ask a company to build a standard bike shed for 20k max.

i think the opw must have a very complex system of working with contractors

to spend over 300k on a bike shed. This is going to show up in international newspapers and news websites like fark and drudge.com .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Worring thing is I think these tax benefits are temporary in the long term. Idiots just blowing it. Just remember down the line. Absolute waste and ineptitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭_BAA_RAM_EWE

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=981996427231501&id=100062634594775&mibextid=qi2Omg&rdid=fBC0NQzlVKdp3JLk

Hers a better bike shed supplied and fitted for 20k. Both of them absolutely sh1te if it rains. And apparently they took down a better bike shed that was in a better location. It probably cost another 50k for someone to do that. Someone should check.

It's so disappointing to look at how things are in this country. 40 years of 20hr waits in A&E and only getting worse, people dying on waiting lists. 3 billion euro hospital, 5 billion pyrite houses, RTE, 235 billion national debt, 15,000 homeless, Must be close to 10billion housing ukraines/IPA over last 3 years and another 36 million added to that today to probably be spent on drones or bombs. Electricity black outs…name a department and it's just a failure.

And if people want to protest we are told we have a right but don't do anything else or you'll be called a hooligan. People get violent because they're not being listened to. These guys don't listen. Never listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Leinster House "bike shed"?

It's quite obviously not a bike shed, more like a shelter or awning, but it's not a shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Apologists starting to creep in.

We're not thick. We know of project scope creep and sunken cost considerations.

Words won't dilute the cost vs the itemisation that we are left with on what is now day 3 of the exposure.

Your analogy is one of not even comparing apples and oranges, but oranges and fish.

The itemisation has shown us a "bike shed" and a "QS".

End of.

They are refusing to itemise further quoting Section 9 confidentiality and also covering tender bypass as they classified it as "essential maintenance".

A roof leak is essential maintenance.

A bike shed is not.

So as long as they leave the itemisation detail as bike shed and QS, then do forgive us plebs/taxpayers for running with that.

Looks like a bike shed, sounds like a bike shed, so is a bi….

Now, up and off to do an honest day's work with me.

Procurement got shafted here.

Not their money, so we paid.

I have worked for multinationals with big dollar names. Some potential suppliers would send in preposterous top level quotes for projects.

"They've got dollars and deep pocket" attitude.

Ask for itemisation and cost breakdowns and many would go silent.

Some just quoted using Anglo-Irish Bank "process" for estimating.

Although one brass-kneck presented an itemisation of a single line item for €5k.

This was for a floodlight above an outside plant room area, where there was already a lighting point.

I kid you not. He has never originally itemised but then had to reverse engineer and somehow get everything to add to €350k.

My estimate...€500 labour and materials for that line item.

There were other bizarre itemisations, but that specific line was enough to say good luck.

So, if I had not done my job, I could easily have accepted the quote from "sound man ex-footballer.

That particular facilities project, quotes ranged from €160k to €350k.

And yes the deliverables were similar as the RFQ (request for quotation) was clear.

Quite likely here that "sound man" got the bike shed job.

Day 3.

If there was similar debacle related to other requests for Government detail required, we would have it by now.

Day 3 and the bike shed costs have not been expanded and given to us.

Day 3. Must be some craic in there.

Illness, stress-leave and possibly bullying accusations going on. You can be sure HR involved. "I felt that the Minister was angry when he asked me for the procurement process and cost breakdowns".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭fliball123

You never answered mine. I told you what my experience is and have answered your question. So we will have to agree to disagree and let others on here make up their own mind.

Your saying that a customer/client will/should pay full costs no matter how much more the final bill is as apposed to what was agreed at the start of a project without question or explanation. I have agreed that there are cases where this happens in the private sector but its rare and it happens way to much in the public sector. I have never had a case where someone just pays without any kind of review/audit/explanation of the cost differential. So let others make up their own mind.

Also the comment at the end I tell you I would hate to have someone like you looking after a project that I was funding as you would empty my bank account and tell me just keep paying and take it. Do you work in the public sector by any chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’m just waiting on a surveyor to come along to announce that there’s a flaw in the design and it’s now a health and safety hazard and must be torn down 🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I'd say a Dee Forbes will be pulled and whoever is responsible will sail off into the sunset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hers a better bike shed supplied and fitted for 20k

He ain't fitting anything for 20k with that level of ground works and finish.

