Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The decline of FG?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,238 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I said it was 'unconfirmed'. I didn't accuse a Minister of anything. To this very minute we don't know if the minister or a member of his staff knew. We do know other Ministers knew it was being built. What the line Minister knew we simply don't know and that includes you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Now that is the refuge of the most unscrupulous. Throw out a facetious accusation that you picked up on the internet, with a disclaimer that it was unconfirmed.

Only one poster here has 'named' a politician responsible for this latest overspend and called for her resignation.

I didn't name the politician and I said it was 'unconfirmed'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You also said - with no qualifications whatsoever:

By signing off on it he has facilitated whatever incompetence was involved. The CS need ministerial sign off to get away with something like this. He could have, with the stroke of a pen, stopped the extravagance/incompetence/corruption or whatever it was inflated the cost. 

Plenty of accusations there - and catching yourself in your own lies to boot.

Well, I assume a bit of intelligence on behalf of the reader. I probably should have said 'if he signed off on it….' My bad, consider the point clarified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You made the assertion that:

The CS need ministerial sign off to get away with something like this.

But instead of being capable of even a tiny degree of honesty it's back to throwing personal jibes. Typical.

I posted the relevant Civil Service regulations that demonstrated that that particular claim - the CS need ministerial sign-off - was a blatant lie, and there was never a single admission that he was wrong, that he had been disingenuous, that he was engaged in a malicious attack on an unnamed politician.

He throws around false allegations like confetti, against politicians and posters alike.

That was not what I was accused of by blanch.

No problem admitting that was a part that was wrong in fact. I'd qualify it by saying the CS need the line minister asleep at the wheel to get away with an overspend like that. Another minister Jack Chambers claimed yesterday he personally was resisting spending submissions so clearly there is no block on a minister controlling his departments spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

Chambers is resisting overall budgets aka spending submissions

Thats not micro management of project budgets

You know this of course but continue spouting rubbish

I 'know' another Minister has taken control of his dept's spending. There seems to be no control in another as the bike shed and other cases in that dept show.

Tbh here you may get ready for others asking these questions Pureza because asked they will be. Tip of an iceberg like RTE vibes of the whole thing. 'but SF' will not be an acceptable answer either.

• Advertisement

You are again talking out of your backside here as to what I posted

The lack of self awareness projected by your post above and countless others is not even believeable either,hasn't been for years

Correcting your assertion once more,department budgets, indeed CoCo budgets,not project budgets are what the mimister and dept of Finance has some control over,got that yet ?

Nobody today is saying do nothing btw either,are they,no matter how many times you repeat yourself with that falsehood

Ministers have controlled 'project' budgets. Here is one instance.

Midwest Radio - Calls being made to the Transport Minister to allow vital road projects to go ahead

Seems to me what level a Minister wants to get involved is an á la carte decision.

Questions will be asked of the relevant line minister here. With several high profile cases exposed in his dept what did he do in terms of oversight and control? There will be questions for the CS too, no doubt.

Telling those asking questions they are 'talking out of their backsides' will not be an acceptable answer either. I sense ducks are being gotten in a row already.

Are you seriously comparing a motorway project budget/go ahead with micro managing the opw's hundreds of projects ?

I don't think you could possibly think thats a credible argument either

Little wonder these threads hop around with the same 3 or 4 readers

No one else would listen to that kind of codswallop

No, I am saying that your contention that a Minister can't control budgets is bogus, it seems a Minister is able to control budgets if he/she wants to. By the way, to counter the shrill 'you can't expect a Minister to be on top of every penny spent in his/her department' rants. I am not expecting that and never said he/she should. They have staff though and the power to delegate.

Anyway the Minister has now come out now publicly and said he was not even aware of the project. So we have that. We'll see where it goes from here.

You are conflating micro management with macro management

Deliberately so I'd say as the pet project of yours to chase a minister wouldn't work without doing that

It''s nonsense

Not confusing a thing.
    Ministers patently can get involved with spending on projects if they deem it important.

Not just me 'chasing' the minister either for answers here. Sorry to disappoint you.

In fairness for a young fella he has learned the 'I know nothing' routine well.

Ivana Bacik, Eamon Ryan and the Ceann Comhairle knew about it IB and the CC having a media reported spat about it. His replacement K. O'Donnell (Minister For Housing at the time)knew about it and organised planning for it (all reported in the media) and two Dáil committees also discussed the building of it, also reported in the media.

