Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Fantastic game it is, really high quality in all areas imo and possibly the best souls game that isn't by FromSoftware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

I loved lies of P great atmosphere and gameplay. Some challenging bosses and great length for a soulsborne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Something I've just discovered, they mark and update quests and do it subtly. If someone has something to say, the game puts their face or an item beside the stargazer menu to give you a heads up.

Take note, Miyazaki!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Luna84

Put a fair few hours into this between yesterday and this evening and man what a game I'm starting to enjoy collecting the orbs and with bullets and explosions and toxic grenades, incendiary grenades and standard ones going off all around you. Non stop mayhem and constant enemies it can get hectic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shiren the Wanderer on the Switch is getting DLC that massively expands the game with a huge amount of content. For free. Kind of great for a game that's already considered by a lot of people as a game of the year contender without the content (I've only finished the first in the series but it's a contender for best game I played all year). Pretty sure it will make it to PC at least but I think console ports next year will happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In a year where I’d struggle to make a top ten considering the sheer volume of great games, Shiren is nonetheless a comfortable favourite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think astrobot is the shoe in for a (well deserved) popular vote but I can see Shiren getting on a few personal or curated lists considering how addicted I was to the original this year.

I'm presuming it's the same for this game but each post game optional dungeon completely changes how you approach the game and this dlc is adding more of them.

Anyone else having issues with this thread and the gaming news thread? I'm posting this but I don't even know if I'll be able to see a reply! It just stops showing the latest replies. Every other thread in the gaming forum is functioning normally for me except those two. Weird!

It's all over the site. I had to go back four pages to read your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I never knew a Watch Dogs film was being made until I saw it mentioned on Push Square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Anyone play test drive solar crown yet ? Is it worth the purchase if so, seen some mixed reviews online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The IGN review makes me want to run a mile. Doesn't sound good what with forced online being a big issue :

Oh, and only 2 Japanese cars.... in a racing game.... think I said it when I saw the launch trailer, its aiming at the high end car market which, imo, is the worst part of modern racing games.

Very misleading title here:

What it says is the game and PS5 are selling really badly in Japan. It kind of highlights how dead traditional console model is in Japan with handheld and mobile dominating and even PC on the up.

Considering its only taking into account direct retails sales in Japan and excluding digital or outside Japan purchased copies (Amazon, etc) so I wouldn't be too worried tbh. But handheld is more popular there, I'm assuming due to space and travel issues. Don't think many Japanese can have a 55" OLED in their houses, and there's probably so much traveling by public transport it's a good way to get in a few hours a day. PC gaming is getting bigger if I'm not mistaken.

Did expect it to sell more though, but maybe once we have digital and imported sales it'll go up. Plus with the explosion of tourists over there, prices have basically doubled for games in some areas, especially the older second hand market. Like Ireland, seems Japan is charging tourist rates for things now.

I finished playing Dungeons of Hinterberg this morning. Great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Anybody see this Skyrim yogurt ?

I didn't play games back then in fact I doubt I'd of had time as I was working full time on building sites back then.

• Advertisement

Exceptional lineup, my biggest issue was I wasnt really working so had tonnes of time but less money :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Three incredibly important games to me in that lineup; MGS2, GTA3 and Devil May Cry. Those games just hit at the exact right time for me.

Its all about SH2, my tiny teenage brain couldnt comprehend how games were no longer just games and the story it brought the player on hasnt been matched IMO

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ico is the stand out game for me in that list, one of my all time favourites. GT3 was great too iirc.

All ten are standout titles for me. The PS2 went from a poor launch to a must have console very quickly.

Ace Combat 04 might have just been an update of the already great PS1 games but it looked incredible at the time with ground textures sources from gps data.

Dark Alliance is the weakest but it's still a fun coop action RPG.

Devil May Cry basically started the character action game genre and is still a blast. It was a brand new experience.

FFX is one of the weaker games in the series but it looked absolutely stunning with fantastic facial animations.

GT3 looked incredible, probably the best looking game at the time.