But fair play to him for getting publicity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the irish times kept an article by michael mcdowell about waste of pubic money in redesigning the library in leinster house, on the front page for a day or two.

thornton hall was bought by the state in 2005. guess who was minister for justice from 2002 to 2007?

read the article. he could have done it for 7k.

he priced what was actually done in it. theirs apparently granite ground. Maybe a waaaay over the top estimate of 100k he said.

And this is just this week's waste of money. Their should be a thread in here stickied with just the weekly waste by Harris and co in it. In a few months people might wake up when they scroll through all the forgotten stories...like this one will be next week.

So he is saying now it would cost 100k?

He left that out of the tweet.

The reality is he hasn't a clue how much he would quote for it because like most people he doesn't know what level of work went into it.

That said they are not helping themselves here, the "breakdown" of costs they released was an absolute joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

McDowell lost his seat in 2007 and never returned to the Dail.

Maybe if his successors had followed through and built a new prison at Thornton Hall our prison service wouldn't be in the state it's in now.

We have a shortage of spaces which has led to criminals being released early and poor conditions for inmates and staff.

• Advertisement

I don't need to.

He is not getting that level of finish for 7k or 20k like he claimed in his tweet. Nor has he any idea what scope of works the contractor(s) were tasked with.

What part of that is confusing you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You never answered the questions and are missing parts of information in the scenario. The client is informed at every point of rising costs and why by the consultant firm. You seem to be saying a company should do work for free and ignoring the requirements changed from the start and the initial quote. The consultant company provided everything they said they would.
    I am asking you who is responsible and how to stop it happening again? Saying a project manager would solve the problem is nonsense as they couldn’t change anything all they would be doing is telling the client what has happened. Initial spec/details were incomplete from the client so the quote doesn’t include the additional work which then gets charged. Further considerations were also added which again is more work. Then an issue is discovered in the code requires even more work. You are saying all this extra work should be provided for free by the consultant. It doesn’t work like that with a plumber in your own home so why would it work like that with services for any company or state body?
    A good project manager has to keep an eye on costs, time and scope. When a client starts to expand the scope beyond the agreement they are meant to stop it or make the client pay for additional work. Totally different to trying to charge more for agreed work which was never part of the scenario I gave. I wouldn’t want you as a client if you kept moving the goalposts of what work was agreed and expecting it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

If people think this is fraud, what do you think this structure should cost? Not a hypothetical other structure, or a plastic shed plonked down, but this structure? 300k looks about right to me. You can see 100-150k in fabrication and materials just on first glance. That's excluding the new road surface that appears to have been added, electrics, drainage, management, and on and on. That's just the cost of things these days.

The twitter quotes from other companies are absurd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not sure if serious...

Yes serious, how much should that structure cost?

You'd build a house for roughly the same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

So what is chambers going to do if he finds out who’s accountable. That is what he needs to answer but of course he won’t answer it bar kicking it down the road. Unless he’s going to fire someone then it’s just words that have no meaning

you'd want to see the steel shred my dad got for 4,800k earlier this year to see what value for money is.

• Advertisement

I can't see how that is relevant, unless the price included extensive ground works and a specific Irish Granite Base and your Dads house is a protected building?

You seem to misunderstand how conversations work. I am not comparing the bike shed with software. You and I still don’t know why it cost so much. During this discussion I gave an example of a real world scenario that I do know details about. Then I asked people to explain who is to blame and how to stop costs going up. In effect it has little to do with the shed itself but about applying the belief people should be fired.

If you cannot point to who is at fault and who should be fired then you are proving my point. You and I do not know if the design was changed multiple times pushing up the price. I don’t know what went wrong but obviously it did but I have explained how costs can go up in an area I am familiar with

I never said anything like that read back what I posted. I simply said that in my experience people will simply not pay a higher cost of a project/build/service once its finished from what was quoted without some kind of explanation/audit or valid reason why the cost is different and that if the cost is too much and the the Project/build/service is completed without communication with the customer/client more times than not in my experience the customer/client wont pay for something that is costing 4 times more. As I say people on here will make up their own mind on how things are you have your experience and I have mine. I have been dealing with SMEs and trust me the room to pay 4 times for the price of a certain service/project is simply not there. Your either working with the MNCs or/and the Public sector.

I seem to "misunderstand how conversations work" ?

Are you for real?

That particular conversation, if it was ever had, probably cost €235k (being generous).

My "conversations" have saved that type of squandering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

All of this isn't even a storm in a teacup compared with all the other wastes of taxpayers money FFFG have squandered over the last number of years…

And the below isn't from RTE news or the Irish Times/Independent.. it's from Waterford Whispers!

