Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French man accused of drugging his wife and inviting men to rape her

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If you are the one that thinks an ordinary man is one who frequents perverted chatrooms trying to find women to rape, then may I suggest you widen your social circle to meet new people as "ordinary" is generally relative to your own benchmark of who you meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ok you go first. What should you be publicly shamed for?

Obviously a horrific story. Shocking that nobody blew the whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Musicrules

It was a great analogy. You thinking you have some form of gotcha would be hilarious if this wasn't such a serious topic. Male drivers cause more fatal crashes, your attempt has been crushed, get over it.

To try to stop the high level of crashes on our roads, numerous ad campaigns have been used on TV and education in schools has improved. Is this what we need to do in regards to the rape and sexual assault epidemic? We need to educate young boys in schools about what is right and wrong behaviour towards women. Some will be offended by this but I'd rather some men be offended than letting the status quo continue. If it even saves 1 woman from being being raped then surely it's worth it.

Whatever way we go about it, we need to stand together on this. It's men and women against the men who rape and sexually assault others.

That's the thing though. Deviance isn't only restricted to weird looking people who give you the 'no feeling' on first meeting them. They are spread through society. The ones who get caught tend to be the reckless ones or have learning disabilities.

My wife worked with violent offenders and it's pretty clear that the ones in prison are heavily biased towards the most stupid ones. The more clever ones tend to blend in better and are less likely to be caught.

Not sure what it says about society as a whole. There's more deviance out there than you'd expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

How exactly would we know that though? This case shows that, while clearly not all men are on those sites, plenty of "ordinary" men are. And for women, that is terrifying.

And to be blunt, the furious reaction by a number of male posters here, with constant misrepresentation of what I and others have said, plus a complete refusal to see the situation from a women's point of view, and a smattering of sexist nonsense about women drivers (nonsense because factually inaccurate) make it seem like maybe the problem is bigger than "just a few".

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

I think you are mixing up the difficulty in identifying a deviant, with continuing to identify them ordinary after you know they are a deviant

I mean, do you think those men should have been charged at all if they were just ordinary men doing their ordinary thing that ordinary men do?

I certainly wouldn't describe either their seeking out and frequenting of those groups or doing what they did as something an ordinary person would do.

You could perhaps respond to the question I've asked a couple of times?

Fast moving thread, I don't know what question that is. And you certainly have not replied to mine, which I asked ages ago: in practice, how are women to tell which ordinary seeming men are the perverts, and how should that impossibility of knowing affect their general approach to men if at all?

IOW would women be well-advised to be suspicious of all men, just in case, or should they continue to give men the benefit of the doubt, even if that necessarily leads to a certain number of them being abused in the way this woman has been?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

It actually makes it more scary. Why are these men getting offended on behalf of rapists? When something serious happens in other areas, there's an outcry and calls for something to be done. Drink driving is an example I used but things like high amounts of suicides, we all call for better mental health services. Youth crime, we call for higher levels of punishment and more guards. Why can't we call for increased action against the serious issue of rape and sexual assaults committed against women?

I wasn't commenting on that at all. I should think the answer is obvious.

I was commenting on identifying deviants. They don't all present as weirdos or get caught. The clever ones can blend in and present as normal.

Not sure why I'm explaining this again. My post was clear enough.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. A number of men on here are literally lying about what's been said: NOBODY has said "all men are abusers". So why are they so angry at any attempt to do anything other than always dismiss it as a tiny unimportant problem with no wider significance? Any attempt at taking the measure of the problem causes absolute fury - and that doesn't happen with other social problems.

Imagine if we couldn't set out to evaluate the true number of drug users in society without people screaming that this was someone with an agenda to accuse everyone of being a junkie? Yet that's the equivalent of what happens every single time we try to talk about male violence against women.

And how are women supposed to identify what other women are perverts or potential murderers?

Perhaps you should also treat all the women you meet with suspicion, just in case.

Ultimately, it's up to you how you want to live your life. Treat whoever you want with whatever suspicion you want.

The question was whether you thought there were more women who could benefit from additional driving lessons or training, or more men seeking out pervert chatrooms looking to rape unconscious women? The context was that you appeared to diminish the point about women drivers as being not important and a waste of money due to low numbers of them exhibiting bad driving or causing crashes etc.