It was also built in his workplace and he never heard of it until this week?

This is why FG are in decline IMO, people can see through the flannel now. They had a chance, a golden one after 2008 but Enda's flannel about New Politics blew it.

These posts are getting longer

You know what they say about explaining

The Minister you say has norhing to answer for is ‘explaining’ and he’ll be ‘explaining’ some more too. Ditto the CS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Depends what you consider to be "the benefit" of home ownership. To many people there are multiple benefits, such as being able to develop an extension, a driveway or an attic, to eventually own your home and the security of not paying rent in your later years, to leave something to your kids so they always have a fallback and don't end up homeless, to know that you won't be kicked out of your home and have to find a new one on the whim of your landlord.

When you rent a property the price you can sell for and who you can sell to are benefits you don't have anyway

I told you that I had shown him the expenditure approval limits for the Civil Service and that as a result the Minister wouldn't have signed off on the project - which was his first and main claim, a claim which has been shown to be disingenuous and malicious. He has repeatedly ignored that information and continued to discuss and debate in bad faith. You can only take it so far, show the absurdity of his arguments, and then just leave it there.

• Advertisement

Again: I said that it required 'confirmation'. Exactly what you should be doing instead of making unproven allegations.

The Minister has now claimed he knew nothing at all of the project. We will see if that is true in due course. If it is it begs several other questions.

SF now pointing out that they will build houses for 250k while FFG builds bike sheds for 335k. Funny analogy I think we can all agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Vexorg

do you really believe that Sinn Fein can build houses for €250,000, are they not saying that will sell from that figure after an €8,000,000,000 per annum subsidy.

This is a good example of somebody falling for false information

They are saying they will build 75,000 for social rental, 25,000 for affordable purchase and 25,000 for affordable rental at a cost of €39bn which when you divide the two figures equates to an average of 312,000 for each of the above mentioned 125,000 homes.

The social and affordable rental will be a nice continuous earner for the state while it's not clear if the €6.25bn+ made form the sale of 25,000 houses for 250k+ each is included in the €39bn figure or not it's prudent to assume that it is

In total, including the private builders building 175k homes over 5 years, it equates to 60k homes a year

I hope this clears it up for you

nope it does not clear it up, do you really believe Sinn Fein can build a house for €250,000?

One of the features of the 'arrogance of power' is increasing displeasure and outrage if anyone scrutinises what you are doing. This releases Minister/members and supporters of those in power onto media and social media to arrogantly try to cast shade on anyone who scrutinises or questions them or offers alternatives to what they are doing.
    You can see it clearly in this debacle over the bike shed and when somebody offers a different way of doing things, like housing.

The word 'schadenfreude' has been mentioned a lot here, but the way the bike shed and the new housing policy have combined to see the government's own schadenfreude come to bite them in the ass would be hilarious if it wasn't such a serious abuse of power and the taxpayer . More to come I would say.

Lad makes arrogant post after arrogant post accusing others of arrogance

The ironing

QED.
    Cast shade, point over there, rage at messengers and whistleblowers, demean, deride and undermine but never ever offer solutions that might undermine/criticise what is currently going on and those involved.

Stick religiously to the 'I know nothing' excuses, circle the wagons again and carry on. Increasingly the FG/FF/Green way.

Read my post again, this time more carefully.

Clue: 250k+ (up to 300k) is the price they will sell the affordable units for

You think they deliberately timed the bike shed news to come out around the time of the news of the SF housing plan so that people wouldn't notice the first bit of news? FFG must be running scared if that's their tactic

• Advertisement

why are you constantly deflecting, it’s a pretty simple question, perhaps you could read my posts again.

Your post…. SF now pointing out that they will build houses for 250k while FFG builds bike sheds for 335k. Funny analogy I think we can all agree.

I ask you do you believe Sinn Fein can build a house for 250k, are the not talking about the heavily subsidised price they will sell them for. You accuse of misinformation and do not answer the question.

I ask you again do you believe that Sinn Fein can build a houses for 250k and you again deflect and make a condescending post about not reading your post.

I’m just asking if you believe this build price?

TBF I think you are taking a joke tweet rather too seriously.

Quite possibly this is the most inherently ironic post on this site.

Castigates OPW for overspending on a bike shed, while in the same sentence, supports the idea of OPW on speed being able to build houses cheaper than the private sector!!!