If such a small sum of money, relatively speaking, wasted by the Irish State angers you so, then the following should completely and irrevocably boil your piss:

€19 million was allocated to Children’s Health Ireland to be used to address scoliosis surgery waiting lists. This money was misappropriated and spent on things other than ending children’s suffering and immense pain.

This week a whistleblower revealed €1.1bn has been lost in social welfare overpayments in a decade.

€158m has been spent on the Metrolink project since 2023 despite no actual construction taking place.

In 2022, the government failed to spend 25% (€1 billion) of its social housing budget in the middle of a housing crisis.

If Ireland remains on its current trajectory on climate targets it will face fines of at least €8.2bn after 2030.

In 2022, local councils only bothered to collect €138,335 of the €9.6 million they were owed by land hoarders in vacant site levies, and 13 of 31 local authorities didn’t even issue demands for vacant site levies to be paid.

BAM, builders of the National Children’s Hospital recently asked for an additional €107mn, bringing the total cost of construction to over €2.3 billion. Once you take a sedative to calm your fury Taoiseach, you might consider confronting whoever was Minister for Health at the time construction began.

The coalition government punished state broadcaster RTÉ for its mismanagement; concealed payments, €2.2 million on a musical, forcing PAYE employees to be freelance contractors, with €725 million funding.

In 2002, then Min for Education Michael Woods signed an agreement with 18 Irish religious orders involved in child sex-abuse scandals limiting their compensation liability to victims to only €128 million. This compensation scheme is estimated to have cost the Irish government €1.35 billion. Something to chew over Taoiseach as you consider news of an inquiry identifying 2,400 cases of sexual abuse in 308 schools run by religious orders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Blame the government and TDs all you like when it comes to wastage and lack of accountability but it's the senior civil servants who run this country, and don't have to reapply for their jobs every 4 years.

Yes you could but it's apples and oranges. This is a historical building/campus and this covering looks to be a competent custom solution that looks very well. People who think you could get this done for anywhere near 100k are off their rocker. Also off their rocker are the people suggesting to plonk down a 10k plastic shed in front of such an important building. Whether it's good value for money is a different question, but I've no doubt that the costs are appropriate for what's been built.

The more interesting story for me here are the politicians throwing their officials under the bus, and a finance minister not seeming to understand the most basic principles of public procurement.

They should be “ensuring that whenever projects are advanced, that they’re at the lowest cost for the taxpayer”.

Leinster House’s €336k bike shed is ‘complete waste of public money’, says Finance Minister Jack Chambers | Irish Independent

So you can’t explain how your view should be applied to the scenario I provided and certainly can’t show how your “conversation” abilities would keep the job at initial quote. You are blindly angry about the shed and not understanding what I have said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Exiled1

There is only one question that needs to be asked in all this farrago.

Who took the graft? The Fraud Squad should have been all over this since the initial report.

• Advertisement

So you have no experience working with large organisations and the difficulties in pinpointing waste and costs. You are saying that because you don’t have such experience you don’t understand how costs can increase. An explanation has been provided but you want to say because it can’t happen in your sector it shouldn’t happen elsewhere.
    You seem to think because I do have experience in large organisations my experience is less relevant than yours because you don’t have experience. Very weird logic. There are totally different considerations and costs with large organisations that cause issues.
    Again you never solved the scenario I gave. Who is to blame and how do you stop. Not doing the work is not an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

Filibustering the way to go here

as president of ireland, he will stamp out government waste?

No better man to stamp something out!

Yip the convicted criminal will sort out of everything.

You'd imagine he would appreciate a bike shed.

He'd break a few legs in the Govt. Ms. Pee bles

How dare you assume my gender. I'm a non-binary entity.

I have had experience working in MNCs as well as of late is mostly SMEs and your experience has not been mine as I say your in an echo chamber now, you know what you know and I know what i know your not going to change my mind. People will judge for themselves and on this topic 330k for a bike shed so you think that is an appropriate amount?

How you stop it is you have the fraud squad beefed up or an independent third party set up and brought in with their brief being given value for money to the tax payer and looking at all procurement within the public sector going forward with them actually looking during the process not after as well they also need the power to say stop if a breakpoint of cost has been breached such as for example if during the scope of works of creating a bike shed these people are told its costing 330k they will without a shadow of a doubt shout stop and come to the realization that the tax payer is not getting value for money. Who is to blame the civil savants and politicians who they report into

• Advertisement
Advertisement