May I remind you that you started a (deliberately shit-stirring) thread with the title "Men - any opinions? (Women are obviously free to comment too)"

But almost zero women are perverts or murderers, so the whole basis of your world view is inaccurate. It is men who are the VAST majority of violent criminals and sexual perverts.

So why would you want to start this campaign by targeting women?? A woman is FAR safer in a single sex area than when men are present. For instance

So if she gets her facts wrong and starts thinking she's in danger from women, she will be increasing her risk of assault, not decreasing it.

how are you so sure that the posters you refer to are male?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Offended on behalf of rapists !?!

WTF are you on about??? Im not offended on bhalf of rapists, im disgusted by them!

You are projecting the sick males that rape women, onto men on here dont !!!

And then you get offended when men on here fight back at your massive overstep…

There are BAD MEN , and there are BAD WOMEN..

theres also lots of GOOD MEN and GOOD WOMEN also…..

You try tar men on here because of some weirdos in France…… WOW…

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Do you think that the men who did this were "ordinary"?

I'm on to Christy Moore as we speak to work on a re-write:

I'm an ordinary man, nothing special nothing grand,

I've had to work for everything I own

I frequent pervert websites a lot

And see how many unconscious victims to rape I got

Enough to keep me happy in my home

It still need a bit of work I think

It's nonsense to refer to the perpetrators as "ordinary". In many ways it diminishes their actions.

Exactly and that's why this issue will continue. Until there's an admittance that this is not some outlier and sexual assault is a regular occurrence that women have to endure, then nothing will change. It's not all men, that's the major point. We all need the men against these rapists to assist in stopping them. Something has to be done.

Why are you lying? I never once projected men who rape onto men on here or anywhere.

The target is the sickos who rape, are you opposed to that? Would you welcome increasing education in schools to help reduce the levels of sexual assault committed against women?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Discrimination is good its how people live their lives, dont live here, dont socialize there, cross the road if you see X

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Well, you are blaming men, and then using the little "escape card" of 'not lall men'…

and then i get the vitriol i neither asked for or deserved…. 🤷‍♂️

Have a beautiful day ……………

What education would stop , a previously convicted rapist not to drug his wife, and then invite guys to rape her?

And then ..

Would education stop gun crime? School shootings? Drink driving? Drug driving ?

Assaults ? …

Calm down , and bit a little more realistic please.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Yes. I think men need to acknowledge that when women talk about sexual assault being a commonplace experience for women, it's not a one-to-one equivalence.

Most men never assault women, that's a given. But how many women have never experienced any form of sexual assault? I'd guess it's close to zero.

But when women say that, SOME men interpret that as women saying that therefore all men are involved. Which is so silly that I can't help thinking it's a deliberate tactic from those men.

Well either that or they genuinely are too stupid to understand that one abuser can abuse multiple women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Any suggestions on what to do?

If I may speak for the majority of men including myself, who are very much anti rape or abuse of any kind, and who would without a moments thought help any person being attacked or hurt.

What do you want us to do?

Men need to do more, men are the problem……..so what is the solution?

Asking for “all men” to stop being bad men, that’s just fantasy. There will always be bad men, and women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

a lot of effort for a man bashing thread, but I suppose you have nothing better to do with your time, drive on

Just a guess. Some that I know of have previously identified themselves as male but clearly we have no way of knowing that here.

And sadly, you are correct that there are always women who are prepared to go along with men oppressing women - perhaps because they feel that gives them extra credit in the eyes of men? I don't know.

But there was a significant number of women actively working against giving women the vote, and in countries where FGM is practised, it's often the women who are the "guardians" of the tradition, so this is not a new phenomenon.

• Advertisement

I’ve had my ass, chest, and cock grabbed by women a few times in the past two years. It happens both ways, but when it happens to men it is still considered just a bit of fun. Its not.

SOME women are also scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You didn't say some men. You said a heck of a lot of men. And then go on to say women can't trust men in general. You set the tone of the thread from the very opening post.

This case is horrible. The woman is incredibly brave and is to be commended for what she has done.

I'm sure you'll be able to find a post from me dismissing sexual assault by women?

I mean, you couldn't be just trying to deflect from this case or anything coudl you?