Trump would be proud of that.

Nothing wrong with the OPW in theory they do some great work.

What is wrong is that nobody is accountable when they get things wrong, in the CS and and the government.

The very idea a Minister can escape any accountability by saying 'I know nothing' needs to change as does the 'but the Unions' excuse for not applying accountability to the CS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭jh79

I agree with a lot you are saying about PS/CS accountability in general. But if I was to rank the parties on likelihood of tackling the unions, similar to Labour and PBP I would have SF pretty low on that list. I wouldn't trust FF either given how soft on the unions they were in the past. To me FG would be the most likely party to tackle the issue.

I actually think the 'tackling the Unions' obstacle is an excuse.
    How could a union successfully reject accountability in the workplace?
    People here immediately jump to outrage and think you are 'looking for a head' when you ask for accountabilty.

I'd only be looking for a head if it was a wilful/knowing defrauding of the taxpayer.

What is inherently wrong with asking for and getting honest answers to what went wrong and putting procedures and checks and balances in place to stop it happening again?

• Advertisement

It's impossible to ask a minister to be across all of the opw projects,how could they even understand the minutae anyway?

It's an utterly ridiculous suggestion,completely unworkable,out of curiosity though,has the pac any teeth in dealing with civil servants that go wild with projects/budgets? Or is all we ever get just recommendations and reports?

This is where the heart of the issue is:

Private companies have to be effecient or they go bust

The CS can leave their office at 5 or earlier and go play racquet ball and go back in and stamp 20 invoices as paid next morning

I agree, a single Minister can't. But he/she have staff. If not enough staff maybe look at more. This isn't rocket science.
    PAC/SIPO etc have been hobbled in doing their jobs properly. SIPO have relentlessly called for more powers but the FG FF axis has never given it to them.
    Are you seeing the problem here?

All those extra staff cost money, there is an inherent problem with public service efficiency, that, to be fair, is a worldwide phenonemon, yet you persist in supporting a policy that says the public service can build houses more cheaply and more efficiently than the private sector.

Amazing irony.

Sipo have no remit to the CS but as you bring them up,good luck with thinking any party,no matter what they say in oppostion are ever going to tighten a noose around their oen neck,its all bullshìti

I do think theres a conflict of interest between wanting to get reelected and having enough moneys allocated in co councils budgets such that heaps is spent in a rush to have no reduction in the following years

Wastage in public spending is Rife,it's an institutional problem

It has nothing to do with Fine Gael on their own or this dubvious thread title

As I said before,look to the councils to see the lack of sincerity on financial accountability amongst the elected,yours included

This is a just another post implying the solution is to accept it and 'carry on'. I suspect it is because the lack of any attempts to curb waste and possible corruption will reflect badly on those who have had power here since Independence.

P.S. I mentioned SIPO not because it has any oversight of the CS but because it has been hobbled in the same way. The same 'I know nothing' excuses help evade responsibility across all institutions of the State.

• Advertisement

This is what right wing MAGA type trump voters do. Focus on the smallest part of an often humourous sentence to try and detract from the main issue which their own elected representative could fix if they were so inclined

Hearing news this morning that Harris won't call the election until next year, meaning the Dail must be disolved no later than 19 February. Not sure if this is the best move for the govt parties but we can only wait and see

https://www.newstalk.com/news/taoiseach-rules-out-general-election-this-year-1762296

what joke tweet?. I was referring to your colleagues post here on boards

what joke tweet?

I presume the poster was originally referencing this, and said 'build' instead of 'get'.

my first responses to the poster sought clarification on the build vs sell (get in Sinn Fein speak) from 250,000. They could have cleared it up by making that clear. Assuming they were referring to this joke tweet.

do you believe Sinn Fein would be able to deliver the number of homes in the time frame and cost outlined in their manifesto.

your comrade in arms introduced this particular Sinn Fein propaganda and you went on to defend it. But rich pointing me at the now closed Sinn Fein threads don’t you think?

I commented on what he/she said was a 'funny analogy'.
    It was a humourous tweet poking fun IMO. Maybe went over your head but ho hum.
    You can discuss SF policy in other threads on the site, or you can open a thread, nothing stopping you.

thanks for the condescending lesson on how a discussion forum works. Regarding the joke tweet, you posted a tweet today, however the post I commented on was not a tweet and said build not get.

• Advertisement
Advertisement