GTA3 was a phenomenon.

Ico is a stone cold classics that still holds up today and felt like the beginning of more art focused games.

Jak and Daxter is a fantastic platformer with impressive open world tech. It might be my favourite naughty Dog game.

MGS2 is flawed but the level of detail and interaction as well as the enemy AI were ground breaking.

And Silent Hill 2 might be the best horror game every made and one of the few videogames with an actual good narrative and writing.

I know I went from the launch of the PS2 thinking it sucked compared to the DC to pretty much thinking it was essential that Christmas.

It was Soul Reaver on the PS1 in 99 that did that for me, and still stands as my favourite rose tinted gaming experience, if not my favourite game in general. Even the actors in it were surprised with the amount of story and talking in it.

• Advertisement

GTA V is eleven years old. A game which I bought five times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

GTA 3 spawned three games in one console generation. GTA 5 spawned one game in three console generations.

It's kind of insane to see how much videogames workflows have slowed down as tech has increased. Look how many games Insomniac managed to pump out on the PS3. Or From Software releasing 4 armoured core games, 3 souls games, chrome hounds, enchanted arms, the steel battalion Kinect games and a tenchi game in the ps360 era. We got 3 uncharteds and the last of us from naughty dog on PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Could never finish GTAV, I’d always get to a certain point and get incredibly bored with the mission structure, and the idea of heists didn’t grab me that much.

It’s what I’m most interested to see about VI. I’ve no doubt it’ll be an amazing technical showcase but Rockstars gameplay and mission structure leaves a lot to be desired. That and the weird balance they have between simulation and videogame. I really hope the over-maintenance of your character is gone, I don’t want to have to have a shower and breakfast and bring my car for it’s NCT before I can start a mission!

It's definitely become a problem where the missions are so scripted because of the planned dialogue or cinematic events during a mission that really hamper the mission design and freedom that used to come from GTA games. Same with RDR2. It can really add to some missions, but can also be so limiting especially when you're replaying a mission (or more likely being forced to restart a mission because you didn't do the exact thing the mission wanted you to do at the right time to trigger a scripted event). Unfortunately, I don't see GTA6 moving too far away from that.

What they need to make sure to do is make everything else outside of the main missions fun and encourage freedom/experimentation. Like you say, no huge amount of simulation (RDR2 seriously annoyed me in that regard). I want to walk into a barber shop bald and walk out with an afro without having to drink hair tonic to grow my hair long enough.

• Advertisement

Heading on a couple of weeks training across the pond soon, so hoping to get a loan of a Switch while I'm there. What games would ye recommend I play, keeping in mind I may not have the Switch longer than 3 weeks of weekday evening play.

Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Metroid Prime Remastered, Super Mario Odyssey, SM Kart, ... loads really ... but it depends on what you like.

If you have time, Breath of the Wild if you've not played it, otherwise Tears of the Kingdom. But really, you won't have time to make the most of them.

The Breath of the Wild cartridge has been lost in our house. I'm gutted to be honest. That's the downside of kids and small cartridges. This is probably one of the reasons people are not having kids anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

For switch only games odyssey or breath of the wild. You enjoyed Astro so odyssey would be a good shout.

Forget BOTW. He doesn't have the time for that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

Both Guacamelee games.

Great platformers to pick up for a few hours on Switch. They get tough.

Except for the fact that when he returns from the states he'd more than likely have to pick up a switch and breath of the wild due to wanting to finish it's genius

Just think it'd be mad to have a switch and not play something he can't play elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Astral Chain, Metroid Prime Remastered, Super Mario Wonder are all solid picks and don’t demand too much of your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Luigi Mansion. Odyssey. Loads more but those were two of my favourites.

• Advertisement

The 30fps will prevent me even trying! Same with TOTK, which is why I was waiting for a Switch 2 and hopefully 60fps!

Odyssey is the most likely one as its another exclusive and runs at 60fps. I get 30 is probably fine on the small screen, but I intend hooking it up to a tv. I can already feel the neck pain of constant playing on the small screen.