If you like, though, go and start a post about women abusing adult men, and i'll be happy to join in. It's off topic here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

“Heck of alot of men when the opportunity presented”

1) The opportunity didn’t present. Each man went looking for it specifically on that website. The group of men is not even close to representative of “men” as a population. They are a tiny microcosm of men; that technology these days sadly allows them find each other.

2) **** every single one should be shot.

where does it say locally? From my reading (which was brief as I found it harrowing reading); the victim only recognised a single man from her own town?

• Advertisement

Point of information: he wasn't a previously convicted rapist. Once they started looking into him, after they caught him filming up women's skirts, and then found the videos of his wife, then they linked him to an unsolved rape from years back.

His wife said if she had even been informed of a previous fine for the single misdemeanour of upskirting in 2010, she'd have known to be suspicious of what was causing her losses of memory which started in 2011.

But he had no criminal convictions at all.

I'm blaming the men who rape and sexually assault. And repeatedly have said that. Again, stop lying.

So you're not in favour of using education to help fight against this issue. What are you in favour of doing? Nothing?

It is so common and anyone with any knowledge of teenagers will know that it's not getting better in schools. With social media, abuse of girls is way out of hand, that can only lead to more sexual assaults.

Just a guess. Some that I know of have previously identified themselves as male but clearly we have no way of knowing that here.

Hold on there Enoch. You shouldn't be assuming their genders. In some cases, they may even be fluid.

You haven't made a suggestion. Do you think education could help with this? Media campaigns? Because trying to misrepresent people by saying they are blaming all men is certainly doing nothing to help.

“unmoderated French website implicated in more than 23,000 police cases in France alone from 2021 to 2024”

23000 cases over 3 years. Assume many more implications in the decade before. Why does it take so long to shut this type facilitating website down. Assume once these nuts make contact and exchange details it’s too late and WhatsApp or similar become the mode of contact.

Why have you equated a rapist bashing thread to a man bashing thread?

I’ll let the mods decide what’s off topic thanks.

YOUR opening post stinks of man hate, you lost all credibility on page 1.

Any solutions to the issue or just hate?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

This case is beyond horrifying and it is clear and very, very, obvious that many men have serious issues with how they perceive and treat women.

In Ireland and in Europe it's not even clear to me that we think there might be a problem. The people who want to talk about it are either painted as unhinged feminists or actually do come across as unhinged. Yet when those people do talk about it the goal seems to be only to shame men and the only men who are shamed by that approach are those who are likely not committing these kinds of crimes. You think the kind of bloke who would get involved with something like this can be nagged into choosing to not bother?

I can go into Dublin City Centre tomorrow night and along Talbot Steet and Parnell Street I will see young girls only 13, 14, 15 years old wearing revealing clothing being eyeballed by many much older men who will offer to buy them booze from the Spar, Centra, Tesco or Supervalu. What I won't generally see is people talking about it. I've often gotten on public transport on a Friday or Saturday night and seen intoxicated guys in their 20s and 30s hanging out with a gaggle of much younger and much more intoxicated teen girls and, again, I don't see anyone talking about this.

Where did all the "we live in a rape culture" feminists go? Did they just make their money jumping on a trend and then retire to nice safe homes where they could advocate for inclusivity in sports while leaving the vulnerable women of Ireland to their fate?

I wouldn't want my wife walking through Dublin on her own at night and I don't much care if it's "not all men" or whatever. As far as I am concerned it IS all men until proven otherwise. Why would anyone take any other kind of risk?

The fact of the matter is that we live in a culture where a significant number of men do not have any respect or care for women, with a smaller number being actively hostile and aggressive towards them. Lads who would think nothing of "having a go" with a very drunk or very vulnerable woman.

I've been on the wrong side of this argument in the past but if we look at society objectively we can see that there is a very, very, deep issue that we've become experts at dancing around.

It's only going to get worse until we actually wake the hell up and start openly pointing out the things that we are now just quietly noticing.

Really, it's only going to get worse though.

I'd say that as a woman, it's not up to me to propose solutions to male abuse. Isn't that a problem for men to deal with? I don't ask men to fix the problem of abortion access. Oh wait - men keep telling us they want to have a say in that.

So do you have anything to suggest yourself to deal with male violence? Or should we just keep pretending that it's a minor thing that only man-haters get angry about?