Yeah I wouldn't be recommending the Zelda games as they will take way longer than three weeks to beat. Play some shorter games that you can't get on PlayStation.

Mario Odyssey is pretty much essential. Mario 3D world is a great alternative, it starts of pretty easy but the post credit game (which is longer than the main game) is where it gets really good. You'll probably only have time for one.

Metroid Prime remaster is a fantastic update of one of the all time greats.

I've always loved Pikmin and you can't go wrong with either 3 or 4.

Astral Chain gets kind of forgotten but it's a brilliantly stylish Platinum game.

Mario Wonder is as good as 2D platforming gets.

As for maybes Kirby and the forgotten land is a delight but Mario 3D world is better. Luigi's Mansion 2 and 3 are excellent but are a little too drawn out in their run time.

Most switch games from Nintendo even if they are 30 fps are a rock solid 30 fps which is honestly fine. There's a massive difference between rock solid 30 and an inconsistent 30.

The exceptions would be Zelda and Xenoblade 2 and 3 but both are so good you get used to it and power through. Not going to deny that they would be better at locked 60.

If 60 fps is a requirement then Metroid prime is a rock solid 60 fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

30fps is fine for TOTK. The thing with lots of modern games is the fidelity level suffers I think with the lower refresh rate. I found FFXVI unplayable at 30fps, you just can't see what's going on. I have no issues at all with TOTK at that framerate.

Honestly you're missing out big time not checking out TOTK, it's probably one of the most ambitious and rich AAA experiences of the past couple years even if it does re-use BOTW's landscape.

The inconsistent frame rate in total irks me. Might be misremembering but I feel BotW had a much more consistent framerate.

The other thing that annoys me is the image quality on totk. They seem to have applied FSR to the image and it makes it really soft and blurry (I might be misremembering the first game if it had far or not as but I don't remember the image quality being as bad). I love the game but it would be a much better game with a stable framerate and better image quality.

I'll get to them on Switch 2 probably. They should get a fps bump with the newer hardware. One would hope anyway. And maybe 30 is grand or acceptable on the small screen, and I've no idea what kind of TV I'll have for the 2 weeks, if I get one at all, but 30 just does not look good on a 55" OLED and that's the bottom line for me. So rather than drag up this conversation again, let's just assume I'm never going to play a 30fps game again.

The mario games should keep me tied over, and definitely Metroid if I can get my hands on it. Should be enough, along with Crunchyroll, to pass the evenings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH I thought TotK ran remarkably well considering what the game is doing. Only slowdown I noticed was in the building mode. The vast majority of gameplay ran remarkably well given the hardware and complex gameplay demands.

Of course 60 FPS would be preferred and the image is inevitably a little soft. But for a Switch game it’s a technical marvel.

Might do a replay of Lies of P. Nothing else is kind of grabbing me at the moment. I'd been kind of waiting for a DLC announcement and figured I'd replay it just before the DLC released, but screw it, I'll replay it now and should still have adequate muscle memory for the DLC whenever it comes out.

It, along with never getting a docked only version, are the reasons I mainly didn't buy one. Literal zero interest in using it as a mobile gaming device. I'd only ever use it docked, so I wanted a cheaper docked only version that didn't have the unnecessary and expensive screen. And while they gave an undocked only version, alas I wait for what will never come. Which I don't understand, because there are others like me. Maybe they caved and bought one...

I'm sure I'll get to play them, but by that time anything new they did will probably be par for course and won't blow me away! I'm OK with that though, and who knows, maybe I won't like them to begin with. Tis nearly a shame to ruin a 40 year no-Zelda streak!

• Advertisement

An console fan in the 60fps fanclub. The tables have turned. 15 years ago the console fans would be saying how 30 fps is more cinematic.

As for not being blown away by Zelda, other developers still haven't managed to replicate what makes the open world so much better than anything else on the market. There's places where the games can be improved but it's open world and exploration haven't been made matched and we still get open world games with icon vomit.

Advertisement