• Advertisement

Rapist hate is not man hate! Seriously, why are you getting offended on behalf of these rapists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

To answer the question around what are women to do to identify potential sexual assaulters and rapists, if a heck of a lot of seemingly normal men are also sexual assaulters and rapsits, there's not much you can do other than be suspicious of all men you encounter. Is that a good answer? No it's not, but what other answer is there to that specific question.

Sexual assaulters and rapists don't go around with a neon sign. Sexual assaulters and rapists don't look like creepy perverts hiding in dark shadows wearing raincoats and carrying plastic bags. They look like ordinary men, going about ordinary man business like having jobs, families.

Just like any perpetrator of any crime, they do not fit some neat little niche of looks or behaviours that immediately allow you to identify who is going to commit what crime.

So what are women to do? I don't know, same as I don't know what anyone is to do about any potential crime being committed against them.

What would you advise women to do, as a woman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

"Not all men", sure - but it turns out, "a heck of a lot of men"

that is from the opening post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

the OP herself says that a “heck of a lot of men” are rapists and it’s only the fear of violence from their husbands that stop us from carrying it out

She went on to say that men in general cannot be trusted by women.

It absolutely is a man bashing thread. Even now, you’re accusing anyone who says this is not a representative sample of man is “getting offended on behalf of rapists”. Can you not see how inflammatory and divisive that is, and why some of us might take issue with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you say their analogy is “crushed” because ‘men do it more’ but then without nary missing a beat proceed to pivot to saying that “even if it saves 1 woman … then surely it’s worth it”

So how was their analogy, “crushed???” If their campaign to make some women drivers safer drivers saves even 1 woman from being killed then you would agree it’s worth it. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

Why would it be a problem for "men" to deal with?

These kinds of men aren't just coming from nowhere. Who's teaching them? Who's raising them?

I don't think women should get a free pass here at all. In fact, I'd be deeply suspicious of the motivations of anyone who thinks this isn't as much of an issue for women to solve.

After all, somebody is raising these men.

That's before we even get to the modern issue of blurring lines between gender and sex and insisting that neither are binary anyway.

I'm sure I could risk a ban or a warning here for asking "what is a man" or "what is a woman" but in the current paradigm these are probably valid questions.

In a way it's like we're all tripping over ourselves in an attempt to pass the responsibility to someone else.

I don't know, and it genuinely worries me. But that's the thing, I'm not a man. I'm serious when I say I would like to have some insight from men into this. I mean, unless we're saying there's no such thing as male or female experiences, which I don't believe. I think as a woman you can have an insight into, say, abortion, without actually having had an abortion but just through pregnancy and menstruation - and obviously that isn't the same insight as a woman who's actually had an abortion. And it's not even the same insight as that of a man whose partner has had an abortion - but it's a female experience all the same.

So that's what i was asking for. And some male posters on here have been fantastic. I don't want to name them as I would be sure to unfairly forget other good ones, but they know who they are.

But others have immediately gone into male agression mode. Which, sadly, is so telling.

So are you saying that this woman is herself partly responsible for her rape? I mean, they were married young, so she had some influence on how he developed? Or maybe you mean her mother in law (whom she describes as very submissive to an authoritarian husband) was?

As a general point though, I've acknowledged that many women are indeed complicit with male violence. And as Karen Ingala Smith* once said in a conference about male violence, parents regularly ask how to keep their girls safe, but nobody -mothers or fathers - ever asked her how to stop their sons from becoming rapists.

So yes to that as well. But there's a difference between acknowledging that point, and using it as a stick to shut women up from talking about male violence as a pattern. Which TBH is what some people are doing here.

• Karen Ingala Smith is the woman who started the list called "Counting dead women" where she collates all the women in the UK killed by an intimate partner or family member. She's been doing this in her own time and at her own expense for over a decade, maybe far more.

”constant misrepresentation of what I and others have said” yet claiming the reactions of others on here are “furious”

That’s a double standard, isn’t it? Which reactions are “furious?”

• Advertisement

But almost zero women are perverts or murderers, so the whole basis of your world view is inaccurate

What are you defining as “almost zero?” In the U.S. thousands of women are murderers on a yearly basis, nevermind the world. Are their victims zeroed out too? Studies have also found about 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 male victims of rape were raped by women (and about 4% of women are raped by other women) are they zeroes as well? By this standard the woman victim at the head of this topic is a zero also being given outsized attention vs. the sheer number of victims of murder and rape that have happened even since the start of the thread being created.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement